hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2218 of 2407 FirstFirst ... 121817182118216822082215221622172218221922202221222822682318 ... LastLast
Results 44,341 to 44,360 of 48134

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    I dont understand why they all have this love for ILLEGAL immigrants? Is it "because it's 2018" thing?
    It's specifically for children brought along with their parents when the parents came to the US illegally. The children didn't come alone and were under 16.

These children grew up in the US and attended school there and are well integrated (the US does the latter part pretty well compared to Europe.)

Tapapapatalk

Edit: almost forgot: yes I took the bait. Whatever.
    Children aren't punished for the crimes of their parents, otherwise Smarnca would have been strung up as a nazi collaborator.
    Children suffer the effects of their parents decisions all the time.

Society (generally) does not allow those who broke the law to retain the benefits of, or profit from, that law breaking.

Smarca's question is legitimate, there is no presumption DACA is right just because. Like everything, it should be questioned.

The argument FOR DACA boils down to one of pure emotional heartsting tugging. "Kids", a goodly portion of whom are now in their 20's, shouldn't be sent back to their home countries because they're kids, and they would (it is claimed) suffer. Despite establishing that their home countries are not, in fact, shitholes.

That's fine, it's a goodhearted morality-based argument to put forth, but it's not an argument-ender or debate-killer like some think it should be. It's just a position and it must compete with the other positions on the issue.

And lets be honest, Democrats are not taking this position for the moral stand, they're taking it because these kids are lopsidedly future Democrat voters once the next Amnesty passes. If the "dreamers" were all Polish and Russian far-right "kids", the Dems would be fighting DACA hard.
    It's more that if they are brought to the US as children and grow up in the US and become adults in the US they are pretty integrated into the US and may not feel/have a connection with their "home" country.
    'I'm pro life. I'm a non-smoker. I'm a pro-life non-smoker. WOO, Let the party begin!'

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    It's pretty clear that both sides are totally different.
    Totally.

As far as I am aware, in living memory, the democrats have never been incompetent enough to suffer a real shutdown of a government they fully control.
    Total Control.

Doesn't have 60 members. Vote requires 60 members.

Yep, you nailed it.

Never change FHC, this page, perfection. There is no pretzel-logic you won't buy up as long as it's the lefty party you're supporting.

Shutdown caused exclusively by Dem votes, nope, totally the Republicans fault.

Totally.

/chuckle

Totally.
    Mitch McConnell is a dem now? So is Rand Paul?

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post

Totally.
    Mitch McConnell is a dem now? So is Rand Paul?

Interesting.
    most unlikely hero pair ever

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

I'll say this about Rand Paul. Even though I think his principals are insane, at least he has principles. That alone sets him apart from 95% of his peers.
    meh

So, why doesn't the republican-controlled house just pass a budget, like in normal countries? It doesn't need a supermajority, right?

Can someone explain to me why the hell the US is in this mess again? I thought the last time it was because the house controlled by R would not pass Obama's budget. But R controls all the chambers, what's the issue here?

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    So, why doesn't the republican-controlled house just pass a budget, like in normal countries? It doesn't need a supermajority, right?

Can someone explain to me why the hell the US is in this mess again? I thought the last time it was because the house controlled by R would not pass Obama's budget. But R controls all the chambers, what's the issue here?
    It takes 60 votes. There are 51 Rs, but they can't even get 50 to vote Yes on it.

The DACA thing was added by the democrats because the Republicans added a ton of pork-barrel spending to the bill. DACA is the compromise.

I've given you the benefit of the doubt for a long time, but with that statement you have just shown how far removed from reality you are.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

Democrats worked a bloc and Republicans splintered? idk how it works either

Because the tea party is still an insane thing who literally want to destroy society it seems. Republicans happily use them to rile up gullible people into feeling the same way.
    The Republicans happily invited them in, even though their professed ideology involves literally destroying the GOP, because they will happily ignore their principles, including the religious ones most of them proclaim to devoutly follow, to win and fuck over "liberals" at all costs, because they are a cretinous bunch of cowardly liars who are trying to rob the country blind for them and their country club pals.

However, that erodes control when they try to do things, because the tea party clowns are a large enough group that they erode R control of those organs, because they really are a third party who wouldn't get anywhere unless they (against their so-called principles) sucked on the donor money teat the Republicans provide, so they fucked themselves whilst giving themselves a reach-around basically.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people, tbh.

This is what happens when you invite ideologically extreme factions that would probably be persecuted as domestic terrorists in any sane country into your political party. Little alt-right cunts included.

Also, besides Alistair and the right wing squawk-o-sphere proclaim, this is less about DACA and more about Trump and the Republicans sneaking legislation in that defunds healthcare for about 20 something million Americans.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post

It takes 60 votes. There are 51 Rs, but they can't even get 50 to vote Yes on it.

The DACA thing was added by the democrats because the Republicans added a ton of pork-barrel spending to the bill. DACA is the compromise.
    Sorry, I meant the basic budget thing. I mean, it cannot be that you need a supermajority (60 votes) to pass a budget, surely?

And Erich, I think the US needs to do what Europeans did 400 years ago - find a new continent where the insanely religious types could migrate to.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Because the Republicans don't really have a cohesive platform. They and Trump ran on platitudes and promises, not policy. There are divas within the party who insist on taking a hard line, saying they don't need Democrats for anything (despite the fact that the budget requires at least some of their votes). Republicans who have been deliberately avoiding talking about Trump are now forced to either pander to his base and lose Democratic votes on the budget, or compromise with the Democrats and face a serious primary challenge from a Trumpkin.
    I mean, it cannot be that you need a supermajority (60 votes) to pass a budget, surely?
    Oh, it absolutely needs one. If you only needed a simple majority, the EPA and tax hikes would be gutted by every Republican administration, and defense and tax cuts would be gutted by every Democratic one. Can you imagine the seismic effects on the world economy if that happened every 4 years?
    Last edited by Nordstern; January 20 2018 at 03:08:02 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Because the Republicans don't really have a cohesive platform. They and Trump ran on platitudes and promises, not policy.
    Basically wrecking all regulations to benefit your cronies is a cohesive platform imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

And Erich, I think the US needs to do what Europeans did 400 years ago - find a new continent where the insanely religious types could migrate to.
    They could team up with the idiots in South Africa who want their Oranje homeland as well. I'm sure every country has a few. WE could let them use Antarctica. I hear it's nice.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    It's pretty clear that both sides are totally different.
    Totally.

As far as I am aware, in living memory, the democrats have never been incompetent enough to suffer a real shutdown of a government they fully control.
    Total Control.

Doesn't have 60 members. Vote requires 60 members.

Yep, you nailed it.

Never change FHC, this page, perfection. There is no pretzel-logic you won't buy up as long as it's the lefty party you're supporting.

Totally.

/chuckle
    Given that the Republicans couldnt even get all their own sentators onside, and they blew their one reconciliation on a massive giveaway to billionaires, why is this the democrats fault? What SHOULDNT the democrats extract policy concessions in order to lend support to the current (if one can call it that) government?

All the republicans have to do is back off on their "shit on children if they happen to be brown" policies and they can have their CR. They'd literally rather shut down the government that do that. So, you know, fuck em.
    Last edited by Malcanis; January 20 2018 at 03:27:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    They could team up with the idiots in South Africa who want their Oranje homeland as well. I'm sure every country has a few. WE could let them use Antarctica. I hear it's nice.
    can't we just use america again? sure it won't fix USA's problems, but it will fix a whole bunch of shit in the middle east and africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    can't we just use america again? sure it won't fix USA's problems, but it will fix a whole bunch of shit in the middle east and africa.
    If we get rid of them, we'll spend less on the military, because we don't have a bunch of people who've been brainwashed by the Military Industrial Complex into fearing brown people so they won't be all "rah rah military" so we won't wave it around as much anymore. That'll be the same effect mostly. In fact, we'd probably get much further economically if we just straight up paid the people in the military a bunch of that money (really make it a place the best and brightest want to go) and went to an open market system for equipment. It would cut literally billions and billions in overhead, be actually more in line with real conservative principles. That way, this ridiculous siphoning of money from America into the the boardrooms of Lockmart and the like through their legally bribed pet congress people (no party is innocent here) ends but we're not changing the military as it is for most people, not changing troop levels or anything like that. We're making it a proper professional, well paid career option and we're spurring innovation in the public sector. Look at the innovation that occurred during ww2 when US military contracts were open bid.
    meh

Because the tea party is still an insane thing who literally want to destroy society it seems. Republicans happily use them to rile up gullible people into feeling the same way.
    The Republicans happily invited them in, even though their professed ideology involves literally destroying the GOP, because they will happily ignore their principles, including the religious ones most of them proclaim to devoutly follow, to win and fuck over "liberals" at all costs, because they are a cretinous bunch of cowardly liars who are trying to rob the country blind for them and their country club pals.

However, that erodes control when they try to do things, because the tea party clowns are a large enough group that they erode R control of those organs, because they really are a third party who wouldn't get anywhere unless they (against their so-called principles) sucked on the donor money teat the Republicans provide, so they fucked themselves whilst giving themselves a reach-around basically.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people, tbh.

This is what happens when you invite ideologically extreme factions that would probably be persecuted as domestic terrorists in any sane country into your political party. Little alt-right cunts included.

Also, besides Alistair and the right wing squawk-o-sphere proclaim, this is less about DACA and more about Trump and the Republicans sneaking legislation in that defunds healthcare for about 20 something million Americans.
    TFW you vote for right-wing anarchists and you're surprised when they destroy your government.