hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2698 of 2707 FirstFirst ... 169821982598264826882695269626972698269927002701 ... LastLast
Results 53,941 to 53,960 of 54121

Thread: USA Politics Thread

First SCOTUS portrait of judge Kavanaugh

Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    The theory is that it gives voters direct control rather than making all of these positions political appointments. The reality is that it's honestly worse. There are states where judges are elected. It's fucking terrible.
    Minnesota allows sheriffs and supreme court justices to be elected. Seems to work out fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    The last thing we want is for people to start thinking there is no point in a judiciary or the rule of law.
    It's hard for me to respect a judiciary that continuously punts on important issues like gerrymandering when they know Congress is responsible and won't fix it. People come to the courts because the executive branch has no jurisdiction and the legislative branch is responsible. They are literally petitioning the federal government for a redress of grievances, and they are being denied due to judicial timidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Basically you want a "return to civility", from what I gather? The red line was already been crossed during the Obama administration, there's no going back now. If the Democrats keep playing nice, the Republicans will keep winning.

If some rednecks and alt-reichers decide to start a US version of "The Troubles" because they no longer have the electoral power to discriminate against gays, women, and minorities, then it's just something the US is going to have to go through. Even if the Dems don't court pack and play nice with the far right, I think an American "troubles" are inevitable right now.
    Disagreeing with the timeline in regards to Obama, but reluctantly agreeing with the rest.
    Last edited by Nordstern; October 10 2018 at 08:45:44 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Electing judges, public prosecutors and sherifs is such an alien concept, I still can't understand how anyone might think it's a good idea.

An article with some thoughts on this:

https://www.economist.com/united-sta...lecting-judges

My fav bits are these two:
    Alexis de Tocqueville, whose travels around the country coincided with the spread of judicial elections, predicted that “these innovations will, sooner or later, have disastrous results.”
    Still, de Tocqueville’s view that judicial elections were an attack “against the democratic republic itself” is worth listening to. When first introduced, elections were seen as a way to insulate judicial nominations from the perception of corruption. Now they are having the opposite effect.
    Just so you know, Alexis de Tocqueville was a French diplomat traveling through the USA in the 1830s

Also a Harvard Law reviews book written by a Harvard Law faculty member that presents a history of US judge selection systems.

https://today.law.harvard.edu/book-r...on-in-the-u-s/

Of all the methods he looks at, Shugerman claims that merit selection, which involves vetting by a panel of professionals and executive appointment to a first term, followed by retention elections, has yielded the most judicial independence.
    nevar forget

Toqueville's critique of the US system is absolutely on the money.

New York Magazine does an interview with Trump about rumours that John Kelly is getting fired and it is literally batshit insane.

“When the president says, I need you to leave, Kelly just ignores him,” the administration official said. “I think the president just doesn’t know who to call to fire him. Normally if the president wanted to fire somebody, he would call Kelly to do it. But there’s nobody else to call.”
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...ald-trump.html

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    New York Magazine does an interview with Trump about rumours that John Kelly is getting fired and it is literally batshit insane.

“When the president says, I need you to leave, Kelly just ignores him,” the administration official said. “I think the president just doesn’t know who to call to fire him. Normally if the president wanted to fire somebody, he would call Kelly to do it. But there’s nobody else to call.”
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...ald-trump.html
    When you walk in here, you don’t see chaos. There is no chaos. The media likes to portray chaos. There’s no chaos. I’m leaving for Iowa in a little while. We’re doing something that’s going to be very exciting tonight in Iowa. A big, a big announcement, actually. Doing four rallies this week. I think the rallies have, frankly, built up our poll numbers very greatly. What am I now in Rasmussen? 52?”

The question was directed at Sanders, who confirmed the number. [Note: The Rasmussen poll had Trump at 51 percent.]

“Plus there’s 10 percent, they think, where people don’t respond, unfortunately. I’m not sure if this is nice or not nice, but when they don’t respond, that means it’s an automatic Trump vote. But it’s a 52,” Trump said, “and we’re doing very well in the polls.
    The very definition of pronoid.

I asked Trump to explain how the White House was different with Kelly as chief of staff. “He’s a four-star marine. He is a man who likes to see order and discipline, which I like. We came in and it was more free-rolling. We did a lot! We did a lot during the entire period. But I think there is great order now.” He claimed that this has never been a point of frustration, as has often been reported. “No, I like it. I like order. I like it both ways! Honestly, I’ve had it both ways. I’ve had it both ways in my life and in my business, and sometimes freewheeling is a very good thing. You know, it’s not a bad thing. We did a lot. If you look at the first six months, we did a lot.”
    Umm...

“Stay there for a second. I just wanted to see Olivia for two seconds,” Trump said. “Look, look who comes in, and we actually have lunch today,” Trump said.

I jokingly asked if I was invited to the lunch. “Anytime you want,” Trump said. Kelly, who was sitting down near me across from the president’s desk, remarked, “Best French fries in the world.”
    Leader of the free world, and he orders french fries often enough for Kelly to remark on it.

I explained to the president that my point was not about Bannon specifically, but that generally, he’s made it difficult to believe what he says about whether or not he is going to keep a member of the staff around. Trump replied that he has good relationships, asking if I could name anyone who “speaks bad about me on the record.”

“People that are off the record — I think it doesn’t even exist. I think writers make it up,” he said. “Generally, generally. Not in all cases, but generally.”

“Well, you’ve cited anonymous sources before,” I said. “Were they made up?”

He didn’t respond.
    Of course he didn't respond.
    And if you remember, you heard my story, when I got elected — I haven’t been to Washington my whole life, very rarely, probably never slept over. All of a sudden, I’m president of the United States. I didn’t know a lot of people in Washington.
    Not even the ones who operated the hotel with your name on it?
    I asked Trump if he was worried as he looked forward, about the midterms and about the Mueller investigation.

“Well, the Mueller investigation, if anything, it’s showing that the Democrats colluded with Russia and others. And it’s showing there’s no collusion from me. There never was. And yes, I’m very satisfied with the way that’s going. It’s a process. I’m very satisfied. I consider it to be an illegal investigation. It should’ve never been called. But is there anything there? Nothing. There’s no collusion. There is no collusion. By the way, I don’t know if you heard, [North Carolina senator] Richard Burr just came out, he said, ‘No, we have found no collusion.’ He’s a judge at the Senate committee. [Note: Burr is chair of Senate Intelligence Committee.] And you know, Nunes and all of them, Congressman Nunes came out and said there’s no collusion. So, you have two committees that spent much more than a year on this and they have found no collusion. Richard Burr just made the statement, just very recently. He said: ‘I found no collusion.’ You know why? Because there is no collusion. And they only interviewed, like, hundreds — I mean, the number of people is, like, incredible. The money that’s been spent is incredible. They’ve found no collusion.
    More QAnon delusions.
    Last edited by Nordstern; October 11 2018 at 11:45:30 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm

Does anyone else find reading the transcript of anything Trump says quite difficult? He speaks so strangely with such staccato semi-sentences, it's bloody tiring.

He speaks like a moron
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

"I respect you," Trump told me.

I'm sure Trump says that to all blonde under-30s.

Oh this reporter, Olivia Nuzzi, let herself into (or someone else let her into) Corey Lewandowski's house and posted a bunch of pictures of it on twitter.

Last edited by Approaching Walrus; October 11 2018 at 12:49:22 PM.

She missed an obvious opportunity to burn down Corey Lewandowski's house, with him in it.

womp womp.
    meh

In all justice to Trump, if I was president I'd have chips three times a week too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

In the meantime, the days of 27K Dow Jones are over

Stock markets around the world are selling off sharply as fears about slowing economic growth and rising interest rates spook investors. Declines in US futures Thursday show the sell-off is not slowing down.

The Dow Jones saw its third-largest one-day point drop in history on Wednesday; the bloodbath then spread to Asia, with China's Shanghai Composite losing more than 5%.

Europe was suffering Thursday, with all major bourses down at least 1%, and the so-called "fear index" was spiking, up 5.4%.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/glob...g-rise-2018-10

All bull runs end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Makes you wonder how crazy this Presidency will go once the economy slows down, or worse, constricts.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Makes you wonder how crazy this Presidency will go once the economy slows down, or worse, constricts.
    "The greatest recession"
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    "The greatest recession"
    "Folks, I was doing an amazing job, tremendous, they were saying no one had done a better job before, then the democrats took the house, and now the economy is bad"

Can I get a The Jews Did This meme?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    In the meantime, the days of 27K Dow Jones are over

Stock markets around the world are selling off sharply as fears about slowing economic growth and rising interest rates spook investors. Declines in US futures Thursday show the sell-off is not slowing down.

The Dow Jones saw its third-largest one-day point drop in history on Wednesday; the bloodbath then spread to Asia, with China's Shanghai Composite losing more than 5%.

Europe was suffering Thursday, with all major bourses down at least 1%, and the so-called "fear index" was spiking, up 5.4%.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/glob...g-rise-2018-10
    Over $800 billion in wealth went *poof* yesterday because some investors whinged about losing access to cheap money.

The bank balances aren't wealth until you manage to cash out and apply it to something.

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    The bank balances aren't wealth until you manage to cash out and apply it to something.
    Yeah, like Jeff Bezos' wealth is basically theoretical since the vast majority is Amazon stock and there's some wall street wizardry that means it would be worthless if he cashed out