hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2292 of 2470 FirstFirst ... 129217922192224222822289229022912292229322942295230223422392 ... LastLast
Results 45,821 to 45,840 of 49385

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rufuske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    if he's really doing that Europe is just going to pivot towards China, who to be frank seem to pursue a less psychotic foreign policy anyway.
    Chung Kuo was prophetic...
    China is honestly the only superpower which seems to have staying power. Anytime it looks like economic instability is going to hit them they just rewrite the rulebook and let their cultural stability nip any fall out in the bud.

The biggest worry on their horizons is their leader for life going insane.
    That's the biggest risk with systems set up this way. I wonder if they have any safeguards developed to deal with the situation when it happens.
    Well the term limits for dear leader were there to stop such issues
    Does anyone think that once Xi consolidates his position as officially emperor for life he wont get a bit more "Were fucking CHINA mates, fuck right off with your bullshit" on foreign military policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Does anyone think that once Xi consolidates his position as officially emperor for life he wont get a bit more "Were fucking CHINA mates, fuck right off with your bullshit" on foreign military policy?
    I don't think there is any need to.

China's foreign policy can be economic if they want to spread west, they're already rebuilding the silk road and teaching kids throughout the middle east Chinese. Biggest problem for them may be India but India is so ridiculously culturally unstable that they aren't much of a threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

if he's really doing that Europe is just going to pivot towards China, who to be frank seem to pursue a less psychotic foreign policy anyway.
    China is honestly the only superpower which seems to have staying power. Anytime it looks like economic instability is going to hit them they just rewrite the rulebook and let their cultural stability nip any fall out in the bud.

That's the biggest risk with systems set up this way. I wonder if they have any safeguards developed to deal with the situation when it happens.
    That seems like extremly nonchineese thing to do.

I don't think it's the only issue, and not even the biggest risk. Look at the former Soviet Union: it really stagnated with Stalin (1922-1952), and Brezhnev (1964-1982) staying in power for too long for nothing to really change. Also, see Putin and modernization of the Russian economy. Unless you change the authoritarian leader from time to time, I don't really see how new ideas start to be implemented in such a regime. It's shortsighted.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    I don't think it's the only issue, and not even the biggest risk. Look at the former Soviet Union: it really stagnated with Stalin (1922-1952), and Brezhnev (1964-1982) staying in power for too long for nothing to really change. Also, see Putin and modernization of the Russian economy. Unless you change the authoritarian leader from time to time, I don't really see how new ideas start to be implemented in such a regime. It's shortsighted.
    I guess only time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

The issue with maximum term lengths (so the opposite) is that the incoming person doesnt need to be better than their predecessor. You also don't really get new ideas because they don't need to come up with any.

The better system is an election every now and then with no term limits.. Then if you are starting to get old and stupid you'll get kicked out for someone better, but if you are still going strong you can just keep on truckin till someone better comes along.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

The issue with maximum term lengths (so the opposite) is that the incoming person doesnt need to be better than their predecessor. You also don't really get new ideas because they don't need to come up with any.

The better system is an election every now and then with no term limits.. Then if you are starting to get old and stupid you'll get kicked out for someone better, but if you are still going strong you can just keep on truckin till someone better comes along.
    I don't disagree. But when you can nominate the persons electing you, it may not work. =S

But perhaps it's like Keckers says, maybe only time will tell. One advantage of no term limits if of course the fact that you can plan more long-term than with the term limits (assuming benevolent dictator etc.)

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

Well, we (Germany) have been through four terms of Adenauer (somewhat a special case as the first chancellor after the war), Kohl and are now in our fourth term of Merkel. Kohl's reign was seen as an outlier, not happening again. His fourth term was an overall standstill of politics. I (and others) fear to experience the same with Merkel's fourth term now. She'll try to make it through the term, not much else going on.

During and after Kohl's last term, the first (serious) public voices occurred, asking to debate a term limitation for the chancellor. And during the past half year of attempted (and now finalized) coalition-building, that term limits discussion came up again.

And to be honest: I don't know what I personally think of it. On the one hand, no term limits at least give a person the chance to develop ant attempt a long term plan. OTOH, it tends to lead to a standstill because both the people and the person in question are exhausted/have had enough. And it potentially prevents a party from developing new/younger "talents".

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    Just have to hope his handlers are up to the task of stopping him tweeting about it before then.

I don't think there is any need to.

China's foreign policy can be economic if they want to spread west, they're already rebuilding the silk road and teaching kids throughout the middle east Chinese. Biggest problem for them may be India but India is so ridiculously culturally unstable that they aren't much of a threat.
    India is a nuclear power.

India is also a huge supplier of labor/services to the United States.

While India is indeed culturally unstable/fractured, the U.S. interest in India will make China hesitant to bully them in the region.

Of course, with Trump alienating our allies on a near-daily basis, this could be moot, but the U.S. Corporate interest in India is material so that should still have influence.
    Last edited by Alistair; March 9 2018 at 02:49:20 PM.

Look at the former Soviet Union: it really stagnated with Stalin (1922-1952)
    is this nigga for real

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    is this nigga for real
    Was thinking the same.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    is this nigga for real
    Was thinking the same.

I don't necessarily agree with him but maybe look at his whole post instead of just that bit, I am pretty sure he didn't mean what you thought he meant.

is this nigga for real
    not in terms of economics, but in terms of political development. Stalin flat-out executed and exiled anybody who looked at him even remotely funny, this is a good way to keep power, but also a good way to ensure that you get a rigid political landscape.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

is this nigga for real
    not in terms of economics, but in terms of political development. Stalin flat-out executed and exiled anybody who looked at him even remotely funny, this is a good way to keep power, but also a good way to ensure that you get a rigid political landscape.
    I used to think the same untill i read the biography of Chroetsjov (the one by his son).

Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

is this nigga for real
    They point this out brilliantly in Death of Stalin, when he is sick, but they can’t find a decent doctor to treat him, because he’s had all the good ones shot.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    is this nigga for real
    They point this out brilliantly in Death of Stalin, when he is sick, but they can’t find a decent doctor to treat him, because he’s had all the good ones shot.
    That film really wasn't as funny as it should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    is this nigga for real
    404 sense of humour not found

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    is this nigga for real
    404 sense of humour not found
    I was expecting more Thick of It style witty vulgar banter.