hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2741 of 2772 FirstFirst ... 1741224126412691273127382739274027412742274327442751 ... LastLast
Results 54,801 to 54,820 of 55431

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #54801
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    5,092
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    More like Breitbart realized they had their own pet army of socially retarded young white males and got Milo to jumpstart Gamergate

    We're /still/ dealing with the idiot fallout years later
    Anita is a attention seeking lying whore and entire world mainstream left and center should not have stood behind her in lockstep. It was when everyone was first standing up to support poor victim Anita that "gamers" started expanding their hate to all feminists and to all liberals.

    But talking about sexism in games was much safer thing to talk about than unresolved issues of 2008 crisis or Arab Spring bringing only chaos, civil wars and terrorism instead of democracy nor any other actual major issues that mainstream politics should have been handling in 2013, 2014 period.

    And yes games were and are sexist because to AAA producers white basement dwellers with disposable income were the target demographic.
    anita hasn't been relevant in 5 years and the only thing she's guilty of is mild hyperbole to get clicks, the rest of her series on games was fine

    the fact that years later people like you still sperge out about her just proves how successful right-wing media were in co-opting "gamers"

  2. #54802
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    the fuck is a nerdzerker anyway?

    And why is it wearing clown makeup?

    Wait. Wizards of the Coast. Is this guy pissed that females get to roll on the same height table in D&D now or something equally retarded?

    Antifa should put him out of his misery.
    Without investigation, I suspect that he's one of those shitlers who think that nerd activities like video games, RPGs, etc. "belong" to chubby white cis-het geeks and any intrusion by or visibility of brown people, women, LGBT community, etc is an intrusion on "their" culture and anyway it's only happened because of "pandering" by the publishers (because the only TRUE gamers are chubby white cis-het male geeks, anyone else is just taking) and/or unfair pressure by feminist/sjw/liberal censors.
    Gamers are the most oppressed class

      Spoiler:
    GAMERS RISE UP
    They have risen. #gamergate, overall activity of Anon in recent years, hundreds of "rational critics of feminist and SJW madness" on youtube. Gamers have risen and have given the world Trump.
    But they will still happily glaze themselves in whatever the gay game designers at EA and Activision decide to jizz their way...
    Yeah but they’ll organize to protest “unfair” loot box schemes that don’t let them play as Darth Vader quickly enough.

    Think capitalism is great, though.

  3. #54803
    dzajic's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15, 2011
    Posts
    3,369
    1. It is important because it was one of catalysts that lead to current events. Gamergate lead or helped MRA and RedPill which then synergized with nascent alt-right and brough us MAGA and Brexit.

    2. I'm at a loss of words that people where were there, on the internet, with access to how the entire bullshit started, aka you guys, will not just spit out MSM digests created after the fact and after the MSM and liberals apparently "won" that battle.

    3. Yes you can occupy multiple positions at the same time but no one is doing it. Gamergate received immensely disproportionate coverage by MSM than it deserved. And overall, 99% of what "left", "liberals" and "centrists" talk these days is only white knighting, virtue signaling and endless SJW-ing. Only reason silly old Bernie Sanders managed to get some traction on actual leftist issues was him promising to erase everyone's college debt. Without actually daring to touch why and how your beloved USA has come to such broken education system.

    Again, I will repeat my view, my opinion. Modern "left" in the liberal democracies is almost completely focused on PC and SJW issues and expect and demand of their voter base, who may have other interests and priorities, to support them on that. Socialist is still a dirty word in USA, and more or less in UK. So you can be whatever you want, except socialist. So if you want to oppose conservatives and neo fascists, only position left for you to take is advocacy of LGBTPQ+ rights, attacks on cis male hetero patriarchy, and support for poor innocent tolerant Muslims.

    And as long as this continues to be the case, Trumps and Brexits will continue to happen, and Hilllaries and Merkles will continue losing. If you negrep or block me it may make you feel better but it will not resolve the fundamental problems you guys have in your nice shiny developed countries.

  4. #54804
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    5,092
    You're unironically using the term SJW, so you're a moron anyway

  5. #54805
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    You're unironically using the term SJW, so you're a moron anyway
    I don’t think that his analysis of gamergate is really wrong... nor is his critique of the inadequacies of liberalism in the current moment.

    But you’re not wrong about the unironic SJW bit, either.

  6. #54806
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    14,552
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    1. It is important because it was one of catalysts that lead to current events. Gamergate lead or helped MRA and RedPill which then synergized with nascent alt-right and brough us MAGA and Brexit.

    2. I'm at a loss of words that people where were there, on the internet, with access to how the entire bullshit started, aka you guys, will not just spit out MSM digests created after the fact and after the MSM and liberals apparently "won" that battle.

    3. Yes you can occupy multiple positions at the same time but no one is doing it. Gamergate received immensely disproportionate coverage by MSM than it deserved. And overall, 99% of what "left", "liberals" and "centrists" talk these days is only white knighting, virtue signaling and endless SJW-ing. Only reason silly old Bernie Sanders managed to get some traction on actual leftist issues was him promising to erase everyone's college debt. Without actually daring to touch why and how your beloved USA has come to such broken education system.

    Again, I will repeat my view, my opinion. Modern "left" in the liberal democracies is almost completely focused on PC and SJW issues and expect and demand of their voter base, who may have other interests and priorities, to support them on that. Socialist is still a dirty word in USA, and more or less in UK. So you can be whatever you want, except socialist. So if you want to oppose conservatives and neo fascists, only position left for you to take is advocacy of LGBTPQ+ rights, attacks on cis male hetero patriarchy, and support for poor innocent tolerant Muslims.

    And as long as this continues to be the case, Trumps and Brexits will continue to happen, and Hilllaries and Merkles will continue losing. If you negrep or block me it may make you feel better but it will not resolve the fundamental problems you guys have in your nice shiny developed countries.
    So your prescription is what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  7. #54807
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    1. It is important because it was one of catalysts that lead to current events. Gamergate lead or helped MRA and RedPill which then synergized with nascent alt-right and brough us MAGA and Brexit.

    2. I'm at a loss of words that people where were there, on the internet, with access to how the entire bullshit started, aka you guys, will not just spit out MSM digests created after the fact and after the MSM and liberals apparently "won" that battle.

    3. Yes you can occupy multiple positions at the same time but no one is doing it. Gamergate received immensely disproportionate coverage by MSM than it deserved. And overall, 99% of what "left", "liberals" and "centrists" talk these days is only white knighting, virtue signaling and endless SJW-ing. Only reason silly old Bernie Sanders managed to get some traction on actual leftist issues was him promising to erase everyone's college debt. Without actually daring to touch why and how your beloved USA has come to such broken education system.

    Again, I will repeat my view, my opinion. Modern "left" in the liberal democracies is almost completely focused on PC and SJW issues and expect and demand of their voter base, who may have other interests and priorities, to support them on that. Socialist is still a dirty word in USA, and more or less in UK. So you can be whatever you want, except socialist. So if you want to oppose conservatives and neo fascists, only position left for you to take is advocacy of LGBTPQ+ rights, attacks on cis male hetero patriarchy, and support for poor innocent tolerant Muslims.

    And as long as this continues to be the case, Trumps and Brexits will continue to happen, and Hilllaries and Merkles will continue losing. If you negrep or block me it may make you feel better but it will not resolve the fundamental problems you guys have in your nice shiny developed countries.
    So your prescription is what?
    The first step is placing all the incels in camps. They’ve proven to be dangerous in the past, to themselves and others, poor things.
    meh

  8. #54808

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,455
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    1. It is important because it was one of catalysts that lead to current events. Gamergate lead or helped MRA and RedPill which then synergized with nascent alt-right and brough us MAGA and Brexit.
    Problem is your ass seems to think it's somehow part of the problem and the source for it, which it isn't.

    It just showed what a rotten bunch of cunts was there all along but not as loud.

    And if you wanted to pretend all of this didn't exist before that stuff, god i have some bad news for you. If anything it helped show exactly the calibre of entitled manchild we're dealing with and that it needs to be dealt with instead of constantly finding excuses and slinging shit at the left with even more "s. Which was sort of exactly the point in the first place, exposing it.

    Also congratulations, you dumb ass managed to change yet another conversation into being about "REEE SJWs". Which is exactly the fucking problem, yet you keep on doing it. Every single fucking time.
    Last edited by Isyel; November 4 2018 at 05:42:58 PM.

  9. #54809
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,650
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    1. It is important because it was one of catalysts that lead to current events. Gamergate lead or helped MRA and RedPill which then synergized with nascent alt-right and brough us MAGA and Brexit.

    2. I'm at a loss of words that people where were there, on the internet, with access to how the entire bullshit started, aka you guys, will not just spit out MSM digests created after the fact and after the MSM and liberals apparently "won" that battle.

    3. Yes you can occupy multiple positions at the same time but no one is doing it. Gamergate received immensely disproportionate coverage by MSM than it deserved. And overall, 99% of what "left", "liberals" and "centrists" talk these days is only white knighting, virtue signaling and endless SJW-ing. Only reason silly old Bernie Sanders managed to get some traction on actual leftist issues was him promising to erase everyone's college debt. Without actually daring to touch why and how your beloved USA has come to such broken education system.

    Again, I will repeat my view, my opinion. Modern "left" in the liberal democracies is almost completely focused on PC and SJW issues and expect and demand of their voter base, who may have other interests and priorities, to support them on that. Socialist is still a dirty word in USA, and more or less in UK. So you can be whatever you want, except socialist. So if you want to oppose conservatives and neo fascists, only position left for you to take is advocacy of LGBTPQ+ rights, attacks on cis male hetero patriarchy, and support for poor innocent tolerant Muslims.

    And as long as this continues to be the case, Trumps and Brexits will continue to happen, and Hilllaries and Merkles will continue losing. If you negrep or block me it may make you feel better but it will not resolve the fundamental problems you guys have in your nice shiny developed countries.
    So your prescription is what?
    The first step is placing all the incels in camps. They’ve proven to be dangerous in the past, to themselves and others, poor things.
    Could always turn them into animals if they don't find a girlfriend

      Spoiler:

  10. #54810
    Smarnca's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30, 2013
    Location
    SVN
    Posts
    9,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    1. It is important because it was one of catalysts that lead to current events. Gamergate lead or helped MRA and RedPill which then synergized with nascent alt-right and brough us MAGA and Brexit.
    Problem is your ass seems to think it's somehow part of the problem and the source for it, which it isn't.

    It just showed what a rotten bunch of cunts was there all along but not as loud.

    And if you wanted to pretend all of this didn't exist before that stuff, god i have some bad news for you. If anything it helped show exactly the calibre of entitled manchild we're dealing with and that it needs to be dealt with instead of constantly finding excuses and slinging shit at the left with even more "s. Which was sort of exactly the point in the first place, exposing it.

    Also congratulations, you dumb ass managed to change yet another conversation into being about "REEE SJWs". Which is exactly the fucking problem, yet you keep on doing it. Every single fucking time.
    SJWs are a problem? Whoah you might be up to something

    Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian

  11. #54811
    thebomby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    7,156
    So, a bunch of people who spend nearly all of their time in some fantasy world are now somehow insightful on modern politics?
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

  12. #54812
    Swiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 3, 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by dzajic View Post
    1. It is important because it was one of catalysts that lead to current events. Gamergate lead or helped MRA and RedPill which then synergized with nascent alt-right and brough us MAGA and Brexit.

    2. I'm at a loss of words that people where were there, on the internet, with access to how the entire bullshit started, aka you guys, will not just spit out MSM digests created after the fact and after the MSM and liberals apparently "won" that battle.

    3. Yes you can occupy multiple positions at the same time but no one is doing it. Gamergate received immensely disproportionate coverage by MSM than it deserved. And overall, 99% of what "left", "liberals" and "centrists" talk these days is only white knighting, virtue signaling and endless SJW-ing. Only reason silly old Bernie Sanders managed to get some traction on actual leftist issues was him promising to erase everyone's college debt. Without actually daring to touch why and how your beloved USA has come to such broken education system.

    Again, I will repeat my view, my opinion. Modern "left" in the liberal democracies is almost completely focused on PC and SJW issues and expect and demand of their voter base, who may have other interests and priorities, to support them on that. Socialist is still a dirty word in USA, and more or less in UK. So you can be whatever you want, except socialist. So if you want to oppose conservatives and neo fascists, only position left for you to take is advocacy of LGBTPQ+ rights, attacks on cis male hetero patriarchy, and support for poor innocent tolerant Muslims.

    And as long as this continues to be the case, Trumps and Brexits will continue to happen, and Hilllaries and Merkles will continue losing. If you negrep or block me it may make you feel better but it will not resolve the fundamental problems you guys have in your nice shiny developed countries.
    My problem with this oft-repeated analysis is it assumes that the "right" ; "alt-right" ; "anti-SJW anti-PC" folks have no agency of their own and the modern "left" is the lone actor in how we got here. The latter isn't blameless but it ignores how the right leaning factions have consistently muddied the waters and chosen those specific issues as their battlegrounds because they know it riles their base and steers people away from the real issues. Outrage culture is a problem endemic to all parts of the political spectrum, and to pretend the left is the only side that plays on it just seems absurd to me.

    Instead of ignoring a silly as shit Kotaku article like rational people, it gets strung up into a defensive battle cry by alt right or concern trolling "leftists".

    There's also a lot of elements that have been successful in redefining the left as pro-PC SJWs, because it's way more successful than attacking real leftist policy a la health care, welfare & employment.

  13. #54813
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post

    My problem with this oft-repeated analysis is it assumes that the "right" ; "alt-right" ; "anti-SJW anti-PC" folks have no agency of their own and the modern "left" is the lone actor in how we got here. The latter isn't blameless but it ignores how the right leaning factions have consistently muddied the waters and chosen those specific issues as their battlegrounds because they know it riles their base and steers people away from the real issues. Outrage culture is a problem endemic to all parts of the political spectrum, and to pretend the left is the only side that plays on it just seems absurd to me.

    Instead of ignoring a silly as shit Kotaku article like rational people, it gets strung up into a defensive battle cry by alt right or concern trolling "leftists".

    There's also a lot of elements that have been successful in redefining the left as pro-PC SJWs, because it's way more successful than attacking real leftist policy a la health care, welfare & employment.
    The culture war gets used the most by the right, but both sides will use it to a certain extent. The donor class of each party absolutely loves these issues because it stalls action on economic inequalities

    And 2012-15 was absolutely the low point for the media and liberalism as a whole. The economy was still sluggish and terrible, and the drug crisis was rapidly accelerating by that point. However the biggest outrage appeared to be gaming and the college crisis du jour

  14. #54814
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,256
    I mean, for what it’s worth, I’ve said before, I live in the Bay Area. Absolute headquarters of the looney regressive left SJW reee. Where all men supposedly sit down to pee in fear of castrations and enforced gender reassignment surgery, and I can tell you right now I’ve met exactly one person who wouldn’t shut up about gender issues at a party and most of us ignored them.

    I do know a bunch of gay people and women who won’t take shit from entitled little faggots with bad personal hygiene anymore, but that’s a different thing.

  15. #54815
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    5,526
    Meanwhile in the real world:

    "White supremacists and other far-right extremists have killed far more people since Sept. 11, 2001, than any other category of domestic extremist. The Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism has reported that 71 percent of the extremist-related fatalities in the United States between 2008 and 2017 were committed by members of the far right or white-supremacist movements. Islamic extremists were responsible for just 26 percent. Data compiled by the University of Maryland’s Global Terrorism Database shows that the number of terror-related incidents has more than tripled in the United States since 2013, and the number of those killed has quadrupled. In 2017, there were 65 incidents totaling 95 deaths. In a recent analysis of the data by the news site Quartz, roughly 60 percent of those incidents were driven by racist, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic, antigovernment or other right-wing ideologies. Left-wing ideologies, like radical environmentalism, were responsible for 11 attacks. Muslim extremists committed just seven attacks.

    These statistics belie the strident rhetoric around “foreign-born” terrorists that the Trump administration has used to drive its anti-immigration agenda. They also raise questions about the United States’ counterterrorism strategy, which for nearly two decades has been focused almost exclusively on American and foreign-born jihadists, overshadowing right-wing extremism as a legitimate national-security threat. According to a recent report by the nonpartisan Stimson Center, between 2002 and 2017, the United States spent $2.8 trillion — 16 percent of the overall federal budget — on counterterrorism. Terrorist attacks by Muslim extremists killed 100 people in the United States during that time. Between 2008 and 2017, domestic extremists killed 387 in the United States, according to the 2018 Anti-Defamation League report.

    “We’re actually seeing all the same phenomena of what was happening with groups like ISIS, same tactics, but no one talks about it because it’s far-right extremism,” says the national-security strategist P. W. Singer, a senior fellow at the New America think tank.

    [...]

    At home in the Houston suburb of Pasadena, Fears submerged himself in what to him was the new, hyperconnected world of the internet, where every YouTube video he watched algorithmically directed him to others with increasingly far-right political agendas. He was fascinated by men like Richard Spencer, who fashioned himself as the second coming of George Lincoln Rockwell, the founder of the American Nazi Party. He was also intrigued by Donald Trump, the troubadour of a new generation of angry white men, the alt-right movement — white supremacy 2.0 — with its in-jokes and symbols that were mostly lost on U.S. law enforcement.

    Fears believed in the power of memes, though alt-right memes, while dripping in irony, were also, in essence, hate speech, part of a propaganda war arguably intended to spread terror just as much as any ISIS execution video. Fears, his friend Canales says, was one of the first people Canales knew to understand this and promote the memes as broadly as he could, standing on street corners and “sieg heil-ing” at passers-by or waving a swastika-laden Pepe the Frog sign reading “Free Helicopter Rides,” an allusion to the murder of political enemies, notably leftists.

    [...]

    And that’s the point: The genius of the new far right, if we could call it “genius,” has been their steadfast determination to blend into the larger fabric of society to such an extent that perhaps the only way you might see them as a problem is if you actually want to see them at all".

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/m...InMMCwys11KlN8

    "It's just a meme, a joke, why do you haff to be mad?"
    Last edited by Venec; November 4 2018 at 10:08:48 PM.

  16. #54816
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Meanwhile in the real world:

    "White supremacists and other far-right extremists have killed far more people since Sept. 11, 2001, than any other category of domestic extremist. The Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism has reported that 71 percent of the extremist-related fatalities in the United States between 2008 and 2017 were committed by members of the far right or white-supremacist movements. Islamic extremists were responsible for just 26 percent. Data compiled by the University of Maryland’s Global Terrorism Database shows that the number of terror-related incidents has more than tripled in the United States since 2013, and the number of those killed has quadrupled. In 2017, there were 65 incidents totaling 95 deaths. In a recent analysis of the data by the news site Quartz, roughly 60 percent of those incidents were driven by racist, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic, antigovernment or other right-wing ideologies. Left-wing ideologies, like radical environmentalism, were responsible for 11 attacks. Muslim extremists committed just seven attacks.

    These statistics belie the strident rhetoric around “foreign-born” terrorists that the Trump administration has used to drive its anti-immigration agenda. They also raise questions about the United States’ counterterrorism strategy, which for nearly two decades has been focused almost exclusively on American and foreign-born jihadists, overshadowing right-wing extremism as a legitimate national-security threat. According to a recent report by the nonpartisan Stimson Center, between 2002 and 2017, the United States spent $2.8 trillion — 16 percent of the overall federal budget — on counterterrorism. Terrorist attacks by Muslim extremists killed 100 people in the United States during that time. Between 2008 and 2017, domestic extremists killed 387 in the United States, according to the 2018 Anti-Defamation League report.

    “We’re actually seeing all the same phenomena of what was happening with groups like ISIS, same tactics, but no one talks about it because it’s far-right extremism,” says the national-security strategist P. W. Singer, a senior fellow at the New America think tank.

    [...]

    At home in the Houston suburb of Pasadena, Fears submerged himself in what to him was the new, hyperconnected world of the internet, where every YouTube video he watched algorithmically directed him to others with increasingly far-right political agendas. He was fascinated by men like Richard Spencer, who fashioned himself as the second coming of George Lincoln Rockwell, the founder of the American Nazi Party. He was also intrigued by Donald Trump, the troubadour of a new generation of angry white men, the alt-right movement — white supremacy 2.0 — with its in-jokes and symbols that were mostly lost on U.S. law enforcement.

    Fears believed in the power of memes, though alt-right memes, while dripping in irony, were also, in essence, hate speech, part of a propaganda war arguably intended to spread terror just as much as any ISIS execution video. Fears, his friend Canales says, was one of the first people Canales knew to understand this and promote the memes as broadly as he could, standing on street corners and “sieg heil-ing” at passers-by or waving a swastika-laden Pepe the Frog sign reading “Free Helicopter Rides,” an allusion to the murder of political enemies, notably leftists.

