hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2746 of 2784 FirstFirst ... 1746224626462696273627432744274527462747274827492756 ... LastLast
Results 54,901 to 54,920 of 55667

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Reminder that the US is still keeping migrant kids in cages.

How many years until the mass graves in the desert get discovered?
    I confidently believer that people subcontracted to do that are competent enough to leave no discoverable evidence.
    Same way the government definitely did 9/11 and is totally competent enough to keep it totally quite forever, huh?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Saw a report yesterday that over 32 million have voted early, and there were still several days left. In 2014, total early votes were 24 million.

My county has the highest turnout for early voting ever, so far.
    That is encouraging.

Simply comparing to 2014 is kinda blah. Turnout should look good compared to a year with historically poor participation. Now, if 2018 looks comparable to 2016, we'll be making some real progress.
    It's not 'blah' in the slightest. This is a midterm election. 2014 was the last midterm election. It's a like-for-like comparison.

It's only worth comparing against 2016 after the fact, if you are looking at percentage swings of Rep vs Dem: Where have areas that supported/opposed trump suddenly switched and why?
    "Look how much better we're doing compared to the time we did really shitty" just doesn't get my blood pumping. At the minimum, I want comparisons to 2010 and other midterms. 2014 was so bad that MD got a Republican governor (that we're likely to re-elect because the Democrats aren't really trying)
    Last edited by Steckersaurus; November 6 2018 at 03:49:48 PM.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Let's go people.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

Not voting in early voting smh

Quote Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Not voting in early voting smh
    I like to go to my in person voting place so I can get some of the homemade cupcakes and insult the shit out of, and make the Republicans standing there with their posters and stuff feel worthless.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Saw a report yesterday that over 32 million have voted early, and there were still several days left. In 2014, total early votes were 24 million.

My county has the highest turnout for early voting ever, so far.
    That is encouraging.

Simply comparing to 2014 is kinda blah. Turnout should look good compared to a year with historically poor participation. Now, if 2018 looks comparable to 2016, we'll be making some real progress.
    It's not 'blah' in the slightest. This is a midterm election. 2014 was the last midterm election. It's a like-for-like comparison.

It's only worth comparing against 2016 after the fact, if you are looking at percentage swings of Rep vs Dem: Where have areas that supported/opposed trump suddenly switched and why?
    "Look how much better we're doing compared to the time we did really shitty" just doesn't get my blood pumping. At the minimum, I want comparisons to 2010 and other midterms. 2014 was so bad that MD got a Republican governor (that we're likely to re-elect because the Democrats aren't really trying)
    If you don't consider a turnaround from really shitty to really good (resulting in a 700%+ increase in one area) significant, then you entered this conversation determined to be underwhelmed regardless.

What if the increase in voter turnout is actually due to Republicans stuffing the ballot boxes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    What if the increase in voter turnout is actually due to Republicans stuffing the ballot boxes
    Or just more energised racists?

https://eu.tennessean.com/story/news...se/1890446002/
    An analysis by the political data group TargetSmart shows that 98,000 people age 18 to 29 have voted early in the state, compared to 12,800 in 2014 — a more than seven-fold increase. The data includes early voters and absentee voters, as of Nov. 1.

Tennessee, one of the states with the lowest historic voter turnout, has been the subject this year of targeted get-out-the-vote efforts.

Perhaps one of the highest-profile calls to vote came from 28-year-old superstar Taylor Swift, who endorsed Democratic former Gov. Phil Bredesen in his Senate bid against Republican U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn.

At a rally in Chattanooga on Sunday for Blackburn, President Donald Trump also encouraged voters not to take anything for granted Tuesday and show up to vote.

But the reason for the boost in young voters is hard to pinpoint, experts said. This election is the first competitive statewide contest since 2006, and there has been more youth political activism following mass shootings. Also, Washington's turmoil has animated some voters.

The U.S. Senate campaign between Blackburn and Bredesen has become the most expensive in state history and the campaigns have also aggressively worked on get-out-the-vote efforts.

"The presence of two interesting statewide elections makes it a little hard to know whether the turnout increase is because of compelling statewide races or because of a desire to send a message in support of, or in opposition to, President Trump and the events of the last two years," Vanderbilt political science professor Joshua Clinton said by email.

Bredesen event: Bredesen laments political 'bloodsport' in last appeal to voters in Tennessee's Senate race

Nationally, nearly 3 million voters age 18 to 29 have voted early or absentee, compared to about 1 million in 2014, the voter data shows.

TargetSmart is a Democratic data firm. Its early voting data is based on information provided by the Tennessee Secretary of State.

While the 18- to 29-year-old age group saw a large boost in numbers, it still makes up just 7 percent of the early and absentee voters so far in Tennessee.

The other age groups also saw a boost. There were more than three times as many early and absentee voters age 30 and older in Tennessee, compared to the same time in 2014.

States with the largest increase in age 18-29 early voters
    Percent increase in the number of early voters in 2018 vs. 2014 general elections. Includes early and absentee voters.

ND — 2,475 percent
    WY — 2,104 percent
    VT — 1,087 percent
    WI — 758 percent
    TN — 664 percent
    UT — 520 percent
    NJ — 470 percent
    TX — 462 percent
    NV — 409 percent
    IN — 383 percent

You should want Dems to win if only to see who Trump blames other than himself.

The best Trump entertainment is when he's lashing out at his fellow GOPs, not the Demoncrats.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    You should want Dems to win if only to see who Trump blames other than himself.

The best Trump entertainment is when he's lashing out at his fellow GOPs, not the Demoncrats.

If you don't consider a turnaround from really shitty to really good (resulting in a 700%+ increase in one area) significant, then you entered this conversation determined to be underwhelmed regardless.
    Please learn to read and don't assume the worst just because someone disagrees with you. I want to see comparisons to more than 2014. Erich said highest early voting ever.

That is awesome.

That's what I want to see. Comparisons to 2014 feel like someone saying the Browns are doing so much better than last year. I want to see comparisons to 2010 when the right was energized like the left is now.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Please learn to read and don't assume the worst just because someone disagrees with you. I want to see comparisons to more than 2014. Erich said highest early voting ever.

That is awesome.

That's what I want to see. Comparisons to 2014 feel like someone saying the Browns are doing so much better than last year. I want to see comparisons to 2010 when the right was energized like the left is now.

Richard Cano, 67, has just voted for Cruz at the Putnam elementary school polling station in the West Side of El Paso, a better-off more conservative part of town. That he voted Republican is a sign of how entrenched politics can be in Texas, given that he is a huge fan of O’Rourke whom he has known personally since the Democratic candidate was a young boy.

“I love Beto to death. He’s a fine, fine person.”

So why not vote for his friend?

“He’s for open borders. I’m for closed borders and for sticking strictly to the constitution. I’m a Republican. That’s all there is to it.”
    Maricopa County, Arizona, has a history of staggering Election Day dysfunctions, but this was a new one even for them: a polling place that failed to open because the property went into foreclosure overnight.

Voters and poll workers who showed up on Tuesday morning at the Golf Academy of America building in Chandler, an affluent suburb southwest of Phoenix, found the premises padlocked and a foreclosure notice in the window.

Poll workers were as surprised as voters and were unable to access ballots and voting equipment that they had stored inside. Frustrated voters who had hoped to beat the rush by arriving at the polling station close to the 6 a.m. opening had no idea what they were supposed to do.

“I’ve got things to do. I can’t stand around all morning trying to find a place to vote,” Chandler resident Thomas Wood told a videographer for the Arizona Republic.

By 8:30 a.m., poll workers had set up a temporary polling station in the parking lot and were optimistic that they could obtain a court order allowing them access to the building before too much of the day elapsed.

You can only laugh.

'a polling place that failed to open because the property went into foreclosure overnight'

Pure, distilled American.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    'a polling place that failed to open because the property went into foreclosure overnight'

If you can't beat them, call in the loan they own you.

Laughs in capitalist...
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

If you can't beat them, call in the loan they own you.

Laughs in capitalist...
    https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...221187610.html

Looks like they got the polls open, but who knows how many people won’t vote because of the temporary closure. There aren’t usually too many people in a precinct...

Edit: meanwhile:

https://www.wral.com/nc-s-blue-moon-...-hot/17972210/

1 p.m.: Wake County elections director Gary Sims said problems with vote-counting machines are slowly subsiding as staff works to get fans into polling sites affected by high humidity.

About eight precincts are still affected, mainly in the northern part of the county, down from 15 or so earlier in the day, Sims said. Many have been at fire stations or in school gymnasiums, where it's hard to regulate the temperature and humidity, he said.

"The machines are actually very sensitive devices," Sims said of the 12-year-old tabulators. "If moisture hits the ballots, basically that causes the tabulators to say, 'Hey, I don't like this, and you need to do something else.'"

The county has set aside money in its capital improvement program to purchase new tabulators after this election, he said.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; November 6 2018 at 07:32:20 PM.

Please learn to read and don't assume the worst just because someone disagrees with you.

Just a handy reminder that we vote with pens here in the heart of Silicon Valley.

:thinking:
    meh

https://spectator.us/elissa-slotkin-michigan/

For instance, she’s declined to even take a position on the Michigan ballot initiative to legalize marijuana, one of the most straightforwardly popular positions that could conceivably be taken among the demographic (young voters, minorities,) she most needs to turn out. The calculus doesn’t even particularly make sense from a pure strategic standpoint, so one has to assume that these are her genuine values.

‘I don’t believe in Canadian-style healthcare,’ Slotkin declared at one of her debates with incumbent GOP Rep. Mike Bishop. She has also repeatedly pledged not to back Nancy Pelosi for Speaker, as if this will assuage anyone who was already predisposed to resent the Democratic party’s ideological direction.
    Biggest problem with the blue wave is if it reaffirms the idea that Dems with middling views have appeal.

Someone should inform them that the year is 2018, not 1998. Scary weed and scary govt healthcare have lost their power as memes with the electorate. You no longer need to pretend to be a conservative in these two areas