hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2466 of 2788 FirstFirst ... 146619662366241624562463246424652466246724682469247625162566 ... LastLast
Results 49,301 to 49,320 of 55744

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Name another country in the world where up to 5% of the people living their are not citizens.
    Latvia
    The next vacation spot for T-72s
    Gotta dismantle NATO first though.
    You're doing great. Just give it couple more years.

Wow hadn't read this in a few days, Alistair's "secret" rage boner towards the immigration situation is hilarious.

The parties will toy with these people as they always have, but I've seen a lot of movement to bring this to bear on both groups, though obviously this falls really heavy on the Republicans at the moment, as full of open disdain for immigrants as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post

Nah, like Alistair, they've got theirs, and those immigrants can just go fuck themselves.

And don't you laugh.

You can pick on Alistair all you like, but I wager that well more than half of America thinks that way. They really don't give a shit. They won't say it out loud, or even when they do, they won't do it to people like us, but that is exactly where they stand.

What we're seeing here with this zero-tolerance policy debacle is, I think, actually exactly what at least half of Americans want to see happening. That's why they voted for Trump, and even if they didn't, they still agree with it on principle. Remember that this is just the application of laws that came from the hill, and that have been on the books like that for quite some time. It is just that common decency, and even a modicum of human-dignity has prevented prior governments from actually applying them as they were written. But with Trump: no more.

And I wager at least half of America likes it that way.
    The mindset is more than "we've got ours"

Former close friend I was talking to basically shrugged at all of this news. "Where were all these outraged people when my friends were ODing on pills and heroin?"

Fascist movements are really good at harnessing people's rage.
    Wait is that really the argument? I'm guessing there would have been some outrage if the government was on the side of the drug dealers rather than I dont know trying to stop them? What's to be outraged about? Drug dealers or that their friends were idiots that got caught up in it all?

I love when dumb people try to justify their inability to think critically.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    USA out of ONU's human rights council.
    Alistair likes this
    It's appropriate, actually. The US systematically violates human rights, both in prisons and in the use of torture. We don't deserve to be on the HRC. Neither do some of the other countries, like Saudi Arabia. Leaving just shows the world what we are: a country that doesn't value human rights.

Of course I'd rather we weren't that sort of country, and could deserve a spot on the council. Sadly we're not. We're a country that tortures people, including children.

Nah, like Alistair, they've got theirs, and those immigrants can just go fuck themselves.

And don't you laugh.

You can pick on Alistair all you like, but I wager that well more than half of America thinks that way. They really don't give a shit. They won't say it out loud, or even when they do, they won't do it to people like us, but that is exactly where they stand.

What we're seeing here with this zero-tolerance policy debacle is, I think, actually exactly what at least half of Americans want to see happening. That's why they voted for Trump, and even if they didn't, they still agree with it on principle. Remember that this is just the application of laws that came from the hill, and that have been on the books like that for quite some time. It is just that common decency, and even a modicum of human-dignity has prevented prior governments from actually applying them as they were written. But with Trump: no more.

Former close friend I was talking to basically shrugged at all of this news. "Where were all these outraged people when my friends were ODing on pills and heroin?"

Oh, yes, there's more to it than just "I've got mine jack", but the example you gave of your friend is basically "Their problems? What about my problems?", which is just another version of same, if you ask me.

But I think the point I made still stands: sure, a lot of people in the US are outraged by this, and all the other things Trump is doing. But the (mostly) silent majority in the US still support all that, and Trump most of the time. Unlike Alistair they won't tell you that, and they won't tell that to the pollsters, or on TV either.

Even most of the GOP senators and congressmen only tell you that now because they fear the midterms, but really, if they were in so much disagreements, why did they support those harsh laws in the first place. And why did they obstruct any and all progress on immigration when Obama was in the white house? Even to the point of voting against their own proposals, like Marco Rubio etc. did! The GOP as a party has been absolutely feckless on this issue for decades.

Sure, Trump created this, and he can stop it with a flick of the pen. And, sure, he's taking those children hostage so as to get money for his wall. And, sure, he's evading his responsibilities, and tries to blame it all on the Democrats. But what he's really doing is exactly the GOP has been secretly advocating to do with all their dogwhistle politics. Only he doesn't give a shit how bad it makes him look (he's too stupid for that), and enacts the GOP's wetdream policy right in your face. Knowing full well that his base is with him on this, even if the electorate won't be with the GOP in the midterm elections.

He may be as dumb as a rock, but he did, at least, uncover the GOP for what they really are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Maybe if illegals weren't the primary source of labor in the agricultural industry Americans would finally understand how much food should cost. Same with housing.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Maybe if illegals weren't the primary source of labor in the agricultural industry Americans would finally understand how much food should cost. Same with housing.
    Add gasoline, etc, etc. Problem is we've trained generations of entitled pussies who think all this shit should be theirs with no cost, other than turning a blind eye to how many people we bomb and fuck over to maintain this hegemony.
    meh

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    something something tipping industry something something

hard truths itt

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Wow hadn't read this in a few days, Alistair's "secret" rage boner towards the immigration situation is hilarious.
    Quoting CNN, the new "Hate Boner". You're right, that IS funny.

But lets be clear, fiery rhetoric or not, what the Trump Administration is doing re: Family Separation is wrong. Period, full stop.

We can debate the issue of immigration and illegal immigration and agree to disagree on certain aspects of it, what the levels should be (and why), what enforcement mechanics should be employed (and against whom), etc.

I don't see the Family Separation policy as one that should be debated, it's needlessly cruel, and it should be ended immediately.

In before the usual usual etc.

Bart,

I don't agree that the silent majority of Americans support this, that is just your own bias, and is not supported by polls or evidence. Polls show most republicans support it so far.

As to current republicans passing harsh laws in the first place, there are no new laws, this is the result of an enforcement decision.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post

And don't you laugh.

Wait is that really the argument? I'm guessing there would have been some outrage if the government was on the side of the drug dealers rather than I dont know trying to stop them?
    Considering that some of the drug dealers were pharmaceutical giants and the govt has historically given a free pass to such companies... yeah?

What's to be outraged about? Drug dealers or that their friends were idiots that got caught up in it all?

I love when dumb people try to justify their inability to think critically.
    Yes the 0 empathy "idiots get what they deserve" path has always worked wonders in solving an addiction crisis

Oh, yes, there's more to it than just "I've got mine jack", but the example you gave of your friend is basically "Their problems? What about my problems?", which is just another version of same, if you ask me.

But I think the point I made still stands: sure, a lot of people in the US are outraged by this, and all the other things Trump is doing. But the (mostly) silent majority in the US still support all that, and Trump most of the time. Unlike Alistair they won't tell you that, and they won't tell that to the pollsters, or on TV either.

Even most of the GOP senators and congressmen only tell you that now because they fear the midterms, but really, if they were in so much disagreements, why did they support those harsh laws in the first place. And why did they obstruct any and all progress on immigration when Obama was in the white house? Even to the point of voting against their own proposals, like Marco Rubio etc. did! The GOP as a party has been absolutely feckless on this issue for decades.

Sure, Trump created this, and he can stop it with a flick of the pen. And, sure, he's taking those children hostage so as to get money for his wall. And, sure, he's evading his responsibilities, and tries to blame it all on the Democrats. But what he's really doing is exactly the GOP has been secretly advocating to do with all their dogwhistle politics. Only he doesn't give a shit how bad it makes him look (he's too stupid for that), and enacts the GOP's wetdream policy right in your face. Knowing full well that his base is with him on this, even if the electorate won't be with the GOP in the midterm elections.

He may be as dumb as a rock, but he did, at least, uncover the GOP for what they really are.
    Yes but you get this kind of vindictive mindset when you have government that isn't responsive to those problems. The irony is that Trump rode the red tide of the GOP, who have more guilt in this area than the Dems

Though it's clear the GOP has lost control of their dog whistle. Now the President of the United States is openly referring to migrant workers as an infestation and this has a horrible chance of being normalized just like the Patriot Act and the terror AUMF were
    Last edited by mewninn; June 20 2018 at 05:44:49 PM.

“Tender Age Shelters”

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    “Tender Age Shelters”

Sounds like a veal farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    “Tender Age Shelters”

Sounds like a veal farm.
    I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricasie, or a ragoust.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I wonder how many of these children have been shipped off to high ranking republican basements

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    I wonder how many of these children have been shipped off to high ranking republican basements
    Given your sexual proclivities toward pillows bearing images of stylized childlike anime characters, perhaps you're not quite the best representative to be making such a comment.

Trump apparently signed to end child camps today? Details on what the actual new rules will be is still not clear.

edit: I heard it on BBC World news a few mins ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowa [NSN] View Post
    Trump apparently signed to end child camps today? Details on what the actual new rules will be is still not clear.

edit: I heard it on BBC World news a few mins ago.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44552852

US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order promising to "keep families together", but migrants will still be detained at the border.

The president reversed his own policy amid fury over the separation of migrant families at the US border.

He said he had been swayed by images of children who had been taken from parents while they are jailed and prosecuted for illegal border-crossing.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Steve Schmidt, John McCain's 2008 campaign manager: https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/...25245637976064

29 years and nine months ago I registered to vote and became a member of The Republican Party which was founded in 1854 to oppose slavery and stand for the dignity of human life. Today I renounce my membership in the Republican Party. It is fully the party of Trump.

It is corrupt, indecent and immoral. With the exception of a few Governors like Baker, Hogan and Kasich it is filled with feckless cowards who disgrace and dishonor the legacies of the party’s greatest leaders. This child separation policy is connected to the worst abuses of Humanity in our history. It is connected by the same evil that separated families during slavery and dislocated tribes and broke up Native American families. It is immoral and must be repudiated. Our country is in trouble. Our politics are badly broken. The first step to a Season of renewal in our land is the absolute and utter repudiation of Trump and his vile enablers in the 2018 election by electing Democratic majorities. I do not say this as an advocate of a progressive agenda. I say it as someone who retains belief in DEMOCRACY and decency. On Ronald Reagan’s grave are these words. "I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life." He would be ashamed of McConnell and Ryan and all the rest while this corrupt government Establishes internment camps for babies. Everyone of these complicit leaders will carry this shame through history. There legacies will be ones of well earned ignominy. They have disgraced their country and brought dishonor to the Party of Lincoln. I have spent much of my life working in GOP politics. I have always believed that both parties were two of the most important institutions to the advancement of human freedom and dignity in the history of the world. Today the GOP has become a danger to our democracy and values.

This Independent voter will be aligned with the only party left in America that stands for what is right and decent and remains fidelitous to our Republic, objective truth, the rule of law and our Allies. That party is the Democratic Party.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...