hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2297 of 2844 FirstFirst ... 1297179721972247228722942295229622972298229923002307234723972797 ... LastLast
Results 45,921 to 45,940 of 56862

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Society burning hurts me, and you, along with everyone else.

Perhaps a less self-destructive plan is in order?
    I'm not the one self destructing. I'm fully aware of the futility of the power I hold in the grand scheme of things.
    Agreed.

But with that said, should we (I like to think of us an intelligent and contributing members of our society) not work to find a better way to help change happen?

If we give up, and let it burn, taking them and us with it, what good has that done? Some theoretical future society will be better?

That's noble, and I admit, I'm not that noble. I'd rather see change in smaller, less destructive increments now, and not wind up in a U.S. that looks like Syria.

I'm not the one self destructing. I'm fully aware of the futility of the power I hold in the grand scheme of things.
    Agreed.

But with that said, should we (I like to think of us an intelligent and contributing members of our society) not work to find a better way to help change happen?

If we give up, and let it burn, taking them and us with it, what good has that done? Some theoretical future society will be better?

That's noble, and I admit, I'm not that noble. I'd rather see change in smaller, less destructive increments now, and not wind up in a U.S. that looks like Syria.
    To that end, I'm weighting vote reform pretty heavily in my calculations of who to support.

It's not even campaign finance reform that's an issue. First past the pole inevitably devolves into a two-party system, which then further devolves into a system with minimal overlap between the two parties. Campaign finance reform would be treating the symptom, not the cause.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those Thukkers, that way I wouldn't have to have any goddamn stupid useless conversations with anybody.
    Failing the Voight-Kampff test, one tortoise at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophichius View Post

Agreed.

To that end, I'm weighting vote reform pretty heavily in my calculations of who to support.

It's not even campaign finance reform that's an issue. First past the pole inevitably devolves into a two-party system, which then further devolves into a system with minimal overlap between the two parties. Campaign finance reform would be treating the symptom, not the cause.
    I've said ti often, one of the best changes we could make here would be systemic, the voting and representative system itself. I.e. make America German-like.

More parties and breaking the two-party stranglehold IMO would be a good start.

In the real world, a Biden-Warren 2020 ticket is probably the best i can hope for.
    Last edited by Alistair; March 12 2018 at 04:30:18 PM.

In the real world, a Biden-Warren 2020 ticket is probably the best i can hope for.
    I'd say it's the best the US can deliver in terms of politicians imo. Biden seemed effective as a vp, the stuff that was put on his desk got done and Warrens loathing of the fat cats of Wall street is hardly a secret.

https://www.thenation.com/article/it...o-abolish-ice/

Should the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency be abolished?

Apparently there is a growing support for this amongst Liberal Democrats.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar

Abolishing ICE simply gives the right another rallying cry.

Content:
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Abolishing ICE simply gives the right another rallying cry.

Content:
    Wasn't really asking from a right/left PR slant, more for a "is it a good idea or not" slant.

By the way, remind me what Obama said to Romney about Russia as a danger. Yeah.

but what about something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    but what about something else?
    Putin-Medvedev 2024? idk

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Trump is amazing. I've never seen anyone drive recruitment into left-wing political groups like him, both in America and abroad.

He has completely destroyed the "both sides are the same" argument that suppressed left-wing voting and allowed a minority of right-wing extremists dictate policy.

We really lucked out here. Could you imagine the damage that would have been done globally if the alt-right had supported someone with Trumps world view and Obama's charisma and competence? Instead of a long, slow boil drop into Facism, we instead have had a short, sharp slap in the face that shown everyone where the alt-right is heading with no way for them to weasle out of it.

God bless ya Trump. You may have actually saved the world. Unintentionally.
    Only if the non-alt-right Republicans grow a spine and the Dems don't fuck it up.
    wont happen, the moderates will be purged and the democrats are the controlled opposition and will remain as such unless couped from below, labour style. the positive thing is that he's rapidly hastening the inevitable collapse of the American empire, i would not be entirely surprised if, through doing that, he ends up delivering a significant reduction in long term carbon emissions by moving the domestic political tensions up 10-15 years.
    We may all get to bask in the glow yet. We Americans love sharing.
    meh

Johan Gatlung, the professor who predicted the collapse of the USSR among other major geopolitical turning points, has said for many years that the end of the USA's empire is fast approaching. He believes that when this happens the USA will become a de-facto dictatorship.

With the way things in the USA have been slowly unraveling ever since 2000 (and especially 9-11), I'm inclined to believe him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7460516.html
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...oviet-collapse
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_...lic_and_empire
    http://www.oldsite.transnational.org...mpireFall.html
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; March 13 2018 at 12:11:02 AM.

Make dictatorships great again

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    USA will become a de-facto idiocracy
    fyp

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    fyp
    That's setting the bar too high.

In idocracy the politicians acknowledged their problems and picked the most intelligent and capable person they could find to fix them.

fyp

In idocracy the politicians acknowledged their problems and picked the most intelligent and capable person they could find to fix them.
    Yeah, we literally have 1/3 of the country that think voting for trump was a good idea. I mean at this point those people are way fucking stupider than anything in idiocracy.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    fyp

Yeah, we literally have 1/3 of the country that think voting for trump was a good idea. I mean at this point those people are way fucking stupider than anything in idiocracy.
    America. Proving that if you set your mind to it, you can do better than fiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK.

Ahem.

The Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee have decided that their investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 election is over. They have concluded, without actually bothering to investigate, that there was no collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians. Their investigation in the Departments of Justice and State continue.

“The bottom line: The Russians did commit active measures against our election in ’16, and we think they will do that in the future,” Mr. Conaway said. But, he added, “We disagree with the narrative that they were trying to help Trump.”
    There is some suggestion that this is Nunes's decision and has caught other Republicans off guard with its blatant bullshit. Some of them are trying to walk it back.

Statement from Schiff is blistering, to say the least.

Today, the House Majority has announced it is terminating the Russia investigation, leaving to others the important work of determining the full extent of Russian interference in our election, the role of U.S. persons connected to the Trump campaign in that intervention, possible efforts to obstruct the investigation by the President and most important, what needs to be done to protect the country going forward. While the Majority members of our committee have indicated for some time that they have been under great pressure to end the investigation, it is nonetheless another tragic milestone for this Congress, and represents yet another capitulation to the executive branch. By ending its oversight role in the only authorized investigation in the House, the Majority has placed the interests of protecting the President over protecting the country, and history will judge its actions harshly.
    Some current speculation ties the timing of this to tomorrow's special election in Pennsylvania where a Democratic challenger is currently polling neck and neck with, or even a few points ahead of, the republican in a district that Trump won by 20 points. They may be hoping that "INVESTIGATION CONCLUDES, NO COLLUSION" is enough of a headline to swing the vote their way.

Trump, of course, tweeted it out in all caps.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

I wanted to post something here but... lolmerica is all i can come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    At least you don't live here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    At least you don't live here.
    meh