hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2389 of 2415 FirstFirst ... 1389188922892339237923862387238823892390239123922399 ... LastLast
Results 47,761 to 47,780 of 48289

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #47761
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    13,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post
    Breaking the Iran deal was a good move tbh. Iran having working nuclear weapons sounds like it'd make that part of the world a lot more interesting.
    The US has made it super clear that owning nuclear weapons is the only way to live with the US, and that zero points are awarding for giving up nuclear weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  2. #47762
    Jori McKie's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8, 2014
    Location
    Homeless
    Posts
    106
    That's the elephant in the room. What will North Korea do?

    North Korea's history about sticking to international deals is bad, Kim's father always used nuclear weapons or the threat to develop them to leverage an economic deal or at least avoid sanctions. Then break the deal anyway.

    Does Kim fear more he will lose power due to internal problems or that the U.S. will do something stupid. My bet as long as Kim has China's support he doesn't need nuclear weapons so some kind of deal will happen but who knows both sides are crazies.

  3. #47763
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    That's the elephant in the room. What will North Korea do?

    North Korea's history about sticking to international deals is bad, Kim's father always used nuclear weapons or the threat to develop them to leverage an economic deal or at least avoid sanctions. Then break the deal anyway.

    Does Kim fear more he will lose power due to internal problems or that the U.S. will do something stupid. My bet as long as Kim has China's support he doesn't need nuclear weapons so some kind of deal will happen but who knows both sides are crazies.
    Naw naw guy. This is the new Kim. Totally different and trustable. Honest guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  4. #47764
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    2,160
    If I were Kim and in a trolling mood, I'd get what I could then sign up to the NPT with incredible fanfare, announcing my commitment to nuclear disarmament alongside the other Great World Powers(TM).

    Actually disarming seems unlikely, theres no credible incentive to doing so and every dictator who has has found themselves bombed then toppled by the US within years.

  5. #47765
    Timaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    If I were Kim and in a trolling mood, I'd get what I could then sign up to the NPT with incredible fanfare, announcing my commitment to nuclear disarmament alongside the other Great World Powers(TM).

    Actually disarming seems unlikely, theres no credible incentive to doing so and every dictator who has has found themselves bombed then toppled by the US within years.
    I don't see any real incentive to disarming to anyone, really. I can think of only one case where a country actually gave up it's nuclear program (South Africa), but both India and Pakistan didn't seem to get any flak from developing nukes. If you give up nukes, you get invaded (Ukraine) or if you don't develop a deterrent, you get invaded (Iraq etc.).

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  6. #47766
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    If I were Kim and in a trolling mood, I'd get what I could then sign up to the NPT with incredible fanfare, announcing my commitment to nuclear disarmament alongside the other Great World Powers(TM).

    Actually disarming seems unlikely, theres no credible incentive to doing so and every dictator who has has found themselves bombed then toppled by the US within years.
    I think only a true idiot would think this isn't the plan. I suspect Trump might fall for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  7. #47767
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    If I were Kim and in a trolling mood, I'd get what I could then sign up to the NPT with incredible fanfare, announcing my commitment to nuclear disarmament alongside the other Great World Powers(TM).

    Actually disarming seems unlikely, theres no credible incentive to doing so and every dictator who has has found themselves bombed then toppled by the US within years.
    I don't see any real incentive to disarming to anyone, really. I can think of only one case where a country actually gave up it's nuclear program (South Africa), but both India and Pakistan didn't seem to get any flak from developing nukes. If you give up nukes, you get invaded (Ukraine) or if you don't develop a deterrent, you get invaded (Iraq etc.).
    The incentive was supposed to be (in the case of Iran anyway) inclusion in to the wonderful world of free trade and all of the perks of being allowed access to the economies of the world. ie, give up your nukes and we will help you turn your country in to not so much of a shithole. Unfortunately what actually happened is they got fucked over by the other side not following through, which just proves your point. Don't give up your nukes if you have them, and if you don't have them fuck everyone else till you get them. (Thanks Oba.. err.. Trump)
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  8. #47768
    Timaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    If I were Kim and in a trolling mood, I'd get what I could then sign up to the NPT with incredible fanfare, announcing my commitment to nuclear disarmament alongside the other Great World Powers(TM).

    Actually disarming seems unlikely, theres no credible incentive to doing so and every dictator who has has found themselves bombed then toppled by the US within years.
    I don't see any real incentive to disarming to anyone, really. I can think of only one case where a country actually gave up it's nuclear program (South Africa), but both India and Pakistan didn't seem to get any flak from developing nukes. If you give up nukes, you get invaded (Ukraine) or if you don't develop a deterrent, you get invaded (Iraq etc.).
    The incentive was supposed to be (in the case of Iran anyway) inclusion in to the wonderful world of free trade and all of the perks of being allowed access to the economies of the world. ie, give up your nukes and we will help you turn your country in to not so much of a shithole. Unfortunately what actually happened is they got fucked over by the other side not following through, which just proves your point. Don't give up your nukes if you have them, and if you don't have them fuck everyone else till you get them. (Thanks Oba.. err.. Trump)
    Yeah, I agree - that's how it's supposed to work. But like we agree, it's basically that if and only if you're not USA's side while other countries coughIsraelcough get a free pass or they are just ignored if they are too big to bully (Pakistan, India). If not, then it's just a big fuck you to the small country. I really like that the EU at least is trying to stick to the treaties it has signed (even if the treaty is suboptimal), I'd rather like them to actually mean something.

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  9. #47769

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    10,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    If I were Kim and in a trolling mood, I'd get what I could then sign up to the NPT with incredible fanfare, announcing my commitment to nuclear disarmament alongside the other Great World Powers(TM).

    Actually disarming seems unlikely, theres no credible incentive to doing so and every dictator who has has found themselves bombed then toppled by the US within years.
    I don't see any real incentive to disarming to anyone, really. I can think of only one case where a country actually gave up it's nuclear program (South Africa), but both India and Pakistan didn't seem to get any flak from developing nukes. If you give up nukes, you get invaded (Ukraine) or if you don't develop a deterrent, you get invaded (Iraq etc.).
    The incentive was supposed to be (in the case of Iran anyway) inclusion in to the wonderful world of free trade and all of the perks of being allowed access to the economies of the world. ie, give up your nukes and we will help you turn your country in to not so much of a shithole. Unfortunately what actually happened is they got fucked over by the other side not following through, which just proves your point. Don't give up your nukes if you have them, and if you don't have them fuck everyone else till you get them. (Thanks Oba.. err.. Trump)
    Yeah, I agree - that's how it's supposed to work. But like we agree, it's basically that if and only if you're not USA's side while other countries coughIsraelcough get a free pass or they are just ignored if they are too big to bully (Pakistan, India). If not, then it's just a big fuck you to the small country. I really like that the EU at least is trying to stick to the treaties it has signed (even if the treaty is suboptimal), I'd rather like them to actually mean something.
    And europe actually trades with them a fair bit too so they at least have sth from it.

  10. #47770
    thebomby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    6,826
    Although, to be fair, the US has had a hate boner for Iran ever since the Iranian US embassy hostage thing back in 1979. Sort of like Don Rumata's thing for Tesla.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

  11. #47771
    Sacul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    6,862
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Although, to be fair, the US has had a hate boner for Iran ever since the Iranian US embassy hostage thing back in 1979. Sort of like Don Rumata's thing for Tesla.
    And vice versa when uk and usa got the shah into power. The shah and his regime were african levels cruel. They allways viewed the usa as more responsible than the uk.

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    The foundation has no Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.
    1. Dr. Bright is not allowed to found a new Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.

  12. #47772
    Shaikar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Kador
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Although, to be fair, the US has had a hate boner for Iran ever since the Iranian US embassy hostage thing back in 1979. Sort of like Don Rumata's thing for Tesla.
    More to do with the Iranians having the temerity to depose the western installed Shah. Meddling with oil supplies is literally worse than terrorism.

  13. #47773
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    15,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    Meddling with oil supplies is literally worse than terrorism.
    The spice must flow
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  14. #47774

    Join Date
    July 3, 2014
    Posts
    3,514
    Quote Originally Posted by thebomby View Post
    Although, to be fair, the US has had a hate boner for Iran ever since the Iranian US embassy hostage thing back in 1979. Sort of like Don Rumata's thing for Tesla.
    I wonder why...


  15. #47775

    Join Date
    May 3, 2011
    Location
    on a boat
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Because only Fox news hold this opinion, hence any question related to that question marks one as a definitive Roy Moore voting.... lots of no doubt dumb shit i did not read goes here
    Literately only fox news and the neocon establishment are presenting the arguments you are in the US, granted both Israel, that we all know have it's cock so far up america's arse they're basically a parasite at this point, and Saudi Arabia has a significant interest in keeping Iran outside the door.

    when it quacks like a neocon and it walks like a neocon then it's most likely a fucking neocon and can be safely labelled as such.

    why the fuck do you think European heads of state fought so hard to keep this deal afloat ? bringing Iran out of the moronic sanctions provide a regional counterweight to Saudi Arabia that is, if anything a great deal more sane to deal with to boot. moreover the whole thing was a triumph of diplomacy over sabre rattling, it was a genuine, and badly needed bright spot in terms of the UN's prestige and it's ability to actually function as a arbiter of international relations.

    all Trump has accomplished is to strongly underline that doing diplomatic deals with the united states is meaningless, you dumb fucks will renege on the terms willy nilly and do everything in your power to undermine the agreements you, yourself signed. all this has achieved is to further isolate the US position in the world and further the goals of a de-facto ethnostate and a totalitarian theocratic monarchy.

    good fucking job lads.
    Do not take the following as an endorsement of what Trump has done, because I still don't know how I actually feel on the subject. I'm torn about three different ways and still working through all of the info. (It's a shit deal anyway, fuck it let them make bombs because Isreal and Egypt will bomb the fuck outta them before they get one functioning vs. Let it ride and see if Europe can leverage further developments diplomatically vs. Which devil do I like, Sauds or Mullahs.)

    The only reason Trump could do what he did, is because Obama backdoored the deal in, because it was actually a supremely shit deal that no Senate in the last 50 years would have touched with a 10 ft. pole.

    In fact, a lot of what Trump is doing is killing shit that Obama did because he had an authoritarian streak up his back wider than his actual back was. 'Fuck you Congress I'll just executive order everything because fuck negotiating' is not the job he was actually signed up for.

    That fact notwithstanding, Congress needs to develop a spine and be willing to do it's actual job and not cede everything it can to either the executive branch directly or to some indirect regulator.

    In summary: Everything's a shitshow, this didn't start with Trump.
    A critical exception has occurred. The exception is FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

  16. #47776
    Sacul's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Hollandistan
    Posts
    6,862
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgtSniper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Because only Fox news hold this opinion, hence any question related to that question marks one as a definitive Roy Moore voting.... lots of no doubt dumb shit i did not read goes here
    Literately only fox news and the neocon establishment are presenting the arguments you are in the US, granted both Israel, that we all know have it's cock so far up america's arse they're basically a parasite at this point, and Saudi Arabia has a significant interest in keeping Iran outside the door.

    when it quacks like a neocon and it walks like a neocon then it's most likely a fucking neocon and can be safely labelled as such.

    why the fuck do you think European heads of state fought so hard to keep this deal afloat ? bringing Iran out of the moronic sanctions provide a regional counterweight to Saudi Arabia that is, if anything a great deal more sane to deal with to boot. moreover the whole thing was a triumph of diplomacy over sabre rattling, it was a genuine, and badly needed bright spot in terms of the UN's prestige and it's ability to actually function as a arbiter of international relations.

    all Trump has accomplished is to strongly underline that doing diplomatic deals with the united states is meaningless, you dumb fucks will renege on the terms willy nilly and do everything in your power to undermine the agreements you, yourself signed. all this has achieved is to further isolate the US position in the world and further the goals of a de-facto ethnostate and a totalitarian theocratic monarchy.

    good fucking job lads.
    Do not take the following as an endorsement of what Trump has done, because I still don't know how I actually feel on the subject. I'm torn about three different ways and still working through all of the info. (It's a shit deal anyway, fuck it let them make bombs because Isreal and Egypt will bomb the fuck outta them before they get one functioning vs. Let it ride and see if Europe can leverage further developments diplomatically vs. Which devil do I like, Sauds or Mullahs.)

    The only reason Trump could do what he did, is because Obama backdoored the deal in, because it was actually a supremely shit deal that no Senate in the last 50 years would have touched with a 10 ft. pole.

    In fact, a lot of what Trump is doing is killing shit that Obama did because he had an authoritarian streak up his back wider than his actual back was. 'Fuck you Congress I'll just executive order everything because fuck negotiating' is not the job he was actually signed up for.

    That fact notwithstanding, Congress needs to develop a spine and be willing to do it's actual job and not cede everything it can to either the executive branch directly or to some indirect regulator.

    In summary: Everything's a shitshow, this didn't start with Trump.
    While i agree obama wasnt the best he did most of his executie order stuff because most of congres and senate were all fuck you Obama we will just block 97% of your ideas and 90% of general Democratiic party ideas for good measure.

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    The foundation has no Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.
    1. Dr. Bright is not allowed to found a new Mobile Task Force dedicated to the capture and containment of forum trolls.

  17. #47777
    Varcaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15, 2011
    Posts
    20,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgtSniper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Because only Fox news hold this opinion, hence any question related to that question marks one as a definitive Roy Moore voting.... lots of no doubt dumb shit i did not read goes here
    Literately only fox news and the neocon establishment are presenting the arguments you are in the US, granted both Israel, that we all know have it's cock so far up america's arse they're basically a parasite at this point, and Saudi Arabia has a significant interest in keeping Iran outside the door.

    when it quacks like a neocon and it walks like a neocon then it's most likely a fucking neocon and can be safely labelled as such.

    why the fuck do you think European heads of state fought so hard to keep this deal afloat ? bringing Iran out of the moronic sanctions provide a regional counterweight to Saudi Arabia that is, if anything a great deal more sane to deal with to boot. moreover the whole thing was a triumph of diplomacy over sabre rattling, it was a genuine, and badly needed bright spot in terms of the UN's prestige and it's ability to actually function as a arbiter of international relations.

    all Trump has accomplished is to strongly underline that doing diplomatic deals with the united states is meaningless, you dumb fucks will renege on the terms willy nilly and do everything in your power to undermine the agreements you, yourself signed. all this has achieved is to further isolate the US position in the world and further the goals of a de-facto ethnostate and a totalitarian theocratic monarchy.

    good fucking job lads.
    Do not take the following as an endorsement of what Trump has done, because I still don't know how I actually feel on the subject. I'm torn about three different ways and still working through all of the info. (It's a shit deal anyway, fuck it let them make bombs because Isreal and Egypt will bomb the fuck outta them before they get one functioning vs. Let it ride and see if Europe can leverage further developments diplomatically vs. Which devil do I like, Sauds or Mullahs.)

    The only reason Trump could do what he did, is because Obama backdoored the deal in, because it was actually a supremely shit deal that no Senate in the last 50 years would have touched with a 10 ft. pole.

    In fact, a lot of what Trump is doing is killing shit that Obama did because he had an authoritarian streak up his back wider than his actual back was. 'Fuck you Congress I'll just executive order everything because fuck negotiating' is not the job he was actually signed up for.

    That fact notwithstanding, Congress needs to develop a spine and be willing to do it's actual job and not cede everything it can to either the executive branch directly or to some indirect regulator.

    In summary: Everything's a shitshow, this didn't start with Trump.
    While i agree obama wasnt the best he did most of his executie order stuff because most of congres and senate were all fuck you Obama we will just block 97% of your ideas and 90% of general Democratiic party ideas for good measure.

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
    Yes but you see he was brown so its fine.

  18. #47778
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,909
    https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/0...ng-in-a-mosque

    The idea for a smattering of Republican activists to hold their annual convention at Dar al-Farooq, a Twin Cities mosque, started with two guys simply talking to each other.

    Abdulahi Farah and Zavier Bicott are both in their 30s. They met through a civic initiative called One Bloomington; both live in the Minneapolis suburb. Bicott, who chairs the Republican Liberty Caucus of Minnesota, told Farah he would love for his group to have an event at the mosque. And Farah, who runs programs at al-Farooq, was game.

    "I said, 'As a neighbor, definitely. This is one of the amenities. You guys are more than welcome to use here,'" Farah said. "And that's how the idea came up."

    Sensible as the idea seemed to them, it set off a firestorm of controversy within the party, particularly on social media.

    One woman commented on Facebook that it was "pure stupidity." Another said it was "disgusting" and was enabling those who want to destroy the country.

    Bicott and Farah acknowledged a virulent strain of anti-Muslim rhetoric within the Republican Party, but Bicott said he's gotten more support than criticism for the decision.

    This is the same mosque where members of a white militia from rural Illinois allegedly set off a bomb last summer. As horrific as that event was, the mosque was overwhelmed with community kindness. But Farah, a DFLer, asked Bicott: Why weren't there more Republican officials coming out to support the mosque?

    "You see Democratic Party leaders coming with smiles, flowers, and you have GOP leaders, on the other end, that have this rhetoric, all the way to the current president," Farah said.

    Bicott didn't vote for President Trump. But he said he's familiar with the anti-Muslim views of some of his fellow Republicans. They fear that Muslims in America will try to overtake the Constitution with their set of religious principles, known as sharia, he said.

    "And I just say, 'I'm a libertarian, I am pretty liberty-minded. I would be there to defend the Constitution with you if something like that happened,'" Bicott said. "But they're like, 'It's coming, inch by inch!' I just agree to disagree with them."



    https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/0...eportedly-says
    A day after Sen. John McCain urged his Senate colleagues to reject Gina Haspel as CIA director because she had overseen torture of detainees, a White House official reportedly mocked the ailing Arizona Republican, saying his opinion "doesn't matter" because "he's dying anyway."

    The Hill first reported the comment later confirmed by The Associated Press. Both cited unnamed individuals in the room when the disparaging remark was made by Kelly Sadler, a special assistant to the president.

    McCain, 81, who has incurable brain cancer, issued a statement on Wednesday calling Haspel's role in torture "disturbing" and "disqualifying" for the top CIA job.

    On Thursday, Cindy McCain tweeted at Sadler: "May I remind you my husband has a family, 7 children and 5 grandchildren."

    And on Friday, his daughter Meghan McCain, one of the hosts of daytime talk show The View, responded to Sadler on the program, saying, "Don't feel bad for me or my family."

    The White House did not dispute the remark attributed to Sadler but said in a statement, "We respect Senator McCain's service to our nation and he and his family are in our prayers during this difficult time."

    The reported remark by Sadler, a former opinion writer for the conservative Washington Times, came on the same day that a retired three-star general told Fox Business Network that the torture McCain endured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam "worked."

    "[It] worked on John [McCain]," retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Tom McInerney told Charles Payne of Fox Business Network on Thursday.

    "That's why they call him 'Songbird John,' " he said.

    The claim that McCain — who was imprisoned in the infamous "Hanoi Hilton" after his Navy A-4 was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967 — had collaborated with his captors has received a "pants on fire" rating from PolitiFact.

    PolitiFact, in a report from 2008, said there was "scant evidence to back up the claim and it is strongly contradicted by many other accounts ... [including] interviews with other POWs, an author who has written a McCain biography and the senator's own accounts."

    The comment by McInerney — who has been a proponent of the debunked claim that President Obama was born in Kenya and once suggested that Islamist sleeper agents might be embedded in the Obama White House — went unchallenged on-air by Payne.

    The host later apologized for the oversight, saying on Twitter that he "had the control room in my ear telling me to wrap the segment, and did not hear the comment."

    "As a proud military veteran and son of a Vietnam Vet these words neither reflect my or the network's feelings about Senator McCain, or his remarkable service and sacrifice to this country," Payne tweeted.

    During the presidential campaign in 2015, then-candidate Trump — who received multiple academic and medical deferments to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War — said McCain was only considered a war hero "because he was captured," adding "I like people who weren't captured."
    Last edited by Nordstern; May 11 2018 at 07:34:10 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  19. #47779
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    8,909
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  20. #47780

    Join Date
    July 14, 2013
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    ... no shit.

    Edit: Just for shits and giggles someone did some digging on Nunes and concluded that he may have done some real shit:

      Spoiler:

    Quote Originally Posted by Someone with too much time on their hands:
    I hate to repost things in the same thread, but there is a lot of confusion about Nunes' motivations. Here is why Nunes is doing what he is doing and why he is soiling himself in fear/acting like someone who is beyond guilty of something with no regard for how it looks:

    Nunes was named a "Grand Officer of the National Order of Prince Henry the Navigator" in 2013, an award that is only given to those who have performed "relevant services to the country of Portugal," but he hadn't done anything with the exception of being of Portuguese-Azorean decent. Publicly, that is.

    On a tangent, I have done a lot of research on Nunes (and unrelated reading about Lajes Field over the years, as I am a huge U.S. Air Force buff), and I think I know a) exactly why Nunes is shitting his pants and compromised by Russia; and b) why he is being so foolishly overt in his pro-Trump actions, despite the personal impact.

    I am convinced that his role in this entire saga is tied to the boner that he has for Lajes Field in the Azores. Granted I DO think the abandonment of the base by the American military is a really, really bad idea given that Lajes is a important strategic location for mid-Atlantic force projection with large amounts of base housing and infrastructure that was created but a short time ago. The economic devastation that has resulted from the wind-down of the American military presence on the island is significant, and it has adversely impacted the lives of much of the population of Terceira Island. In fact, China has expressed a willingness to quickly assume control of the base should the United States abandon the facility wholesale--this would greatly expand the sphere of their influence.

    That said, why did Nunes get that award, and why has he been trying so vociferously to expand American operations on the island at the expense of bases located within the heart of Europe and the United Kingdom over the last five years? (It is of course interesting that his impassioned defense of the facility and attacks on the Pentagon for raising the specter of base closure came around the time of his receipt of the award, beginning in December 2012-January 2013.) In order to better understand this, one must look at the primary role Lajes Field has historically played for the U.S. Military Forces stationed there.

    Lajes' primary strategic function since World War II has been two-fold: a) to serve as a stop-over point for U.S. Military aircraft in cross-Atlantic transit and to provide a staging area for KC-135s and other in-flight refueling aircraft; and b) as a staging area for anti-submarine patrols using ground-based surveillance equipment and submarine hunting aircraft like the P-3 Orion. That said, when the Cold War ended and Russian submarines stopped sneaking throughout the Atlantic, that reduced the usefulness of Lajes by 50%. With the advent of expanded midair refueling operations coupled with the difficulty of landing at Lajes due to frequent and horrible cross-winds, this further diminished the importance of the airbase.

    Over the years Lajes became a shell of itself, and despite significant investment in base housing and other construction at the facility in the 2000s, it has largely sat empty for several years now--even though the facility is still currently operated by American forces, their presence is negligible and thus the people of the island who once relied on American servicemen to come to their markets and restaurants are now struggling to make ends meet. With the diminished need for the two primary functions of the island, the minimal levels of permanent staff present there, the weather-related drawbacks of Lajes for use as an airport, and the emphasis on force and budget reductions in the U.S. Military following the Great Recession and the ballooning debt that resulted from the recovery, the decision was made to abandon the island.

    Immediately Nunes went on the offensive, recommending all sorts of EUCOM units in mainland Europe and the UK to relocate to the island. Of course, being 1,000 miles out in the Atlantic, many of the proposals were foolish (including his most recent quixotic effort from 2015-current to block construction of the Joint Intelligence Operations Europe Analytic Center at RAF Molesworth, an established Sigint facility already in existence/use with significant equipment present that is located in the relative proximity of London; he instead wants an entirely NEW facility constructed at Lajes, a base no one wants to move to and work on given its isolation and an absurd proposition given the costs of transporting equipment and forces there on a regular basis). However, Nunes continued to attempt to insert Lajes-friendly provisions in several bills and held numerous hearings attempting to shame Pentagon brass into relocating their operations to the island. At one point I think he even tried to eliminate housing subsidies for U.S. Intelligence Officers living in the UK in an attempt to hold them hostage in exchange for the relocation of operations to Lajes.

    Nothing he has done over the years has seemed to work. Lajes is a base that is just too isolated to serve as a viable location for anything other than its previously established two-fold mission. Going back to the beginning years of Nunes' struggle, however, and around the time of his receipt of the Portuguese award, there was an interesting development--someone with Portuguese connections had been leaking NATO military intelligence to Russia (Note that Portugal is a NATO member, and further note that the President of Portugal who awarded the honor to Nunes is a good friend of Putin and close to Russia).

    It was right around the exact time of the decision to draw-down at Lajes that Russian submarines began sneaking around the Atlantic in a manner similar to Soviet operations. A news story from late 2012 details a Russian sub that skirted U.S. Naval defenses and patrolled the Gulf of Mexico unhindered for weeks. Other stories speak about a Russian sub sitting off the eastern coast of the U.S. and still others patrolling the North Atlantic on a more frequent basis. This activity has grown at an average of 50% year-over-year since late 2012/early 2013 when the battle over the future of Lajes began, with Russian sub patrols reaching Cold War-levels in 2015/2016. Why would this be?

    Let's recall the two important purposes Lajes had served for decades, particularly during the Cold War: it was a stopover and refueling hub, and... it was vital for submarine hunting in the Atlantic Ocean. The one way to make Lajes important again and increase American funding and personnel investment on the island? Raise the specter of a severe Russian submarine menace that would need to be countered by American sub hunters based out of Lajes. Reinvestment in the island would bring with it a revitalized local economy, along with annual appropriated money for upkeep and expansion of the facility--a possible gateway to the construction of a larger permanent American listening post on the island, lessening the importance of the proposed JIAC at RAF Molesworth and increasing the probability that Lajes will remain a priority military facility for years to come.

    So who leaked the troop and asset movements, strategic planning, and other sensitive intel to Russia? They clearly were Portuguese or had Portuguese connections and clearly stood to benefit from Russian exploitation of the knowledge of NATO military tactics and operational priorities in some fashion.

    I will let everyone draw their own conclusions from the evidence, but I believe it is clear that Nunes, with his boner for Lajes (it should also be noted that he flies into Lajes regularly to vacation and visit family, I believe), collaborated with President Anibal Antonio Cavaco Silva of Portugal in order to provide Russia with highly-sensitive NATO intelligence that would allow Putin to anticipate the levels of opposition among NATO members and degree of possible retaliation were Russia to preempt Ukrainian efforts at NATO membership by invading strategic portions of the country--the Crimean incursion occurred a matter of mere months after connections were established between the FSB and their Portuguese asset. Additionally, the information allowed them to expand Atlantic naval operations which was mutually-beneficial: Nunes/Portugal had a case for the expansion of American forces at Lajes to combat the Russian sub threat, while Russia could play upon this and use it as a diversionary tactic to spread American forces thin and draw them away from Eastern European bases towards the Azores, which would alleviate pressure on him and allow for the continued expansion of the Russian diaspora.

    That said, I think that is why Nunes is shitting his pants about this: he had an established relationship with Russia via Portugal before Trump even announced a Presidential run, and may possibly have served as an asset in back-channel communications with Putin and the FSB. In any event, Russia would certainly have SIGNIFICANT kompromat on Nunes, and they could be using this as leverage against him to force him into providing continued insider assistance to Trump in order to prop up the Trump regime as long as possible. I am convinced Nunes is very aware of how bad the optics of his actions are, but given that he has Putin lurking over his shoulder with a bag of evidence that Nunes committed treason against the United States to save his fucking stupid pet project, I think this is what is driving his insane, obvious, and flurried attempts at deflection and diversion.

    That said, I do think we should maintain some level of forces at Lajes for the sole purpose of strategically blocking China's attempt at projecting influence in the Atlantic area, the one place on Earth where it has made no real inroads.

    Again however, fuck Nunes. He is a rat, he is compromised, and he will be going to prison for the high crime of espionage.


    TL;DR:
    Nunes has personal/family connections to the Portuguese Island of Lajes, which was very dependent on the US military base for their economy during the Cold War.

    As the base fell out of use over the past 20 years, Nunes tried unsuccessfully to pass funding bills and get projects allocated to the island to help boost their economy.

    In 2011-12, Russian sub activity increased in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, possibly after someone leaked info to them about NATO tactics and defenses.

    There is speculation that Nunes, along with some pro-Russian Portuguese, leaked this information in attempt to use the increased Russian sub activity into justify re-opening the base as a sub hunting base.

    So Russia has dirt on Nunes unrelated to Trump, and he could be in tons of trouble if it comes out that he was part of the leak.
    Posts with sources here.
    Last edited by Steckersaurus; May 11 2018 at 08:54:27 PM.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •