hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 145 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4595135142143144145146147 LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 2937

Thread: NASA Live

Reports that Russian / US crew have had to make an emergency landing after booster failure upon launch.

It appears a safe landing has been made and there are no major injuries.

A two-man Russian-American crew has returned to Earth in their Soyuz capsule in an emergency landing following a problem with the booster rocket shortly after a launch bound for the International Space Station.

Russian media cited sources as saying the astronaut and cosmonaut were alive after the problem occurred following the on-schedule launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

Search-and-rescue teams were headed to the area where the capsule was expected to come down for what a NASA TV announcer said was likely to be a "hard landing."

The capsule went into "ballistic descent mode" after the problem occurred, she said.

Woops ... haven't seen any reporting of this as of yet.

The capsule went into "ballistic descent mode" after the problem occurred, she said.
    Nice way to say it fell outa the sky

This is the day roscosmos finally fucking died. First Soyuz accident in over 40 years i think?

If we want to survive as a species we need to start dealing with the fact that space exloration is risky, dangerous and people will die. Seeing politicians turning it's back on space as soon as something minor happens makes me really sad. Especially if you compare it to casualties on road or literally any other casualty figure.

Politicians were the ones that ruined russian space in the first place with nepotism and corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Politicians were the ones that ruined Russia in the first place with nepotism and corruption.
    fyp

Fair enough i guess but then russia was only fine for a total of 30 years last century if you look at it from this angle

Shit... glad they lived but if this leads to Soyuz being grounded there is risk of space station being abandoned. Commercial crew wasn't going to have first test flights until 19H1.

This is the day roscosmos finally fucking died. First Soyuz accident in over 40 years i think?
    The escape system worked and the crew survived. That's not something we've seen before so I'll prefer to look at it from a half glass full perspective and say; Good job engineers!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    The escape system worked and the crew survived. That's not something we've seen before so I'll prefer to look at it from a half glass full perspective and say; Good job engineers!
    This.

Shit goes wrong. Plan B performed as designed.

How the malfunction came about with determine the next step. Inherent issues caused by budget cuts and bad governance or ' just one of those things ' .

What the ISS doesn't need is knee jerk policies from any agency.

Is there any confirmation was LAS actually used? It should have been discarded by regular schedule by the time of the accident. From what we know it looks like 2nd stage didn't fire or stopped firing very soon. Reported incident (by Sputnik I think) is very bizzare. Supposedly one of 4 side boosters hit 2nd stage on separation... How, why? Soyuz has been flying for 50 years...

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    If we want to survive as a species we need to start dealing with the fact that space exloration is risky, dangerous and people will die.
    RIP the director of Roskosmos. The Soyuz accident was incompatible with his life.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar

Photo of the launch from the ISS

Youtube video of the failure at staging

Last edited by Evelgrivion; October 11 2018 at 04:17:36 PM.

best part: first american to survive launch vehicle failure

NASA live feed immediately cut to animated feed of the Soyuz spacecraft lol

It's good to see that Soviet tech is still working properly

Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    best part: first american to survive launch vehicle failure
    dark, but seems accurate
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_7K-T_No.39

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_7K-ST_No._16L

I mean, that's great and all but with the current state of roscosmos i would expect things to continue going downhill and who knows what might happen next.

Years later, in an interview with the American History Channel regarding the flight, Titov claimed that the crew's first action after the escape rocket fired was to deactivate the spacecraft's cockpit voice recorder because, as he put it, "We were swearing".[4]
    Soviet astronauts, legends.
    Last edited by RazoR; October 12 2018 at 05:43:24 AM.

Years later, in an interview with the American History Channel regarding the flight, Titov claimed that the crew's first action after the escape rocket fired was to deactivate the spacecraft's cockpit voice recorder because, as he put it, "We were swearing".[4]
    Soviet astronauts, legends.

They're called cosmonauts you capitalist pigdog!