hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 4 of 2469 FirstFirst 123456714541045041004 ... LastLast

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Stupid fucks thinking that our congress has anything to do with Ebola outbreaks or ISIL.
    Somehow the Republicans have been able to frame ISIL as a result of Obama pulling out of Iraq, ignoring the fact that he was withdrawing under a timeline that had been established by Bush. I think that the Democrats have overused "It was Bushes fault" to the point that nobody wants to hear it, even if it is true. So yeah, Obama gets blamed for ISIL, and Democrats in Congress suffer for it.

Never mind that ISIL never could have come to be if we hadn't invaded Iraq in 2003, but whatevs.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    And going forward to 2016, they'll have to do something about that. Blaming it on youth vote turnout won't cut it. They'll have to walk the walk for the middleclass, or come up with a damned good reason why they didn't.

The Obama era is over, the Democrats will have to reinvent themselves all over again ...
    Well Hilary Clinton is most likely gonna be the nominee in 2016, so the Democratic base is going to be hyped about not only another Clinton, but the first woman president. If the economy improves even a little and Obama doesn't fuck anything up too bad, Hilary could very well annihilate the Republican candidate. After all, Bill Clinton is the only president in the last few decades to have significant amounts of bi-partisan support. Apparently all the people from the Reagan administration that endorsed Obama have gone unnoticed, but whatever.
    To bad she's has about as much charisma as an angry brick.

Maybe the Republicans will have another emotionless brick for 2016! Romney returns!
    Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"
    Bertrand Russell - the Triumph of Stupidity (1933)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity." -Yeats, 1919

Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Can anyone explain to me in a couple paragraphs why the Rs have landslided this despite being awful, that debacle with the fiscal cliff, all the other bullshit, economy massively improving etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Can anyone explain to me in a couple paragraphs why the Rs have landslided this despite being awful, that debacle with the fiscal cliff, all the other bullshit, economy massively improving etc?
    better pr

Maybe the Republicans will have another emotionless brick for 2016! Romney returns!
    Jeb Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    better pr
    That's a joke, right?

aka Mitix

Midterm elections generally bring older, whiter, wealthier voters. Midterm = Non-Presidential Year.

Most of the seats up for grabs were in traditionally right-wing strongholds or right-leaning states.

Americans generally do not vote based on logic. On either side of the political spectrum.

Republicans / Tea-partiers focused heavily on the culture war (yet again).

The economy sucks, and:

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    better pr
    Better PR, and the population that participated in the elections still think the Republican candidates looked like the best option in their electoral districts.

I can explain it in 1 (run on) sentence. The democrats promised me more affordable healthcare and more affordable schooling. In the 6 years that have followed; my healthcare has nearly doubled in price with 0 improvement in the care provided; The prospects of me going to school in affordable manner are just as distant as they were; And all the while my taxes have increased considerably.

Because a large % of people (not just in America, but we've done a lot to exacerbate the problem in the past 30+ years) tend to believe things that make them feel good regardless of their veracity.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    I can explain it in 1 (run on) sentence. The democrats promised me more affordable healthcare and more affordable schooling. In the 6 years that have followed; my healthcare has nearly doubled in price with 0 improvement in the care provided; The prospects of me going to school in affordable manner are just as distant as they were; And all the while my taxes have increased considerably.
    The only change in Federal Tax Brackets between 2003 and 2014 was the addition of the 39.6% rate in 2013 for single filers making $400,001 or more and married couples making $450,001 or more.

Has this tax increase really hurt you?

Or are you referring to the sentiment that GOP voters seem to have about enormous tax burdens?

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ValorousBob View Post
    And going forward to 2016, they'll have to do something about that. Blaming it on youth vote turnout won't cut it. They'll have to walk the walk for the middleclass, or come up with a damned good reason why they didn't.

The Obama era is over, the Democrats will have to reinvent themselves all over again ...
    Well Hilary Clinton is most likely gonna be the nominee in 2016, so the Democratic base is going to be hyped about not only another Clinton, but the first woman president. If the economy improves even a little and Obama doesn't fuck anything up too bad, Hilary could very well annihilate the Republican candidate. After all, Bill Clinton is the only president in the last few decades to have significant amounts of bi-partisan support. Apparently all the people from the Reagan administration that endorsed Obama have gone unnoticed, but whatever.
    To bad she's has about as much charisma as an angry brick.
    Everyone talks as if Hillary is going to waltz into the White House, no sweat. It is not going to be that easy.

If she'll run, she'll win the Democratic primaries no doubt. Because I can't think of a Democrat who can run against her. Including Elizabeth Warren I'm sorry to say. But the elections themselves will be another matter. She doesn't have the support Obama could count on. I.e., blacks, youth, Hispanics. Most won't go anywhere, because there's no alternative for them with the Republicans (at least, for now). But Hillaries right wing stances (and she has many), don't go down well with them either. Even among women she's not as popular as you'd expect. And the Republicans have been hitting her for years now, and she'll have to go over all that, as well as all those skeletons in the closet, all over again. So I think her election, ofcourse depending on who she'll be running against, will be closer than some think.

And then what? If the Republicans obstructed Obama every which way they could/can, what do you think will happen with Hillary? Bill's bi-partisan support means nothing until the voters punish the Republicans for their obstructionism, which they just failed to do. For the Democrats to break the deadlock (and only they can/want to), they'll now need to win back both the house and the senate. With Hillary. Chances of that happening after a bruising election are quite small indeed. So, as said, you lot will be right back where you started.

I don't think Hillary will be dream ticket some make her out to be. She comes with a massive amount of baggage, and your political system is just too broken.

I am the 99.99998% Tyrus Tenebros's Avatar
    Poe's law?
    I tried to be cool and all I got was a lousy warning about my sig being too big.

Who runs your healthcare? Are the doctors controlled by the federal government, or do they work for private hospitals?
    Then concern yourself with who raised taxes - was it state, or federal tax changes, and what (sector) changed?

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt"

I find it incredible that a whole country can actually be more retarded than FHC.

Super Ponerator Global Moderator Evelgrivion's Avatar
    Who runs your healthcare? Are the doctors controlled by the federal government, or do they work for private hospitals?
    Then concern yourself with who raised taxes - was it state, or federal tax changes, and what (sector) changed?
    What? You're asking and expecting us to have civic awareness? Isn't that what we elect politicians to do for us?

John Oliver's youtube show actually covers this pretty well - how busy state legislatures and governments have been while the federal side is completely bogged down.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    The only change in Federal Tax Brackets between 2003 and 2014 was the addition of the 39.6% rate in 2013 for single filers making $400,001 or more and married couples making $450,001 or more.

Has this tax increase really hurt you?

Or are you referring to the sentiment that GOP voters seem to have about enormous tax burdens?
    No I am actually referring to my property taxes; which have risen by about 25% since `08

My healthcare is run by an insurance company. Said insurance company had mandates enforced upon them by the AHA; as a result my healthcare cost skyrocketed, My care network shrank; The upside is that I am now covered for condoms, mammograms & colonoscopies are now always covered(previously before 30 y/o they were considered elective/optional unless at the direction of a doctor), and pre natal & delivery care if I knock up my girlfriend and/or if I were to put her on as my dependent she could get birth control for free.

As said above; my municipality has increased the property tax rate, this is due to the state redirecting funds, due to the Fed redirecting funds. NJ has historically had very low returns from the fed for taxes collected; the past few years especially so. For 2013 it stands at a rate of 0.48, 4 lowest in the nation.
    Last edited by Straight Hustlin; November 5 2014 at 08:53:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    I pay 28% of my income in Federal Income Tax.
    I pay 6.2% of my income in Social Security Tax.
    I pay 1.45% of my income in Medicare Tax.
    I pay 6% of my income in State Income Tax.

That's 41.65% of my income taken off the top.

That means I must work full time thru the end of May (give or take), before I get to take home the first penny of my income for myself.

On top of that, I pay 6% in State Sales Tax, on almost all goods purchased in the State, and 26% on Alcohol, further increasing my effective tax burden to ~45%, give or take.

Add on the various property taxes, car taxes, gasoline taxes (above sales tax), locality taxes, and various use fees, permits, licence fees (I like to fish), and the effective rate at the end of the day is easily ~50%.

So I get to keep about half of what I earn each year. And I'm in a pretty low tax bracket.

I live in one of the most expensive cost-of-living counties in the United States.

Decide for yourself I suppose if that is paying too much, too little, etc.

I could certainly stand to keep more of what I earn, I have plenty of pretty vital uses for it. Seriously. Like helping my own less fortunate family members, to start, one here, one in IRE.

But I doubt either party will ever make that happen, and to our European friends, I am sure my burden seems minimal. /shrug.
    Last edited by Alistair; November 5 2014 at 08:35:20 PM.

US Midterms 2014 (Republican House + Republican Senate Imminent)

You don't understand tax brackets. Or you're making bank.

Edit. My tax burden was under 20% making six figures in Texas. It's about 3% higher in CO due to income tax for the state.

I don't know how much sales tax hurts me but majority of my spending isn't there.

Property Tax is done at a local level and probably went up due to home values increasing. Which has about zero to do with actual tax rates rising unless your local or state governments actually raised them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Aea; November 5 2014 at 08:38:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho Void View Post

Not at all. Here's how it's going to play out. The Republican congress is going to start passing bill after bill after bill to send to the desk of the President for approval. The Democrats no longer have Harry Reid to block said bills, so Obama himself will now be responsible for the veto. The next two years are going to be about the obstructionist President Obama not passing Republican bills and the partisan Republicans doing everything in their power to shoot down the agenda of our humble, selfless President (depending upon which network you watch).

The Democrats in congress don't have to dirty their hands at all. They sit back, throw Obama under the bus and let the Republicans hang themselves with whatever social issues they try to ram through. 2016, everyone is now sick of Republicans again, Hillary rides in on a white horse and we're back where we started.

Repeat.
    All senators, no matter the party, are egotistical maniacs. The idea that the Democrat senators will be sitting back, forgoing the opportunity to make personal political hay along the way sounds a bit naive to me.

Last I checked, the Republicans still didn't have a super-majority in the Senate. So they're going to do to the Republicans what the Republicans have been doing for 6 years to them. And the Republicans just defeated the more right-wing Democrats in the midterm elections. So there will be even fewer who'll work with the Republicans. But even should that fail they can fall back on the president.

The Republicans know this. But they're actually under the most pressure to show that they can't just obstruct, but actually govern as well. Because if they don't, they don't stand a snowball's chance in hell to make a dent in the next presidential election. So they're actually more likely to try to work on some of the low-hanging fruit issues the next couple of years. Like fixing taxes etc. and other stuff on which there is common ground. And they're going to need the help of the Democrats with that. And they're not going to get it if they try to kill Obamacare for the umphteenth time, only for it to be vetoed.

On the other hand, all senators, no matter the party, are egotistical maniacs. So even if Mitch turtlehead is willing to get at least some small things done, some in his own party will be all too ready to fuck it all up for everyone, as long as they can position themselves as a good primary election candidate.

So yeah, you may be right after all.