hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 195 of 197 FirstFirst ... 95145185192193194195196197 LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,900 of 3922

Thread: Space the third frontier

  1. #3881
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    4,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    This is an incredible reaction.

    Great example of Overview effect.

  2. #3882

    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    7,953
    Did not watch the clip.....but of course why not? fitting in 2021
    Schopenhauer:

    All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

  3. #3883

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,247
    tl;drw
    Rando flat earther argues the zero-G seen in the clip is just a parabolic flight (like for astronauts training), ignoring that those only last for a couple (~20) of seconds, while the Blue Origin crew had - what? - > 2 mins of zero-G.

    In other space news, JWST's start has been postponed 2 days.

  4. #3884

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,247
    That's great news!


  5. #3885
    Jori McKie's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8, 2014
    Location
    Lumpy
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    That's great news!

    It should be fully functional around the 22th January, around summer we can expect pics. So far everything worked fine, next important step will be the unfolding of the heat shield, fingers crossed.
    Does a population have informed consent when that population is not taught the inner workings of its monetary system, and then is drawn, all unknowing, into economic adventures?

  6. #3886
    Mashie Saldana's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    That's great news!

    It should be fully functional around the 22th January, around summer we can expect pics. So far everything worked fine, next important step will be the unfolding of the heat shield, fingers crossed.
    Heat shield was deployed yesterday, next is the secondary mirror followed by the two side bits of the primary mirror.

  7. #3887

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    8,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    That's great news!

    It should be fully functional around the 22th January, around summer we can expect pics. So far everything worked fine, next important step will be the unfolding of the heat shield, fingers crossed.
    Heat shield was deployed yesterday, next is the secondary mirror followed by the two side bits of the primary mirror.
    And the secondary mirror has also been deployed now and we are past the single points of failure for the whole telescope.

    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxvdD2mV4...nSKV3qwb0fX6-U

  8. #3888

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    That's great news!

    It should be fully functional around the 22th January, around summer we can expect pics. So far everything worked fine, next important step will be the unfolding of the heat shield, fingers crossed.
    Heat shield was deployed yesterday, next is the secondary mirror followed by the two side bits of the primary mirror.
    And the secondary mirror has also been deployed now and we are past the single points of failure for the whole telescope.

    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxvdD2mV4...nSKV3qwb0fX6-U

  9. #3889
    Jori McKie's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8, 2014
    Location
    Lumpy
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    That's great news!

    It should be fully functional around the 22th January, around summer we can expect pics. So far everything worked fine, next important step will be the unfolding of the heat shield, fingers crossed.
    Heat shield was deployed yesterday, next is the secondary mirror followed by the two side bits of the primary mirror.
    And the secondary mirror has also been deployed now and we are past the single points of failure for the whole telescope.

    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxvdD2mV4...nSKV3qwb0fX6-U
    Lets hope they didn't mess up the optic again and we get very good and clear infrared pics. I'm most curious if we can get a clue how early black holes and galaxies developed, chicken and egg problem. Especially how early supermassive black holes developed so fast after the big bang either by direct collapsing from a gascloud or by merging from intermediate-mass ones.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDSS_J0100%2B2802
    Does a population have informed consent when that population is not taught the inner workings of its monetary system, and then is drawn, all unknowing, into economic adventures?

  10. #3890

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    8,484
    They have hedged their bets on the optics, each mirror has micro-actuators for alignment and curvature. It will take approx 5 months to align everything up. At this point the mission control is certain that the telescope will work to some extent, but we don't yet know if it will be 100%

  11. #3891
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,751
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    They have hedged their bets on the optics, each mirror has micro-actuators for alignment and curvature. It will take approx 5 months to align everything up. At this point the mission control is certain that the telescope will work to some extent, but we don't yet know if it will be 100%
    Ill take it!

    Good news on progress of Humanity, 2022 certainly improves upon 2021 so far :P

  12. #3892

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    8,484
    And the deployment of the James Webb telescope is now complete with the main mirror wings latched in position. Next up is the first pass on moving the mirrors out of their launch positions and starting to align them, followed by the L2 insertion burn and then about 5 more months of alignment and calibration

  13. #3893
    Mashie Saldana's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    And the deployment of the James Webb telescope is now complete with the main mirror wings latched in position. Next up is the first pass on moving the mirrors out of their launch positions and starting to align them, followed by the L2 insertion burn and then about 5 more months of alignment and calibration
    And cooling down to the -240C operating temperature.

