hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2877 of 2897 FirstFirst ... 1877237727772827286728742875287628772878287928802887 ... LastLast
Results 57,521 to 57,540 of 57932

Thread: Massive Faggotry Thread

The media sure loves AOC:

Ocasio-Cortez slammed for 'hypocrisy' after her campaign fined for not providing worker's compensation coverage (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oca...ation-coverage).

Politico: Some House Dems upset with Ocasio-Cortez (https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/polit...cus/index.html).

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Decentralise democracy so they can't derail the livelihood of millions with a single vote?
    What is the best route to doing that?
    Starting from scratch
    Ok. How?

Decentralise democracy so they can't derail the livelihood of millions with a single vote?
    Starting from scratch
    Ok. How?
    Not possible. The corruption will only deepen until a huge crisis makes actual change possible.

Starting from scratch
    Ok. How?
    Something similar to the occupy movement but with the police unions on side/police not being a bunch of class traitors and more potential for violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Starting from scratch
    Ok. How?
    Something similar to the occupy movement but with the police unions on side/police not being a bunch of class traitors and more potential for violence.

Starting from scratch
    Ok. How?
    So Occupy + Cops on Occupy Side + More Threat of Violence to the General Public? Is that right?

Threat of violence to the establishment. The general public is the occupy movement.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I don't think its possible to eliminate the human fear response, or the ease with which a portion of the population uses this to blame their problems on "the other". I do however think it can be mitigated.

You may call me a hopeless optimist, but I think the current "fear of the other" problem will resolve itself by changed the definition of "other" over time.

There is a reason younger generations are less prone to this. We grew up in a more mixed environment, so our definition of "other" is social rather than racial, which is a significant step up over people who grew into adulthood in the 1960's.

I expect race based discrimination to fade away with the boomers and gen X, while we millennial's invent a whole new type of discrimination that our children and grandchildren will have to deal with

Threat of violence to the establishment. The general public is the occupy movement.
    What % of the general public then do you think you'd need onboard with this, and active in the Occupy portion?

What % of the general public then do you think you'd need onboard with this, and active in the Occupy portion?
    Between 3% and 15%, per the scholarship on the topic.

https://cup.columbia.edu/book/why-ci.../9780231156820

As little as 3-5% taking some form of direct action in a semi organised fashion. I think that roughly scales with the US civil rights movement if I remember correctly.

Seems like a very small percentage given the scope of change. Wouldn't we prefer a higher % of support, having 3% dictate to the other 97% what our system of Govt. should be changed to seems....well, I can think of alot of 3% groups I wouldn't want dictating things via street protests and violence?

In other news, our shotdown now ties the longest ever:

Seems like a very small percentage given the scope of change. Wouldn't we prefer a higher % of support, having 3% dictate to the other 97% what our system of Govt. should be changed to seems....well, I can think of alot of 3% groups I wouldn't want dictating things via street protests and violence?
    Support and participation are very different beasts. As I like to facetiously point out to sports fans referring to team performance as 'we'

You currently have the 1% dictating the flow of over half your capital so I'm not sure your current position is much better either...

It’s not that the percentage willing to engage in direct action are the only ones with the motivation or desire for change. For every 100 people unhappy with the situation, only a few are ever going to be willing to risk getting pepper-sprayed/beaten/shot over the issue.

What was it, only 3% of colonists took active part in the rebellion against the Crown? Gandhi’s satyagrahist devotees only made up a tiny percentage of India’s total population, etc.

Its the other end of the spectrum.

20-30% are overwhelmingly motivated by fear.

2-3% are overwhelmingly motivated by hope.

Both can be taken advantage of by the unscrupulous.

Starting from scratch
    Ok. How?
    So Occupy + Cops on Occupy Side + More Threat of Violence to the General Public? Is that right?
    Just the rich ones.

I really don't get the purpose of this kind of concern trolling, I think you already know how most people here will respond tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    It's easy to see why people oppose stupid shit. More interesting to see why people insist on supporting stupid shit.
    Really? Its the same old song and dance.

We all have our primary emotional triggers. For around 20%-30% of people it's fear.

Fear-driven personalities are easy to manipulate with the threat of an external "other". Emotional-triggered decisions are protected against reason via self-deceptive internal rationalisation.
    OK, fine. And now what? Now we 'know' that. What do we do about it?
    Like for this one, for lots of problems in this world, it all boils down to: educate*) people. From kindergarden on.

People will still feel their personal irrational fear. But they might be aware of it. I am, at least. But at the same time that's the exact reason why I know it would be utter BS when my personal irrational reaction would become national law.

*) Implies proper education by qualified personal. No home-schooling, no political driven school curriculums or some such crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I really don't get the purpose of this kind of concern trolling, I think you already know how most people here will respond tbh.
    Just the attitude that's built into all of us by terrible schooling. History classes will belabor the "peaceful" nature of civil disobedience in the civil rights era, forgetting that there was also no give in that movement, it was extremely assertive, and it didn't care about the tension it created.

There's an expectation to politely request that people someday consider what you're asking for, maybe. But don't be too loud about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Just the attitude that's built into all of us by terrible schooling. History classes will belabor the "peaceful" nature of civil disobedience in the civil rights era, forgetting that there was also no give in that movement, it was extremely assertive, and it didn't care about the tension it created.

There's an expectation to politely request that people someday consider what you're asking for, maybe. But don't be too loud about it.

chance requires violence, news at 11

violence != bloodshed