hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2406 of 2708 FirstFirst ... 140619062306235623962403240424052406240724082409241624562506 ... LastLast
Results 48,101 to 48,120 of 54143

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...causing-higher

A Republican lawmaker on the House Science, Space and Technology Committee said Thursday that rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover and the California coastline, as well as silt from rivers tumbling into the ocean, are contributing to high sea levels globally.

We have the best scientists folks, the best people on the committee let me tell ya
    I see your problem.

Lawmaker =/= Scientist

Being on a Science committee does not make one a scientist.

As another example (WHATABOUT!!!) of the stupid people we tend to elect, try this one:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hank-jo...arine-buildup/

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) is raising some eyebrows with a comment he made about the U.S. territory of Guam during a House Armed Services Committee hearing last Thursday.

In a discussion regarding a planned military buildup on the Pacific island, Johnson expressed some concerns about the plans to Adm. Robert Willard, head of the U.S. Pacific fleet.

"My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize," Johnson said. Willard paused and replied, "We don't anticipate that."
    At least the idea of siltation (or things like creation and artificial expansion of land masses) has a basis in science as a factor. The fact it's rather obvious is a completely immaterial factor does make the claim seem pretty dumb.

No dumber that capsizing Islands of course, but yeah. Lawmakers and Lawyers, get what you elect.

I wonder if capsizing Islands might be a factor is sea level rise......
    These examples just reinforce my opinion that we need an IQ test for representatives.

And voting. And reproduction. And....
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    And voting. And reproduction. And....
    P much.

We’ve done our gene pool a great disservice by putting soft edges on things and creating a culture of safety where the stupid ones are protected from the natural forces that would otherwise keep our population healthy and on top.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; May 18 2018 at 06:57:55 PM.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...causing-higher

A Republican lawmaker on the House Science, Space and Technology Committee said Thursday that rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover and the California coastline, as well as silt from rivers tumbling into the ocean, are contributing to high sea levels globally.

We have the best scientists folks, the best people on the committee let me tell ya
    I see your problem.

Lawmaker =/= Scientist

Being on a Science committee does not make one a scientist.

As another example (WHATABOUT!!!) of the stupid people we tend to elect, try this one:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hank-jo...arine-buildup/

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) is raising some eyebrows with a comment he made about the U.S. territory of Guam during a House Armed Services Committee hearing last Thursday.

In a discussion regarding a planned military buildup on the Pacific island, Johnson expressed some concerns about the plans to Adm. Robert Willard, head of the U.S. Pacific fleet.

"My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize," Johnson said. Willard paused and replied, "We don't anticipate that."
    At least the idea of siltation (or things like creation and artificial expansion of land masses) has a basis in science as a factor. The fact it's rather obvious is a completely immaterial factor does make the claim seem pretty dumb.

No dumber that capsizing Islands of course, but yeah. Lawmakers and Lawyers, get what you elect.

These examples just reinforce my opinion that we need an IQ test for representatives.
    Can we have a few "ethical standards" tests too?

what we need is to sweep away democracy and all of the trash that goes with it, and replace it with a clean, efficient neocameralist government

would be even better if there was one suited for absolute rule too, elon musk looks like a good candidate but alot remains to be seen

what we need is to sweep away democracy and all of the trash that goes with it, and replace it with a clean, efficient neocameralist government
    Rule by the bureaucracy itself, eh?

The democrat was making a "joke" about how the sudden influx of people (almost half the local population at peak) to build the new marine base might risk overwhelming the local infrastructure on Guam - making the island capsize. The republican was not making a joke when he suggested to a climate scientist that erosion is a significant contributor to rising sea levels & that NASA told him the antarctic ice levels were growing (although you could make the argument that the House Science, Space & Tech Committee is a joke). These differences can be ascertained by reading the articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    The democrat was making a "joke" about how the sudden influx of people (almost half the local population at peak) to build the new marine base might risk overwhelming the local infrastructure on Guam - making the island capsize. The republican was not making a joke when he suggested to a climate scientist that erosion is a significant contributor to rising sea levels & that NASA told him the antarctic ice levels were growing (although you could make the argument that the House Science, Space & Tech Committee is a joke). These differences can be ascertained by reading the articles.
    i.e.

"The subtle humor of this obviously metaphorical reference to a ship capsizing illustrated my concern about the impact of the planned military buildup on this small tropical island," the statement said.
    So sutble every single person who heard it said thought he was an idiot. 5th Dimensional Subtle Humour!

P.S. it wasn't a joke, the statement was an obvious CYA to cover how stupid he sounded.

Fuck sake.

An island capsising is a very subtle image, I concede. No doubt the guy's delivery was so bad that it being a joke was easily missed, but that's politicians for you *cough* CPT *cough*.

More to the point: even if he were dead serious, a Democrat thinking islands can capsize isn't going to affect US policy on maritime bases anytime soon. Republican climate change denial - or at least complete ignorance of or indifference towards it - is very much affecting US environmental policy right now. So even if you want to pull your usual "both sides are shit" shtick, it doesn't work here because one shit is causing a much greater stink than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair
    Fuck sake
    Indeed.

smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    Lol98

In thinking about this more, I think there is another angle to look at on the MS-13/Immigrant inflammatory remarks.

Trump and ICE have been misleading and misrepresenting about the number of MS 13 people they have been deporting, and have been falsely claiming that people are MS 13 as an excuse to deport them. Given this information, I don't think Trump gets a pass, because him and his directly reporting agency are claiming people are MS 13 who are not.

So really, this is all part of his efforts to dehumanize undocumented immigrants.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-gang-members/
    Trump said of MS-13 gang members, "We are getting them out of our country by the thousands."

Itís difficult to determine how many MS-13 members have been deported under Trumpís administration, because immigration officials donít break down deportation data by gang affiliation.

At least 1,200 MS-13 gang members were arrested from Oct. 1, 2016, through the end of Trumpís first calendar year. The time between an arrest and deportation varies per case, but an expert told us the process is lengthy.

Trumpís statement contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression. We rate it Mostly False.
    https://www.npr.org/2017/08/17/54408...eing-in-a-gang
    According to federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement documents in a number of cases reviewed by WNYC and NPR, the clothes and colors students wear to school, the classmates they speak to and what they're suspended for is being used as evidence in immigration court that students are affiliated with MS-13, and that they should be detained and deported.

It has raised questions from lawyers and civil rights groups about how much intelligence is being obtained from public schools.

"Anyone that they can even remotely link to MS-13: They have a family member who was a gang member or they were seen sitting in class next to someone who was a gang member, they're fair game," said immigration lawyer Bryan Johnson.

He said he has dozens of clients, all immigrant high school students, who have been picked up by immigration and accused of gang membership.

"None of them have been convicted of crimes, keep that in mind," Johnson said. "They have no criminal history. They never hurt anyone. They are from Central America and this administration is hunting them in the false name of public safety."
    https://www.salon.com/2017/12/04/ice...-them_partner/
    When the Trump administration can't find crimes to detain undocumented immigrants, it will invent them. That's exactly what activists fear is occurring in Long Island, NY with Operation Matador, under which Immigration and Customs Enforcement claims to have arrested nearly 350 people for being members of MS-13, or Mara Salvatrucha, a Salvadorean gang whose violence is spreading across America. Advocates believe undocumented residents of Suffolk and Nassau counties are being erroneously arrested for being gang members so they can then be deported. To prove it, a coalition of immigration advocacy groups have filed Freedom of Information Act requests to discover the truth behind the mass deportations.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b07309e0562f7d
    Immigration and Customs Enforcement is arresting more immigrants, and increasingly they have not been convicted of crimes, according to data released on Thursday by the agency.

About two-thirds of those arrested by ICE from October 2017 to the end of March had no criminal convictions ó up from 21 percent during the same period the year before and only 13 percent the year before that. ICE officials noted that some of the arrested immigrants had been charged with a crime but not convicted.

The new figures, which reflect the first two quarters of the 2018 fiscal year, demonstrate that ICE is carrying out the crackdown on unauthorized immigrants that President Donald Trump promised. That means ICE officers are picking up more people with clean records, even if they were previously allowed to remain in the country.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Yeah, the more you dig into it, the uglier it gets:

In April, ProPublica and New York Magazine published a tragic story about Henry, a teenager who fled MS-13 in El Salvador and was granted asylum in the U.S. He resettled in Long Island, where MS-13 found him again. Henry, who is also represented by Johnson, tried to leave the gang and became an FBI informant in exchange for entry into the witness protection program. He handed over names of gang members and their targets, helping to save lives and offering officials insight into a notoriously private, and dangerous, group.

After his cooperation, however, ICE detained him and is still planning to deport him. Henry is still in detention, where he fears other MS-13 detainees will kill him for being an informant. If he’s sent back to El Salvador, MS-13 will kill him there.

ICE’s cruel betrayal threatens Henry’s life and also deters other gang members from ever coming forward, only bolstering the gang’s foothold. “Sometimes I feel like a piece of string being pulled from both ends,” said Henry. “Sometimes, I think it would be better to be dead than to have done the things I’ve done. I know it would be better never to have talked to anyone.” Days after the story ran, a judge declined a ruling at Henry’s deportation hearing, enabling Henry’s legal team to make an asylum claim. Henry will continue his testimony on May 22 and Johnson is gathering donations for the teen here.
    Emphasis mine. ICE's actions are, quite bluntly, GOOD for MS-13 and other gangs. Either they are too dumb to realize that, or, more likely, they know it and don't care, because accusing people of gang membership allows them to ignore due process while deporting people.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    You mean, an IQ test for VOTING!!!

I knew it wouldn't take much to get FHC's usual suspects to side with literal MS-13 members over Trump.

Bravo mates. You're so right, it's all about Brown people and racism.

Say it over and over, and you'll surely win the 2020 Presidential elections.

I knew it wouldn't take much to get FHC's usual suspects to side with literal MS-13 members over Trump.

Citation needed.

Unless you meant that 'they're Hispanic ofcourse they're gang members'. Because that seems to be ICE's position.

Hey your ignorance is showing.

tbh I couldn't make head or tail of what Trump was saying in that part of the speech. Was he condemning MS13 as bad? ok fine. Or was he lumping Mexicans in with MS13? not fine.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

"You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    tbh I couldn't make head or tail of what Trump was saying in that part of the speech. Was he condemning MS13 as bad? ok fine. Or was he lumping Mexicans in with MS13? not fine.
    Do most people really have any fucking clue why most people are in MS-13 or other violent gangs in Central America? Do people like Alistair know a single person in that situation and do they comprehend how calling them animals is still incredibly fucking ignorant?

Nope.

Stupid politicians are easier to buy.

I wonder which class of people would directly benefit from this state of affairs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    Replace "MS-13" with "communism" and the message might make more sense. The spectre of MEXICAN GANGS has descended upon America, etc etc...
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...