hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 131 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3181121128129130131132133134141 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 2837

Thread: NASA Live

Why exactly is he an idiot? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    It's incredibly vain.

I mean it's humorous, but it's very self-congratulatory.

Why not something that's meaningful to the entire team that accomplished this no-bullshit incredible engineering feat?
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; December 30 2017 at 07:00:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    It's incredibly vain.

I mean why not something that's meaningful to the entire team that accomplished this no-bullshit incredible engineering feat?
    If I know teams of nerds, they are probably way into the "fuck the haters" aspect of it.
    meh

Sure, and that's their prerogative. Maybe there's a certain easter-egg in the trunk or something.

I mean I'm not outraged or anything, like I said I think it's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
      Spoiler:

What a fucking moron
    I understand why you'd be upset. The car alone is probably worth more than what your entire village produces in a year. Such waste.

It's incredibly vain.

Why not something that's meaningful to the entire team that accomplished this no-bullshit incredible engineering feat?
    I can see it from that aspect, but given what he's been able to pull together in terms of talent and achieve, I can forgive him the grandstanding.

Well, the plan is for it to play Bowie's "Space Oddity" on the way up.

It's reasonably good as a dummy payload. With the rather high chance that the thing explodes there's not much point risking a real payload anyone cares about. And if it succeeds you get a car on a Hohmann transfer orbit to Mars, which fits rather well with the "silliest thing" he could think up. Personally I'd have included a teapot as a Bertrand Russel reference.

Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post
    Personally I'd have included a teapot as a Bertrand Russel reference.
    See, that is classy. I'd support your space program.

It's reasonably good as a dummy payload. With the rather high chance that the thing explodes there's not much point risking a real payload anyone cares about. And if it succeeds you get a car on a Hohmann transfer orbit to Mars, which fits rather well with the "silliest thing" he could think up. Personally I'd have included a teapot as a Bertrand Russel reference.
    If you're going to stick something in orbit around Mars in preparation for a manned mission then why not at least send something cheap and potentially useful like water or solar panels?

Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    If you're going to stick something in orbit around Mars in preparation for a manned mission then why not at least send something cheap and potentially useful like water or solar panels?
    Future Mars colonists may want to drive 50-60km between recharges when they finally arrive?

Because something capable of maintaining an orbit around Mars is going to cost a lot more than a 10 year old electric car

Because something capable of maintaining an orbit around Mars is going to cost a lot more than a 10 year old electric car
    I thought that Musk had said that the car was going to orbit Mars for a billion years?

It's NOT GOING TO ORBIT MARS. It's going into a Hohmann transfer orbit: it's going to be orbiting the sun on a path that periodically takes it between Earth and Mars. There's no plan to circularize at mars, and no way to do so, that takes another rocket stage.

It's pretty much just getting launched out of Earths gravity well in one go. It would be a shame if it didn't have some kind of antenna or whatever on it though.

It's incredibly vain.

Because its a test flight with a high chance of failing and if this was a regular rocket company payload would have been a simple inert block to act as mass simulator.

It's pretty cool marketing tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
      Spoiler:

What a fucking moron
    I understand why you'd be upset. The car alone is probably worth more than what your entire village produces in a year. Such waste.
    Hahaha

I'm from a 3rd world country I get it

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evelgrivion View Post
    Whats the one furthest to the right? Falcon 9? looks a bit big?

Why are all those NASA fantasy launchers in the image? Saturn 5 at least existed lol