hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2653 of 2828 FirstFirst ... 165321532553260326432650265126522653265426552656266327032753 ... LastLast
Results 53,041 to 53,060 of 56552

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Investigations take place because there is a belief a crime has taken place. Not because there is a belief a crime hasn't taken place.

If I phone the cops because my back walls have been smashed in by thieves, they're not popping around just to prove me wrong. If I report a rape, they don't sit down with me to establish I'm a liar. Unless of course they do, in which case we're either back in "the bad old days", or they post here.

It's all good & well to parrot about innocence and objectivity, but if you can't find the obvious fault with the bald statement "these women shouldn't just be believed when they come forward" when

a) there is a wealth of statistical evidence that almost all claims have a basis in fact
    b) a reality in which investigations frequently are directed on the basis that police 'believe' a crime has taken place once a complaint is made
    c) it's something most decent human beings are capable of when confronted by a victim
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/n...ttan-rape.html

Yes because uncritical belief of the victim is such a virtue, especially when we talk about the US justice system where one black person is just as good as another.

But I guess if overzealous prosecution and shitty policework becomes just as bad outside of black communities as inside of them, then that will be a big win for equality

The breezy dismissal or downplaying of people who spend the entirety of their youth in prison is always telling. Maybe the collateral damage seems acceptable to you because the numbers seem so small, but I bet those people have a different opinion on the acceptable casualties

then you're either a fantasist or a misogynist. By all means though, feel free to go back to calling me names and giving one another hand-jobs.
    I forgot to add autist
    I forgot to add mendacious shithead.

Whine about name calling or dont, I give less than two shits about your preference. But don't be obnoxious by whining about it, and then doing it yourself.
    Last edited by mewninn; September 20 2018 at 01:45:53 PM.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    This thread is doing wonders for my list of "FHC users who are probably woman-haters"

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    In terms or the discussion I think the most important thing is the perception that women who have been sexually assaulted will be taken seriously. I don't think this perception exists among many women. I also think that the influential and powerful are probably a demographic most likely to be sexual predators (personality types, accessibility to vulnerable people and a confidence that they can get away with it), this makes it much more difficult for victims to come forward.
    I think (hope?) that we are all in agreement on that. They should absolutely be taken seriously, and the perception (or reality) that they wont be is a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    This thread is doing wonders for my list of "FHC users who are probably woman-haters"
    What about me? Its important that i know your opinion of me. I was arguing for "Evidence and not automatic belief" but then you quoted me here:

In terms or the discussion I think the most important thing is the perception that women who have been sexually assaulted will be taken seriously. I don't think this perception exists among many women. I also think that the influential and powerful are probably a demographic most likely to be sexual predators (personality types, accessibility to vulnerable people and a confidence that they can get away with it), this makes it much more difficult for victims to come forward.
    I think (hope?) that we are all in agreement on that. They should absolutely be taken seriously, and the perception (or reality) that they wont be is a huge problem.
    Currently unsure whether or not i hate women in the eyes of somebody who has forever valued and treated women with respect.

It's all good & well to parrot about innocence and objectivity, but if you can't find the obvious fault with the bald statement "these women shouldn't just be believed when they come forward" when

a) there is a wealth of statistical evidence that almost all claims have a basis in fact
    So just to be clear, all of the women who accused President Clinton of sexual assault/harassment should have been believed (and hence those who did not believe them, like Hillary Clinton and all the Democrats, are hence misogynists), and because of statistics they almost certainly were all telling the truth and assaults did in fact take place.

Glad we cleared that up, finally, a few decades late.

P.S. Police do not investigate because they believe a crime has occured, they investigate because someone swears out a claim that a crime has occured. This is a meaningful difference. Cops go by evidence (or they should), not belief in everything anyone tells them. Prosecutors, on the other hand, do weight "belief", but it too is based on evidence, not just a claim.

You might want to think about the massive potential for truly bad ramifications of the "cops must believe" theorem you've put forward.

President Clinton probably has sexually abused women, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

President Clinton probably has sexually abused women, yes.
    Alistair's moved the goalposts into the path of the ball by accident

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

P.S. Police do not investigate because they believe a crime may have occured, they investigate because someone swears out a claim that a crime has occured. This is a meaningful difference. Cops go by evidence (or they should), not belief in everything anyone tells them. Prosecutors, on the other hand, do weight "belief", but it too is based on evidence, not just a claim.

You might want to think about the massive potential for truly bad ramifications of the "cops must believe" theorem you've put forward.
    You're being dense af or deliberately obtuse now

What about me? Its important that i know your opinion of me. I was arguing for "Evidence and not automatic belief" but then you quoted me here:

Currently unsure whether or not i hate women in the eyes of somebody who has forever valued and treated women with respect.
    There's a difference between what you're saying and what Alistair et al are saying, aka you're not being a dumb

And that's probably the least despicable thing he did during his political career.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    And that's probably the least despicable thing he did during his political career.
    And still he was the best president USA had in last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    We don't have, or I cant find, a lolstralia thread so im putting this here because I think it would benefit ALL countries to do this to their ex or standing politicians..

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sbs-is-s...-to-a-war-zone

I don't usually like SBS but honestly this is genius!
    The lot of you must have missed this.

The Australian TV station SBS is sending an anti-refugee (former) politician to a for now undisclosed war zone. The show is called "Send them back to where they came from."

Holy shit I want that here.
    nevar forget

It's going to be shit and completely scripted

Xeno gave me the bad touch.

Is believing me a virtue?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    And still he was the best president USA had in last 30 years.
    Tough race, most American presidents post war have been awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by theBlind View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Stormy Daniels on Donald Trump (per CNN):

"His penis is distinctive in a certain way, and I sometimes think that's one of the reasons he initially didn't tweet at me like he does so many women," Daniels wrote. "He knew I could pick his d*** out of a lineup. He knows he has an unusual penis. It has a huge mushroom head. Like a toadstool."
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/polit...ook/index.html

Worst. Timeline. Ever.
    I didn't wanna knoooow about little president toadstool. I really, really didn't wanna know.
    https://politics.theonion.com/blood-...-di-1829152311

Call me crazy but I'm predicting that the US will elect Hastur, The Unspeakable One, The King in Yellow, Him Who Is Not to be Named by a landslide in 2024.

Hastur will fix a lot of shit that's fucked, mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Call me crazy but I'm predicting that the US will elect Hastur, The Unspeakable One, The King in Yellow, Him Who Is Not to be Named by a landslide in 2024.

Hastur will fix a lot of shit that's fucked, mark my words.
    Have you seen the yellow sign?

ofc ofc
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

at this point I think the US would vote for Voldemort