hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 121 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2171111118119120121122123 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 2449

Thread: NASA Live

I always wanted it to be Europa. Oh well, may as well be Enceladus.

Blagh. I'm a bit jaded with the "search for life" in our solar system at least.

I hope to live long enough to swim in a spherical zero g swimming pool with a central air cavity that has other swimming pools floating around inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

I hope to live long enough to swim in a spherical zero g swimming pool with a central air cavity that has other swimming pools floating around inside it.
    Would you be able to swim in zero G? I would imagine it would just be a short panic while trying to beat the sphere of water off you until you drown in a bubble of water that you can't get off your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

Would you be able to swim in zero G? I would imagine it would just be a short panic while trying to beat the sphere of water off you until you drown in a bubble of water that you can't get off your head.
    obviously you'd be in scuba gear

Juno's first pictures of Sturn's Great Red Spot: https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/jun...1;]=PERIJOVE+7

Pic size is quite large, so not img-linking them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

You need to have realistic expectations. I'm thinking self replicating complex molecules resembling proteins, not something I will discuss literature with.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post

You need to have realistic expectations. I'm thinking self replicating complex molecules resembling proteins, not something I will discuss literature with.
    Realistic expectations? Searching for intelligent life in the universe will probably be several orders of magnitude easier than looking for complex proteins outside the earths orbit. It'll be a damn sight more meaningful too, as instead of providing the bottom range in one variable in the drake equation, you set the upper range of the equations possible result.

Sadly, I think the great filter explanation for the Fermi paradox is the correct one. I don't think we'll find intelligent life before we mass-extinction-event our biosphere into oblivion.

I'd rather focus on technologies that expand the potential habitabiloty
    of the solar system than look beyond it, at this point.

Realistic expectations? Searching for intelligent life in the universe will probably be several orders of magnitude easier than looking for complex proteins outside the earths orbit. It'll be a damn sight more meaningful too, as instead of providing the bottom range in one variable in the drake equation, you set the upper range of the equations possible result.
    Lol no, rethink what you just said. And as clarification I don't mean carbon based blah blah but something we'll be able to classify as analogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Sadly, I think the great filter explanation for the Fermi paradox is the correct one. I don't think we'll find intelligent life before we mass-extinction-event our biosphere into oblivion.
    "The filter lies ahead of us" is only one of two possibilities for the Great Filter, if I may take this opportunity to be pedantic.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

I'd rather focus on technologies that expand the potential habitabiloty
    of the solar system than look beyond it, at this point.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    "The filter lies ahead of us" is only one of two possibilities for the Great Filter, if I may take this opportunity to be pedantic.
    Sure, that is correct. But until we are actually a stable multiplanetary species I think the prudent thing is to act as if it's in front of us, particularly with the twin threats of climate change and nuclear war.

the twin threats of climate change and nuclear war.
    Trump isn't the great filter. He's the greatest filter.

Of course your attitude to becoming multi-planetary will partly depend on whether you think a species that annihilates its home planet deserves another try...

Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post
    Of course your attitude to becoming multi-planetary will partly depend on whether you think a species that annihilates its home planet deserves another try...
    I couldn't really give a damn about "deserves"

It may also depend on whether or not you think *planets* are a good use of resources in the first place, in terms of habitation or computation.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ross-...mystery-2017-7

Astronomers have detected 'strange signals' that may come from a star 11 light-years away
    This is the signal in question.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar

Lol no, rethink what you just said. And as clarification I don't mean carbon based blah blah but something we'll be able to classify as analogues.
    Lol, no.

Third try's a charm, I guess.