    [...]

    And that’s the point: The genius of the new far right, if we could call it “genius,” has been their steadfast determination to blend into the larger fabric of society to such an extent that perhaps the only way you might see them as a problem is if you actually want to see them at all".

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/m...InMMCwys11KlN8

    "It's just a meme, a joke, why do you haff to be mad?"
    Yes we've only been discussing the far-right for the past 200 pages.

    Glad you caught up

  17. #54817
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Meanwhile in the real world:

    "White supremacists and other far-right extremists have killed far more people since Sept. 11, 2001, than any other category of domestic extremist. The Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism has reported that 71 percent of the extremist-related fatalities in the United States between 2008 and 2017 were committed by members of the far right or white-supremacist movements. Islamic extremists were responsible for just 26 percent. Data compiled by the University of Maryland’s Global Terrorism Database shows that the number of terror-related incidents has more than tripled in the United States since 2013, and the number of those killed has quadrupled. In 2017, there were 65 incidents totaling 95 deaths. In a recent analysis of the data by the news site Quartz, roughly 60 percent of those incidents were driven by racist, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic, antigovernment or other right-wing ideologies. Left-wing ideologies, like radical environmentalism, were responsible for 11 attacks. Muslim extremists committed just seven attacks.

    These statistics belie the strident rhetoric around “foreign-born” terrorists that the Trump administration has used to drive its anti-immigration agenda. They also raise questions about the United States’ counterterrorism strategy, which for nearly two decades has been focused almost exclusively on American and foreign-born jihadists, overshadowing right-wing extremism as a legitimate national-security threat. According to a recent report by the nonpartisan Stimson Center, between 2002 and 2017, the United States spent $2.8 trillion — 16 percent of the overall federal budget — on counterterrorism. Terrorist attacks by Muslim extremists killed 100 people in the United States during that time. Between 2008 and 2017, domestic extremists killed 387 in the United States, according to the 2018 Anti-Defamation League report.

    “We’re actually seeing all the same phenomena of what was happening with groups like ISIS, same tactics, but no one talks about it because it’s far-right extremism,” says the national-security strategist P. W. Singer, a senior fellow at the New America think tank.

    [...]

    At home in the Houston suburb of Pasadena, Fears submerged himself in what to him was the new, hyperconnected world of the internet, where every YouTube video he watched algorithmically directed him to others with increasingly far-right political agendas. He was fascinated by men like Richard Spencer, who fashioned himself as the second coming of George Lincoln Rockwell, the founder of the American Nazi Party. He was also intrigued by Donald Trump, the troubadour of a new generation of angry white men, the alt-right movement — white supremacy 2.0 — with its in-jokes and symbols that were mostly lost on U.S. law enforcement.

    Fears believed in the power of memes, though alt-right memes, while dripping in irony, were also, in essence, hate speech, part of a propaganda war arguably intended to spread terror just as much as any ISIS execution video. Fears, his friend Canales says, was one of the first people Canales knew to understand this and promote the memes as broadly as he could, standing on street corners and “sieg heil-ing” at passers-by or waving a swastika-laden Pepe the Frog sign reading “Free Helicopter Rides,” an allusion to the murder of political enemies, notably leftists.

    [...]

    And that’s the point: The genius of the new far right, if we could call it “genius,” has been their steadfast determination to blend into the larger fabric of society to such an extent that perhaps the only way you might see them as a problem is if you actually want to see them at all".

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/m...InMMCwys11KlN8

    "It's just a meme, a joke, why do you haff to be mad?"
    Yes we've only been discussing the far-right for the past 200 pages.

    Glad you caught up
    np bud, I'm glad I could be of service.

  18. #54818

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    5,057
    Yep.Immigration is now just a smokescreen for Americas real problem:

    Christian right-wing extremists and their increasing rhetoric/appetite for terrorism.

  19. #54819
    Varcaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15, 2011
    Posts
    20,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Yep.Immigration is now just a smokescreen for Americas real problem:

    Christian right-wing extremists and their increasing rhetoric/appetite for terrorism.
    You say increasing as if it hasn't been constant and just getting more attention now

  20. #54820
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,470
    Saw a report yesterday that over 32 million have voted early, and there were still several days left. In 2014, total early votes were 24 million.

    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •