hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2864 of 3021 FirstFirst ... 186423642764281428542861286228632864286528662867287429142964 ... LastLast
Results 57,261 to 57,280 of 60410

Thread: US Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    More people give a fuck about "racist tweets" than the oceans dying or people not having access to basic services in the US so yeah. Maybe Erich is right on this one, phase out the poor.
    I’ve said, for a long time, that we should have a war on wealth, just based on the results from our other wars against semi-abstract concepts.
    It's funny how the people who want to return us to the 1950s in other ways are so unenthusiastic about returning to 1950s tax heirarchies.
    Seriously, it's almost like people can hold two different opinions about two different things at the same time.

Mind. Blown.
    It's just one opinion though: "I want all the benefits but i dont want to pay"
    I don’t think you have a good grasp of what Republicans want. Hint:it’s not tax funded benefits.
    Correct. It's debt-funded benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

More people give a fuck about "racist tweets" than the oceans dying or people not having access to basic services in the US so yeah. Maybe Erich is right on this one, phase out the poor.
    I’ve said, for a long time, that we should have a war on wealth, just based on the results from our other wars against semi-abstract concepts.
    It's funny how the people who want to return us to the 1950s in other ways are so unenthusiastic about returning to 1950s tax heirarchies.
    Seriously, it's almost like people can hold two different opinions about two different things at the same time.

Mind. Blown.
    I don’t think you have a good grasp of what Republicans want. Hint:it’s not tax funded benefits.
    But only for the “right” people.

Also I hate to be a romantic about these things but God Dambit we seriously need another Bevan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beveridge_Report

Recommendations

The Report offered three guiding principles to its recommendations:

Proposals for the future should not be limited by "sectional interests". A "revolutionary moment in the world's history is a time for revolutions, not for patching".
    Social insurance is only one part of a "comprehensive policy of social progress". The five giants on the road to reconstruction were Want, Disease, Ignorance, Squalor and Idleness.
    Policies of social security "must be achieved by co-operation between the State and the individual", with the state securing the service and contributions. The state "should not stifle incentive, opportunity, responsibility; in establishing a national minimum, it should leave room and encouragement for voluntary action by each individual to provide more than that minimum for himself and his family".

Beveridge was opposed to "means-tested" benefits. His proposal was for a flat rate universal contribution in exchange for a flat rate universal benefit. Means-testing was intended to play a tiny part because it created high marginal tax rates for the poor (the "poverty trap").

The man was generations ahead of his time. Or wait no, better to say he was a man of his time, but he had to deal with so many that are generations behind. As we do today. It's amazing how much we as a society can do when we're not devoting all our surplus wealth into making billionaires even more powerful. It seems to be the nature of western society that we can only really function well with a terrible external threat.
    Uh, there is a terrible external threat. It’s called the fucking Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post

Mind. Blown.
    Who “worship” the right “god”
    meh

Mind. Blown.
    But only for the “white” people.
    Who “worship” the white “god”
    Stop being so coy.

Mind. Blown.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; December 30 2018 at 09:24:50 PM.

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Warren4prez, any comments?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Warren4prez, any comments?
    If she wins the primary I’ll vote for her.

But no one is going to win the primary because with so many candidates no one is going to have a majority of delegates going into the convention in June... so yeah, a brokered convention is very likely. And a brokered convention almost guarantees a donor-approved nominee.

We’ll see how it goes.

But props on announcing first I guess?

Mind. Blown.
    I love Al Frankens read of that

obligatory Pontius Pilate did nothing wrong
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; December 31 2018 at 04:26:58 PM.

Lol @ Mattis.

“Hold fast,” says man quitting his post.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; December 31 2018 at 05:37:21 PM.

Lol @ Mattis.

Who's he saying it to?
    I love Malcanis!

Lol @ Mattis.

Who's he saying it to?
    The whole of the DOD. It’s a line from his “farewell to the troops” letter.

Last edited by Lachesis VII; December 31 2018 at 08:19:14 PM.

Lol @ Mattis.

Who's he saying it to?
    The whole of the DOD. It’s a line from his “farewell to the troops” letter.

I would say your comment is taken out of context.

In this whole message it makes more sense to hold fast (in faith of the country and in defence of the constitution/way of life and stand by your allies)

Yes but dude is abandoning his post.

Trump only fired him because he quit. And he quit because he says Trump’s goals and interests don’t align with his... which is his polite way of saying he thinks Trump’s ideas are bad for America.

Isn’t the proper thing to do there to stay and argue for what you think is good for the country? If you get fired you get fired, but quitting is just bad form.

Trump only fired him because he quit. And he quit because he says Trump’s goals and interests don’t align with his... which is his polite way of saying he thinks Trump’s ideas are bad for America.

Isn’t the proper thing to do there to stay and argue for what you think is good for the country? If you get fired you get fired, but quitting is just bad form.
    Break early break often. If your boss is an insufferable cunt who can’t even understand geopolitics, why bother. Let him fuck everything up. The rest of us just have to make sure his base suffer worst.
    meh

It's kinda hard to reason with someone who ignores facts and just does what he feels is right.
    Mattis doesn't want to be associated with Trump agenda, and this is how he does it. Politely says president is a moron on his way out.

Quote Originally Posted by VARRAKK View Post

It's kinda hard to reason with someone who ignores facts and just does what he feels is right.
    Mattis doesn't want to be associated with Trump agenda, and this is how he does it. Politely says president is a moron on his way out.
    Also strips legitimacy away and weakens establishment Republicans faith in his cabinet. Mattis should leave and never should of joined up with him.

Without knowing the man, my guess is you can love your country and still hold contempt for its leaders or the unwashed masses in it, and he decided he has better ways to serve the country than stay in his governmental position as a potential impotent leader.

Maybe Syria was the last straw. When your goal is to minimise damage, and then that happens, you gotta face the fact that you failed.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    Maybe Syria was the last straw. When your goal is to minimise damage, and then that happens, you gotta face the fact that you failed.
    Yeah for a career military man like Mattis, that was probably too bitter a pill to swallow. Even if we don't like him much, he's still allowed his professional ethics, and there comes a point where working for an increasingly obviously compromised administration that constantly shits on his country's allies has to be too much to bear. There's a line between staying in to minimise the damage and just being a collaborator, and I guess Mattis reckoned he was getting too close to that line.
    I love Malcanis!