  14. #3894

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    That thing is going to explode so fuckin hard.
    "We completed all our testing goals"
    YouTube monetisation strategy
    everyday astronaut is currently posting a 3h walkaround of the factory with Elon, you can see how his mind work, it's a pretty amazing piece of new journalism:

    here's the first part:

    With early test rockets, he explains that there is a bunch of systems that they are not testing for early on and therefore you either make a lawn ornament, store it or push the boundaries and watch it explode. Spaceship 4 is designed to test making it to orbit, he will consider it a win as long as they don't blow the pad up.

    They ended up getting rid of early block V falcon 9 because they itterated so much that it was better to just keep them for one way trip than to catch em' and spend extra time getting them ready.

    Basically it's not a complete production starship aniway, if they where to save it somehow they'd have to deal with storing that huge bitch somewhere.

    anyway, I highly recommend the interview, the youtube guy is knowledgable and interesting and Elon is not only explaining shit, but also rethinking design mid conversation.
    Or you could watch any number of videos that show musk to be bullshitter and Psychopath he is .

    https://www.youtube.com/c/Thunderf00t/videos

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgK...ypunYog/videos

    good luck launching rockets when Musk has made getting anything into space impossible , with his Starlink project drastically increasing the odds of Kessler effect. Although hopefully there is a chance that project will go belly up this year.

  15. #3895

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    [...] chicken and egg problem.
    Actually ... dinosaurs (eggs) -> birds. Problem solved.

    But yeah, can't wait to read/watch about the results of it. The development of the early galaxies is ofc the thing it meant to do first and foremost. But with infrared being able to look "behind the curtains" of nebulas - which denied Hubble vision, I'm also quite curious what they will find out about the parts of milky way that we haven't gotten a look at yet.

  16. #3896
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,289
    There's always a worry that the further we look the more likely we are to discover some form of cosmic horror
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  17. #3897
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    There's always a worry that the further we look the more likely we are to discover some form of cosmic horror
    All the more reason to discover it before it discovers us.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

  18. #3898

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Chichester, UK
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmoore View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    That thing is going to explode so fuckin hard.
    "We completed all our testing goals"
    YouTube monetisation strategy
    everyday astronaut is currently posting a 3h walkaround of the factory with Elon, you can see how his mind work, it's a pretty amazing piece of new journalism:

    here's the first part:

    With early test rockets, he explains that there is a bunch of systems that they are not testing for early on and therefore you either make a lawn ornament, store it or push the boundaries and watch it explode. Spaceship 4 is designed to test making it to orbit, he will consider it a win as long as they don't blow the pad up.

    They ended up getting rid of early block V falcon 9 because they itterated so much that it was better to just keep them for one way trip than to catch em' and spend extra time getting them ready.

    Basically it's not a complete production starship aniway, if they where to save it somehow they'd have to deal with storing that huge bitch somewhere.

    anyway, I highly recommend the interview, the youtube guy is knowledgable and interesting and Elon is not only explaining shit, but also rethinking design mid conversation.
    Or you could watch any number of videos that show musk to be bullshitter and Psychopath he is .

    https://www.youtube.com/c/Thunderf00t/videos

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgK...ypunYog/videos

    good luck launching rockets when Musk has made getting anything into space impossible , with his Starlink project drastically increasing the odds of Kessler effect. Although hopefully there is a chance that project will go belly up this year.
    Why is this guy such a fucking cretin, on the surface it sounds so cool.

    1. Cheaper space flight, and I totally buy into his reasoning comparing space flight to commercial flights and the importance of re-useability. Watching the heavy falcon side rockets land was cool as fuck.
    2. The big space ship thing looks fucking cool.
    3. I love the idea of starlink, I think it should be a global utility that he is just providing and selling to customers, to fund it, but ultimately control of it is somewhere else? IF that makes sense?


    But the man is a massive ding-dong.

  19. #3899

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    6,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    There's always a worry that the further we look the more likely we are to discover some form of cosmic horror
    Given that we already know about black holes ... what could be worse?

    We might discover different "horrors"*), but worse than basically "ends everything"?

    *) Though I personally don't think of these as horrific, but rather as amazing, astounishing, mind-blowing.

  20. #3900
    Specially Pegged Donor Overspark's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    NL fuck yeah
    Posts
    4,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Equium Duo View Post
    But the man is a massive ding-dong.
    All billionaires are (to various degrees). Some of them still manage to produce pretty neat stuff.

    Re: the Kessler syndrome; while the number of satellites Starlink is putting up there is definitely something to watch closely, the vast majority of them are on a sufficiently low orbit that they'll de-orbit on their own in a matter of years IIRC. So this shouldn't be a big deal for Kessler syndrome.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •