hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2820 of 2844 FirstFirst ... 1820232027202770281028172818281928202821282228232830 ... LastLast
Results 56,381 to 56,400 of 56876

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #56381
    Joshua Foiritain's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,022



  2. #56382
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    9,713

  3. #56383
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,648
    Rename to Euro-Mayo-Best-Mayo Thread?


  4. #56384
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Rename to Euro-Mayo-Best-Mayo Thread?
    It isn't though.
    meh

  5. #56385
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    9,713
    USA Poltics: No Mayo in the Gulag Edition

  6. #56386

    Join Date
    August 18, 2014
    Posts
    235
    Whomever said US mayo has more sugar is close, if you meant high fructose corn syrup...

    Mayo is easy, you can use a hand whisk or machine variation:

    egg yolks (or you can use the whole egg)
    an optional emulsifier (dijon mustard is common)
    an acid (lemon juice or vinegar of choice)
    oil.

    It is really simple to make, just add the oil slowly while whisking. Far superior to anything you can ever purchase.

  7. #56387
    Donor Spaztick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    No Longer up High Sierra's Ass
    Posts
    9,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego Proxy View Post
    Whomever said US mayo has more sugar is close, if you meant high fructose corn syrup...

    Mayo is easy, you can use a hand whisk or machine variation:

    egg yolks (or you can use the whole egg)
    an optional emulsifier (dijon mustard is common)
    an acid (lemon juice or vinegar of choice)
    oil.

    It is really simple to make, just add the oil slowly while whisking. Far superior to anything you can ever purchase.
    If you're really lazy you can put it in a processor and whip the eggs while slowly adding your oil and flavorings. If you don't mind a creamier mayo you can put in heavy cream or milk, but it will be a little runnier if you don't add an emulsifier. Makes great potato salad dressing though.

  8. #56388
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,727
    Best foods mayonnaise contains neither sugar, nor HFCS.

    https://smartlabel.labelinsight.com/...s?locale=en_us
    meh

  9. #56389

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    6,742
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Best foods mayonnaise contains neither sugar, nor HFCS.

    https://smartlabel.labelinsight.com/...s?locale=en_us
    it literally says sugar right there in the ingredients list. they just don't list it in the nutrition section because of ludicrous US food labelling laws that anything under a certain amount in a given "serving" counts as zero, regardless of how ludicrously small that serving is. see also: tic tacs.

  10. #56390
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,090
    Yeh man that is pretty odd. Sugar is listed as an ingredient but doesn't feature on the nutritional breakdown.

  11. #56391
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,727
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Best foods mayonnaise contains neither sugar, nor HFCS.

    https://smartlabel.labelinsight.com/...s?locale=en_us
    it literally says sugar right there in the ingredients list. they just don't list it in the nutrition section because of ludicrous US food labelling laws that anything under a certain amount in a given "serving" counts as zero, regardless of how ludicrously small that serving is. see also: tic tacs.
    mfw the 4th thing on googles handy little "people also ask list" is "Can I die from eating too many tic tacs."

    Maybe it's a good thing we are dooming ourselves.
    meh

  12. #56392
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,263
    Best mayo is full fat hellmans and I will fite anyone's bumhole that disagrees

  13. #56393

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,643
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Best mayo is full fat hellmans and I will fite anyone's bumhole that disagrees
    I used to be a hellmans guy until I discovered full fat full egg Italian ubermayo. Still gut tho.

  14. #56394

    Join Date
    August 18, 2014
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Best mayo is full fat hellmans and I will fite anyone's bumhole that disagrees
    Seriously, make your own. You can tweak the seasonings to your liking, as well as experiment with the type of oil you use to change the flavor, depending on application.

  15. #56395

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    6,742
    Step 1: Make chilli oil
    Step 2: Make chilli oil mayonnaise
    Step 3: Enjoy every sandwich without home made chilli oil mayonnaise ever so slightly less for all time

  16. #56396
    Ski Boot Fortior's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Posts
    2,628
    Not gonna bother past the link, but as soon as GOP senators etc were briefed about kashoggi they immediately point out MBS as the culprit. Not the slightest support for trump's view on it.
    Real men pvp in barges.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    good to see that Fortior seems like a decent bloke and isn't a gay fat faggot nerd despite his pony avatar

  17. #56397

    Join Date
    August 18, 2014
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortior View Post
    Not gonna bother past the link, but as soon as GOP senators etc were briefed about kashoggi they immediately point out MBS as the culprit. Not the slightest support for trump's view on it.
    That was the trick, wasn't it? If you don't brief any senators, they won't know how much the administration is covering until weeks later and it's less of a big deal.

  18. #56398
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,648
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.2a1ce3ea6fdf

    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s $21 trillion mistake

    By Salvador Rizzo
    December 4 at 3:00 AM

    “$21 TRILLION of Pentagon financial transactions ‘could not be traced, documented, or explained.’ $21T in Pentagon accounting errors. Medicare for All costs ~$32T. That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.”

    — Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), in a tweet, Dec. 2, 2018

    The Defense Department is awash with money. So much money that neither the staff nor 1,200 auditors could make sense of where it all went. (The Pentagon recently failed its first big audit in history.)

    Enter Ocasio-Cortez. She supports expanding Medicare to people under 65, what’s known as single-payer or Medicare-for-all. But the big question is how to pay for all that health care. According to an estimate from the Urban Institute, the price tag on Sen. Bernie Sanders’s Medicare-for-all proposal would be $32 trillion over 10 years.

    Maybe the Pentagon has a few trillion dollars lying around somewhere, as Ocasio-Cortez implied? Let’s find out.

    The Facts

    Ocasio-Cortez claimed on Twitter that $21 trillion in “Pentagon accounting errors” could have paid for 66 percent of the Medicare-for-all proposal. Her tweet references an article in the Nation, a left-leaning magazine. The specific line about the missing $21 trillion comes from research by Mark Skidmore, an economics professor at Michigan State University.

    Skidmore has been tracking opaque federal budget moves for years. He tallied $21 trillion in unsupported accounting adjustments at the Pentagon from 1998 to 2015. The department’s comptroller says these are budgetary moves that “lack supporting documentation ... or are not tied to specific accounting transactions.”

    In 2001, for example, then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld testified to Congress that “we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions.” For 2015, the Pentagon reported $6.5 trillion in “unsupported journal voucher adjustments.”

    Skidmore contends that the Pentagon has competent personnel and is no more complex than a large multinational corporation, which makes the trillion-dollar accounting gaps all the more puzzling.

    “The ongoing and repeated nature of the unsupported journal voucher adjustments coupled with the seemingly enormous size of the adjustments warrants the attention of both citizens and elected officials,” Skidmore wrote in a 2017 paper, adding later, “It should be feasible to track revenues flowing in and expenditures flowing out, and share this information in a format that can be understood by literate people.”

    Regardless, in the situation Skidmore is describing, the $21 trillion is not one big pot of dormant money collecting dust somewhere. It’s the sum of all transactions — both inflows and outflows — for which the Defense Department did not have adequate documentation. “The same dollar could be accounted for many times,” as Philip Klein wrote in the Washington Examiner.

    Skidmore’s paper clearly talks about Pentagon “assets” and “liabilities.” This key distinction was duly noted in the Nation article that Ocasio-Cortez referenced on Twitter.

    To be clear, Skidmore, in a report coauthored with Catherine Austin Fitts, a former assistant secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development who complained about similar plugs in HUD financial statements, does not contend that all of this $21 trillion was secret or misused funding. And indeed, the plugs are found on both the positive and the negative sides of the ledger, thus potentially netting each other out. But the Pentagon’s bookkeeping is so obtuse, Skidmore and Fitts added, that it is impossible to trace the actual sources and destinations of the $21 trillion.


    But it did not appear in her tweet, which clearly implied that the $21 trillion could have been used to pay for 66 percent of the $32 trillion in estimated Medicare-for-All costs.

    “To clarify, this is to say that we only demand fiscal details [with health and education], rarely elsewhere,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a follow-up tweet.

    “The point, I think, was more about how we care so little about the ‘how do you pay for it’ when we are talking about war and military spending,” her spokesman wrote in an email. “It’s only when we are talking about investing in the physical and economic well-being of our citizenry that we become concerned with the price tags.”

    That’s not the argument coming through in her original tweet, which has been retweeted by nearly 25,000 users. Most people reading the tweet are likely to take its flawed comparison at face value.

    It’s also worth pointing out that Skidmore’s total covers 17 years (1998 to 2015), whereas the Urban Institute’s $32 trillion estimate for Sanders’s Medicare plan covers 10 years. So the two numbers are not apples-to-apples to begin with.

    After this fact check was published, Pentagon spokesman Christopher Sherwood said “DoD hasn’t received $21 trillion in (nominal) appropriated funding across the entirety of American history.”

    “Money Congress appropriates for DoD stays at the Department of the Treasury until they make a payment on behalf of DoD,” he said. “Any funds that remain unspent at the end of the period of availability will remain at the Department of the Treasury and are no longer available to DoD at that point.”

    The Pentagon is working to fix the accounting gaps, Sherwood added, "by reducing the labor needed to manually enter the Journal Vouchers and reducing the time it takes to perform research” for account reconciliation.

    Let’s put $21 trillion in context. The entire national debt is $21.8 trillion. According to the Congressional Budget Office, total defense spending from 1998 to 2015 was nearly $9 trillion. The CBO estimates $7 trillion in defense spending from 2019 to 2028.

    In other words, completely defunding the military for the next decade would yield only one-fifth of $32 trillion. That’s a much better way of illustrating the cost of Medicare-for-All.

    The Pinocchio Test

    Swing and a miss!

    Ocasio-Cortez is not the first Twitter user to mangle information from a news report. But it’s unconvincing to try to pass this off as a rhetorical point being misread. She cited the $21 trillion figure and said “66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.”

    That’s a direct comparison. It’s badly flawed. The same article she referenced on Twitter would have set her straight. The tweet is still up, probably causing confusion. So we will award Four Pinocchios to Ocasio-Cortez.

    Four Pinocchios



  19. #56399
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.2a1ce3ea6fdf

    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s $21 trillion mistake

    By Salvador Rizzo
    December 4 at 3:00 AM

    “$21 TRILLION of Pentagon financial transactions ‘could not be traced, documented, or explained.’ $21T in Pentagon accounting errors. Medicare for All costs ~$32T. That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.”

    — Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), in a tweet, Dec. 2, 2018

    The Defense Department is awash with money. So much money that neither the staff nor 1,200 auditors could make sense of where it all went. (The Pentagon recently failed its first big audit in history.)

    Enter Ocasio-Cortez. She supports expanding Medicare to people under 65, what’s known as single-payer or Medicare-for-all. But the big question is how to pay for all that health care. According to an estimate from the Urban Institute, the price tag on Sen. Bernie Sanders’s Medicare-for-all proposal would be $32 trillion over 10 years.

    Maybe the Pentagon has a few trillion dollars lying around somewhere, as Ocasio-Cortez implied? Let’s find out.

    The Facts

    Ocasio-Cortez claimed on Twitter that $21 trillion in “Pentagon accounting errors” could have paid for 66 percent of the Medicare-for-all proposal. Her tweet references an article in the Nation, a left-leaning magazine. The specific line about the missing $21 trillion comes from research by Mark Skidmore, an economics professor at Michigan State University.

    Skidmore has been tracking opaque federal budget moves for years. He tallied $21 trillion in unsupported accounting adjustments at the Pentagon from 1998 to 2015. The department’s comptroller says these are budgetary moves that “lack supporting documentation ... or are not tied to specific accounting transactions.”

    In 2001, for example, then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld testified to Congress that “we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions.” For 2015, the Pentagon reported $6.5 trillion in “unsupported journal voucher adjustments.”

    Skidmore contends that the Pentagon has competent personnel and is no more complex than a large multinational corporation, which makes the trillion-dollar accounting gaps all the more puzzling.

    “The ongoing and repeated nature of the unsupported journal voucher adjustments coupled with the seemingly enormous size of the adjustments warrants the attention of both citizens and elected officials,” Skidmore wrote in a 2017 paper, adding later, “It should be feasible to track revenues flowing in and expenditures flowing out, and share this information in a format that can be understood by literate people.”

    Regardless, in the situation Skidmore is describing, the $21 trillion is not one big pot of dormant money collecting dust somewhere. It’s the sum of all transactions — both inflows and outflows — for which the Defense Department did not have adequate documentation. “The same dollar could be accounted for many times,” as Philip Klein wrote in the Washington Examiner.

    Skidmore’s paper clearly talks about Pentagon “assets” and “liabilities.” This key distinction was duly noted in the Nation article that Ocasio-Cortez referenced on Twitter.

    To be clear, Skidmore, in a report coauthored with Catherine Austin Fitts, a former assistant secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development who complained about similar plugs in HUD financial statements, does not contend that all of this $21 trillion was secret or misused funding. And indeed, the plugs are found on both the positive and the negative sides of the ledger, thus potentially netting each other out. But the Pentagon’s bookkeeping is so obtuse, Skidmore and Fitts added, that it is impossible to trace the actual sources and destinations of the $21 trillion.


    But it did not appear in her tweet, which clearly implied that the $21 trillion could have been used to pay for 66 percent of the $32 trillion in estimated Medicare-for-All costs.

    “To clarify, this is to say that we only demand fiscal details [with health and education], rarely elsewhere,” Ocasio-Cortez said in a follow-up tweet.

    “The point, I think, was more about how we care so little about the ‘how do you pay for it’ when we are talking about war and military spending,” her spokesman wrote in an email. “It’s only when we are talking about investing in the physical and economic well-being of our citizenry that we become concerned with the price tags.”

    That’s not the argument coming through in her original tweet, which has been retweeted by nearly 25,000 users. Most people reading the tweet are likely to take its flawed comparison at face value.

    It’s also worth pointing out that Skidmore’s total covers 17 years (1998 to 2015), whereas the Urban Institute’s $32 trillion estimate for Sanders’s Medicare plan covers 10 years. So the two numbers are not apples-to-apples to begin with.

    After this fact check was published, Pentagon spokesman Christopher Sherwood said “DoD hasn’t received $21 trillion in (nominal) appropriated funding across the entirety of American history.”

    “Money Congress appropriates for DoD stays at the Department of the Treasury until they make a payment on behalf of DoD,” he said. “Any funds that remain unspent at the end of the period of availability will remain at the Department of the Treasury and are no longer available to DoD at that point.”

    The Pentagon is working to fix the accounting gaps, Sherwood added, "by reducing the labor needed to manually enter the Journal Vouchers and reducing the time it takes to perform research” for account reconciliation.

    Let’s put $21 trillion in context. The entire national debt is $21.8 trillion. According to the Congressional Budget Office, total defense spending from 1998 to 2015 was nearly $9 trillion. The CBO estimates $7 trillion in defense spending from 2019 to 2028.

    In other words, completely defunding the military for the next decade would yield only one-fifth of $32 trillion. That’s a much better way of illustrating the cost of Medicare-for-All.

    The Pinocchio Test

    Swing and a miss!

    Ocasio-Cortez is not the first Twitter user to mangle information from a news report. But it’s unconvincing to try to pass this off as a rhetorical point being misread. She cited the $21 trillion figure and said “66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon.”

    That’s a direct comparison. It’s badly flawed. The same article she referenced on Twitter would have set her straight. The tweet is still up, probably causing confusion. So we will award Four Pinocchios to Ocasio-Cortez.

    Four Pinocchios

    You REALLY hate that woman. More than the many many despicable men and women that have been raping the country for years.

  20. #56400
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Her tweet references an article in the Nation, a left-leaning magazine. The specific line about the missing $21 trillion comes from research by Mark Skidmore, an economics professor at Michigan State University.
    It was also on Forbes, if you're biased against The Nation: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotliko.../#7d00749a7aef
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •