hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2344 of 2660 FirstFirst ... 134418442244229423342341234223432344234523462347235423942444 ... LastLast
Results 46,861 to 46,880 of 53194

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #46861
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    14,386
    You know, the smarncas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  2. #46862
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    The ~35% of the country that wept for joy when they were finally given an openly racist president will never, ever admit that he's done any wrong, and any attempt to hold him responsible for his crimes will always be "witch hunting" to those people.
    A few years ago, this is exactly what every far-right loon said (about Obama), literally to the letter.

    It's amazing how often you unknowingly quote, nearly verbatim, far-right-wing people Malc.


  3. #46863
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    10,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    The ~35% of the country that wept for joy when they were finally given an openly racist president will never, ever admit that he's done any wrong, and any attempt to hold him responsible for his crimes will always be "witch hunting" to those people.
    A few years ago, this is exactly what every far-right loon said (about Obama), literally to the letter.

    It's amazing how often you unknowingly quote, nearly verbatim, far-right-wing people Malc.
    Except Obama's crime, at that point, was being black, and possibly a "Keenyan Mooslim".
    meh

  4. #46864
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,319
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    The ~35% of the country that wept for joy when they were finally given an openly racist president will never, ever admit that he's done any wrong, and any attempt to hold him responsible for his crimes will always be "witch hunting" to those people.
    A few years ago, this is exactly what every far-right loon said (about Obama), literally to the letter.

    It's amazing how often you unknowingly quote, nearly verbatim, far-right-wing people Malc.
    Except Obama's crime, at that point, was being black, and possibly a "Keenyan Mooslim".
    I wasn't making a comparison of validity.

    I'm happy to leave that to others, my deep and unrelenting dislike and disdain for Trump should at the point be clear.

    None-the-less, hearing verbatim the talking points I heard from the Mark Levin's and Rush Limpballs and their many followers just a few years ago, but now coming from Malc's mouth, is....at least.....slightly entertaining.

    Me? I'm hoping we don't wind up starting World War III (or is it IV?) in Syria. I'm hoping we get our asses out of Syria asap, and out of that whole damned region asap.

    I am happy to lose "prestige" and let China, or Russia or the EU handle Syria from here out. We clearly have no talent at it, and it could be a spark that lights something truly bad. Fuck that, time to get out.
    Last edited by Alistair; April 9 2018 at 06:46:12 PM.


  5. #46865
    Joe Appleby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    in front of the class
    Posts
    14,283
    I was always perplexed that the people that told me "you don't criticize a president during a war" in 2001, were among the most vocal critics of Obama.

    American's manage some incredible mental gymnastics.

    You know, you couldn't really argue with someone saying "I don't like foreigners for no reason." But people always say things like "I don't like foreigners because they take our jerbs." The first is hard to argue against, the latter is just too fucking simple to counter.
    nevar forget

  6. #46866

  7. #46867
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,023
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43706709

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    The FBI have raided the offices of Michael Cohen, the long-time personal lawyer for US President Donald Trump.

    Law enforcement acted on a "referral" from Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating suspected Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

    Officials in New York seized "privileged communications" between Mr Cohen and his clients, his lawyer said in a statement after the raid.

    Documents regarding a payment to a porn actress were also seized, US media say.

  8. #46868
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,319
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43706709

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    The FBI have raided the offices of Michael Cohen, the long-time personal lawyer for US President Donald Trump.

    Law enforcement acted on a "referral" from Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating suspected Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

    Officials in New York seized "privileged communications" between Mr Cohen and his clients, his lawyer said in a statement after the raid.

    Documents regarding a payment to a porn actress were also seized, US media say.
    Was inevitable tbqh.

    Gonna be interesting to see how Trump reacts.


  9. #46869
    Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43706709

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    The FBI have raided the offices of Michael Cohen, the long-time personal lawyer for US President Donald Trump.

    Law enforcement acted on a "referral" from Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating suspected Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

    Officials in New York seized "privileged communications" between Mr Cohen and his clients, his lawyer said in a statement after the raid.

    Documents regarding a payment to a porn actress were also seized, US media say.
    Was inevitable tbqh.

    Gonna be interesting to see how Trump reacts.
    probably with 280 characters of angry words, as is befitting for the president of the most powerful country in the world.

  10. #46870
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    13,319
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43706709

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    The FBI have raided the offices of Michael Cohen, the long-time personal lawyer for US President Donald Trump.

    Law enforcement acted on a "referral" from Special Counsel Robert Mueller, who is investigating suspected Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

    Officials in New York seized "privileged communications" between Mr Cohen and his clients, his lawyer said in a statement after the raid.

    Documents regarding a payment to a porn actress were also seized, US media say.
    Was inevitable tbqh.

    Gonna be interesting to see how Trump reacts.
    probably with 280 characters of angry words, as is befitting for the president of the most powerful country in the world.










  11. #46871

    Join Date
    July 14, 2013
    Posts
    1,648
    Well, this'll be fun. On the one hand, there's every chance Trump will go after Mueller for this.

    On the other hand, the kind of evidence you have to put in front of a judge to get them to sign a no-knock warrant for an attorney's office is ridiculous.

    The fact that this happened at all is kind of incredible.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

  12. #46872
    Omega Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,485

  13. #46873
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    4,663
    There's a whole phenomenology around pro trump internet communities when a new scandal breaks:

    Denial (attacking sources or waiting for more confirmation)

    Panic (anxiety responses: combatitive, fearful, reactionary but context free)

    Deflection (Why another issue is more important or why this isn't a big deal)

    Russian twitter sphere and Sarah Sanders deliver the talking points for internet discourse until the next scandal)

  14. #46874

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    6,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    ...a no-knock warrant for an attorney's office is ridiculous.
    And his home. And the hotel he was living in while his home was repaired due to a broken pipe.

    Yeah.

  15. #46875

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,187
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    ...a no-knock warrant for an attorney's office is ridiculous.
    And his home. And the hotel he was living in while his home was repaired due to a broken pipe.

    Yeah.
    I imagine they must have already found something goddamn serious to get the right to all of that.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  16. #46876

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    6,499
    Well the procedure to get such a warrant seems to involve a plethora of prerequisites including:
    - Exhausting all reasonable alternatives
    - Authorization from the US Attorney
    - Agreement from the DoJ's criminal division
    - Plans to ensure all seized materials are vetted for privilege prior to consideration in any criminal proceedings
    etc. etc.

    And then you get to convince the judge.

    I'm sure Cohen is currently hoping his own lawyer is a better lawyer than he is, because that strikes me as a damned high barrier.

  17. #46877

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,187
    Yeah doesn't strike me as something you even try to go for, let alone get granted without some goddamn good suspicions.

    Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

  18. #46878
    Frug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    13,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Me? I'm hoping we don't wind up starting World War III (or is it IV?) in Syria.
    Nobody's starting ww3 over Syria.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

  19. #46879
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,997
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    I'm sure Cohen is currently hoping his own lawyer is a better lawyer than he is, because that strikes me as a damned high barrier.
    M.A.G.A.

    Make Attorneys Get Attornyes
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  20. #46880
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,456

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •