hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2457 of 2701 FirstFirst ... 145719572357240724472454245524562457245824592460246725072557 ... LastLast
Results 49,121 to 49,140 of 54011

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Youre a brony thought so have fun burning in hell

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    love how you managed to slot a "BOTH SIDES" dig into all of that

also you might want to have a closer look at Brazil if you consider them "up and coming"
    Yeah Brazil is taking a shortcut to fascism by electing someone who openly admires the previous military dictatorship. I wish them luck with this tried and true formula.

Americans launch #ThankCanada campaign after Trump attacks Trudeau

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.411bb6be60e0

I know I am thankful every day for Canada giving us Frug.

And Rush.

And Alberta Rye Dark Batch. Definitely that too.
    Last edited by Alistair; June 12 2018 at 09:37:26 PM.

Don't a lot of Youtubers of a certain political leaning come from Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Don't a lot of Youtubers of a certain political leaning come from Canada?
    Still suspect Frug is one of them.

and Justin Bieber #blameCanada
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    tbh, the chart is garbage because it doesn't define what's included in "evangelical". I'm part of the ELCA, so does that make me an evangelical Protestant or mainline Protestant?
    Remember, generalization and treating a population as a single-minded-group is ok when we talk about evangelicals.

Because they are bad crazy people.

Are you a bad crazy person?
    I know most Southern Baptists and a decently large proportion of the big mega church evangelicals I’ve met certainly fit the bill. Protestants in general, not really.
    meh

In extra horrifying news, the Trump administration is looking into building tent cities to house immigrant children stripped from their parents, because their current detention centers are filling up.

I really have no words this time.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    In extra horrifying news, the Trump administration is looking into building tent cities to house immigrant children stripped from their parents, because their current detention centers are filling up.

I really have no words this time.
    We thought pardoning Arpaio was just a random fuck you, turns out it was because he wants to emulate the guy.

God Bless the U.S. of A.!

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

i hope pictures like that help kill the saying """land of the free"""

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I was thinking home of the brave in this case, because you know how brave you have to be to take small children away from their parents..
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Looks like America needs another revolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Looks like America needs another revolution
    They have needed one for a while now.. These things take time. Hope be with Trump.

Bahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I was thinking home of the brave in this case, because you know how brave you have to be to take small children away from their parents..

They could just stay in mexico

Meanwhile.. In China (you have to read that how trump says it)

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-a...ling-trump-and

Sometimes I love this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kransthow View Post
    They could just stay in mexico
    You could just stay in your internet fuckwit ghetto yet you keep spilling over.

We really need a final solution to Trumps base.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    You’re telling me that you don’t see the possibility of a large scale war, given the current geopolitical state of play?

I mean if I had to take a guess, Trump and Co. want to quiet down the pacific theatre so they can engage in a little Crassus LARP and go adventuring in Persia. Then there’s that whole raging christian fundamentalist apocalypse cult that thinks a huge war in the Middle East is necessary to get Jesus to come back.

I don’t know if that escalates into a general global war, if that happens, but with our government alienating all of our allies, I can see things getting uglier than they would have a decade ago.

Shit’s a tinderbox, mate.

And that doesn’t even get into the possibility of a generation-killing period of civil unrest or authoritarian rule within the United States, or western nations more broadly.
    So if I'm reading this correctly, you see an high immediate risk of a U.S. vs. Iran war, clearly dragging in the rest of the Middle East, and thus potentially dragging in the World (which, you seem to indicate, may fight against the U.S. because we've alienated them)?

A war, I presume, you felt was previously off the table due to the Obama Iran Nuclear Executive Action.

So U.S./Israel/Saudi vs. Iran/Syria/Other Arab Nations/Maybe Russia/Maybe the EU then?

And beyond that you see a high immediate risk of a "Fully Fascist U.S." to use convenient shorthand, i.e. dictator-led, authoritarian. militaristic-expansionist and engaging in mass killings of U.S. citizen protesters/insurgents?

Is that a correct reading of your fears?
    I’d say my fear of these things is moderate, not high.
    A fair clarification, thank you.

Things are destabilizing, presumably prior to the emergence of some future stable arrangement different than the one that existed in 2016. This is not unusual, it’s just history. Happens all the time, and seems to happen fairly periodically. But these periods, if you study history, seem to come with an elevated risk of violent upheaval.

We always talk about wars that changed the world order, but really, the world order was changing before there was a war. That’s why the war in question happened in the first place.

Today, the world order is changing and shifting. I think a bit of alarm is warranted, and healthy.

As for the specifics of the upheaval? If things were to go south, those are two ways in which I think we are at risk of it going.
    I would hesitate to extrapolate the Trump Presidency with a larger/longer trend. A Democrat win in the next Presidential election and the entire "the world is changing" idea becomes moot.
    I unfortunately disagree with that assessment.

The trend, which to me actually started in the Obama presidency, is that due to the deeply entrenched blockade system both parties have set up in Congress, which each president tried/tries to circumvent with presidential orders (PO) in order to achieve anything. That leads to the U.S. becoming a less reliable country, as each international agreement based on a presidential order, because Congress didn't ratified it due to the above mentioned situation, has an intrinsic end-of-life deadline: the next election, if presidency is taken over by the other party. See the Iran deal as the most prominent example.

I'm pretty sure the next D president will void at least some of Trump's POs. Would I personally agree with that for specific POs? Most likely, because I personally haven't seen any good PO from Trump. But in principle, that's a very troubling development.

I don't see the World as a whole more "destabilized" today than at previous periods, and materially less so in some places. There is close to no risk for a broad European War today, despite Russian sabre-rattling round the edges.
    I agree with that for the classic definition of war (countries vs. countries). But the EU still isn't in good shape and depending on how things around develop, I could see civil riots rising in certain member countries and/or bordering countries that might ignite larger conflicts.

There is close to no risk of an Asian War today (NK nonwithstanding).
    I agree with that one, but then again our perception might be deceived, because of what gets and what gets not reported in (mainstraim) news. There's only so much on-the-air time and naturally that is spent on those issues, that currently seem to impact us the most. Look no further than Lybia, still a failed state since Gaddafi's death, which was pushed out of the news because of all the mess that happened around Syria. And now Syria has dropped below the radar, because of Trump's attention catching attitude. I honestly can't tell, if there might be perhaps some conflicts brewing in Asia...

There is no Russia/U.S. Cold War like the 80's, albeit it is once again heating up in the shadows.
    I agree in principal with this one also. Though I want to mention that in the Cold War there were rather rational leaders at the helm of these blocks. Those who wagered the risk vs. reward of their action and if push would've come to shove, refrained from pushing matters further. Especially Trump and Putin also to some degree don't look like they're those kind of rational leaders.

The Middle East is the Middle East, but ISIS isn't doing well, Israel and some of her neighbors are doing ok, but the risk of the Saudi-Side vs. the Iran-Side is legit I'd agree. But that internecine conflict is not new at all.
    The difference here is that there's a couple of conflicts going on besides the never-ending Palestine/Israel think. There's the Qatar issue, there's the war in Yemen, there's still Syria. There's an Iran ripped off of the nuclear deal, looking how 'lil rocket man gained some quite favorable deeds from Trump by actually having nukes. And because of that there's Israel watching that development quite closely. And we all know that Israel doesn't shy away from pre-emptive strikes.

China is on the rise, as is the EU, India and Brazil. The US in the decline, albeit it's almost assuredly going to be a long slow decline to start (economically we're generally fine).
    One notable development of China is its change in international politics. China has been a strong nation like forever, but stayed out of international politics for the most part in the last decades. If and when it intervened, it was because something happening right at its borders (Korea, Taiwan). This has changed. It actively develops its realm of influence. And it does so by forming associations with other countries in the region (there's that trade/economic thing with India among others), which wasn't exactly its style until recently. China also reached out to African countries and developed a presence there.