hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2747 of 2787 FirstFirst ... 1747224726472697273727442745274627472748274927502757 ... LastLast
Results 54,921 to 54,940 of 55726

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    why the hell do you still use machines in all honesty

pen/pencil if you're a ukip ufo tinfoiler, a paper and a booth followed by a walk to a box. from the poll stations i've run it maybe takes 1min for a voter to enter, be checked (poll cards vs list), vote and leave

ed- and the saving time on a count thing isn't valid either - basically you get a load of people sat in a gym hall and someone walks up with a box, tips it out and then it all gets sorted into piles and counted. all of this is open to media and politicians to avoid boxes magically appearing etc.

Can't inexplicably flip votes in predominantly ethnic areas if they're all using a pencil and everyone can see you count.

Something something big tent something something pragmatism something something never happen something something lesser of two evils something something hold your nose.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Can't inexplicably flip votes in predominantly ethnic areas if they're all using a pencil and everyone can see you count.
    edited my post, but this explains the UK system; https://www.electoralcommission.org....n-handbook.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    why the hell do you still use machines in all honesty

pen/pencil if you're a ukip ufo tinfoiler, a paper and a booth followed by a walk to a box. from the poll stations i've run it maybe takes 1min for a voter to enter, be checked (poll cards vs list), vote and leave

ed- and the saving time on a count thing isn't valid either - basically you get a load of people sat in a gym hall and someone walks up with a box, tips it out and then it all gets sorted into piles and counted. all of this is open to media and politicians to avoid boxes magically appearing etc.
    You’d think, right?

But that’d be too democratic for this ‘democratic republic.’

the real election is in the primaries. After that's over with, you pretty-much have to vote for the lesser of two evils.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

The Merced, California, campaign office of state Senate candidate Anna Caballero was burglarized in the early hours of Election Day, according to Merced Police.

Computers and other property worth about $24,000 were stolen in the break-in, along with 9,500 door hangers, according to Lt. Alan Ward. He adds that there are no suspects in the incident.

“I am more determined than ever,” Caballero said in a tweet. “They can steal our door hangers but they can’t steal this election.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    the real election is in the primaries. After that's over with, you pretty-much have to vote for the lesser of two evils.
    Which is why Ocasio-Cortez defeating corrupt Joe Crowley was such a ray of hope in the world of darkness that is US politics. Sorry to be melodramatic and to keep beating her drum but it shows that it's possible to unseat the corrupt nepotic incumbents with a grassroots campaign, at least for now. Superdelegates are still a thing.

The normal Republicans & Democrats are different sides of the same coin, no matter who wins the big money keeps going in the same direction.
    This last election the Dems kept Sanders in his box but the Repubs screwed up & Trump got out. Worse yet for the status quo, he won!

Will have to move up to ultradelegates next cycle.

'Murica

meh

You’re a citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    The Merced, California, campaign office of state Senate candidate Anna Caballero was burglarized in the early hours of Election Day, according to Merced Police.

Computers and other property worth about $24,000 were stolen in the break-in, along with 9,500 door hangers, according to Lt. Alan Ward. He adds that there are no suspects in the incident.

“I am more determined than ever,” Caballero said in a tweet. “They can steal our door hangers but they can’t steal this election.”
    She didn’t want those door hangers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    You’re a citizen?
    C. I chose to become one of you.

InB4 "They let illegals vote in CA"
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Which is why Ocasio-Cortez defeating corrupt Joe Crowley was such a ray of hope in the world of darkness that is US politics. Sorry to be melodramatic and to keep beating her drum but it shows that it's possible to unseat the corrupt nepotic incumbents with a grassroots campaign, at least for now. Superdelegates are still a thing.
    I know she is the new great shiny new hype, but her grasp of how Government and public policy actually works is materially weaker than one might prefer in an elected official. She's no Elizabeth Warren, that's for sure.

I'm all for throwing out the landed gentry of lifelong political elites (I like term limits myself), but I'm not sure she's the one I'd hang my hat on.

I think she's going to be very entertaining once in office.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    You’re a citizen?

Dude, that Pic. Lern to Camera.

I think he looks very manly

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    You’re a citizen?

Dude, that Pic. Lern to Camera.
    Blame Apfel, not me.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Only sort of.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/25/u...crats-dnc.html

Under the new plan, which was agreed to on Saturday afternoon in Chicago at the Democratic National Committee’s annual summer meetings, superdelegates retain their power to back any candidate regardless of how the public votes. They will now be largely barred, however, from participating in the first ballot of the presidential nominating process at the party’s convention — drastically diluting their power.

Superdelegates will be able to cast substantive votes only in extraordinary cases like contested conventions, in which the nomination process is extended through multiple ballots until one candidate prevails.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Ocasio-Cortez is a kid and won't or at least shouldn't run for anything major for 10 more years.