hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2451 of 2466 FirstFirst ... 1451195123512401244124482449245024512452245324542461 ... LastLast
Results 49,001 to 49,020 of 49301

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jori McKie View Post
    The EU just has to put tariffs on US service industry and it will be a bloodbath. Actually the US has a trade surplus in the service industry with the EU.
    Just imagine 25% on all Amazon products although the Orange might like that as he hates Bezos.

Wouldn't work, because the EU would have to put tariffs on a EU country.

Hint: those mega corps have HQs all over the place for that fabiulous tax dodging. E.g. My Amazon ToS and invoices refer to Amazon Luxembourg.

What the EU already has prepared: a list of tariffs on products that mostly target GOP states/districts. Looks like to me, but that's OK with me, as Trump apperently doesn't "speak" any other negotiation language than "Who's the bigger bully, you or me?"
    You wanna bet the loopholes (lol netherlands) will be closed faster if this shit keeps up?

Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    The EU just has to put tariffs on US service industry and it will be a bloodbath. Actually the US has a trade surplus in the service industry with the EU.
    Just imagine 25% on all Amazon products although the Orange might like that as he hates Bezos.

Hint: those mega corps have HQs all over the place for that fabiulous tax dodging. E.g. My Amazon ToS and invoices refer to Amazon Luxembourg.

What the EU already has prepared: a list of tariffs on products that mostly target GOP states/districts. Looks like to me, but that's OK with me, as Trump apperently doesn't "speak" any other negotiation language than "Who's the bigger bully, you or me?"
    You wanna bet the loopholes (lol netherlands) will be closed faster if this shit keeps up?
    Nope, though one would hope so. In fact I hope Macron pushes through his reforms for the EU / Eurozone.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post

Nope, though one would hope so. In fact I hope Macron pushes through his reforms for the EU / Eurozone.
    Macron closing financial loopholes ? I dont think it will happen anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    It was very clear, from his first meetings with international leaders, thatís heís the kind of person who will say whatever he thinks will make people in the room like him, so yes, weak.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    It was very clear, from his first meetings with international leaders, thatís heís the kind of person who will say whatever he thinks will make people in the room like him, so yes, weak.

you mean the reforms that are going to be uniformly punishing the labour side of the equation and have all the attempts at addressing loopholes plucked out before it ever goes to voting ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

you mean the reforms that are going to be uniformly punishing the labour side of the equation and have all the attempts at addressing loopholes plucked out before it ever goes to voting ?
    No, more like those reforms you apparently don't understand, and probably never even bothered to read. Those ones ...

(protip: Frances labour laws, for example, are massive fucked up, and discriminate, not just on the young/millenials/etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Global HQ of Amazon is still in the US, Seattle. Many US companies have subsidiaries in several EU countries (licencing stuff to reduce taxes) but i'm pretty sure any HQ is still in the US.
    Anyway in case the trade war is going to be an all out trade war, i don't doubt a second that the EU and especially Germany/France will get very creative and fuck them over legally with new laws. Just think about creative ways to fuck with US banks or credit card companies and as a last resort fuck with the Dollar itself and create your own new SWIFT and tell the US if you want in, pay up.
    You sure can slap tariffs tit for tat on special brands that will hurt the republican base but i doubt that the Orange will be impressed. If you threaten to fuck with the banks, credit cards companies and the Dollar itself i guess you will get the attention of even the most right wing republican and they will understand to stop the Orange or else....

Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post
    Macron closing financial loopholes ? I dont think it will happen anytime soon.
    Nope.
    Not those either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    No, more like those reforms you apparently don't understand, and probably never even bothered to read. Those ones ...

(protip: Frances labour laws, for example, are massive fucked up, and discriminate, not just on the young/millenials/etc.)
    No. Not these either.

These: Unified EU finance minister, unified EU/Eurozone budget, an institution providing oversight over EU economic policy.

http://www.dw.com/en/how-frances-emm...-eu/a-43002078
    nevar forget

Global HQ of Amazon is still in the US, Seattle. Many US companies have subsidiaries in several EU countries (licencing stuff to reduce taxes) but i'm pretty sure any HQ is still in the US.
    Anyway in case the trade war is going to be an all out trade war, i don't doubt a second that the EU and especially Germany/France will get very creative and fuck them over legally with new laws. Just think about creative ways to fuck with US banks or credit card companies and as a last resort fuck with the Dollar itself and create your own new SWIFT and tell the US if you want in, pay up.
    You sure can slap tariffs tit for tat on special brands that will hurt the republican base but i doubt that the Orange will be impressed. If you threaten to fuck with the banks, credit cards companies and the Dollar itself i guess you will get the attention of even the most right wing republican and they will understand to stop the Orange or else....
    Have you picked out the neighbors you can easily kill and eat yet, if your fantasy comes true?

Have you picked out the neighbors you can easily kill and eat yet, if your fantasy comes true?
    It is very unlikely that my last resort "fantasy" will come reality as it will be mutual destruction but in between there are a lot of nuances to fuck with the US service industry. The only way i see to stop the Orange from destroying our trade system is to wake the GOP up and a little threatening of mutual destructing goes a long way.

Trump is a bully, who is hoping (against hope) that the other parties will blink first. They won't. Least of all Canada over their dairy supply limitation policy.

The G7-1 are already sitting down with the Chinese on how to respond appropriately to Trump's protectionism and US trade policies. Combined that is a pissing contest the US can not possibly win.

It is also a pissing contest to which the vast majority of the US congress is opposed. Because it is both stupid and counter productive. Especially the Republicans are scared shitless of the consequences the effects of this will have on their chances during the mid-term elections. Because a tradewar will predominately hit the rural lower to middle cast, on which their party is mostly founded.

The reality is that both the US and Trump are weak on this. And soon they'll be forced to say uncle. Let's just hope that it'll happen sooner than later, before too much damage is done.

So basically like everything else Trump ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Week.

It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post

Trump is a bully, who is hoping (against hope) that the other parties will blink first. They won't. Least of all Canada over their dairy supply limitation policy.

The G7-1 are already sitting down with the Chinese on how to respond appropriately to Trump's protectionism and US trade policies. Combined that is a pissing contest the US can not possibly win.

It is also a pissing contest to which the vast majority of the US congress is opposed. Because it is both stupid and counter productive. Especially the Republicans are scared shitless of the consequences the effects of this will have on their chances during the mid-term elections. Because a tradewar will predominately hit the rural lower to middle cast, on which their party is mostly founded.

The reality is that both the US and Trump are weak on this. And soon they'll be forced to say uncle. Let's just hope that it'll happen sooner than later, before too much damage is done.

So basically like everything else Trump ...
    Even if the EU "wins", everyone loses.

After the US gets handled in a trade war, not all of the anger will be towards Trump. It will be even easier to peddle isolationist anti-EU/NATO rhetoric once that happens.

So just curious, the U.S. tariffs/trade barriers are bad, but EU and Canadian tariffs/trade barriers are ok, is that about the gist of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    So just curious, the U.S. tariffs/trade barriers are bad, but EU and Canadian tariffs/trade barriers are ok, is that about the gist of it?
    Change is considered bad. As a conservative you should appreciate that.

Trade barriers/tariffs can also be the outcome of different political motivations. I'm sure many will have arguments for certain tariffs being an economic necessity and therefore 'good' while others are the result of short-termism and populist pandering, and therefore 'bad'.

Not those either.

These: Unified EU finance minister, unified EU/Eurozone budget, an institution providing oversight over EU economic policy.

http://www.dw.com/en/how-frances-emm...-eu/a-43002078
    ah, you mean the attempts at actually turning the euro into a functioning currency!

nope, not happening, whatever transfers Germany ends up reluctantly agreeing upon aren't going to be big enough to make a difference, and the whole thing is going to be yet another austerity laden "budget discipline" fail-fest that has seen the "unfortunate" end of the eurozone defacto stagnate for what ? ten years now ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Starting a trade war with political and economic partners is bad. Canada and EU issuing counter tarrifs in response is a predictable outcome.

Not sure if you are trolling, if so, ha ha, you got me.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang