hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1001 of 2710 FirstFirst ... 5019019519919989991000100110021003100410111051110115012001 ... LastLast
Results 20,001 to 20,020 of 54197

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    get an adult in the job
    Mike Pence?

See? See what I mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    See? See what I mean?
    Indeed.

Mike Pence has some pretty abhorrent views imo, but the probability of him throwing twitter molotovs at anyone who pisses him off is approx. 0%.

I was actually more impressed with him as a person than I was with Tim Kaine if you want my opinion. At least he manages to articulate a point without sputtering or raising his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    get an adult in the job
    Mike Pence?
    Ugh.

Back to the ol' Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Mike Pence is abhorrent to me on his positions as a religious extremist social conservative. He's about as bad as one can be short of being an Iranian Mullah or Soviet-Era NKVD Officer.

But with that said, I think Pence wouldn't be horrible as President on the Millitary, Economic side. Well, he IS a Republican and a conservative, so I get he'd be hated here (and fair enough on that point), but he wouldn't start World Wars or Eco-Wars vs. China or the like. We could survive him.

But man, those social positions......

Ok, so Trump gets impeached, Pence takes over, moderate (R) and (D) in Congress hold Pence off on any/all social policies, supported by the citizenry (who are by and large majority social liberal), and Pence (maybe, hopefully) manages to not end the world via tweet?

Ugh.

get an adult in the job
    Mike Pence?
    Ugh.

Mike Pence is abhorrent to me on his positions as a religious extremist social conservative. He's about as bad as one can be short of being an Iranian Mullah or Soviet-Era NKVD Officer.

But with that said, I think Pence wouldn't be horrible as President on the Millitary, Economic side. Well, he IS a Republican and a conservative, so I get he'd be hated here (and fair enough on that point), but he wouldn't start World Wars or Eco-Wars vs. China or the like. We could survive him.

Ok, so Trump gets impeached, Pence takes over, moderate (R) and (D) in Congress hold Pence off on any/all social policies, and Pence (maybe, hopefully) manages to not end the world via tweet?

Ugh.
    People don't realize that the real erosion or protection of rights occurs at the Federal district and appellate level. So Republicans could theoretically oppose any theocratic nutjobs to the SC, but there's dozens of Federal seats that still need filling thanks to Congress. And many of those are gonna pass under the radar of the press and the public.

That's where a lot of the unnoticed damage can occur. Things like abortion may not be going away any time soon, but its about to became much, much easier for states to pass restrictions on it.

Still, I'll take all of that over wondering if our first trade war is gonna be with China.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    People don't realize that the real erosion or protection of rights occurs at the Federal district and appellate level. So Republicans could theoretically oppose any theocratic nutjobs to the SC, but there's dozens of Federal seats that still need filling thanks to Congress. And many of those are gonna pass under the radar of the press and the public.
    Sounds like a failing of the press to do its job, rather than a failing of the government apparatus.

get an adult in the job
    Mike Pence?
    Ugh.

Ok, so Trump gets impeached, Pence takes over, moderate (R) and (D) in Congress hold Pence off on any/all social policies, and Pence (maybe, hopefully) manages to not end the world via tweet?

Ugh.

That's where a lot of the unnoticed damage can occur. Things like abortion may not be going away any time soon, but its about to became much, much easier for states to pass restrictions on it.

Still, I'll take all of that over wondering if our first trade war is gonna be with China.
    China, and the EU at the same time, with our stronk trading partner, Russia.

Sounds like a failing of the press to do its job, rather than a failing of the government apparatus.
    Its more cultural than anything. Most Americans get worked up over Presidential elections, but barely look at their Congressman, let alone their state assemblyman.

Supreme Court is the same way because we sure do love our big simplified picture. Why get riled up over some District court appointment when you can get riled up over babykiller Elena Kagan, or racist Antonin Scalia.

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    More and more I'm becoming convinced that nobody is actually reading what Alistair is typing.

Folks just see an Alistair post and inject into it their preferred right-wing Trump-voter straw man, nevermind details like Alistair not actually voting for Trump.
    Its fucking tiresome really. This is the US politics thread, not the 'europeans point and laugh at middle aged american' thread

Its more cultural than anything. Most Americans get worked up over Presidential elections, but barely look at their Congressman, let alone their state assemblyman.

Supreme Court is the same way because we sure do love our big simplified picture. Why get riled up over some District court appointment when you can get riled up over babykiller Elena Kagan, or racist Antonin Scalia.
    Oh that's certainly why the average person isn't interested in it, I agree. My point is that the failing of the press is of publishing stories that generate the most clicks the fastest (without any regard for veracity, there's your "fake news" angle again), rather than holding the government apparatus to account.

Yes, there will always be tabloid rag yellow journalism, but the problem is that even so-called "papers of record" like the NYT have fallen into that shithole. In times past such publications were bastions of journalistic integrity and government scrutiny.

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/elect...g/?fb=dd&tw=dd
    “The Electors require to know from the intelligence community whether there are ongoing investigations into ties between Donald Trump, his campaign or associates, and Russian government interference in the election, the scope of those investigations, how far those investigations may have reached, and who was involved in those investigations,” they wrote. “We further require a briefing on all investigative findings, as these matters directly impact the core factors in our deliberations of whether Mr. Trump is fit to serve as President of the United States.”

A huge shit show and quality trolling opportunities... I might enjoy the new year afterall

obligatory reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    obligatory reminder

terrible

Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/elect...g/?fb=dd&tw=dd
    “The Electors require to know from the intelligence community whether there are ongoing investigations into ties between Donald Trump, his campaign or associates, and Russian government interference in the election, the scope of those investigations, how far those investigations may have reached, and who was involved in those investigations,” they wrote. “We further require a briefing on all investigative findings, as these matters directly impact the core factors in our deliberations of whether Mr. Trump is fit to serve as President of the United States.”
    The letter is signed by one Republican and nine Democrats, including Christine Pelosi, daughter of Democratic Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).
    No partisan obstructionism going on here, nope.

As for whether Trump is fit to serve, you don't need an intelligence briefing to figure that out. You just need to check the Constitution:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
    These are the only three requirements to be a Presidential candidate.
    Last edited by Steph; December 12 2016 at 08:37:08 PM.

Fit != Eligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Fit != Eligible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair enough. Where can I find the criteria for "fit to serve as President"?

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Looks like China is stepping up the Taiwan thing.
    Good.

Let China attack Trump on something that is essentially irrelevant, such as a phone call, so that when he confronts them on something of substance he'll have the upper hand at home.
    If he doesn't back down there is a good chance China is going to go full in. While the US doesn't think this is a big thing it looks like China is going to try and take full opportunity on what is essentially a sovereignty thing.

Having said that, if he does back down because he thinks it's only a minor thing and not worth pulling things like trade talks over, then China has an upper hand.

I guess the question is how much is trade with China actually worth to the US? How many company execs is Trump willing to let get arrested for 'bribery' in China..
    A sovereign to issue? WAT? Taiwan is a separate country. Beijing has no control over Taiwan. Tell me again why we need to enable these delusions?

I think its pretty likely that this all ends in impeachment. Entering office with a 41% approval rating, and lukewarm support from Congressional republicans. He's got nowhere to go but down from here

My predictions for impeachable offenses:

1) Pussy Grab 2
    2) Insider trading
    3) Doubling down on a trade war while the economy suffers