hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2760 of 2787 FirstFirst ... 1760226026602710275027572758275927602761276227632770 ... LastLast
Results 55,181 to 55,200 of 55726

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #55181
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

    No, not at all.

    I had other FHClers in mind, when I wrote that. And other insults, those sexual/anal flavored ones.

    And to give everyone a perspective: I encourage everyone to crawl thru my 4000+ posts and count the personal insults I directly aimed at a FHC posters individually*). I'd be suprised, if that number is double digit.

    *) I know I've thrown out insults to certain groups, e.g. religious people, so naturally if a FHC member is/considers himself to be part of that group, I obviously insulted him, too.
    It's probably a cultural thing but insults aren't necessarily personal and instead are used to add colour, humour or scenario specific context to a particular point, eg in a BMI discussion calling you a fatty isn't me calling you fat, it's a reference to the subject matter and is used to frame the context of my comments.

    It's a wonder British comedy is so popular in Germany.
    This is true, but at the same time i think it's hard to argue against the view that actual insults are used extremely often and freely on FHC (and most places online in fairness) so he's not wrong.
    This.

    Some folks try to hide their actual, real hatred of other FHC posters behind "Oh, derp, just joking, don't be so sensitive" bullshit.

    On this point, I have to give respect to Isy. He doesn't shit around, he expresses his seething hatreds openly and without any semblance of social graces or faux civility.


  2. #55182
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    ......as opposed to being a slave assuming it's working for them......
    Literal slaves!


  3. #55183
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    17,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    ......as opposed to being a slave assuming it's working for them......
    Literal slaves!
    Slavery with extra steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  4. #55184
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    ......as opposed to being a slave assuming it's working for them......
    Literal slaves!
    Slavery with extra steps.
    Comfortable tho, for some of us.

    Got mine, fuck you, etc.


  5. #55185
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    17,097
    Interesting how the case for capitalism shifts from 'liberty' to 'comfort' in a short space of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  6. #55186
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Interesting how the case for capitalism shifts from 'liberty' to 'comfort' in a short space of time.
    My liberty is feeling pretty solid.

    Got mine, fuck you, etc.

    P.S. Liberty is supposed to come from Capitalism? Huh, who knew. I always thought it was Government who provided protections for (or infringed upon) "muh liberty".
    Last edited by Alistair; November 9 2018 at 04:09:21 PM.


  7. #55187

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    5,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Interesting how the case for capitalism shifts from 'liberty' to 'comfort' in a short space of time.
    My liberty is feeling pretty solid.

    Got mine, fuck you, etc.

    P.S. Liberty is supposed to come from Capitalism? Huh, who knew. I always thought it was Government who provided protections for (or infringed upon) "muh liberty".
    I thought the American system was based on assuming that liberty was down to the individual to sort out and the government was just banned from passing laws that infringe upon it?

  8. #55188
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Interesting how the case for capitalism shifts from 'liberty' to 'comfort' in a short space of time.
    My liberty is feeling pretty solid.

    Got mine, fuck you, etc.

    P.S. Liberty is supposed to come from Capitalism? Huh, who knew. I always thought it was Government who provided protections for (or infringed upon) "muh liberty".
    I thought the American system was based on assuming that liberty was down to the individual to sort out and the government was just banned from passing laws that infringe upon it?
    What you do with your liberty is up to you, but I do think there are certain expectations on the government to guarantee parts of it, with force, if necessary.
    meh

  9. #55189

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

    No, not at all.

    I had other FHClers in mind, when I wrote that. And other insults, those sexual/anal flavored ones.

    And to give everyone a perspective: I encourage everyone to crawl thru my 4000+ posts and count the personal insults I directly aimed at a FHC posters individually*). I'd be suprised, if that number is double digit.

    *) I know I've thrown out insults to certain groups, e.g. religious people, so naturally if a FHC member is/considers himself to be part of that group, I obviously insulted him, too.
    It's probably a cultural thing but insults aren't necessarily personal and instead are used to add colour, humour or scenario specific context to a particular point, eg in a BMI discussion calling you a fatty isn't me calling you fat, it's a reference to the subject matter and is used to frame the context of my comments.
    We do the same, As a matter of fact, one of my best friends, who actually is a fatty - imagine the two of us like Laurel & Hardy, often calls me "Dicker" (=fatty). Also "Zottel", which I don't know a fitting Englsih translation for. Something like "Hairy/shaggy one", referencing my long hairs.

    But adding e.g. "you fucking cunt" after each disagreeing statement, doesn't add any color, humor nor scenario specific context, as far as I'm concerned.

  10. #55190
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

    No, not at all.

    I had other FHClers in mind, when I wrote that. And other insults, those sexual/anal flavored ones.

    And to give everyone a perspective: I encourage everyone to crawl thru my 4000+ posts and count the personal insults I directly aimed at a FHC posters individually*). I'd be suprised, if that number is double digit.

    *) I know I've thrown out insults to certain groups, e.g. religious people, so naturally if a FHC member is/considers himself to be part of that group, I obviously insulted him, too.
    It's probably a cultural thing but insults aren't necessarily personal and instead are used to add colour, humour or scenario specific context to a particular point, eg in a BMI discussion calling you a fatty isn't me calling you fat, it's a reference to the subject matter and is used to frame the context of my comments.
    We do the same, As a matter of fact, one of my best friends, who actually is a fatty - imagine the two of us like Laurel & Hardy, often calls me "Dicker" (=fatty). Also "Zottel", which I don't know a fitting Englsih translation for. Something like "Hairy/shaggy one", referencing my long hairs.

    But adding e.g. "you fucking cunt" after each disagreeing statement, doesn't add any color, humor nor scenario specific context, as far as I'm concerned.
    I just want to point out that in most of the english speaking world, in terms of the ones that where colonies and not america, "You cunt" is a term of endearment, or could be.

    Maybe not in Canukistan or kiwiland, but the rest of us certainly use it that way.

    I'm not saying thats what people on the forum are saying though.
    meh

  11. #55191
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,533
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

    No, not at all.

    I had other FHClers in mind, when I wrote that. And other insults, those sexual/anal flavored ones.

    And to give everyone a perspective: I encourage everyone to crawl thru my 4000+ posts and count the personal insults I directly aimed at a FHC posters individually*). I'd be suprised, if that number is double digit.

    *) I know I've thrown out insults to certain groups, e.g. religious people, so naturally if a FHC member is/considers himself to be part of that group, I obviously insulted him, too.
    It's probably a cultural thing but insults aren't necessarily personal and instead are used to add colour, humour or scenario specific context to a particular point, eg in a BMI discussion calling you a fatty isn't me calling you fat, it's a reference to the subject matter and is used to frame the context of my comments.
    We do the same, As a matter of fact, one of my best friends, who actually is a fatty - imagine the two of us like Laurel & Hardy, often calls me "Dicker" (=fatty). Also "Zottel", which I don't know a fitting Englsih translation for. Something like "Hairy/shaggy one", referencing my long hairs.

    But adding e.g. "you fucking cunt" after each disagreeing statement, doesn't add any color, humor nor scenario specific context, as far as I'm concerned.
    I just want to point out that in most of the english speaking world, in terms of the ones that where colonies and not america, "You cunt" is a term of endearment, or could be.

    Maybe not in Canukistan or kiwiland, but the rest of us certainly use it that way.

    I'm not saying thats what people on the forum are saying though.
    Speak for yourself mate, the whole "cunt this and cunt that" is not a commonplace occurrence here in the U.S.


  12. #55192
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post

    No, not at all.

    I had other FHClers in mind, when I wrote that. And other insults, those sexual/anal flavored ones.

    And to give everyone a perspective: I encourage everyone to crawl thru my 4000+ posts and count the personal insults I directly aimed at a FHC posters individually*). I'd be suprised, if that number is double digit.

    *) I know I've thrown out insults to certain groups, e.g. religious people, so naturally if a FHC member is/considers himself to be part of that group, I obviously insulted him, too.
    It's probably a cultural thing but insults aren't necessarily personal and instead are used to add colour, humour or scenario specific context to a particular point, eg in a BMI discussion calling you a fatty isn't me calling you fat, it's a reference to the subject matter and is used to frame the context of my comments.
    We do the same, As a matter of fact, one of my best friends, who actually is a fatty - imagine the two of us like Laurel & Hardy, often calls me "Dicker" (=fatty). Also "Zottel", which I don't know a fitting Englsih translation for. Something like "Hairy/shaggy one", referencing my long hairs.

    But adding e.g. "you fucking cunt" after each disagreeing statement, doesn't add any color, humor nor scenario specific context, as far as I'm concerned.
    I just want to point out that in most of the english speaking world, in terms of the ones that where colonies and not america, "You cunt" is a term of endearment, or could be.

    Maybe not in Canukistan or kiwiland, but the rest of us certainly use it that way.

    I'm not saying thats what people on the forum are saying though.
    Speak for yourself mate, the whole "cunt this and cunt that" is not a commonplace occurrence here in the U.S.
    No, it's highly effective here. Also, me an my besty who's coming to visit for Thanksgiving (and Fleetwood Mac!) are going to have to watch ourselves around my American Mom this Turkey Day.
    meh

  13. #55193
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,160
    i don't think we needed to be reminded that american's national attitude to guns is tragic, but just to really really drive it home - one of the guys who died in cali was a survivor from the las vegas shooting

    like fucking hell

  14. #55194
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,486
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Interesting how the case for capitalism shifts from 'liberty' to 'comfort' in a short space of time.
    My liberty is feeling pretty solid.

    Got mine, fuck you, etc.

    P.S. Liberty is supposed to come from Capitalism? Huh, who knew. I always thought it was Government who provided protections for (or infringed upon) "muh liberty".
    I thought the American system was based on assuming that liberty was down to the individual to sort out and the government was just banned from passing laws that infringe upon it?
    What you do with your liberty is up to you, but I do think there are certain expectations on the government to guarantee parts of it, with force, if necessary.
    Unacceptable. Any government that uses any kind of force is inherently infringing on someone's free expression (that is, my freedom to oppress others). Which is why we need to eliminate all forms of government (or at least, all forms that do not promote my narrow world view). /s
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  15. #55195
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Interesting how the case for capitalism shifts from 'liberty' to 'comfort' in a short space of time.
    My liberty is feeling pretty solid.

    Got mine, fuck you, etc.

    P.S. Liberty is supposed to come from Capitalism? Huh, who knew. I always thought it was Government who provided protections for (or infringed upon) "muh liberty".
    I thought the American system was based on assuming that liberty was down to the individual to sort out and the government was just banned from passing laws that infringe upon it?
    What you do with your liberty is up to you, but I do think there are certain expectations on the government to guarantee parts of it, with force, if necessary.
    Unacceptable. Any government that uses any kind of force is inherently infringing on someone's free expression (that is, my freedom to oppress others). Which is why we need to eliminate all forms of government (or at least, all forms that do not promote my narrow world view). /s
    Did someone mention strawman arguments, cause I feel like maybe they did....


  16. #55196
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,678
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    i don't think we needed to be reminded that american's national attitude to guns is tragic, but just to really really drive it home - one of the guys who died in cali was a survivor from the las vegas shooting

    like fucking hell
    I think having a 'gun culture' is possible in a society where people aren't desperately poor and insane people aren't walking the streets without treatment, like Switzerland.

    Unfortunately the USA is full of insane and desperately poor people who are allowed to own guns even if the system knows about their mental illness, which goes untreated because of how deeply corrupt the american health 'industry' is.

    American healthcare system will never be reformed though, the corruption will only deepen. So the crazies will go untreated. And the guns will never get banned or even have common sense legislation applied to them, because the bubba army and republican gun lobby is too strong. So the mass shootings will continue.

  17. #55197
    jimmychrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31, 2011
    Posts
    767
    When nothing happened after Sandy Hook I gave up on thinking there ever would be gun reform.

  18. #55198
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,533
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    When nothing happened after Sandy Hook I gave up on thinking there ever would be gun reform.
    I'd happily give in on almost all forms of gun control, revoke the 2nd, require training and licencing, insurance, bans for criminals and mentally ill, etc, etc, etc.

    As long as law abiding, trained, insured people (like hunters, or women with restraining orders against violent men) could still get what they want/need, I'm ok with the rest.

    Will it work? Has everywhere else, but nowhere has the sheet number of guns that the U.S. has in circulation. It would take time to get them all.

    But we should probably do that tbqh. The original intent of the 2nd is no longer feasible anyway, there will be no musket-totting revolution to overthrow the Feds. That time has passed.


  19. #55199

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    unsubbedville
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychrist View Post
    When nothing happened after Sandy Hook I gave up on thinking there ever would be gun reform.
    This 1000x

  20. #55200
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,533
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/n...ashington.html

    For those who love Ms. Cortez, have some more coverage.

    Apparently she's so poor after her pre-Congress bartender job, she cannot afford to rent in DC (not even Southeast? What about the burbs?) until her first congress check ($174K/year) comes in.

    It will be very interesting to see what her net worth is when she leaves congress, given how poor she is coming into congress.

    Is odd, I would have thought her BA in Econ. from Boston College might have gotten her a better gig than bartender.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •