hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2656 of 2656 FirstFirst ... 165621562556260626462653265426552656
Results 53,101 to 53,112 of 53112

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    There is no statute of limitations in Maryland on sexual assault, from the reporting I've heard.

If the events happened as she claims, is there not a moral requirement that she alert the proper authorities in Maryland so a criminal investigation/case can happen?

Put another way, what reason would Prof. Ford have to come forward and public with this claim but NOT pursue the appropriate criminal charges such a claim should result it (and should have resulted in 35 years ago if reported)?

As a broader question, should we all not be encouraging victims of sexual assault to come forward immediately, and not de facto supporting (in the public narrative) that it's ok to not come forward?

In other updates, per CNN Ford's goodfriend has no knowledge/recollection of the party or event: https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/polit...ion/index.html

It's an interesting question, how would you (if the accusation was against you) defend yourself from a 35 year old accusation as serious as this in the "Me Too" era? Presuming, of course, that you didn't do it?

Here we see in it's natural environment the majestic Wont Somebody Please Think Of The Rapists post stalking its natural victim, The Victim.
    Oh, look, the cute Troll provided the usual complete non-answer AND the expected as hominem attack deflection.

Try not being a shitstain for a change Malc, see how it suits you.

P.S. Informing the Police and making a criminal complaint (even 35 years later) is what Victims generally do, so the Police can investigate and prosecutors can prosecute the perpetrators.

I guess in your world wanting a criminal investigation into Kav. is "supporting rapists". But wanting another FBI investigation (for a crime they cannot prosecute) is just good politics. Typical Malc.

You can always tell how uncomfortable a question is by how many trolls rush out to deflect away from it.
    Last edited by Alistair; September 23 2018 at 02:30:51 PM.

There is no statute of limitations in Maryland on sexual assault, from the reporting I've heard.

If the events happened as she claims, is there not a moral requirement that she alert the proper authorities in Maryland so a criminal investigation/case can happen?

Put another way, what reason would Prof. Ford have to come forward and public with this claim but NOT pursue the appropriate criminal charges such a claim should result it (and should have resulted in 35 years ago if reported)?

As a broader question, should we all not be encouraging victims of sexual assault to come forward immediately, and not de facto supporting (in the public narrative) that it's ok to not come forward?

In other updates, per CNN Ford's goodfriend has no knowledge/recollection of the party or event: https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/polit...ion/index.html

It's an interesting question, how would you (if the accusation was against you) defend yourself from a 35 year old accusation as serious as this in the "Me Too" era? Presuming, of course, that you didn't do it?
    Same way there's a moral requirement for Christians not to be a bunch of human-hating, evil assholes?
    meh

Here we see in it's natural environment the majestic Wont Somebody Please Think Of The Rapists post stalking its natural victim, The Victim.
    What exactly is wrong with you? Everything he said is perfectly reasonable, your response is bizarre.

P.S. Informing the Police and making a criminal complaint (even 35 years later) is what Victims generally do, so the Police can investigate and prosecutors can prosecute the perpetrators.

This is very wrong, especially in rape/sexual abuse cases. The large majority of cases never gets the attention of the authorities.

Edit: Im bad at selective quoting...
    Last edited by Caldrion Dosto; September 23 2018 at 08:16:41 PM.

The police know about it now. If a prosecutor thinks they could get a conviction, they are welcome to take up the case.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Malc and Xeno once again in the "lol didn't read" scenes

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

What exactly is wrong with you? Everything he said is perfectly reasonable, your response is bizarre.
    It was a moral equirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

It was a moral equirement.
    You know the advice dude. Don’t go full retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    The police know about it now. If a prosecutor thinks they could get a conviction, they are welcome to take up the case.
    You'd have better luck convincing them to jump off a building.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    On the moral requirement - we're talking about a girl in high school, early 80's in a conservative neighborhood with upper class preppy folk and the sort of place where everyone knows everyone?

Theoretical moral requirement perhaps, but in practice the immense moral character to stand up to those pressures is Rosa Parks-level.

And I know a good reason - she now apparently felt the moral requirement to inform society of the moral character of a person who by all accounts will be part of forming the legal fabric of said society.

As for defense - it's word against word, for all intents and purposes. Unfortunate for both parties that it cannot be resolved closer than that.
    Oh, I think the reason she didn't report it way back then is legit, 35 years ago, as you say rich/conservative, she was 15, way WAY before the me too movement, makes perfect sense.

But why not make a formal criminal report to Maryland Police now, and let the criminal process do what it's supposed to do?

With that said, society as a whole simply must remove the social stigma of reporting these when it happens. Victims need to be made to feel safe secure to report these types of assaults when they happen, when evidence exists, and when witnesses will be fresh.
    From outside, this all sounds really great.

From her side, not so much. When she first came forward, she said it very plainly:

"Why suffer through the annihilation if it's not going to matter?" said Ford, who has faced death threats and has not returned to her family home since identifying herself.
    We've already seen some republicans go on record saying that they've already made up their minds and will vote for Kavanaugh regardless of what Ford says. Lindsey Graham came right out and said it.

Her approach to pursuing a police investigation may be similar: Why go through the misery when the likelihood of anything good coming of it is so vanishingly small?

For us, it's really easy to say that she should do it.

We aren't the ones receiving death threats.

She is not the first woman to decide that pursuing justice to that degree isn't worth the cost. The woman Kobe Bryant raped dropped her case because she was tired of having to move from state to state to state in witness protection, because everywhere she went, someone figured out who she was and threatened to kill her. This is what happens in America when a woman accuses a powerful man of sexual assault, and while we've seen some progress recently, it's really not enough.

Yes, we would like to see women report it when this happens, but we're going to have to approach it from the opposite angle. Simply telling them to do it ignores the multitude of reasons why they don't. We need to attack that first, address the reasons why they think it isn't worth it, rather than insisting that they face the death threats to satisfy our sense of justice.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    tfw when you're too old to get more money being out whoring so you get someone else to write a book for you
    So how does Trump's penis look like? Can you confirm or deny her assessment of its fungoid nature?
    I dont know because he's always behind me

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    tfw when you're too old to get more money being out whoring so you get someone else to write a book for you
    LOW-ENERGY!
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...