hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 138 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3888128135136137138139140141 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 2844

Thread: NASA Live

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Satellites are built in clean-rooms because of "sensitive microelectronics". Planetary probes that land places are build in extra clean rooms to prevent potential contamination, but I'm fairly certain only NASA and ESA care about that. I doubt USSR ever gave a shit, similar for Chinese and Indian probes today.
    USSR sterlilised everything they launched after the 1967 treaty which forbids bringing space bacteria back to earth or sending earth bacteria to planetary bodies. Lunokhod benefited from this because it had a soil probe which could test for bacteria.

China and India is a signatory to the treaty too so they should be giving a shit and I've no evidence that they don't. So is North Korea interestingly.

SpaceX breaching the treaty on behalf of the US would be an issue if you care about it from a legal point of view.

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Who says they didn't sanitize the car?

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Is the Tesla Car on it's way to mars? Or just dangling around near Earth orbit?
    Literally 2 posts up. They kerbal'd it and went, fuck it, full burn.. It's going way past Mars.
    Lol! I didnt get that, I was wondering wtf that tweet talked about.

Meh, I was expecting Tesla satellite or even more so maybe, a glorious impact on the surface.
    That would have been pretty shitty since they didn't sterilise the car. People involved in contamination studies are furious that it's in space in the first place, putting Earth bacteria on Mars would give them heart attacks.

It would be pretty dumb too

That's the reason that satellites and spacecraft are built in cleanrooms
    Fuck it, survival of the fittest.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Who says they didn't sanitize the car?
    Knowing Elon Musk, he probably jizzed into the glove compartment, in the hopes of establishing of new race of interstellar superhumans or something...

Cc: @elonmusk

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Is the Tesla Car on it's way to mars? Or just dangling around near Earth orbit?
    Literally 2 posts up. They kerbal'd it and went, fuck it, full burn.. It's going way past Mars.
    Lol! I didnt get that, I was wondering wtf that tweet talked about.

Meh, I was expecting Tesla satellite or even more so maybe, a glorious impact on the surface.
    That would have been pretty shitty since they didn't sterilise the car. People involved in contamination studies are furious that it's in space in the first place, putting Earth bacteria on Mars would give them heart attacks.

It would be pretty dumb too

That's the reason that satellites and spacecraft are built in cleanrooms
    Fuck it, survival of the fittest.
    Yeah, the next bacteria on Mars will be human anyway no? Wouldn't terraforming be much, much worse?
    But ok I understand the argument, not agreeing, the idea was to put it in Mars orbit which they had been cleared for, wasnt it?
    On the other hand, if you go balls deep full thrust into Mars (thin) atmosphere and slam into the surface at a gazillion mph wouldnt that clean things up?
    Also, what would we contaminate on Mars?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

something to listen to while watching the car in spaec

furthermore

Last edited by Lief Siddhe; February 7 2018 at 09:26:10 PM.
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

furthermore

Great. Now aliens will think that humans are primitive race unable to build even a simple vehicle.

but we are
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

why dont you go wear a fucking suit about it dad

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    why dont you go wear a fucking suit about it dad
    *56K Lagman runs upstairs, slams door, plays loud music*

WRT the orbit of the Roadster/2nd stage:

It's in an approximate 2.4:1 orbital resonance with Earth, so it won't be back around for a while. It's within the expected values of 380-540 million KM from earth[1] at maximum, on the lower end. It is on an elliptical orbit with a semi-major axis of about 1.8 AU and a period of about 878 days. There should be a "close" (several million km) flyby of Earth in around 12 years. I don't have the right ascension of ascending node, inclination, or argument of periapsis so I can't calculate the actual orbit.

[1]

We are still trying to find out if there is/was life on Mars. We want to be sure that if we *do* find something that it wasn’t something we brought with us. Then, if there is Martian life, well, now it has competition, and there goes investigating an alien ecosystem in isolation (however microscopic it might be). Those are just the practical arguments from a research perspective. You still have the ethical arguments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu11u5 View Post
    We are still trying to find out if there is/was life on Mars. We want to be sure that if we *do* find something that it wasn’t something we brought with us. Then, if there is Martian life, well, now it has competition, and there goes investigating an alien ecosystem in isolation (however microscopic it might be). Those are just the practical arguments from a research perspective. You still have the ethical arguments as well.
    Any Martian life that has managed to survive the billions of years since Mars was a wet planet is likely to be an extremophile of the highest order super evolved to its environment. Earth bacteria would be at a huge disadvantage coming from an environment less harsh.

The real problem would be if live on both Earth and Mars had a common source and spread via panspermia from one to the other. Then it would make it hard to separate out Earth microbes from Mars microbes if they share a common RNA/DNA structure.

Mostly likely we will be finding fossil life if we find life at all. Then the important thing is not contaminating the samples as they are collected.

One of the big ifs is going to be the impact of all that radiation on Earth microbes, how it will adapt and mutate, and will that it turn pose risks.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar

Suck it, Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Just a question of time.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post

furthermore

Spoiler:

Great. Now aliens will think that humans are primitive race unable to build even a simple vehicle.
    That's why the address is disguised as "earth", instead of Sol III. This way nobody will ever find out.