hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2508 of 2775 FirstFirst ... 150820082408245824982505250625072508250925102511251825582608 ... LastLast
Results 50,141 to 50,160 of 55498

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #50141
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    The idea that the consumer is capable, willing or even engaged enough to have a vested interest in news quality to police media platforms through the existing marketplace is incredibly naive. You can look at just about any national media landscape to see it doesn't work that way.
    In my experience most first world countries have a not insignificant number of people that put enough effort in to this to keep things balanced.

    Hell I remember doing 'media studies' in high school English that basically covered media bias and how to spot it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  2. #50142
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    And yet still the centrists want to compromise with these people, despite the fact that they're clearly acting in bad faith.
    Not Real Centrism

    But seriously real centrism is something like Canada.

    Shit centrism where you bargain down from Ancapistan to Jordan Belfort, is what we get to enjoy in the US

  3. #50143
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Now I can actually read this properly (because tapapapapapapatalk) there are 2 misunderstanding in this post that explain the opinion given. Firstly 'They need us as much as we need them'.. While for individual countries this is true, as a block, China, the EU, Canada and Mexico form a much larger economy than the US and can happily trade among themselves. Sure, not having the US is going to dent everyone's economy, but in the extreme that all trade with the US stopped (which obviously isn't going to happen but helps to demonstrate the point), the US is going to be the biggest loser. The other point was 'We have the most leverage'. This is pretty much countered in his own post with the point above. If you need each-other equally as much then neither of you have the most leverage. While it is true that the US has the biggest economy in the group, this only remains true while you are actually trading. The Chinese and EU tariffs not only targeted trumps supported base, but also targeted things they can readily get from other countries (at least for less than the US+Tariff cost). In the short term countries will look to other sources for these goods, but it is even more damaging in the long term because as time goes on, trade routes, facilities and such will be established between these new trading partners, making that trade cheaper, so in the long term there will be significant friction to overcome to swap the trade back to the US (which if left long enough may never happen).

    Building other countries economies and weakening your own only weakens your initially strong position over a long period.

    Just for balance, this may also actually work. Its a huge risk that could pay off as long as its managed properly. Timing is important as you need to do enough damage to everyone else's economies while limiting the damage to your own, and not leave it in place so long that you ultimately make the damage to your own economy irreparable. This is why the traditional way to do this sort of things is via trade negotiations and agreements that take a very long and careful approach to the matter. You give up portions of your own economy (say, coal exports) so you can strengthen other new areas you are seeing the potential for growth in (say, renewable energy exports).
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  4. #50144
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,072
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him.

    EDIT for Bonus Content:

    Supreme Court nominee announced, Brett Kavanaugh. Would you be surprised if I told you that he has argued that a President should be immune to lawsuits, and should not be subject to indictment until they leave office?
    Last edited by Dorvil Barranis; July 10 2018 at 03:24:00 AM.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  5. #50145
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him.
    The fascist finger-trap.

    Struggle against fascism, the fascism problem gets worse.

    Do nothing, the fascism problem gets worse.

  6. #50146
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    19,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Supreme Court nominee announced, Brett Kavanaugh. Would you be surprised if I told you that he has argued that a President should be immune to lawsuits, and should not be subject to indictment until they leave office?
    So the president would be above the law when in office? I cant possibly see that going wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  7. #50147
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    14,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him
    You dont attack him to persuade his supporters. Anyone still supporting him at this point is probably unreachable, although there may be a few 'casualties' (see r/trumpgrets for examples). People who aren't fascists themselves aren't going to admit that they voted for one, even to themselves. People who are fascists view as praise what we call criticism.

    The reason you attack him is to energise his opponents and sway the "undecideds". The Roy Moore effect. And also to destroy the "silent majority" bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

  8. #50148
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him
    You dont attack him to persuade his supporters. Anyone still supporting him at this point is probably unreachable, although there may be a few 'casualties' (see r/trumpgrets for examples). People who aren't fascists themselves aren't going to admit that they voted for one, even to themselves. People who are fascists view as praise what we call criticism.

    The reason you attack him is to energise his opponents and sway the "undecideds". The Roy Moore effect. And also to destroy the "silent majority" bullshit.
    Yeah, mainline Dems sat on their hands and tried to be polite and reasonable for 30 years and just ate shit while Republicans smashed and grabbed everything they could get a finger on. It's way past time to actually fight back, in public as well as the halls of power.

    Also, something something history rhyming ~


    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

  9. #50149
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    2,515
    That Hamilton quote is basically straight out of Book IX or X of Plato’s Republic. Even the phrasing is similar to Plato’s phrasing.

    Clearly Hamilton was a plagiarist hack. /s

  10. #50150
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,231
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8440281.html

    “Dear America, appreciate your allies, after all you don’t have that many,” Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, said after signing a statement on defence cooperation on cooperation between the European Union and the military alliance.
    Statement made before the upcomng NATO summit by Donald Tusk. Gonna be a warm and welcoming meet.

  11. #50151
    King of the Food Thread
    Join Date
    August 22, 2011
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8440281.html

    “Dear America, appreciate your allies, after all you don’t have that many,” Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, said after signing a statement on defence cooperation on cooperation between the European Union and the military alliance.
    Statement made before the upcomng NATO summit by Donald Tusk. Gonna be a warm and welcoming meet.
    The irony is that he doesn't get enough push back because most realize that there is an overaching goal that is not not tied to a respective temporary head of state. Thats support and feeds his ego game. There is a benfit to beeing a maniac if everyone is trying to act rational. At least in the short run.

  12. #50152

    Join Date
    May 25, 2011
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him
    You dont attack him to persuade his supporters. Anyone still supporting him at this point is probably unreachable, although there may be a few 'casualties' (see r/trumpgrets for examples). People who aren't fascists themselves aren't going to admit that they voted for one, even to themselves. People who are fascists view as praise what we call criticism.

    The reason you attack him is to energise his opponents and sway the "undecideds". The Roy Moore effect. And also to destroy the "silent majority" bullshit.
    Are you absolutely 100% sure that you are not the fascist or fascist supporter? Well maybe not fascist... but authoritarian + political correctness/victim culture = we don't have a word for it yet like we do for theocracy (authoritarian + religion) and fascism (authoritarian + nationalism).

    It is you. The 'silent majority' isn't silent. They are the 'not paying attention majority', and funny enough, the more you guys talk and try to refute Trump... the more they pay attention and it never seems to work out in your favor... That is why he keeps winning. Nobody was paying attention to what you guys were up to, and now that someone who has no decorum and isn't afraid to argue with you guys is arguing with you guys... People don't like what they are seeing: pink shirted storm troopers stomping through the public square engaged in social media lynchings, star chambers on college campuses, legally forced speech, blatant racism that isn't racism because they say it isn't racism even though it is totally racism, enforced racial segregation, different rules for different skin colors with no regard for content of character, literally illegal opinions, literally illegal jokes, police forces reminding the public that they are constantly watching for those illegal opinions or jokes, abject denial of science, etc.

    Trump is an idiot arguing with completely insane people in total denial of reality. All the idiot has to do is keep the insane people talking.

    Here... I'll explain why it keeps going wrong for you guys:



    Every time someone does a double take on the situation you guys lose. It is because you've not looked in a mirror because as you say... someone who fell in with authoritarians will never admit to themselves what they've done.

    Just because social justice is a new asshole doesn't mean people are going to tolerate the same authoritarian shit they've never tolerated before. People don't like authoritarians... and the longer this goes the more people don't seem to like the side you are on. If you want to keep your social justice, you need to ditch the authoritarians. Just like people who want to keep their religion and nationalism need to steer clear of authoritarians.

  13. #50153
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him
    You dont attack him to persuade his supporters. Anyone still supporting him at this point is probably unreachable, although there may be a few 'casualties' (see r/trumpgrets for examples). People who aren't fascists themselves aren't going to admit that they voted for one, even to themselves. People who are fascists view as praise what we call criticism.

    The reason you attack him is to energise his opponents and sway the "undecideds". The Roy Moore effect. And also to destroy the "silent majority" bullshit.
    Are you absolutely 100% sure that you are not the fascist or fascist supporter? Well maybe not fascist... but authoritarian + political correctness/victim culture = we don't have a word for it yet like we do for theocracy (authoritarian + religion) and fascism (authoritarian + nationalism).

    It is you. The 'silent majority' isn't silent. They are the 'not paying attention majority', and funny enough, the more you guys talk and try to refute Trump... the more they pay attention and it never seems to work out in your favor... That is why he keeps winning. Nobody was paying attention to what you guys were up to, and now that someone who has no decorum and isn't afraid to argue with you guys is arguing with you guys... People don't like what they are seeing: pink shirted storm troopers stomping through the public square engaged in social media lynchings, star chambers on college campuses, legally forced speech, blatant racism that isn't racism because they say it isn't racism even though it is totally racism, enforced racial segregation, different rules for different skin colors with no regard for content of character, literally illegal opinions, literally illegal jokes, police forces reminding the public that they are constantly watching for those illegal opinions or jokes, abject denial of science, etc.

    Trump is an idiot arguing with completely insane people in total denial of reality. All the idiot has to do is keep the insane people talking.

    Here... I'll explain why it keeps going wrong for you guys:



    Every time someone does a double take on the situation you guys lose. It is because you've not looked in a mirror because as you say... someone who fell in with authoritarians will never admit to themselves what they've done.

    Just because social justice is a new asshole doesn't mean people are going to tolerate the same authoritarian shit they've never tolerated before. People don't like authoritarians... and the longer this goes the more people don't seem to like the side you are on. If you want to keep your social justice, you need to ditch the authoritarians. Just like people who want to keep their religion and nationalism need to steer clear of authoritarians.
    Sodomize yourself with a rake thanks

  14. #50154
    Djan Seriy Anaplian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him
    You dont attack him to persuade his supporters. Anyone still supporting him at this point is probably unreachable, although there may be a few 'casualties' (see r/trumpgrets for examples). People who aren't fascists themselves aren't going to admit that they voted for one, even to themselves. People who are fascists view as praise what we call criticism.

    The reason you attack him is to energise his opponents and sway the "undecideds". The Roy Moore effect. And also to destroy the "silent majority" bullshit.
    Are you absolutely 100% sure that you are not the fascist or fascist supporter? Well maybe not fascist... but authoritarian + political correctness/victim culture = we don't have a word for it yet like we do for theocracy (authoritarian + religion) and fascism (authoritarian + nationalism).

    It is you. The 'silent majority' isn't silent. They are the 'not paying attention majority', and funny enough, the more you guys talk and try to refute Trump... the more they pay attention and it never seems to work out in your favor... That is why he keeps winning. Nobody was paying attention to what you guys were up to, and now that someone who has no decorum and isn't afraid to argue with you guys is arguing with you guys... People don't like what they are seeing: pink shirted storm troopers stomping through the public square engaged in social media lynchings, star chambers on college campuses, legally forced speech, blatant racism that isn't racism because they say it isn't racism even though it is totally racism, enforced racial segregation, different rules for different skin colors with no regard for content of character, literally illegal opinions, literally illegal jokes, police forces reminding the public that they are constantly watching for those illegal opinions or jokes, abject denial of science, etc.

    Trump is an idiot arguing with completely insane people in total denial of reality. All the idiot has to do is keep the insane people talking.

    Here... I'll explain why it keeps going wrong for you guys:



    Every time someone does a double take on the situation you guys lose. It is because you've not looked in a mirror because as you say... someone who fell in with authoritarians will never admit to themselves what they've done.

    Just because social justice is a new asshole doesn't mean people are going to tolerate the same authoritarian shit they've never tolerated before. People don't like authoritarians... and the longer this goes the more people don't seem to like the side you are on. If you want to keep your social justice, you need to ditch the authoritarians. Just like people who want to keep their religion and nationalism need to steer clear of authoritarians.
    There’s a special place in hell for people that use ellipsises anything other than once in a blue moon.

  15. #50155
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,656
    is this the return of wolf crendraven or rakhahaha?

  16. #50156
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    is this the return of wolf crendraven or rakhahaha?


    YAMETE

  17. #50157
    Ruri's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Exclamation, USA
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    That is why he keeps winning.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Do you even lift? Do you even post.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Ass ass ass.

  18. #50158
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him
    You dont attack him to persuade his supporters. Anyone still supporting him at this point is probably unreachable, although there may be a few 'casualties' (see r/trumpgrets for examples). People who aren't fascists themselves aren't going to admit that they voted for one, even to themselves. People who are fascists view as praise what we call criticism.

    The reason you attack him is to energise his opponents and sway the "undecideds". The Roy Moore effect. And also to destroy the "silent majority" bullshit.
    Are you absolutely 100% sure that you are not the fascist or fascist supporter? Well maybe not fascist... but authoritarian + political correctness/victim culture = we don't have a word for it yet like we do for theocracy (authoritarian + religion) and fascism (authoritarian + nationalism).

    It is you. The 'silent majority' isn't silent. They are the 'not paying attention majority', and funny enough, the more you guys talk and try to refute Trump... the more they pay attention and it never seems to work out in your favor... That is why he keeps winning. Nobody was paying attention to what you guys were up to, and now that someone who has no decorum and isn't afraid to argue with you guys is arguing with you guys... People don't like what they are seeing: pink shirted storm troopers stomping through the public square engaged in social media lynchings, star chambers on college campuses, legally forced speech, blatant racism that isn't racism because they say it isn't racism even though it is totally racism, enforced racial segregation, different rules for different skin colors with no regard for content of character, literally illegal opinions, literally illegal jokes, police forces reminding the public that they are constantly watching for those illegal opinions or jokes, abject denial of science, etc.

    Trump is an idiot arguing with completely insane people in total denial of reality. All the idiot has to do is keep the insane people talking.

    Here... I'll explain why it keeps going wrong for you guys:



    Every time someone does a double take on the situation you guys lose. It is because you've not looked in a mirror because as you say... someone who fell in with authoritarians will never admit to themselves what they've done.

    Just because social justice is a new asshole doesn't mean people are going to tolerate the same authoritarian shit they've never tolerated before. People don't like authoritarians... and the longer this goes the more people don't seem to like the side you are on. If you want to keep your social justice, you need to ditch the authoritarians. Just like people who want to keep their religion and nationalism need to steer clear of authoritarians.
    Ain’t nothing wrong with a bit of authoritarianism in pursuing a socially necessary and morally just end.

    https://www.marxists.org/archive/mar.../authority.htm

    All Socialists are agreed that the political state, and with it political authority, will disappear as a result of the coming social revolution, that is, that public functions will lose their political character and will be transformed into the simple administrative functions of watching over the true interests of society. But the anti-authoritarians demand that the political state be abolished at one stroke, even before the social conditions that gave birth to it have been destroyed. They demand that the first act of the social revolution shall be the abolition of authority. Have these gentlemen ever seen a revolution? A revolution is certainly the most authoritarian thing there is; it is the act whereby one part of the population imposes its will upon the other part by means of rifles, bayonets and cannon — authoritarian means, if such there be at all; and if the victorious party does not want to have fought in vain, it must maintain this rule by means of the terror which its arms inspire in the reactionists. Would the Paris Commune have lasted a single day if it had not made use of this authority of the armed people against the bourgeois? Should we not, on the contrary, reproach it for not having used it freely enough?
    Therefore, either one of two things: either the anti-authoritarians don't know what they're talking about, in which case they are creating nothing but confusion; or they do know, and in that case they are betraying the movement of the proletariat. In either case they serve reaction.
    And that’s in the far more volatile revolutionary context.

    Within a functioning republic we have access to democratic control of state authority. Either use it to achieve positive ends—social justice—or suffer the will of those who have no interest in democracy and for whom authority is an end in itself, not merely a means to an end.

    You cannot defeat fascism with passivity.

    This idea that somehow it’s improper for one part of society to tell another part “You’re wrong, and in fact you’re so wrong we’re going to shun/ridicule/lambast you” is liberal bullshit that only became a thing in the past 50 years or so. And it’s why we are where we are today, because no one had the stones to shut the fascists down when they first started making public inroads.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; July 10 2018 at 08:47:07 PM.

  19. #50159
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Yeah, but disparaging the President only fuels his supporters. So, obviously since criticism of Trump only makes him stronger, we should stop criticizing him
    You dont attack him to persuade his supporters. Anyone still supporting him at this point is probably unreachable, although there may be a few 'casualties' (see r/trumpgrets for examples). People who aren't fascists themselves aren't going to admit that they voted for one, even to themselves. People who are fascists view as praise what we call criticism.

    The reason you attack him is to energise his opponents and sway the "undecideds". The Roy Moore effect. And also to destroy the "silent majority" bullshit.
    Are you absolutely 100% sure that you are not the fascist or fascist supporter? Well maybe not fascist... but authoritarian + political correctness/victim culture = we don't have a word for it yet like we do for theocracy (authoritarian + religion) and fascism (authoritarian + nationalism).

    It is you. The 'silent majority' isn't silent. They are the 'not paying attention majority', and funny enough, the more you guys talk and try to refute Trump... the more they pay attention and it never seems to work out in your favor... That is why he keeps winning. Nobody was paying attention to what you guys were up to, and now that someone who has no decorum and isn't afraid to argue with you guys is arguing with you guys... People don't like what they are seeing: pink shirted storm troopers stomping through the public square engaged in social media lynchings, star chambers on college campuses, legally forced speech, blatant racism that isn't racism because they say it isn't racism even though it is totally racism, enforced racial segregation, different rules for different skin colors with no regard for content of character, literally illegal opinions, literally illegal jokes, police forces reminding the public that they are constantly watching for those illegal opinions or jokes, abject denial of science, etc.

    Trump is an idiot arguing with completely insane people in total denial of reality. All the idiot has to do is keep the insane people talking.

    Here... I'll explain why it keeps going wrong for you guys:



    Every time someone does a double take on the situation you guys lose. It is because you've not looked in a mirror because as you say... someone who fell in with authoritarians will never admit to themselves what they've done.

    Just because social justice is a new asshole doesn't mean people are going to tolerate the same authoritarian shit they've never tolerated before. People don't like authoritarians... and the longer this goes the more people don't seem to like the side you are on. If you want to keep your social justice, you need to ditch the authoritarians. Just like people who want to keep their religion and nationalism need to steer clear of authoritarians.
    Let me guess, you think white people are being discriminated against?
    You should probably stop using concepts you don't fully understand.
    meh

  20. #50160

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    11,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    is this the return of wolf crendraven or rakhahaha?
    Looks like it.

    MEIN GOTT

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •