hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stringed Instrument Pron [Guitar Thread]

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Finally got round to picking up that Yammaha Bass and a new amp. pics tonight

Quote Originally Posted by sarabando View Post
    Nice. Which amp did you end up getting?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    its an Ashdown tourbus 15 just a small amp

Nice buy, those little Ashdowns sound great.
    meh

Nice buy, those little Ashdowns sound great.
    Well no ones complained with my butchering of seven nation army sofar XD im thinking of booking a local tutor for a couple of sessions a week.

Been having loads of fun learning bass the past couple of weeks. I'm struggling to consistently have enough fingering speed (kek) for songs like hysteria though. I guess it's just down to practice since it's so different to either picking or finger style guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Been having loads of fun learning bass the past couple of weeks. I'm struggling to consistently have enough fingering speed (kek) for songs like hysteria though. I guess it's just down to practice since it's so different to either picking or finger style guitar.
    Playing finger style, yeah? Or do you mean left hand speed?
    meh

Yeah playing finger style. I have no problems with my fretting hand.

Yeah, thats pretty much just practice and building strength (because it really is a lot different to guitar). Best routine I know and use to build/maintain speed and left/right coordination is:

Use metronome. 80-120 4/4 10 reps each exercise. Make sure you concentrate on index middle finger alternating.
    Play Am Pentatonic. 8th notes (2 per beat). Down from E/5 -> E/8 -> A/5, A/7, etc. then back up. Kind of like guitar arpeggio practice.
    Play Am Pentatonic. 8th notes. Play three note licks. Like E/5 -> E/8 -> A/5, then E/8 -> A/5 -> A/7. then A/5 -> A/7 -> D/5 and so on, till you get to the bottom then back up in reverse.
    Once thats good and you can do it at any speed, progress to 16ths.

Someone I played in a band with a long time ago who was a fucking excellent player showed me that. It was the single best thing for me getting my right hand accurate.
    meh

im the same i have quite small fingers so i have to play a little slower.

When I played bass I used three fingers and galloped. But I was never good enough on my left hand to make anything of it.

That Yamaha bass is pretty nice.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Yeah, thats pretty much just practice and building strength (because it really is a lot different to guitar). Best routine I know and use to build/maintain speed and left/right coordination is:

Use metronome. 80-120 4/4 10 reps each exercise. Make sure you concentrate on index middle finger alternating.
    Play Am Pentatonic. 8th notes (2 per beat). Down from E/5 -> E/8 -> A/5, A/7, etc. then back up. Kind of like guitar arpeggio practice.
    Play Am Pentatonic. 8th notes. Play three note licks. Like E/5 -> E/8 -> A/5, then E/8 -> A/5 -> A/7. then A/5 -> A/7 -> D/5 and so on, till you get to the bottom then back up in reverse.
    Once thats good and you can do it at any speed, progress to 16ths.

Someone I played in a band with a long time ago who was a fucking excellent player showed me that. It was the single best thing for me getting my right hand accurate.
    Thanks I'll give that a go.

I can't hate my metronome any more than when I was using it to drill picking speed. I'm still surprised I didn't destroy the damn thing.

im freaking out that i can now pick up an instrument and make it make a sound that sounds like real music.....

im freaking out that i can now pick up an instrument and make it make a sound that sounds like real music.....
    It's a ton of hard work but it deffo give back a feels like no other.

In other news, trying out as bassist for a new band today. Kinda nervous. Last band broke up in August when the guitarist moved to the east coast. C standard tuning. I set up my main MIA Fender P. Going to be trying my new Mesa Bass head instead of my faithful Ampeg SVT, so we'll see how that goes.

This is the band.

meh

Decided to some much needed practice this weekend.
    Tried to learn to play Sabbath's Iron man. I have the intro pretty much down. unfortunately i have literally worn a hole in my thumb...FML
    I suck playing with just my fingers and picks never get the sound i want so bollocks :s

Decided to some much needed practice this weekend.
    Tried to learn to play Sabbath's Iron man. I have the intro pretty much down. unfortunately i have literally worn a hole in my thumb...FML
    I suck playing with just my fingers and picks never get the sound i want so bollocks :s
    Was one of the first songs I learned too. If you want a rock sound you will probably want to use a pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devec
    Cool09 is the cancer that is corrupting our society and poisoning our children.

WoT: Redglare[VPG]

i really like the meaty (no pun intended) i get by using my thumb lol

so went into my local stringed instrument pron shop and got to fingerfuck a uke-bass which in reality is just a tiny tiny bass guitar. Guy comes in and asks "cool a ukelalie play a tune" so i bust out Iron man on this tiny fucking thing thats currently plugged into a gig amp and sounds like a full sized bass XD i think ive found my next purchase

The Family as of a few weeks ago: