hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 189 of 197 FirstFirst ... 89139179186187188189190191192 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 3925

Thread: Space the third frontier

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Voyager spacecraft detects 'persistent hum' beyond our solar system: https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/11/world...scn/index.html

(CNN)One of the Earth's longest-flying spacecraft has detected a "persistent hum" beyond our solar system, according to a new study.
    NASA's Voyager 1 launched on September 5 1977, from Cape Canaveral, Florida, aboard a Titan-Centaur rocket, just weeks after its sister craft, Voyager 2. Although they were initially designed to last five years, more than 43 years after they launched, the crafts are still sending back data as they explore interstellar space.
    Instruments aboard Voyager 1, which has moved past the edge of the solar system, through the solar system's border with interstellar space, known as the heliopause, and into the interstellar medium, have detected the sounds of plasma waves, according to research published Monday in the journal Nature Astronomy.

A Cornell University-led team studied data transmitted from the spacecraft, sent from 14 billion miles away and discovered the interstellar gas emissions.
    https://soundcloud.com/nasa/voyager-...-plasma-sounds
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

I hope it finds Nyarlathotep soon and brings it back to Earth already.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    I hope it finds Nyarlathotep soon and brings it back to Earth already.
    He already walks among us wearing his many faces.

But the glorious world eater Azatoth is still out there, sleeping.

Ia! Ia!
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Saw a pretty intresting 60 min clip on youtube about the pentagon ufo sightings and the on and off of a project to collect data about ufos. But from the sounds of it, feels like we are the ants and the aliens are the illusive humans.
    Got a feeling we are being watched by something but thwy arent ready to make proper contact or give us faster warp engines.
    Makes me wonder if the ufos are just some hi-tech alien drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway84 View Post
    Saw a pretty intresting 60 min clip on youtube about the pentagon ufo sightings and the on and off of a project to collect data about ufos. But from the sounds of it, feels like we are the ants and the aliens are the illusive humans.
    Got a feeling we are being watched by something but thwy arent ready to make proper contact or give us faster warp engines.
    One of the HFY stories I'm writing has this as a premise. Aliens have made contact with multiple governments on Earth and would very much like to work with them (being in a tight spot themselves), but aliens don't trust any of them. Rather than gradually provide insights here and there or pick winners, they made a competition. They placed an ancient FTL-capable wreck in the asteroid belt and announced its existence. First nation/organization to retrieve it and reverse-engineer it wins. Cue the rat race, an unlikely winner, and the ceaseless attempts by major nations to steal the spoils.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Considering the current technology if the book isn't placing the US in the obvious lead for this you'd have to write a world quite far ahead in the future. If military dominance would be assured the budget would be limitless to get that.

If the aliens were going to make contact with anybody it would be the CEOs who own the US government.
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    One of the HFY stories I'm writing has this as a premise. Aliens have made contact with multiple governments on Earth and would very much like to work with them (being in a tight spot themselves), but aliens don't trust any of them. Rather than gradually provide insights here and there or pick winners, they made a competition. They placed an ancient FTL-capable wreck in the asteroid belt and announced its existence. First nation/organization to retrieve it and reverse-engineer it wins. Cue the rat race, an unlikely winner, and the ceaseless attempts by major nations to steal the spoils.
    Post a link once its done.

There's literally 0 reason why a UFO would have a live alien in it or why a developed interstellar civilization would give us warp engines if they observed our behaviour for longer than a day.

Decided I want to do stargazing again. Bought a Celestron refractor telescope on Amazon for $75. Should be a good nighttime activity.

Man tuesday has passed by and no news report from the ufo buss. Makes one wonder if they got anything to report other than a few vids showing the aliens trollingly fly by going you cant catch this

Man tuesday has passed by and no news report from the ufo buss. Makes one wonder if they got anything to report other than a few vids showing the aliens trollingly fly by going you cant catch this
    Some shitty lowres footage shot by boomers who cant operate electronics is all there is. Aliens arent going to cross the universe only to fly around spooking pilots and fucking with grainfields. If they're here they'd either make contact or use their advanced technology to stay completely hidden from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Some shitty lowres footage shot by boomers who cant operate electronics is all there is. Aliens arent going to cross the universe only to fly around spooking pilots and fucking with grainfields. If they're here they'd either make contact or use their advanced technology to stay completely hidden from us.
    Or it could be what was suggested by Douglas Adams, bored extra-terrestrial rich kids with spaceships, that like to troll the ignorant yokels.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Why would they do either? Do we care when zebras see us on safari? Sure, we don't needlessly disturb them and drive into the middle of the herd, but we don't go out of our way to remain hidden either.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Bezos is gonna fly on the first manned Blue Origin flight. I guess thats how he can one-up Musk.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/07/t...scn/index.html

[Insert snark here]
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Larkonis Trassler is an antisemite:
    https://bit.ly/3t3NfHs

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Bezos is gonna fly on the first manned Blue Origin flight. I guess thats how he can one-up Musk.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/07/t...scn/index.html

[Insert snark here]
    RIP
    Hiro Cor

Well, at least it shows he's confident with his product. Should be an universal rule: every CEO is mandatory the first customer for their products.

Fingers crossed a fireworks show happens the same day.

Saw a funny tweet about this: "What if Elon auctions that seats?"