hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2298 of 2468 FirstFirst ... 129817982198224822882295229622972298229923002301230823482398 ... LastLast
Results 45,941 to 45,960 of 49345

Thread: USA Politics Thread

  1. #45941
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    There is no left in a position to govern though. There's corrupt corporate Democrats that have succeeded in purging the reformers. They're going to fix the primary schedule (California and the southern 'Clinton firewall' voting earliest) to ensure that a corporate establishment democrat is the next candidate and run on virtue signalling and Trump is a Russian stooge rapist meanie but no actual policy. If they fuck up and a non-corrupt candidate manages to squeeze through then they wont have a big enough base in the Congress/Senate to pass meaningful reform.

    The odds of a Trump Mk 2 are pretty decent imho.
    i don't think it's going to be Trump mk. 2 it's just going to be trump beating up Clinton again.
    I think the most likely outcome is Trump loses to ineffective democrat which subsequently gives Trump Mk 2 a shot.

    Trump beating ineffectual Democrat is quite on the cards though if the economy goes full speed ahead until November 2020.
    the economy doesn't matter in the first place, trump, if he's on ball like he was last time, will highlight his "successes" real, or imagined and talk about how there's more work left before america is "great again" but that we're "getting there"

    meanwhile, the centrist candidate will point to the economy "doing fine" not realizing how spectacularly tone deaf it is to the 80% or so who've seen their living standards stagnate and outright decline the last 30 years and thus the failtrain continues.

    it's going to be Hillary or "wet boy" Kennedy tbh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    All left-wing parties everywhere are more interested in a within-party struggle for ideological purity, not about beating their political opponents.

    (Not that the Democrats would be left-wing, but the US...)

    But I'd guess that the only reason the Democrats have any chance in the midterms is because of the infighting in the GOP.
    the problem with the whole "leftist purity" spiel is that it's not actually true out there, in reality (you still see it a lot online though). it's not that a consensus has crystallized, but that there's been some serious wakeup calls in recent years that has pushed that to the background.

    there are still marginalized groupings, tankies/MLM's and anarch-prims come to mind but they're marginalized for good reasons, if anything there's more "reaching across the isle" than usual between the usual anarchist and socialist/syndicalist "factions" since perhaps the 80's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Society burning burns you along with it, doesn't it?

    I may hate my President, and many many things my country does, but I still want to live a good life, and enjoy life, so I hope the U.S. does well regardless.

    Society burning hurts me, and you, along with everyone else.

    Perhaps a less self-destructive plan is in order?
    such as ? you're deluded if you think anybody further left than the typical "centre left" bought-and-paid-for social democrat has any real influence.

    set the the whole shitshow on fire and bask in the glow, it's going to burn down regardless and there is no fire-hose big enough to halt the progress of the flames in the first place, if political instability doesn't do the US in, climate change and your entire social model will, it's a question of when and not if.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

    In the real world, a Biden-Warren 2020 ticket is probably the best i can hope for.
    I'd say it's the best the US can deliver in terms of politicians imo. Biden seemed effective as a vp, the stuff that was put on his desk got done and Warrens loathing of the fat cats of Wall street is hardly a secret.
    i like how your solution includes electing a literal war criminal and an de-facto apartheid supporter.

    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    We may all get to bask in the glow yet. We Americans love sharing.
    we're fucked anyway, what's a couple of nukes and million of deaths compared to the devastation climate change is bringing ?

    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Yeah, we literally have 1/3 of the country that think voting for trump was a good idea. I mean at this point those people are way fucking stupider than anything in idiocracy.
    yea, this attitude is very much the core part of the problem. people aren't stupid because their perception of reality differs from yours, a bit of humility would do you some good tbh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK.

    Ahem.

    The Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee have decided that their investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 election is over. They have concluded, without actually bothering to investigate, that there was no collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians. Their investigation in the Departments of Justice and State continue.

    “The bottom line: The Russians did commit active measures against our election in ’16, and we think they will do that in the future,” Mr. Conaway said. But, he added, “We disagree with the narrative that they were trying to help Trump.”
    There is some suggestion that this is Nunes's decision and has caught other Republicans off guard with its blatant bullshit. Some of them are trying to walk it back.

    Statement from Schiff is blistering, to say the least.

    Today, the House Majority has announced it is terminating the Russia investigation, leaving to others the important work of determining the full extent of Russian interference in our election, the role of U.S. persons connected to the Trump campaign in that intervention, possible efforts to obstruct the investigation by the President and most important, what needs to be done to protect the country going forward. While the Majority members of our committee have indicated for some time that they have been under great pressure to end the investigation, it is nonetheless another tragic milestone for this Congress, and represents yet another capitulation to the executive branch. By ending its oversight role in the only authorized investigation in the House, the Majority has placed the interests of protecting the President over protecting the country, and history will judge its actions harshly.
    Some current speculation ties the timing of this to tomorrow's special election in Pennsylvania where a Democratic challenger is currently polling neck and neck with, or even a few points ahead of, the republican in a district that Trump won by 20 points. They may be hoping that "INVESTIGATION CONCLUDES, NO COLLUSION" is enough of a headline to swing the vote their way.

    Trump, of course, tweeted it out in all caps.
    this is like the least surprising thing since Bush's invasion of Iraq due to WMD's turned out to be a fabrication.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  2. #45942
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    18,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    I wanted to post something here but... lolmerica is all i can come up with.
    At least you don't live here.
    I have no idea why you still do.

    I realize not all Americans are stupid and I also realize all Trump supporters arent stupid. He got voted in for a reason and despite what the media in the rest of the world shows us, he has to have had a much broader appeal to get enough votes so the stupid dumb recast hick vote was enough to get him across the line. But c'mon. There is literally NO legitimate reason to cut this investigation short. If he's innocent then that's what the evidence will eventually show. If hes guilty then for the love of fuck you have another country messing about with your political system and that benefits no one in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  3. #45943
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,468
    The Mueller probe should widen the anuses of the house republicans tbh.

  4. #45944
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    10,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Yeah, we literally have 1/3 of the country that think voting for trump was a good idea. I mean at this point those people are way fucking stupider than anything in idiocracy.
    yea, this attitude is very much the core part of the problem. people aren't stupid because their perception of reality differs from yours, a bit of humility would do you some good tbh.
    Yeah, no. I have sympathy for people who voted in desperation for trump because desperation, but it was still fucking stupid. There is no possible way in hell this course of action with improve their lives, and it displays a stunning lack of cognitive skill among those concerned.

    As far as the people I'm talking about, the hardcore, MAGA, "lol, fuck the snowflakes and the niggers" shithead racist assholes. No fuck them, they are stupid, worthless, and shit human beings to boot. They remind me of the racist cunts I grew up amongst, and I wish the same fate on them.
    meh

  5. #45945

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    4,815
    Isn't there a worrying large percentage of the population in every western country that wants to live in a dictatorship under an authoritarian strongman? If I remember correctly it was something surprisingly large like 20% of the population in most countries that match that psychological profile.

    The last American presidential election had a voter turnout of 55% with 46% of that voting for Trump (25% of the eligible voting population), so potentially the majority of people that voted for Trump are not stupid, but do actually want an authoritarian dictator that makes them feel safe.

    It could easily be an overabundance of fear rather than a lack of intelligence.

  6. #45946
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,935
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Yeah, we literally have 1/3 of the country that think voting for trump was a good idea. I mean at this point those people are way fucking stupider than anything in idiocracy.
    yea, this attitude is very much the core part of the problem. people aren't stupid because their perception of reality differs from yours, a bit of humility would do you some good tbh.
    Yeah, no. I have sympathy for people who voted in desperation for trump because desperation, but it was still fucking stupid. There is no possible way in hell this course of action with improve their lives, and it displays a stunning lack of cognitive skill among those concerned.

    As far as the people I'm talking about, the hardcore, MAGA, "lol, fuck the snowflakes and the niggers" shithead racist assholes. No fuck them, they are stupid, worthless, and shit human beings to boot. They remind me of the racist cunts I grew up amongst, and I wish the same fate on them.
    when given the choice between somebody who will fuck them over and be honest about it, and somebody who will fuck them over and tell them its for their own good, people select the former every-single-time.

    much of the "Hardcore MAGA crowd" are scared that their privileged position is disintegrating under the constant weight of demographics and have a vested interest in voting republican as a result, you're de-facto blaming individuals for looking after their own best interests and acting in a rational manner, it's neither productive nor helpful.

    the solution is to address the underlying systemic problems, of course that's not going to happen with Milquetoast liberals who are de-facto bought-and-paid-for at the helm and any entrenched privileged minority is going to fight back viciously.

    so doing what you're doing, arguing that the "other side" is retarded while enthusiastically supporting a alternative that is so limp-wristed it cannot even say the words "wealth inequality" solves literately nothing, centrists and liberals never solve problems long term, they just make them worse by pretending to treat the sypmtoms.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  7. #45947
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    10,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Yeah, we literally have 1/3 of the country that think voting for trump was a good idea. I mean at this point those people are way fucking stupider than anything in idiocracy.
    yea, this attitude is very much the core part of the problem. people aren't stupid because their perception of reality differs from yours, a bit of humility would do you some good tbh.
    Yeah, no. I have sympathy for people who voted in desperation for trump because desperation, but it was still fucking stupid. There is no possible way in hell this course of action with improve their lives, and it displays a stunning lack of cognitive skill among those concerned.

    As far as the people I'm talking about, the hardcore, MAGA, "lol, fuck the snowflakes and the niggers" shithead racist assholes. No fuck them, they are stupid, worthless, and shit human beings to boot. They remind me of the racist cunts I grew up amongst, and I wish the same fate on them.
    when given the choice between somebody who will fuck them over and be honest about it, and somebody who will fuck them over and tell them its for their own good, people select the former every-single-time.

    much of the "Hardcore MAGA crowd" are scared that their privileged position is disintegrating under the constant weight of demographics and have a vested interest in voting republican as a result, you're de-facto blaming individuals for looking after their own best interests and acting in a rational manner, it's neither productive nor helpful.

    the solution is to address the underlying systemic problems, of course that's not going to happen with Milquetoast liberals who are de-facto bought-and-paid-for at the helm and any entrenched privileged minority is going to fight back viciously.

    so doing what you're doing, arguing that the "other side" is retarded while enthusiastically supporting a alternative that is so limp-wristed it cannot even say the words "wealth inequality" solves literately nothing, centrists and liberals never solve problems long term, they just make them worse by pretending to treat the sypmtoms.
    What gives you the impression I support a limp-wristed solution?
    meh

  8. #45948

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,001
    And Tillerson is gone.

  9. #45949
    walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Posts
    6,138
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    And Tillerson is gone.
    The day after he quite strongly criticized Russia in regards to the nerve agent debacle.

    Gr8 optics.
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

  10. #45950
    OrangeAfroMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20, 2011
    Posts
    7,371
    Tillerson is fired. He lasted a bit over a year, how many scaramuccis is that?

    Apparently Trump is going to try to replace him with CIA director Mike Pompeo
    Actually an '06.

    EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

    www.twitch.tv/oameve

  11. #45951
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Tillerson is fired. He lasted a bit over a year, how many scaramuccis is that?

    Apparently Trump is going to try to replace him with CIA director Mike Pompeo
    So every major portfolio in the US cabinet is now held by the military?

  12. #45952
    OrangeAfroMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20, 2011
    Posts
    7,371
    CIA director's replacement...

    [Gina Haspel:](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Haspel)

    *Haspel ran a "black site" CIA prison located in Thailand in 2002.[5][6] The site was codenamed "Cat’s Eye" and held suspected al Qaeda members Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri and Abu Zubaydah for a time.*

    *Declassified CIA cables specify that Zubaydah was waterboarded 83 times in a month, was sleep deprived, kept in a "large box", had his head slammed against a wall and he lost his left eye. Zubaydah was deemed, by the CIA interrogators, to not be in possession of any useful intelligence (Interrogation of Abu Zubaydah).*
    Actually an '06.

    EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

    www.twitch.tv/oameve

  13. #45953
    Timaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by Caldrion Dosto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Tillerson is fired. He lasted a bit over a year, how many scaramuccis is that?

    Apparently Trump is going to try to replace him with CIA director Mike Pompeo
    So every major portfolio in the US cabinet is now held by the military?
    Sky Marshal Trump and his general staff will make America great again!

    (these are not funny developments)

    Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

  14. #45954
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,792
    On another US issue there are a lot of news stories popping up that people are moving out of California.

    Is something wrong in the Peoples' Republic???

  15. #45955
    Donor Pattern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,468
    Rex Tillerson finally says something critical about Russia's attempted assassination of a former spy on British soil.
    The next morning, Tillerson is no longer the Secretary of State.

    Bantz

  16. #45956
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    16,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    On another US issue there are a lot of news stories popping up that people are moving out of California.

    Is something wrong in the Peoples' Republic???
    Enormous wealth inequality?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  17. #45957
    Donor Sparq's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11, 2011
    Location
    Strayastan
    Posts
    9,413
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    And Tillerson is gone.
    The day after he quite strongly criticized Russia in regards to the nerve agent debacle.

    Gr8 optics.



  18. #45958

    Join Date
    November 5, 2011
    Posts
    10,567
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    CIA director's replacement...

    [Gina Haspel:](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gina_Haspel)

    *Haspel ran a "black site" CIA prison located in Thailand in 2002.[5][6] The site was codenamed "Cat’s Eye" and held suspected al Qaeda members Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri and Abu Zubaydah for a time.*

    *Declassified CIA cables specify that Zubaydah was waterboarded 83 times in a month, was sleep deprived, kept in a "large box", had his head slammed against a wall and he lost his left eye. Zubaydah was deemed, by the CIA interrogators, to not be in possession of any useful intelligence (Interrogation of Abu Zubaydah).*
    SOunds like a great dude

  19. #45959
    Caldrion Dosto's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19, 2011
    Posts
    2,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    And Tillerson is gone.
    The day after he quite strongly criticized Russia in regards to the nerve agent debacle.

    Gr8 optics.


    Ohhh Rofl "Chemistry" Trump must really be a russian troll plant.. :mysides:

  20. #45960
    rufuske's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    2,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post
    Rex Tillerson finally says something critical about Russia's attempted assassination of a former spy on British soil.
    The next morning, Tillerson is no longer the Secretary of State.

    Bantz
    I don't think so. I heard Tillerson was lobbied heavily for the role by russians who didn't want to see Romney take it. It's more likely part of spring cleaning.

    edit: Ok, chemistry...lol, forget what I said.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •