hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2873 of 3020 FirstFirst ... 187323732773282328632870287128722873287428752876288329232973 ... LastLast
Results 57,441 to 57,460 of 60396

Thread: US Politics Thread

That’s fine, we just won’t send any tax money.
    meh

Start billing the federal government for looking after their forests?
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Sue the federal government for the damage to state and private property caused by forestry mismanagement. Use Trump's statements as proof that federal forests where mismanaged.

One of two outcomes:
    A court finds that Trump lied.
    The federal government is forced to pay for the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Sue the federal government for the damage to state and private property caused by forestry mismanagement.
    Didn't work when States sued the Feds for damages/costs related to illegal immigration, so yeah, wouldn't expect that to work now either.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Sue the federal government for the damage to state and private property caused by forestry mismanagement. Use Trump's statements as proof that federal forests where mismanaged.

One of two outcomes:
    A court finds that Trump lied.
    The federal government is forced to pay for the damage.
    Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovere...#United_States
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Just start calling him a spoiled brat, then watch as he tries to deny it.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

dankest timeline

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    I'm honestly surprised they haven't either started calling him a giant baby or a wanna be dictator by now.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't either started calling him a giant baby or a wanna be dictator by now.
    A majority of Americans do pretty much think he’s a giant man baby.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Yeah but you need to talk to his supporters and I feel going the dictator route might do that better.

Yeah but you need to talk to his supporters and I feel going the dictator route might do that better.
    That’s what they want though. They are a cult of morons.
    meh

That’s what they want though. They are a cult of morons.

You do have to give Trump credit for the unintentional irony.

The US Forest Service budget has been slashed by billions, hampering fire mitigation efforts, while the costs of*fire suppression continue to rise, eating up larger percentages of the budget each year.

And, this year, federal firefighters are behind: furloughed by the shutdown, the fire risk-mitigation actions like clearing brush and planned burns that typically take place during the winter months have been stopped. One forest service firefighter told the Washington Post*this week*that he’s lost sleep worrying about the kindling he and his crews would typically clear, that’s now waiting to ignite on the forest floor. “[Trump] said we need more forest management,” the firefighter said. “And yeah, we absolutely need to.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...f-fema-funding

You really don't.

Whats become increasingly clear over the past couple of years is that there is a hardcore 20-30% in many western countries (including America) that will support right-wing authoritarians no matter what they do.

The left needs to concentrate on unification, energising its base and persuading independents to vote for them.

Winning over the hard-core never-left shouldn't even be part of the calculation. They are not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    You really don't.

Whats become increasingly clear over the past couple of years is that there is a hardcore 20-30% in many western countries (including America) that will support right-wing authoritarians no matter what they do.

The left needs to concentrate on unification, energising its base and persuading independents to vote for them.

Winning over the hard-core never-left shouldn't even be part of the calculation. They are not needed.
    You misunderstand.. There are Trump supported who want this and Trump supporters that still think he's doing the best job he can under the circumstances. What you are attempting to do is isolate the hardcore group so even the other 'supporters' think they are nuts and don't want to be associated with them.

Also I live in a country where voting is compulsory, so we at least have the advantage that the 20% are never going to have enough power to actually do anything.

You really don't.

You misunderstand.. There are Trump supported who want this and Trump supporters that still think he's doing the best job he can under the circumstances. What you are attempting to do is isolate the hardcore group so even the other 'supporters' think they are nuts and don't want to be associated with them.

Also I live in a country where voting is compulsory, so we at least have the advantage that the 20% are never going to have enough power to actually do anything.
    Quite frankly: this. The objective it to keep your own sheep high and dry, while driving wedges into Trump's base in order to split of the doubters. You'll never even reach the hardcore, so why bother. They don't matter anyway, they're too small in numbers. It's the ones who voted Trump because they wanted 'change' that matter.

The difficulty is reaching them without being pictured as the establishment trying to thwart Trump on general principle. That is why it is important that this is 'Trump's shutdown', and why Chuck is constantly hammering him about throwing a 'temper tantrum'.

I personally think that this shutdown will either make or break Trump and the GOP politically. It's their last shot to get anything serious done before 2020 policy wise. Trump will have to say uncle sometime, because he and the GOP are bleeding support. And those up for election in 2020, especially in the senate (Trump won't make it), know it very well. And at that point it will become clear that Trump can't even get his signature campaign promise done. So much for the dealmaker. He'll have put 800k federal works through a miserable Xmas + weeks, and have nothing to show for it. And the shots of national parks covered in garbage will keep on coming. Never mind the massive fires in spring. He'll be, in effect, a lame duck president till 2020, with a federal prosecutor and the house hot on his trail.

A lot of those 'Trump change' voters will have abandoned him by then, if they haven't already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    You really don't.

Quite frankly: this. The objective it to keep your own sheep high and dry, while driving wedges into Trump's base in order to split of the doubters. You'll never even reach the hardcore, so why bother. They don't matter anyway, they're too small in numbers. It's the ones who voted Trump because they wanted 'change' that matter.

The difficulty is reaching them without being pictured as the establishment trying to thwart Trump on general principle. That is why it is important that this is 'Trump's shutdown', and why Chuck is constantly hammering him about throwing a 'temper tantrum'.

I personally think that this shutdown will either make or break Trump and the GOP politically. It's their last shot to get anything serious done before 2020 policy wise. Trump will have to say uncle sometime, because he and the GOP are bleeding support. And those up for election in 2020, especially in the senate (Trump won't make it), know it very well. And at that point it will become clear that Trump can't even get his signature campaign promise done. So much for the dealmaker. He'll have put 800k federal works through a miserable Xmas + weeks, and have nothing to show for it. And the shots of national parks covered in garbage will keep on coming. Never mind the massive fires in spring. He'll be, in effect, a lame duck president till 2020, with a federal prosecutor and the house hot on his trail.

A lot of those 'Trump change' voters will have abandoned him by then, if they haven't already.
    There is still retribution owed to his base.

You really don't.

That's not how you get the doubters to switch camp.

Anyway, the hardcore will be fucked anyway. They basically fuck themselves. The more so from now on, because I doubt they'll sit on their hands while Trump's wings are being clipped. And the deeper they dig in, the more untenable their position will become.

Meanwhile; always keep an eye on the prize: a landslide against Trump and the GOP in 2020. The odd lunatic shouting at speaker's corner after that doesn't matter. The immediate objective is to tar as much of the GOP, Fox News, and the right wingnuts with Trump, and Trumpism. Which shouldn't be too hard, as they are all in bed together already anyway ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

You really don't.

That's not how you get the doubters to switch camp.

Anyway, the hardcore will be fucked anyway. They basically fuck themselves. The more so from now on, because I doubt they'll sit on their hands while Trump's wings are being clipped. And the deeper they dig in, the more untenable their position will become.

Meanwhile; always keep an eye on the prize: a landslide against Trump and the GOP in 2020. The odd lunatic shouting at speaker's corner after that doesn't matter. The immediate objective is to tar as much of the GOP, Fox News, and the right wingnuts with Trump, and Trumpism. Which shouldn't be too hard, as they are all in bed together already anyway ...
    This is what I mean. Think of the media equivalent of shaving heads.