hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2445 of 2828 FirstFirst ... 144519452345239524352442244324442445244624472448245524952545 ... LastLast
Results 48,881 to 48,900 of 56550

Thread: USA Politics Thread

is nothing sacred???

Meanwhile Trump has decided he's just going to straight up not talk to leaders of other G7 countries, because they won't agree with him.

Must be nice to have a job where you can just not do what you're paid for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Meanwhile Trump has decided he's just going to straight up not talk to leaders of other G7 countries, because they won't agree with him.

Tell them to go F themselves because they're coming up with dumb ideas?

Careful not head hit on rock!
    laughs in Slovenian

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post

Great strategy, tell all your friends to fuck off.

Discussing dumb ideas usually paves the way for someone having a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Discussing dumb ideas usually paves the way for someone having a good idea.
    Probably for the best they don't get this with Trump then. He doesn't have the patience to make it past the first idea. He just turns that in to policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he finds it impossible to even attempt to treat a female leader of a nation as an equal.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Brutalism is designed to cow and intimidate citizens into obedience, has no redeeming qualities, and is generally an insult to the human spirit. The faster those buildings are demolished the better.
    Good. Let's take down all those old Roman or Greek buildings, the world can't get rid off 'em soon enough. And while you're at it, those intimidating castles should go, too.

/s obviously

Seriously, this is arguing over taste ("insult to the human spirit"), which never led to any meaningful outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Honestly don't see why the bottom pic is better. It's a total fabrication, designed to look like a series of buildings that were built at different times.
    That's how that place looked before the allies bombed the shit out of it in WWII. And that's also why the first picture has nothing to do with "brutalism" (aka "Nazi architecture"), but is one of those awful post WWII architecture FOTMs.

Reconstruction example.

Old (pre WWII):

Now newly reconstructed:

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Honestly don't see why the bottom pic is better. It's a total fabrication, designed to look like a series of buildings that were built at different times.
    That's how that place looked before the allies bombed the shit out of it in WWII. And that's also why the first picture has nothing to do with "brutalism" (aka "Nazi architecture"), but is one of those awful post WWII architecture FOTMs.

Reconstruction example.

Old (pre WWII):

Now newly reconstructed:
    Pretty decent effort I would say ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    It's a mimic, and not a terribly good one. The character of the building was lost during the process. While it is saddening to see old building styles go, we move on.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    It's a mimic, and not a terribly good one. The character of the building was lost during the process. While it is saddening to see old building styles go, we move on.
    I disagree that the character of the building was lost in the process. It's a pretty good simile of what the city square looked like before. Moreover, embracing modernism is all well and good, but in this day and age it just leads to cookiecutter citiescapes, where you don't know whether you're in Germany, China, or the US. Because it all has to be 'utilitarian' but basically cheap to build, all to maximise the profit margin. Uniform concrete boxes to house the peasantry, so that the landlords and developers can build themselves a castle in the countryside.

Thanks but no thanks.

No, the Germans did the right thing: they rejected the cheap option, and restored what they had lost, and did a pretty good job of it as well. In a couple of decades the sheen will have come of the newness, so it would look a lot less fake.

I sick and tired of the sterile glass and concrete boxes sold in the name of modernity, but really only there to make money for the developers and stroke the ego of the architects. If there's anything that drains the sole and character out of cities these days it is that ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Also, having been to a few places in Germany that survived being flattened (Hamlin), they way they blend the faux old with the actual old is done thoughtfully.

I think Warsaw did a pretty damn good job of reconstructing their old town city center and the Palace tbqh.

Nothing wrong with saying "fuck you, German Nazi and Russia Communist shitstains, blow up our shit and we're going to rebuild it".

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    What are you on about? Brutalism isn't Nazi'esque architecture. It was in style for quite a while and has no connection to everyone's favourite shitty 1930's-1940's century dicktatorship.

My favourite mid century dictatorship is Fascist Spain tbh. All the statists are the villains in that one.

The Trump DOJ tonight just told the courts to dismantle pre-existing conditions protections and other consumer protections.
    Link to tweet with updates

'murica

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    My favourite mid century dictatorship is Fascist Spain tbh. All the statists are the villains in that one.
    Franco would be a top tier Bond villain

The American people will roll over like the lumpen, moronic sheep they are and continue to bleat about patriotism like the good little consumers they are. Is obesity a pre-existing condition?

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Christina Wilkie: On April 11, I called Trumpís favorite architect to ask about jobs he did in Eastern Europe that recently drew Muellerís eye. Within hours, John Fotiadis closed down his 10 yr old architecture firm, deleted his portfolio and left Twitter. Heís still MIA.

"Meet the New York architect who was a key figure in Donald Trump's deals and connections in Eastern Europe"
    You left out the best bit:

There are no indications that Fotiadis has done anything wrong and no indications that Mueller is investigating that possibility.
    Well I have to trick y'all into reading it now don't I?

Not sure if this has been linked yet,

Pizza delivery man turned over to ICE after making a routine delivery to Brooklyn military base
    Pablo Villavicencio-Calderon regularly delivers pizzas to Fort Hamilton, but on his latest trip, instead of returning home, he was detained by ICE and now faces deportation. Villavicencio-Calderon's wife and two children are American citizens and his green card application is still in processing.
    I hope all these ICE agents have studied Nuremberg, and realize they can't use orders as a legal defense.
    America is not subject to ICC jurisdiction. We withdrew quite a while ago.

It'd take something more compelling than a subpoena to bring Americans before an international human rights tribunal.
    Chinese global hegemony. Which would be supreme historic irony.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот