hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2300 of 2651 FirstFirst ... 130018002200225022902297229822992300230123022303231023502400 ... LastLast
Results 45,981 to 46,000 of 53009

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    If I had my way no one over 65 would be allowed to hold public office. I don't think people who are a few short decades away from the grave should get to decide the future.
    Actually makes sense, never will be implemented.

Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk

If I had my way no one over 65 would be allowed to hold public office. I don't think people who are a few short decades away from the grave should get to decide the future.
    If you're gonna get your way why not just go all out and have some good old fashioned sortition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    this tbh
    Our solution is to forcefully retire anyone over 65 (the employer have the right). So not an issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    this tbh
    Our solution is to forcefully retire anyone over 65 (the employer have the right). So not an issue here.
    Even politicians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    this tbh
    Even politicians?
    Yepp. I cant recollect anyone over 65 in parliament/cabinet. (civil servants gets retired the same as private sector)

Apparently on local level its more common with politicians over 65.

Edit: after googling i found that 2.6% of parliament members are infact over 65 so i guess 9 0r 10 of them.
    Last edited by Caldrion Dosto; March 13 2018 at 06:45:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    On another US issue there are a lot of news stories popping up that people are moving out of California.

Is something wrong in the Peoples' Republic???
    It takes effort and skill to make it here. Even more people are moving here though, because the commute sure as hell isn't improving.

I wish some people would move away, tbh. Roads are too crowded.
    Have you ever considered investing in infrastructure that isn't shit tier?
    I have, but I’m not going to get very far on my own, am I?

this tbh
    Even politicians?
    Holding a public office is a job, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    On another US issue there are a lot of news stories popping up that people are moving out of California.

Is something wrong in the Peoples' Republic???
    It takes effort and skill to make it here. Even more people are moving here though, because the commute sure as hell isn't improving.

I wish some people would move away, tbh. Roads are too crowded.
    Have you ever considered investing in infrastructure that isn't shit tier?
    I have, but I’m not going to get very far on my own, am I?
    Wait are you telling me that posts on FHC don't influence public policy?

Oh look. Sessions is a lying piece of shit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...grant-arrests/

A spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has resigned over what he described as “false” and “misleading” statements made by Attorney General Jeff Sessions and ICE acting director Thomas D. Homan.

James Schwab worked out of the agency’s San Francisco office until he abruptly quit last week. He said he had been told to “deflect” questions about the Oakland mayor’s interference with an ICE raid last month and to refer reporters to statements from Sessions and Homan that suggested hundreds of “criminals” (“criminal aliens,” Homan called them) escaped capture in Northern California because the mayor tipped them off.

“I quit because I didn’t want to perpetuate misleading facts,” Schwab told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I asked them to change the information. I told them that the information was wrong, they asked me to deflect, and I didn’t agree with that. Then I took some time and I quit.”
    meh

this does nothing meaningful, the problem is not that those that hold public office are too old, but that their incentive systems are skewed.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Sooo...

You think Tilleson got fired because he told the truth about his boss, or his bosses boss?
    meh

A spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has resigned over what he described as “false” and “misleading” statements made by Attorney General Jeff Sessions and ICE acting director Thomas D. Homan.

James Schwab worked out of the agency’s San Francisco office until he abruptly quit last week. He said he had been told to “deflect” questions about the Oakland mayor’s interference with an ICE raid last month and to refer reporters to statements from Sessions and Homan that suggested hundreds of “criminals” (“criminal aliens,” Homan called them) escaped capture in Northern California because the mayor tipped them off.

“I quit because I didn’t want to perpetuate misleading facts,” Schwab told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I asked them to change the information. I told them that the information was wrong, they asked me to deflect, and I didn’t agree with that. Then I took some time and I quit.”
    Coincidentally, a James Schwab was just hired by the Oakland Mayor's office at a higher salary, how weird and purely coincidental is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    this does nothing meaningful, the problem is not that those that hold public office are too old, but that their incentive systems are skewed.
    A very fair statement.

With that said, they can ALSO be too old. Like, seriously too old. Like non-functional too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Coincidentally, a James Schwab was just hired by the Oakland Mayor's office at a higher salary, how weird and purely coincidental is that?

I’m sure it’s a much better place to work than this administration.
    meh

Undoubtedly.

Although, counterargument: Oakland.

Undoubtedly.

Although, counterargument: Oakland.
    Just don’t go into any of the parts that have a cardinal direction in the name. This is actually true across the whole US in my experience. Places with directions in the name should be avoided, for the most part, although I did find decent bbq in West Memphis once.
    meh

You wanted a trade war? You got a trade war.

Not the Chinese

I dont get how u can have a more damaging presidency for USA then Trump tbh...
    Russia´s investment sure as hell is paying off big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    A very fair statement.

With that said, they can ALSO be too old. Like, seriously too old. Like non-functional too old.
    Aging is a tricky problem, some are potatoes at 67 some are smarter than anyone here at 85. Maybe a regular cognition test after a certain age would be a good idea, might also make roads safer. Kinda like the finger in the bum.

Ill put it like this, why wouldnt old people be allowed to be politicians, if they are allowed to vote? Why should anyone be allowed to vote for/against something that doesnt directly impact them?

The answer of course is, because we operate under the assumption that people are swayed by more than mere self-interest. That doesnt seem to work out too well atm, but i flat out refuse to abandon the principle.