hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2426 of 2469 FirstFirst ... 1426192623262376241624232424242524262427242824292436 ... LastLast
Results 48,501 to 48,520 of 49363

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #48501
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,834
    I guess the fact that she assaults the cop and then resists arrest means the cops should just say "oh, teen age girl, can't do anything."
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  2. #48502
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London (Silphe ingame)
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

    Put it this way: i used to live in West Africa, for about 8 years. At this point, having been back very recently, i'd pick Ghana over the states simply because at least i know what i'm getting.
    You could probably make a better point without the "ghana over states" thing. Yes we have serious problems, but addressing them honestly is important. Serving up a main course of hyperbole with a side of moral superiority does not do that.

    What really irritates people about America - highlighted regularly in this thread - is that you guys hold yourselves out to be something you're wholly not.

    - No universal healthcare.
    - A police state enamoured with the possession and personal use of high-powered firearms.
    - Deeply entrenched racial divides.
    - A society that hero-worships a professional military.
    - An institutionally racist law enforcement complex.

    This contrasts with what you purport to offer: free speech in its totality / the undefinable "American Dream"

    What you offer has been found to not measure up anymore and that's why people are hating on you. You don't need to have direct experience of being an "American" to understand why a hyper-racialised police state is a bad thing.
    Many of us are aware of these problems. Do you want to discuss them or talk down to us?

    We have a loud minority that sticks together on these issues and either wants everything to regress, or keep things where they are. But many states and cities are also trying to do better.

    It's a fucking lazy argument to disregard our points simply because we're not American - do you realise that it's that type of arrogance that makes people jump down your throat? Some of us have directly experienced far worse examples of what your country is now leaning towards and that's why we feel compelled to comment.
    People make comments all the time about Americans sticking their nose in others business. Which one is everyone supposed to do?
    I haven't made that comment, seems irrelevant to my point.

    I'm all for discussion, my point was that it's hard to have a discussion when you present objective facts backed up by evidence and then someone (tbh it's pretty much Alistair and to a lesser extent Erich, so i'm sorry for tarring you all with the same brush) just abrogates by saying 'oh well you're not American so you couldn't understand'.

  3. #48503
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London (Silphe ingame)
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    I guess the fact that she assaults the cop and then resists arrest means the cops should just say "oh, teen age girl, can't do anything."

    You think a reasonable response is punching a teenage girl twice in the head?

    See, this is the sort of attitude that people outside of the US hate - that shit is fucking indefensible. There is no counterargument here - she's a fucking teenage girl.

    Christ what mental gymnastics does one have to do to arrive at: ah well she assaulted the officer so let's punch her twice in the head.

  4. #48504
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    I guess the fact that she assaults the cop and then resists arrest means the cops should just say "oh, teen age girl, can't do anything."
    do you not see something wrong with the way policing is done in that video?

    First you have multiple 80-100k/year cops trolling the beaches for underage drinking. A 19 year old drinking on the beach is a moral panic on par with D&D causing satanism

    Then the guy loses his temper and punches her in the head several times while restraining her.

    I'm not sure why people think thats okay

  5. #48505

    Join Date
    May 31, 2011
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    America is a broken society.
    Thread really should renamed "European View on Broken America (Politics & Bad Shit) Thread" at this point tbqh.
    Nah, I’ve lived outside of the EU for a long time and have been to the states a lot.
    Because such a rename would be about you, specifically, amirite?

    Even then, you are a European (now living elsewhere) and you're not an American (tourism doesn't count), so the rename would still be apt.

    I wonder, how many born in America, raised in America, actual Americans DO we have at FHC (and this thread specifically)?

    I'd wager it's a minority of participants.
    Put it this way: i used to live in West Africa, for about 8 years. At this point, having been back very recently, i'd pick Ghana over the states simply because at least i know what i'm getting.

    What really irritates people about America - highlighted regularly in this thread - is that you guys hold yourselves out to be something you're wholly not.

    - No universal healthcare.
    - A police state enamoured with the possession and personal use of high-powered firearms.
    - Deeply entrenched racial divides.
    - A society that hero-worships a professional military.
    - An institutionally racist law enforcement complex.

    This contrasts with what you purport to offer: free speech in its totality / the undefinable "American Dream"

    What you offer has been found to not measure up anymore and that's why people are hating on you. You don't need to have direct experience of being an "American" to understand why a hyper-racialised police state is a bad thing.

    It's a fucking lazy argument to disregard our points simply because we're not American - do you realise that it's that type of arrogance that makes people jump down your throat? Some of us have directly experienced far worse examples of what your country is now leaning towards and that's why we feel compelled to comment.

    hth
    To add to this (which I agree mostly with): I've been on vacation to the U.S. more than half a dozen times. One of the most perplexing parts of my "everyday life experience" has been the lack of international news. In Germany (and I guess it's the same in other countries), the amount of news about the U.S. is quite extensive. As is the reporting about China and Russia. That's because if these powers do something somwhere on the globe, it often has affects here, too. That's why it's newsworthy. So even while not being an U.S. American, I personally know more about the U.S. than I know about any other country in the world except about my home country.

  6. #48506
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    America is a broken society.
    Thread really should renamed "European View on Broken America (Politics & Bad Shit) Thread" at this point tbqh.
    Nah, I’ve lived outside of the EU for a long time and have been to the states a lot.
    Because such a rename would be about you, specifically, amirite?

    Even then, you are a European (now living elsewhere) and you're not an American (tourism doesn't count), so the rename would still be apt.

    I wonder, how many born in America, raised in America, actual Americans DO we have at FHC (and this thread specifically)?

    I'd wager it's a minority of participants.
    Put it this way: i used to live in West Africa, for about 8 years. At this point, having been back very recently, i'd pick Ghana over the states simply because at least i know what i'm getting.

    What really irritates people about America - highlighted regularly in this thread - is that you guys hold yourselves out to be something you're wholly not.

    - No universal healthcare.
    - A police state enamoured with the possession and personal use of high-powered firearms.
    - Deeply entrenched racial divides.
    - A society that hero-worships a professional military.
    - An institutionally racist law enforcement complex.

    This contrasts with what you purport to offer: free speech in its totality / the undefinable "American Dream"

    What you offer has been found to not measure up anymore and that's why people are hating on you. You don't need to have direct experience of being an "American" to understand why a hyper-racialised police state is a bad thing.

    It's a fucking lazy argument to disregard our points simply because we're not American - do you realise that it's that type of arrogance that makes people jump down your throat? Some of us have directly experienced far worse examples of what your country is now leaning towards and that's why we feel compelled to comment.

    hth
    America has a number of serious problems, of that there can be no disagreement. They're worthy of discussion, even if FHC is hardly the place (or the people) who will have a hand in solving them.

    With that said, posts like yours show me exactly how little some of you actually know about life here, and how quick you are to soak in and accept as universal truth every negative story published on the states.

    I'm didn't suggest the rename (and I was having a laugh anyway, to be clear) to tell you the non-Americans here can't have a thread to bash the U.S. all day long if they like.

    I suggested it to more accurately reflect that almost every one of us is a European by birth and/or culture/upbringing, and that very few of us have actually lived in the States for any extended, meaningful amount of time.

    If that observation offends you Djan, I'm sorry.

    Enjoy Ghana.


  7. #48507
    Bartholomeus Crane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,452
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Some of us have directly experienced far worse examples of what your country is now leaning towards and that's why we feel compelled to comment.
    QFT

    Let's face it, the American Empire is crumbling. If this continues, and it looks like it will, it is in a terminal death spiral. Previously I would have found that idea hyperbolic, but now, with Trump, not so much. Every time a Democratic president is in the white house he tries his damnest to revert the trend (which less and less effect), but then a GOP president inevitably shows up and does his damnest to revert all that has been achieved, and turn the US into an even greater shithole than it already was.

    Just look at the recents:
    Trump (GOP); is in only in for a year and a half, but has already caused massive damage, that will take years, if not decades to undo. His one legislative 'achievement' alone is a massive handout to the rich, for negligible economic benefit, that will cause US borrowing to explode in the years to come, with comparable effects on it's budget. And he's picked fights with everyone, including the US's closest allies. I thought Bush was the worst president ever, but this guy surpassed his record in this first year of his time in office. And there's more, much more to come.
    Obama (Dem); was basically blackballed for 6 out of his 8 years, but in the first two he brought medical insurance to millions, restored a cratered US (and global) economy, and mended a shitload of diplomatic fences all over the world. Had it not been for outright obstruction by the GOP, he could have been a great president.
    Bush Jr. (GOP); OMG, where to begin: botched the 9/11 response, botched Katrina, skewered education for a decade, started and then botched a war in Afghanistan, started an illegal war in Iraq, botched that too, illegally kidnapped so-called terrorists from all over the place, diplomatically pissed off half, if not the whole, world, and then presided over a crash of the global economy, the effects of which are still felt to this day.
    Clinton (Dem); Turned round the US economy, put the government budget in the black for the first time since who-knows-when, mended diplomatic fences (again), and strengthened and expanded upon the US's global position.

    Now, I could go on, and include Reagan (saddled the US with massive debt and a huge military-industrial complex; also Iran-Contra scandal), or Nixon (nuff-said, really), but I think you get the picture.

    And this is not to say that those Dem presidents never did something stupid, or never made mistakes, or, even, things I don't agree with. They did. Or that those GOP presidents never did something good, or things I do agree with. They did that too.

    But the balance for the Dem presidents is at least somewhat positive; while for the GOP presidents it's just massively negative. And worsening. It is no longer one step forward, two steps back; by now it's three steps back, and with Trump a damned race to the rear ffs. And this isn't just for me; although, unfortunately, it does, affect me. It is for the US as a nation, and for it's people too. As well, unfortunately enough, for the world at large.

    It is truly a very strange situation. Because there is absolutely no need for this whatsoever. The US is big, has lots of resources, would have still had plenty of friends from the past, and, generally speaking, great people. It could be big, powerful, and generally a great benefactor to all freedom and peace-loving peoples of the world. Instead it has one political party that seems almost hellbent on running all that, including the US itself, straight into the ground, in ever more violent and out-of-control gyrations. Almost as if they are willing it to blow up; and with the largest stockpile of nuclear weapons, the planet with it.

    Now, other countries have issues, some more, and bigger ones than others. And the US too had issues, some quite big ones as well. But at least with most, they're at least trying to make progress solving them. And most have. Not so, it seems, the US, especially with the GOP in charge. It's like they're asking you to hold their beer for a bit, while they fuck up not just their own country, but basically everything they can lay their hands on. Just like that. And then if you say something about it, they're to be pitied as the obvious victim of hatred and persecution. Meanwhile the American Empire keeps on crumbling.

    I have to say, it is truly a mesmerising thing to behold.

    Perhaps, maybe, if more Americans get exposed to the viewpoints of others who are not, you know, 'living in the bubble', they might, you know, learn something? Or am I too optimistic here? You know, taking Alistair as an example ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

  8. #48508
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London (Silphe ingame)
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    America is a broken society.
    Thread really should renamed "European View on Broken America (Politics & Bad Shit) Thread" at this point tbqh.
    Nah, I’ve lived outside of the EU for a long time and have been to the states a lot.
    Because such a rename would be about you, specifically, amirite?

    Even then, you are a European (now living elsewhere) and you're not an American (tourism doesn't count), so the rename would still be apt.

    I wonder, how many born in America, raised in America, actual Americans DO we have at FHC (and this thread specifically)?

    I'd wager it's a minority of participants.
    Put it this way: i used to live in West Africa, for about 8 years. At this point, having been back very recently, i'd pick Ghana over the states simply because at least i know what i'm getting.

    What really irritates people about America - highlighted regularly in this thread - is that you guys hold yourselves out to be something you're wholly not.

    - No universal healthcare.
    - A police state enamoured with the possession and personal use of high-powered firearms.
    - Deeply entrenched racial divides.
    - A society that hero-worships a professional military.
    - An institutionally racist law enforcement complex.

    This contrasts with what you purport to offer: free speech in its totality / the undefinable "American Dream"

    What you offer has been found to not measure up anymore and that's why people are hating on you. You don't need to have direct experience of being an "American" to understand why a hyper-racialised police state is a bad thing.

    It's a fucking lazy argument to disregard our points simply because we're not American - do you realise that it's that type of arrogance that makes people jump down your throat? Some of us have directly experienced far worse examples of what your country is now leaning towards and that's why we feel compelled to comment.

    hth
    America has a number of serious problems, of that there can be no disagreement. They're worthy of discussion, even if FHC is hardly the place (or the people) who will have a hand in solving them.

    With that said, posts like yours show me exactly how little some of you actually know about life here, and how quick you are to soak in and accept as universal truth every negative story published on the states.

    I'm didn't suggest the rename (and I was having a laugh anyway, to be clear) to tell you the non-Americans here can't have a thread to bash the U.S. all day long if they like.

    I suggested it to more accurately reflect that almost every one of us is a European by birth and/or culture/upbringing, and that very few of us have actually lived in the States for any extended, meaningful amount of time.

    If that observation offends you Djan, I'm sorry.

    Enjoy Ghana.

    It doesn't offend me, i just find your approach lazy. What you say doesn't tally with what my American friends say, for what it's worth.

    Maybe some of what i wrote was hyperbole, but there are some hard nuggets of truth that are simply facts; the disgusting juxtaposition between a hero-worshipped, massively inflated military and the lack of universal healthcare being one of those truths.

  9. #48509
    Bartholomeus Crane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,452
    I made this argument before, but; let's have a look at the current GOP, and specifically Trump (the GOP American incarnate), shall we:

    1. Cult of tradition; check
    2. Rejection of modernism; check
    3. Action for action's sake; check
    4. Disagreement is treason; check
    5. Fear of difference; check
    6. Appeal to a frustrated middle class; check
    7. Obsession with a plot; check
    8. Humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies; check
    9. Life is permanent warfare; check
    10. Contempt for the weak; check
    11. Everybody is educated to become a hero; check
    12. Transfers his will to power to sexual matters; check
    13. Against "rotten" parliamentary governments; check
    14. Makes use of an impoverished vocabulary; check

    What are these the 14 characteristics of then? Well: ahum ...

    Also this ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

  10. #48510
    jimmychrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31, 2011
    Posts
    739
    The beach is no place to get a buzz on, that's what drunk driving is for

    America

    Shit it

  11. #48511

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    10,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    I made this argument before, but; let's have a look at the current GOP, and specifically Trump (the GOP American incarnate), shall we:

    1. Cult of tradition; check
    2. Rejection of modernism; check
    3. Action for action's sake; check
    4. Disagreement is treason; check
    5. Fear of difference; check
    6. Appeal to a frustrated middle class; check
    7. Obsession with a plot; check
    8. Humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies; check
    9. Life is permanent warfare; check
    10. Contempt for the weak; check
    11. Everybody is educated to become a hero; check
    12. Transfers his will to power to sexual matters; check
    13. Against "rotten" parliamentary governments; check
    14. Makes use of an impoverished vocabulary; check

    What are these the 14 characteristics of then? Well: ahum ...

    Also this ...
    In b4 "stop calling us fascists you're missing the point"

  12. #48512
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    I made this argument before, but; let's have a look at the current GOP, and specifically Trump (the GOP American incarnate), shall we:

    1. Cult of tradition; check
    2. Rejection of modernism; check
    3. Action for action's sake; check
    4. Disagreement is treason; check
    5. Fear of difference; check
    6. Appeal to a frustrated middle class; check
    7. Obsession with a plot; check
    8. Humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies; check
    9. Life is permanent warfare; check
    10. Contempt for the weak; check
    11. Everybody is educated to become a hero; check
    12. Transfers his will to power to sexual matters; check
    13. Against "rotten" parliamentary governments; check
    14. Makes use of an impoverished vocabulary; check

    What are these the 14 characteristics of then? Well: ahum ...

    Also this ...
    In b4 "stop calling us fascists you're missing the point"
    He kind of does?

    I'd argue that fascism thrives when all the choices are different shades of shit.

    While the democrats aren't as short sighted or dishonest, the GOP certainly does not have a monopoly on corporate PACs, insider politics, or blindness to class.

    People who are unaffiliated by party have jumped up in the past 10 years. Its clear that many people feel alienated from the current strand of politics. This is dangerous, and its not the fault of only the GOP

  13. #48513
    thebomby's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    6,883
    That girl, brat or not, being beaten by two cops after being given a breathalyser test on a fucking beach, of all fucking places, is so far over the top, it makes me think Saudi Arabia is soon going to be more liberal than the US.
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

  14. #48514
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    1,700
    Dude, liberals *invented* the police.

  15. #48515
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    6,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Dude, liberals *invented* the police.
    WOKE LIBERTARIANISM

  16. #48516
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London (Silphe ingame)
    Posts
    3,140
    so woke

  17. #48517
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    America is a broken society.
    Thread really should renamed "European View on Broken America (Politics & Bad Shit) Thread" at this point tbqh.
    Nah, I’ve lived outside of the EU for a long time and have been to the states a lot.
    Because such a rename would be about you, specifically, amirite?

    Even then, you are a European (now living elsewhere) and you're not an American (tourism doesn't count), so the rename would still be apt.

    I wonder, how many born in America, raised in America, actual Americans DO we have at FHC (and this thread specifically)?

    I'd wager it's a minority of participants.
    Put it this way: i used to live in West Africa, for about 8 years. At this point, having been back very recently, i'd pick Ghana over the states simply because at least i know what i'm getting.

    What really irritates people about America - highlighted regularly in this thread - is that you guys hold yourselves out to be something you're wholly not.

    - No universal healthcare.
    - A police state enamoured with the possession and personal use of high-powered firearms.
    - Deeply entrenched racial divides.
    - A society that hero-worships a professional military.
    - An institutionally racist law enforcement complex.

    This contrasts with what you purport to offer: free speech in its totality / the undefinable "American Dream"

    What you offer has been found to not measure up anymore and that's why people are hating on you. You don't need to have direct experience of being an "American" to understand why a hyper-racialised police state is a bad thing.

    It's a fucking lazy argument to disregard our points simply because we're not American - do you realise that it's that type of arrogance that makes people jump down your throat? Some of us have directly experienced far worse examples of what your country is now leaning towards and that's why we feel compelled to comment.

    hth
    America has a number of serious problems, of that there can be no disagreement. They're worthy of discussion, even if FHC is hardly the place (or the people) who will have a hand in solving them.

    With that said, posts like yours show me exactly how little some of you actually know about life here, and how quick you are to soak in and accept as universal truth every negative story published on the states.

    I'm didn't suggest the rename (and I was having a laugh anyway, to be clear) to tell you the non-Americans here can't have a thread to bash the U.S. all day long if they like.

    I suggested it to more accurately reflect that almost every one of us is a European by birth and/or culture/upbringing, and that very few of us have actually lived in the States for any extended, meaningful amount of time.

    If that observation offends you Djan, I'm sorry.

    Enjoy Ghana.

    It doesn't offend me, i just find your approach lazy. What you say doesn't tally with what my American friends say, for what it's worth.

    Maybe some of what i wrote was hyperbole, but there are some hard nuggets of truth that are simply facts; the disgusting juxtaposition between a hero-worshipped, massively inflated military and the lack of universal healthcare being one of those truths.
    I think we could have a very interesting conversation about what your friends say.

    Let me be clear tho, what you said wasn't hyperbole, the problems you listed are spot on and valid, legitimate issues that need to be tackled/addressed/discussed.

    What I am saying is that reading the news (especially nowadays) and looking at summary statistics is often misleading to what real life is like for the majority of people.


  18. #48518
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    1,700
    But alistair, your experiences are not representative of the majority. How would you know?

  19. #48519
    Bartholomeus Crane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    7,452
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    I made this argument before, but; let's have a look at the current GOP, and specifically Trump (the GOP American incarnate), shall we:

    1. Cult of tradition; check
    2. Rejection of modernism; check
    3. Action for action's sake; check
    4. Disagreement is treason; check
    5. Fear of difference; check
    6. Appeal to a frustrated middle class; check
    7. Obsession with a plot; check
    8. Humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies; check
    9. Life is permanent warfare; check
    10. Contempt for the weak; check
    11. Everybody is educated to become a hero; check
    12. Transfers his will to power to sexual matters; check
    13. Against "rotten" parliamentary governments; check
    14. Makes use of an impoverished vocabulary; check

    What are these the 14 characteristics of then? Well: ahum ...

    Also this ...
    In b4 "stop calling us fascists you're missing the point"
    He kind of does?

    I'd argue that fascism thrives when all the choices are different shades of shit.

    While the democrats aren't as short sighted or dishonest, the GOP certainly does not have a monopoly on corporate PACs, insider politics, or blindness to class.

    People who are unaffiliated by party have jumped up in the past 10 years. Its clear that many people feel alienated from the current strand of politics. This is dangerous, and its not the fault of only the GOP
    Ofcourse I am calling the GOP and Trump fascists! If I look at Umberto Eco's 14 way of looking at Fascism, and then look at the GOP, and especially Trump's GOP, I see a match that's pretty much perfect. Trump isn't like Hitler, Trump is like Mussolini. He even retweets his quotes!

    And that is a scary thing. And being told 'You're not American, you can't comment' doesn't cut it. It is, as said, not just a lazy argument, it is dangerous in itself. Much of the world looked away during the rise of Fascism in the 30ies, and it got us the most devastating war humankind has ever seen. Now Fascism is raising it's ugly head again in the GOP and Trump, and this time in the most powerful country in the world. We can't afford to look away again: we must dissent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

  20. #48520

    Join Date
    December 20, 2013
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    America is a broken society.
    Thread really should renamed "European View on Broken America (Politics & Bad Shit) Thread" at this point tbqh.
    Nah, I’ve lived outside of the EU for a long time and have been to the states a lot.
    Because such a rename would be about you, specifically, amirite?

    Even then, you are a European (now living elsewhere) and you're not an American (tourism doesn't count), so the rename would still be apt.

    I wonder, how many born in America, raised in America, actual Americans DO we have at FHC (and this thread specifically)?

    I'd wager it's a minority of participants.
    Put it this way: i used to live in West Africa, for about 8 years. At this point, having been back very recently, i'd pick Ghana over the states simply because at least i know what i'm getting.

    What really irritates people about America - highlighted regularly in this thread - is that you guys hold yourselves out to be something you're wholly not.

    - No universal healthcare.
    - A police state enamoured with the possession and personal use of high-powered firearms.
    - Deeply entrenched racial divides.
    - A society that hero-worships a professional military.
    - An institutionally racist law enforcement complex.

    This contrasts with what you purport to offer: free speech in its totality / the undefinable "American Dream"

    What you offer has been found to not measure up anymore and that's why people are hating on you. You don't need to have direct experience of being an "American" to understand why a hyper-racialised police state is a bad thing.

    It's a fucking lazy argument to disregard our points simply because we're not American - do you realise that it's that type of arrogance that makes people jump down your throat? Some of us have directly experienced far worse examples of what your country is now leaning towards and that's why we feel compelled to comment.

    hth
    America has a number of serious problems, of that there can be no disagreement. They're worthy of discussion, even if FHC is hardly the place (or the people) who will have a hand in solving them.

    With that said, posts like yours show me exactly how little some of you actually know about life here, and how quick you are to soak in and accept as universal truth every negative story published on the states.

    I'm didn't suggest the rename (and I was having a laugh anyway, to be clear) to tell you the non-Americans here can't have a thread to bash the U.S. all day long if they like.

    I suggested it to more accurately reflect that almost every one of us is a European by birth and/or culture/upbringing, and that very few of us have actually lived in the States for any extended, meaningful amount of time.

    If that observation offends you Djan, I'm sorry.

    Enjoy Ghana.

    It doesn't offend me, i just find your approach lazy. What you say doesn't tally with what my American friends say, for what it's worth.

    Maybe some of what i wrote was hyperbole, but there are some hard nuggets of truth that are simply facts; the disgusting juxtaposition between a hero-worshipped, massively inflated military and the lack of universal healthcare being one of those truths.
    I think we could have a very interesting conversation about what your friends say.

    Let me be clear tho, what you said wasn't hyperbole, the problems you listed are spot on and valid, legitimate issues that need to be tackled/addressed/discussed.

    What I am saying is that reading the news (especially nowadays) and looking at summary statistics is often misleading to what real life is like for the majority of people.
    I just need to point out: if the statistics say "a majority of people in America experience XYZ", then that actually is what things are like for the majority. Doesn't matter whether you and those you know are part of that majority or not.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •