hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2755 of 2772 FirstFirst ... 1755225526552705274527522753275427552756275727582765 ... LastLast
Results 55,081 to 55,100 of 55431

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    She certainly says very popular (if exceedingly simplistic) things to-date, but she clearly has no idea whatsoever how those things can actually be made real or how Government would/could do it in practical application or in legislation.

I wish her luck. She's going to need it now that she is an actual Congressperson, and not just a candidate.

#Beto/Ortez2020
    Well you can keep electing lawyers who are trained to understand how government works and how policy is made. . . but there seems to be a bit of a backlash against that.

She'll learn. And she'll probably change/break down a few norms in the process.
    Those gravy train days for lawyers are over, I'm afraid. The populace wants something new. This is quite clear from Trump and other voting patterns.

I think figuring out how to have a good twitch stream in your late teens, and then community documentations/reality TV in more traditional media to build name recognition is going to be the new norm.

You guys are going to have to take consultants fees/get image consultants for a bit.
    Meh, private practice will be more profitable for 99% of cases, so we can do without them tbh lol

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    We have actual news here.

Sessions resigned on Trump's request.

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1060257377780408321

Sessions's chief of staff is taking over as AG.

I can bet that by the time new Congress forms there will be so little traces of Muller investigation left that CSI Las Vegas won't be able to find them.
    That seems improbable. It would be a brave acting attorney general who wraps up an ongoing investigation on the say so of a party who materially benefitted from the actions being investigated.

OTOH getting a better majority in the Senate makes confirmation easier / losing the house makes Impeachment plausible (but extremely unlikely).
    What if the attorney doesn't give a shit about "ethics" or "shame" or "appearances" or traditional norms and just does it?
    Then unlike alot of the other political hot air, there would in fact be a legitimate cause for Impeachment.

One I would support ftr.
    Last edited by Alistair; November 7 2018 at 09:03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    The Democrats can just call Mueller/etc. to committee to tell all if they want to.

Sessions gave up a safe Senate seat to get shit on by Trump for 18 months. LOL.
    He also got to do a whole lotta racist shit while heading up the justice department (going after marijuana users again, fucking with immigration and asylum seekers), and (mostly) got away with it because Trump kept all the attention on himself. I don't think he's too upset.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

I can bet that by the time new Congress forms there will be so little traces of Muller investigation left that CSI Las Vegas won't be able to find them.
    That seems improbable. It would be a brave acting attorney general who wraps up an ongoing investigation on the say so of a party who materially benefitted from the actions being investigated.

OTOH getting a better majority in the Senate makes confirmation easier / losing the house makes Impeachment plausible (but extremely unlikely).
    What if the attorney doesn't give a shit about "ethics" or "shame" or "appearances" or traditional norms and just does it?
    Then unlike alot of the other political hot air, there would in fact be a legitimate cause for Impeachment.

One I would support ftr.
    Emoluments clause doesn’t matter, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    She certainly says very popular (if exceedingly simplistic) things to-date, but she clearly has no idea whatsoever how those things can actually be made real or how Government would/could do it in practical application or in legislation.

I wish her luck. She's going to need it now that she is an actual Congressperson, and not just a candidate.

#Beto/Ortez2020
    Well you can keep electing lawyers who are trained to understand how government works and how policy is made. . . but there seems to be a bit of a backlash against that.

Those gravy train days for lawyers are over, I'm afraid. The populace wants something new. This is quite clear from Trump and other voting patterns.

I think figuring out how to have a good twitch stream in your late teens, and then community documentations/reality TV in more traditional media to build name recognition is going to be the new norm.

You guys are going to have to take consultants fees/get image consultants for a bit.
    Meh, private practice will be more profitable for 99% of cases, so we can do without them tbh lol
    We're talking more about the path to public service, and eventually, political power.

The private path will always be quicker money. Politics is one of those dues games, in a way, as far as I can see.
    meh

#Beto/Ortez2020

We're talking more about the path to public service, and eventually, political power.

The private path will always be quicker money. Politics is one of those dues games, in a way, as far as I can see.
    Well for the 20-odd lawyers that seek to walk that path and have the ability to complete it, i'm sure they'll care a lot.

#Beto/Ortez2020

Well for the 20-odd lawyers that seek to walk that path and have the ability to complete it, i'm sure they'll care a lot.
    Quite a lot more than 20 lawyers where trying to start or continue that path yesterday.
    meh

#Beto/Ortez2020

Quite a lot more than 20 lawyers where trying to start or continue that path yesterday.
    Note my latter point: most lawyers know they have too many skeletons to even be considered for high office, at least in the UK. I would imagine itís similar for the US.

Aside from a few bright spots ( FU Scott Walker, gogo my old state of MN toanme a few ) I can't seem to shake a feeling of anger, dread, and fear after this 'win'.

I have a feeling that the Dem controlled house will just end up being the perfect foil for what looks to be a perennially Republican Senate, listening to that lizard McConnell talk about bipartisanship this morning was almost enough to make me vomit.

Maybe it's time to let the dog catch the damn car; perhaps things will change when these crooks take an axe to SS and Medicare to cover their tax cut for the 1%, or when Cletus has to decide whether to buy groceries or insulin b/c his type 2 diabetes isn't covered by Trumpcare.

And worst of all it seems like the jockeying for 2020 is already starting.

One I would support ftr.
    Emoluments clause doesn’t matter, eh?
    In terms of Impeachment? No, I don't think so.

But I'd be open to the Courts looking at it and providing guidance.

One I would support ftr.
    What if the GOP senate also lacked shame, ethics or concern for traditional norms and refused to impeach no matter what?

(Hahahah "if"! Get it? "if" they lacked shame?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Jeff Sessions just resigned on the request of Trump.

Is trump gonna fire Mueller or why is it going down?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.5ab26d173c90

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post

welcome to the last page or two

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post

welcome to the last page or two
    Oh sorry, did check a page back but im sleepy

One I would support ftr.
    What if the GOP senate also lacked shame, ethics or concern for traditional norms and refused to impeach no matter what?

(Hahahah "if"! Get it? "if" they lacked shame?)
    Well, seems like they (Dems) might then have some good grist to run on in 2020.

Your next "what if..." is of course what if the people don't vote for Dems. In which case a bad thing is gotten away with.

I surprised it didn't include a spicy pepe.
    meh

Oh hey.

https://act.moveon.org/event/mueller...events/search/

Someone pulled the fire alarm. Gonna be interesting to see how many people turn out.

Oh hey.

Someone pulled the fire alarm. Gonna be interesting to see how many people turn out.
    wut? Did Ros get fired? Or are they acting because they think he's being replaced with [bootlicker whose name I forgot] and think that should qualify for panic?

I mean, maybe it should, I'm just... not as fussed yet. The fact that the Dems won the house means we'll get our investigation, in one form or another.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Oh hey.

wut? Did Ros get fired? Or are they acting because they think he's being replaced with [bootlicker whose name I forgot] and think that should qualify for panic?

I mean, maybe it should, I'm just... not as fussed yet. The fact that the Dems won the house means we'll get our investigation, in one form or another.
    Rosenstein is no longer in charge of Mueller investigation, acting AG Whitaker is. I think MoveOn.org might be trying to capitalize on the post-election energy. It is likely that Trump will try to end the Mueller investigation around Thanksgiving/Christmas/NewYear when people are paying less attention.

Not sure about Trump's strategy on this one (if there's one). With the rumours of his son, Don Jr. being about to be indicted, he may try to short-circuit this with a new AG (who, I assume, must approve the indictment). However, I would not be surprised if the indictment was already issued and signed off by Rosenstein, but remained under seal.

I am sure that was long anticipated by Mueller, would be interesting how it would play out. If Mueller is fired, will will likely get re-appointed by the Democratic House as a special investigator and then invited to testify in an open hearing by the House Intel Committee.

Edit: Upon further review, yes, new AG can refuse the request for an indictment and even dismiss criminal cases. However, if the sealed indictment was already issued, he cannot dismiss it, nor can he prevent Mueller from unsealing any sealed indictment, because Mueller is not in charge of them anymore, the Judge Beryl Howell is.

So we are barreling toward a constitutional crisis.

P.S. If Whitaker will try to interfere, House Judiciary Committee will simply issue a subpoena to Mueller and force him to tell everything Whitaker orders him to do. Then they will subpoena Whitaker.
    Last edited by Don Rumata; November 8 2018 at 03:16:06 AM.