hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 120 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2070110117118119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 2529

Thread: NASA Live

Am I correct in identifying this guy as VP Pence? gg :slowclap:

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Breakers View Post

Persevere you get used to it. Isaac Arthur is a fucking don!

There's some really really good shit on his channel and his approach to very speculative topics is refreshingly pragmatic.
    It might not be enough since these portable ones are really shit.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    It is in quote marks, which means the opposite.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

VP Pence displaying humor? Surely that cant be correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Apart from being a Religious Nutbar Gay Hater, Pence would be......tolerable......as President.

Surely better than Trump.

Also: America Space Cop Army, bad idea. That is all.
    Last edited by Alistair; July 8 2017 at 04:03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Apart from being a Religious Nutbar Gay Hater, Pence would be......tolerable......as President.

Religous nutbar gayhater can be neutralized because of the percentage of constituents who are against religious nutbarisms and support gay rights is well above 50% throughout most of the US.

Though the looney left has started to support the concept of sexual preference being a choice and has started an anti-science campaign to push their agenda and I'm worried that the wacky right is going to pick up on this and use it to validate 'pray the gay away' camps. I foresee a shitshow regardless of who is president.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Religous nutbar gayhater can be neutralized because of the percentage of constituents who are against religious nutbarisms and support gay rights is well above 50% throughout most of the US.

Though the looney left has started to support the concept of sexual preference being a choice and has started an anti-science campaign to push their agenda and I'm worried that the wacky right is going to pick up on this and use it to validate 'pray the gay away' camps. I foresee a shitshow regardless of who is president.
    Remember, choices can be discriminated against. Natural traits cannot.

But yes, I don't frankly fear Pence, because his Uber-Religious social policies would go nowhere fast, but he'd be at least "presidential" and semi-competent in most respects.

Far Right for everyone here of course, but still better than Trump. A run over puppy is better than Trump.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    Lets try to keep our posts about space in the space thread.

Enceladus’ sea floor has hydrothermal vents like ours

In 1977, a group of marine researchers discovered something they’d only before theorized: cracks in the ocean floor releasing heat, warming up (and often boiling) the ocean around it. They also found mollusks in them, and subsequent vents have yielded heat resistant microbes, giant tube worms, and more fantastic creatures living in what are essentially small, underwater volcanoes.

Now, NASA has announced that they have indirect evidence for hydrothermal vents beyond Earth. In its encounters with Saturn’s moon Enceladus, the Cassini craft found chemicals associated with these events. The results were published today in Science. It adds to the body of evidence that Enceladus could be ripe for life.

"Enceladus is too small to have retained the hydrogen from when it formed, so the hydrogen we see today is coming from inside Enceladus," Linda Spilker, project scientist on the Cassini mission, said in a press conference.

Enceladus, which is a tiny moon, took Cassini researchers by surprise when they discovered what seemed to be geysers of water emitting from the south pole in 2005. Subsequent investigations built a picture of the origin: liquid water under the surface of Enceladus, which led to the idea of an entire ocean under the surface. The heating mechanism, to date, has not been discovered.

The Ion Neutral Mass Spectrometer on the craft made the observation of molecular hydrogen in the ejecta from these geysers. According to principal investigator Hunter Waite of the Southwest Research Institute and his co-investigators, the source almost certainly has to be hydrothermal vents at Enceladus’ sea floor. This means there’s plenty of geological activity, increasing the chances for life.

Indeed, researchers published a paper last year suggesting that hydrothermal vents were the source of life on Earth, where chemical reactions fed these early microbes. If that’s the case on Enceladus, the ocean may have microbial life at the very least.

"The hydrogen could be a potential source of chemical energy for any microbes living in Enceladus' ocean," Spilker says.

Of course, it may be years or even decades until we know for sure — in September, NASA will intentionally crash Cassini into Saturn to make sure it doesn’t crash land into Titan or Enceladus and accidentally contaminate either potentially habitable moon with Earth bacteria.

I always wanted it to be Europa. Oh well, may as well be Enceladus.

Blagh. I'm a bit jaded with the "search for life" in our solar system at least.

I hope to live long enough to swim in a spherical zero g swimming pool with a central air cavity that has other swimming pools floating around inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

I hope to live long enough to swim in a spherical zero g swimming pool with a central air cavity that has other swimming pools floating around inside it.
    Would you be able to swim in zero G? I would imagine it would just be a short panic while trying to beat the sphere of water off you until you drown in a bubble of water that you can't get off your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

Would you be able to swim in zero G? I would imagine it would just be a short panic while trying to beat the sphere of water off you until you drown in a bubble of water that you can't get off your head.
    obviously you'd be in scuba gear

Juno's first pictures of Sturn's Great Red Spot: https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/jun...1;]=PERIJOVE+7

Pic size is quite large, so not img-linking them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

You need to have realistic expectations. I'm thinking self replicating complex molecules resembling proteins, not something I will discuss literature with.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

You need to have realistic expectations. I'm thinking self replicating complex molecules resembling proteins, not something I will discuss literature with.
    Realistic expectations? Searching for intelligent life in the universe will probably be several orders of magnitude easier than looking for complex proteins outside the earths orbit. It'll be a damn sight more meaningful too, as instead of providing the bottom range in one variable in the drake equation, you set the upper range of the equations possible result.

Sadly, I think the great filter explanation for the Fermi paradox is the correct one. I don't think we'll find intelligent life before we mass-extinction-event our biosphere into oblivion.

I'd rather focus on technologies that expand the potential habitabiloty
    of the solar system than look beyond it, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

Realistic expectations? Searching for intelligent life in the universe will probably be several orders of magnitude easier than looking for complex proteins outside the earths orbit. It'll be a damn sight more meaningful too, as instead of providing the bottom range in one variable in the drake equation, you set the upper range of the equations possible result.
    Lol no, rethink what you just said. And as clarification I don't mean carbon based blah blah but something we'll be able to classify as analogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sadly, I think the great filter explanation for the Fermi paradox is the correct one. I don't think we'll find intelligent life before we mass-extinction-event our biosphere into oblivion.
    "The filter lies ahead of us" is only one of two possibilities for the Great Filter, if I may take this opportunity to be pedantic.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal