hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stringed Instrument Pron [Guitar Thread]

Stringed Instrument Pron [Guitar Thread]

I noticed we didn't have a thread where we can :autist: at each other about whether single coils or humbuckers are better.

Guitars, basses, banjos. Anything goes.

My current main squeezes:

What do you all have?
    meh

Not pics of my specific instruments (I've never taken any), but pretty close representations of the models I own:

My #1, PRS Mira 25th Ann. Limited Edition:

My #2, Fender 70's Antigua Stratocaster Reissue:

My Acoustic, Martin DC-15E:

This message is hidden because Don Rumata is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Isyel is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because XenosisMk4 is on your ignore list.
    This message is hidden because Malcanis is on your ignore list.

I love the fret inlays on PRS guitars. Such a great touch.

i have altogether too many guitars.

This is my main guitar though, 1961 Fender Jazzmaster. Not all original, its got simplified wiring, no second circuit, mastery bridge, modern pickups.

These are a couple i built myself. Ive also got a PRS custom 22, a 1966 Fender Mustang, a Strat, a Fender Bass 6, some others. fml

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    that jazzmaster is delicious

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    that jazzmaster is delicious
    meh

Movember '11 Ginger Excellence Movember 2011Movember 2012 sarabando's Avatar
    Sorry for the potato pic. Heres my new electric acoustic bass

Im loving it compared to my squire strat.

Here are a couple of my latest:

Mayones Regius 7 Custom, buckeye burl

Carvin CS624, quilted maple in deep dragonburst with black burst edges

I want to get a small Amp for my Bass but i have no idea what im looking for. Any tips?
    Also has any one got any experience with Yamaha guitars as id like to get a full electric bass but i cant afford a £1600 jobbie.

When you say small amp, do you mean small amp for potentially gigging with or purely practice?

If its gigging, you probably going to need 30-50w, as most guitar players won't know how to turn down properly. If its purely for practice, you can either go straight for headphones (using something like http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugBassG2) or get something in the 10-20w range. For pure practice amps, I'd go for either the Ampeg 108 or the Ashdown Tourbus 15. Both are great sounding little amps. The Markbass Micromark is the tits but expensive.

Yamaha are solid, workmanlike guitars. Generally good quality controls over stuff like squire, etc.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    When you say small amp, do you mean small amp for potentially gigging with or purely practice?

If its gigging, you probably going to need 30-50w, as most guitar players won't know how to turn down properly. If its purely for practice, you can either go straight for headphones (using something like http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugBassG2) or get something in the 10-20w range. For pure practice amps, I'd go for either the Ampeg 108 or the Ashdown Tourbus 15. Both are great sounding little amps. The Markbass Micromark is the tits but expensive.

Yamaha are solid, workmanlike guitars. Generally good quality controls over stuff like squire, etc.
    Thanks
    This is what im thinking of getting around July time.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/YAMAHA-TRBX3...ds=yamaha+bass

Looks pretty good. My only advice would be to get it set up professionally (or learn how to do it yourself) after you get it. Most big stores and/or online retailers won't put that kind of effort into it, and sitting in a stockroom or whatever might throw it out of whack. Standard advice for any guitar you don't buy from a trusted guitar shop.
    meh

Not my pic but same model

Spoiler:

yay.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I'm doing my best. Well. Not really.

Got a 1986 Japan Stratocaster off eBay for what a mate of mine tells me it was a steal. Now to start learning how to play it. Any crash courses available? What would be the most reliable resources to access?

Will poast pics as soon as it reaches me, I'm sincerely overly-excited, it's been a dream of mine for 20 years to learn and play this thing.
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Thing arrived, it's basically flawless except two minor grazings, I'm really amazed how well kept it was. Strings were shit or I am shit because I broke the thin E whilst tuning it. Have like a fsckton of strings, but no tools, so will report back when I get home and manage to change it and stage a proper photo shoot
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?İDoomchinchilla 2015

Bumping the thread.

I wondered down to my wonderful local guitar shop, Guitar Showcase (which is honestly one of the best I've ever seen, their vault is probably worth $2 mil +. They have one of Hendrix's V's and a bunch of other famous/old guitars) for some bass strings and happened across this little bad boy, sitting forlornly in the used section, for just over half what they cost new. Of course, I had to take it home.

Its fucking glorious, I've always wanted a recto, but could never justify $3k for a 150 watt head I could basically never use unless the band gets a stadium gig. This is perfect (and still really loud). Sounds like the voice of an angry, biblical god. Mesa builds good shit.

My wife got me this for my bday last month.

Michael Kelly Dragonfly fretless 4 string. 'tis nice, and fills a gap. Really not bad value either.

Finally:

Just 'cause.
    meh

Very very nice.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Got a 1986 Japan Stratocaster off eBay for what a mate of mine tells me it was a steal. Now to start learning how to play it. Any crash courses available? What would be the most reliable resources to access?

Will poast pics as soon as it reaches me, I'm sincerely overly-excited, it's been a dream of mine for 20 years to learn and play this thing.
    As i said, got pics.

practice amp

I'll post some pictures of the guitars and other amp when i get a chance

Couple of old blurry pictures of 2 of the electrics. When I get studio setup properly again I'll get some better shots of them in future. couple missing + need a picture of the stack too.

Last edited by hinch; April 16 2015 at 06:31:41 PM.
    A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code

My tanglewood something or other with crotch walnut top and a cheapo starter bass I got for about a tenner from a friend. A few practice amps in the picture as well, nothing special.