hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2434 of 2466 FirstFirst ... 1434193423342384242424312432243324342435243624372444 ... LastLast
Results 48,661 to 48,680 of 49301

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Anyone blathering on about America being a "broken society" is so privileged they should send themselves to an actually broken society to learn a thing or two. America has deep problems but it's very much functioning. Ironically the lefties there are the ones most ignoring the immigrants they're always fighting for. Those people will tell you what broken means.
    It's a "broken society" by its own standards. Standards that it even applies to other countries in judgement. Of course talking in absolutes, there are way more broken societies. But given the overly bright picture the U.S. paints of itself and looking from the outside, it's not what it looks like today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Anyone blathering on about America being a "broken society" is so privileged they should send themselves to an actually broken society to learn a thing or two. America has deep problems but it's very much functioning. Ironically the lefties there are the ones most ignoring the immigrants they're always fighting for. Those people will tell you what broken means.
    It's a "broken society" by its own standards. Standards that it even applies to other countries in judgement. Of course talking in absolutes, there are way more broken societies. But given the overly bright picture the U.S. paints of itself and looking from the outside, it's not what it looks like today.
    Yea fuck all those poor inner city blacks and rural white populations living on the brink of extreme poverty, how dare they say it's broken. Fucking privileged assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Yea fuck all those poor inner city blacks and rural white populations living on the brink of extreme poverty, how dare they say it's broken. Fucking privileged assholes.
    QFT (both times)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Can't be poor with basic cable!

/s
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Good thread, keep it up

Last edited by XenosisMk4; June 4 2018 at 12:36:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Dude, liberals *invented* the police.
    I’m pretty sure the concept of police has existed a long time before the concept of liberal.
    Not sure whether to put this into the Germany/EU thread or here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44352779

Richard Grenell, US envoy to Germany, wants to 'empower' Europe's right
    Ambassador Grenell has been appointed a month ago and has given an interview to Breitbart where he said the above. Now that would be totally fine for a politician in the US to say. But for a diplomat, it's a huge no-go.

The Guardian has a better overview of what makes this so outrageous.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...htwing-support

“In the past, Germany was fortunate to have had great US ambassadors who built bridges and did not do party politics,” said Metin Hakverdi‪, a Social Democrat delegate and member of the German-US parliamentary friendship group.

“As a member of the SPD, a left party with a long proud legacy of fighting, together with the United States, both Nazis and communists, I am irritated to hear from ambassador Grenell about our allegedly failed policies.

“US Senator Chris Murphy said rightly that ambassadors are not supposed to ‘empower’ political parties. Ambassador Grenell is new on his post and I hope this irritation will not be repeated.”

A spokesperson for the German foreign ministry said on Monday that his office had asked Breitbart to confirm the authenticity of Grenell’s comments and that the US ambassador would be expected to “explain what he meant” during his first official visit to the foreign ministry on Thursday.
    nevar forget

Kick the 5th columnist turd out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Who? The SPD dude?

Who? The SPD dude?
    Ah damn, your initial typo of SDP was great:

And no, we obviously mean the US ambassador. If he keeps it up, he may actually get the boot. He has been summoned to the foreign ministry to explain himself.
    nevar forget

Supreme Court rulings inbound:

Court rules FOR the "No Gay Cake Baker" : https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/04/polit...urt/index.html

The court held that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed hostility toward the baker based on his religious beliefs. The ruling is a win for baker Jack Phillips, who cited his beliefs as a Christian, but leaves unsettled broader constitutional questions on religious liberty. The ruling was 7-2.

"Jack serves all customers; he simply declines to express messages or celebrate events that violate his deeply held beliefs," Waggoner said in a statement. "Creative professionals who serve all people should be free to create art consistent with their convictions without the threat of government punishment."
    No precedent set looks like, very narrow ruling.
    Last edited by Alistair; June 4 2018 at 04:32:06 PM.

Tbh, I think the wedding cake case is a little different than being refused at a restaurant or lunch counter. Being forced to create "art" you disagree with isn't the same as making a sandwich for someone you don't like.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Tbh, I think the wedding cake case is a little different than being refused at a restaurant or lunch counter. Being forced to create "art" you disagree with isn't the same as making a sandwich for someone you don't like.
    Would have been nice if the Court had really ruled on that aspect. Not sure I agree, and where does/should the law draw the line? If you call them "Burger Artists" can a Burger shop discriminate? I would strongly say no.

In this case, the baker apparently did serve homosexuals etc. equally in all ways OTHER than writing on the cakes. And writing is often considered protected speech regardless.

In any event it'd be good to have that discussion and save the taxpayer a dozen future lawsuits on it by settling the law.

But it seems from the reading that this is more about the civil servants in CO basically blowing off the bakers religious liberty concerns thus (ironically) discriminating against him, the baker. Which the State cannot do on religious grounds.

Seems like we're going to have to wait for the next case (if then) before the issue gets some form of settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Who? The SPD dude?

And no, we obviously mean the US ambassador. If he keeps it up, he may actually get the boot. He has been summoned to the foreign ministry to explain himself.
    I'm quick with the ninja edits.

And obviously I know you meant the ambassador. But... Wer hat uns verraten?

Last edited by Lachesis VII; June 4 2018 at 05:05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Would have been nice if the Court had really ruled on that aspect. Not sure I agree, and where does/should the law draw the line? If you call them "Burger Artists" can a Burger shop discriminate? I would strongly say no.

In this case, the baker apparently did serve homosexuals etc. equally in all ways OTHER than writing on the cakes. And writing is often considered protected speech regardless.

In any event it'd be good to have that discussion and save the taxpayer a dozen future lawsuits on it by settling the law.

But it seems from the reading that this is more about the civil servants in CO basically blowing off the bakers religious liberty concerns thus (ironically) discriminating against him, the baker. Which the State cannot do on religious grounds.

Seems like we're going to have to wait for the next case (if then) before the issue gets some form of settled.
    Yeah, this is more about how the state handled it than the bigger issue.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Who? The SPD dude?

I'm quick with the ninja edits.

And obviously I know you meant the ambassador. But... Wer hat uns verraten?

I wanted to link that video. You sneaky git! Props though for your knowledge of Marc-Uwe Kling and the quote.

Speaking of that quote, please don't leave out the second part:

‚Wer hat uns verraten?
    Die Sozialdemokraten!
    Wer macht uns frei?
    Die Kommunistische Partei!‘
    Who has betrayed us?
    The social-democrats!
    Who will free us?
    The communist party!
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roter_...werbslosenwehr
    nevar forget

if you stuffed a en. on it instead of that de. people might actually get what you're talking about.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Right, but I figured the rest was implied.

Really, killing Rosa and Karl was a dick move.

Google translate provided. I found this part to interesting.

One of them opens the bourgeois press, where the flies are caught like a flypaper. Underneath it says
    , 'Do not you want to go to the glue, like these flies, then read the Hamburger Volkszeitung!' "
    So it really wouldn’t have taken long at all for the intellectuals to get sent to the glue factory if the other side of the authoritarian coin hadn’t risen first.
    meh

Why are you conflating bourgeois and intellectual?

There's some overlap but it's not universal.

Not all intellectuals are bourgeois (in fact I'd say a minority are), and not all bourgeoisie are intellectuals (why would you have to be?)

Why are you conflating bourgeois and intellectual?

There's some overlap but it's not universal.

Not all intellectuals are bourgeois (in fact I'd say a minority are), and not all bourgeoisie are intellectuals (why would you have to be?)
    It's a convenient strawman
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.