hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2439 of 2582 FirstFirst ... 143919392339238924292436243724382439244024412442244924892539 ... LastLast
Results 48,761 to 48,780 of 51637

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    https://theintercept.com/2018/06/04/...-the-party-is/

Even after the Obama DOJ indicted Menendez and detailed all of the behavior cited by the Senate Ethics Committee, the Democrats’ senior lawmaker in Washington, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, made his solidarity with Menendez clear, heralding him as “one of the best legislators in the Senate and is always fighting hard for the people of his state,” adding: “I am confident he will continue to do so in the weeks and months ahead.”

Their united front, along with the massive war chest of money Menendez has compiled from corporate interests, has made it essentially impossible for any credible primary challenge to be mounted against him.
    Not a Greenwald fan at all, but this is a good summary of how awful the Dems can be in stronghold states

Should we actually try to do better? Or just use Trump to coast into power? Decisions...
    Is Greenwald still getting his paychecks from the Kremlin?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...disappear.html
    That doesn't change the fact that Greenwald's crictisicm if Menendez and the NJ Democratic Party is warranted and appropriate.

Dude's a scumbag and a liability to the party. But that's par for the course for liberals... so....
    Sure, but we shouldn’t be giving possible traitors a voice.
    Of course not.

The Democrats could have supported any of Menendez's primary challengers and shown him the door, and still held onto their Senate seat while also scoring a moral victory and demonstrating to the voters that they actually care about official misconduct.

But they didn't. Menendez will probably get re-elected, sure, but that doesn't mean he deserves his seat.

Total non-sequitir, but based on Trump's absolute shitfest today on the White House lawn with the anthem... let's have some classic American music.

Last edited by Lachesis VII; June 5 2018 at 11:46:43 PM.

"Damn NFL, only 10 players coming, I'm going to cancel the event, and have my own anthem rally with NO KNEELING!"

Last edited by Dorvil Barranis; June 6 2018 at 12:12:05 AM.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

I get that the guy kneeling is ironic and "haha DAE drumpf" but stuff like that being reported on in national press like it's some kind of important moment is exactly why the American press is an international laughingstock that was all too easily discredited by the Russians.

Total non-sequitir, but based on Trump's absolute shitfest today on the White House lawn with the anthem... let's have some classic American music.
    Hear hear

How about no on the pro-slavery songs.

Also, those folks weren't Americans.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; June 6 2018 at 05:18:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    I get that the guy kneeling is ironic and "haha DAE drumpf" but stuff like that being reported on in national press like it's some kind of important moment is exactly why the American press is an international laughingstock that was all too easily discredited by the Russians.
    That tweet is actually from a TV 2 Denmark reporter. Thanks for playing!

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

It's a tweet, and not even from "the national press"

So... uh?

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    https://theintercept.com/2018/06/04/...-the-party-is/

Even after the Obama DOJ indicted Menendez and detailed all of the behavior cited by the Senate Ethics Committee, the Democrats’ senior lawmaker in Washington, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, made his solidarity with Menendez clear, heralding him as “one of the best legislators in the Senate and is always fighting hard for the people of his state,” adding: “I am confident he will continue to do so in the weeks and months ahead.”

Their united front, along with the massive war chest of money Menendez has compiled from corporate interests, has made it essentially impossible for any credible primary challenge to be mounted against him.
    Not a Greenwald fan at all, but this is a good summary of how awful the Dems can be in stronghold states

Should we actually try to do better? Or just use Trump to coast into power? Decisions...
    Is Greenwald still getting his paychecks from the Kremlin?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...disappear.html
    That doesn't change the fact that Greenwald's crictisicm if Menendez and the NJ Democratic Party is warranted and appropriate.

Dude's a scumbag and a liability to the party. But that's par for the course for liberals... so....
    Sure, but we shouldn’t be giving possible traitors a voice.
    Of course not.

The Democrats could have supported any of Menendez's primary challengers and shown him the door, and still held onto their Senate seat while also scoring a moral victory and demonstrating to the voters that they actually care about official misconduct.

But they didn't. Menendez will probably get re-elected, sure, but that doesn't mean he deserves his seat.
    I completely agree. Doesn’t change the issues with “journalists”.
    meh

So who does get to criticize the Democrats, then?

What's the profile of a person with a) a sufficient audience to apply meaningful critique to a national organization, b) the proper education to actually know what's going on and explain it to other people, and c) whatever Real American social status is required to not be a "traitor" for critiquing blatantly corrupt politicians just because they happen to be members of the slightly-less-inclined-to-Fascism party?

What's the profile of a person with a) a sufficient audience to apply meaningful critique to a national organization, b) the proper education to actually know what's going on and explain it to other people, and c) whatever Real American social status is required to not be a "traitor" for critiquing blatantly corrupt politicians just because they happen to be members of the slightly-less-inclined-to-Fascism party?
    Well, 1) do you really think either Greenwald or Martin have that kind of voice? and 2) just because the press in this county have abandoned their responsibility, doesn’t mean I have to accept RTs version of events.

My complaint about both of them doesn’t have anything to do with me not agreeing with what they said. It’s literally because they where taking money from Russia to spread propaganda. Their names should join a list that includes Zucca, Gillars an D’Aquino.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; June 6 2018 at 04:48:28 AM.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    It's a tweet, and not even from "the national press"

So... uh?
    This is what I mean.

Well, 1) do you really think either Greenwald or Martin have that kind of voice? and 2) just because the press in this county have abandoned their responsibility, doesn’t mean I have to accept RTs version of events.

My complaint about both of them doesn’t have anything to do with me not agreeing with what they said. It’s literally because they where taking money from Russia to spread propaganda. Their names should join a list that includes Zucca, Gillars an D’Aquino.
    1) As much as anyone does in this day and age. I don't particularly care about Greenwald a a journalist or writer. In fact, I prefer Zaid Jilani's reporting quite a bit more.

2) I don't really care about the propaganda angle, at least not on a systemic or meta level. If a given piece of "propaganda" is a) accurate (or sufficiently accurate for the rhetoric of the argument), and b) has utility in terms of applying criticism or pressure or agitation in a fashion that comports with my ideology... literally why the fuck should I care?

This is like the whole Julian Assange thing. Julian Assange is a cunt, quite obviously a Russian asset, and has done enormously disruptive, damaging things to my society. But that doesn't mean that the plenty of the shit he's leaked isn't actually real, and didn't deserve to be leaked. Sometimes you need to see how the sausage is made, even if you have an aversion to meatpackers.

Take a look at this old CIA film.

It's propaganda. It's also about propaganda—propaganda that, 30 years after it was made, and 25 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, is just maybe a little uncanny.

You also didn't answer the question about what public figure gets to criticize democrats.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; June 6 2018 at 05:25:34 AM. Reason: Video Derp

1) As much as anyone does in this day and age. I don't particularly care about Greenwald a a journalist or writer. In fact, I prefer Zaid Jilani's reporting quite a bit more.

2) I don't really care about the propaganda angle, at least not on a systemic or meta level. If a given piece of "propaganda" is a) accurate (or sufficiently accurate for the rhetoric of the argument), and b) has utility in terms of applying criticism or pressure or agitation in a fashion that comports with my ideology... literally why the fuck should I care?

This is like the whole Julian Assange thing. Julian Assange is a cunt, quite obviously a Russian asset, and has done enormously disruptive, damaging things to my society. But that doesn't mean that the plenty of the shit he's leaked isn't actually real, and didn't deserve to be leaked. Sometimes you need to see how the sausage is made, even if you have an aversion to meatpackers.

Take a look at this old CIA film.

It's propaganda. It's also about propaganda—propaganda that, 30 years after it was made, and 25 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, is just maybe a little uncanny.

You also didn't answer the question about what public figure gets to criticize democrats.
    As I said, it is not cognitive dissonance to me to take the facts contained in the propaganda and consider them, and still want the propagandist shot for treason.

As far as criticizing democrats, plenty that haven’t sold their county out as far as I can tell. That said, both you and I know that the press in this country is virtually useless, but that is still no excuse to not to be critical of the sources, and their motives. News shouldn’t have a motive. It should be news.
    meh

So you can sell your countrymen to the highest bidder, just as long as that high bidder is an American oligarch. Got it.

As for news being news, that's what wire services are for. There's a reason Greenwald doesn't work for Reuters or AP.

So you can sell your countrymen to the highest bidder, just as long as that high bidder is an American oligarch. Got it.

As for news being news, that's what wire services are for. There's a reason Greenwald doesn't work for Reuters or AP.
    You can also, you know, have some fucking morals and not sell at all.

P.S. I have perused Mr Jilani’s list of work briefly. I agree with you. That seems like someone to be promoted as “the right way to do it”
    Last edited by erichkknaar; June 6 2018 at 06:31:09 AM.
    meh

You can also, you know, have some fucking morals and be poor.

Not if you want to be an elected Democrat, apparently.

Not if you want to be an elected Democrat, apparently.
    I note with some distaste that Feinstein sailed through our primaries.
    meh

Of course she did.

She'll die in office. So will Pelosi, probably. I'm still amazed Barbara Boxer retired.