hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2507 of 2515 FirstFirst ... 150720072407245724972504250525062507250825092510 ... LastLast
Results 50,121 to 50,140 of 50287

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    I've read that green energy could eventually create several million jobs.

This is why its hard not to get mad at liberals/environmentalists for being so stupid. They had the perfect way to pitch this, but for decades they allowed conservatives to control the narrative.

"This will be terrible for our economy!"

"Yeah but what matters is our planet"
    anybody who prioritizes short term profits over the long term habitability of the planet should be institutionalized tbh, they're clearly a danger to the public as a whole.

also, any bets on the outcome of this corporate murder ?, a large settlement where the slimy lawyer scores the majority and the power company walks away with no responsibility what so ever would be my guess.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

This is why its hard not to get mad at liberals/environmentalists for being so stupid. They had the perfect way to pitch this, but for decades they allowed conservatives to control the narrative.

That’s the fundamental flaw in the Democratic Party. Clinton’s platform talked about green energy jobs, often in some detail (with explicit mention of training fossil fuel industry workers in wind/solar jobs)... but she was unable to actually frame the debate around the core idea of “Theres an enormous amount of work to be done, therefore there’s an enormous amount of money to be made, both for workers and for investors.”

Of course while she was doing that she was also taking money from the oil and gas industry and talking about how fracking is still a good idea as a bridge process to get us over the hump into some magic green future where we let capitalists prospect for new deposits but then don’t let them extract them, while being dependent upon those same capitalists to get elected.

It really is astounding how inept the party is.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post

anybody who prioritizes short term profits over the long term habitability of the planet should be institutionalized tbh, they're clearly a danger to the public as a whole.

also, any bets on the outcome of this corporate murder ?, a large settlement where the slimy lawyer scores the majority and the power company walks away with no responsibility what so ever would be my guess.
    Not the majority, just 1/3. That’s standard under any contingency agreement, which is usually how wrongful death litigation is paid for by the plaintiff. Her estate would get any remainder.

/lawyer

wow, that story is heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern View Post

how about a 1 year old going to court ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

land of the free, home of the brave.

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Trump is a big ole cunt, convince me otherwise

Sent from my iPhtapa
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.

Quote Originally Posted by NoirAvlaa View Post

land of the free, home of the brave.
    nothing says freedom and bravery like baby-snatching and putting said babies in concentration camps.
    Viking, n.:

Huffpost ding ding ding

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sponk View Post
    I would also argue the opposite. You can have a media organisation with lots of neutral POV articles, but be partisan with which stories are covered and which are not.

My lines in the sand are media companies that

* misrepresent the facts, and/or
    * mix facts and opinion in the same article/news session etc.
    That's still inherently biased in some way due to the basic nature of people writing it though. Which topics are covered, which are given precedence or prominence, which facts are omitted, who is writing it, what words and phrases are chosen, hell, even the way it's formatted to bring your attention to some things over others.
    I don't think that bias is inherently a bad thing and can't be dealt with by an interested consumer. But the consumer has to put some (low) effort into it: educate himself towards what side the organization/individual in question leans towards. I know which German magazines/newspapers lean towards what political direction. I know that for TV senders, too. As a consumer, I just have to make sure that I check news from both sides and then make up my mind.

This implies, of course, that the coverage of those organizations is the truth, amended with their (biased) opinion. But that they don't leave out or even twist important facts from their reporting. Let alone making things up on the fly. If that's the case, then it's no longer news, but propaganda.

That's why I personally prefer TV formats, where representatives from different spectrum are participating. German example: Presseclub (similar to Meet the press, if I'm not mistaken).

[Added]
    If it wasn't for the bias of certain news outlets, some important, but totally "non sexy" topics wouldn't have surfaced and made it into the public discusson, soemtimes even resulting in a change for good.
    Last edited by Hel OWeen; July 9 2018 at 03:47:39 PM.

The idea that the consumer is capable, willing or even engaged enough to have a vested interest in news quality to police media platforms through the existing marketplace is incredibly naive. You can look at just about any national media landscape to see it doesn't work that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

King of the Food Thread
    Make America great again, one threat at a time...

"A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly. [...] American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children. When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs. The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced."

"In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them."

Make America fat again...

"During the same Geneva meeting where the breast-feeding resolution was debated, the United States succeeded in removing statements supporting soda taxes from a document that advises countries grappling with soaring rates of obesity."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/h...dor-trump.html

You can dicuss media bias all day long, but there us so much backward BS comming from this WH. Having watched Fox and MSNBC in equal parts during the election, yes US media landscape is a bizare shithole, but the media is not the real culprit here. Also, you can't really complain about bullying if you're the biggest bully.

Chances are even that it was because someone has a buddy at Nestlé, or they got upset at the mention of tiddies, or secretly resent that their mom had to go back to work as soon as the stitches healed and need to take it out on the world.

Which is really one of those things that boggles my mind, the state of maternity benefits in the land of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post
    Chances are even that it was because someone has a buddy at Nestlé, or they got upset at the mention of tiddies, or secretly resent that their mom had to go back to work as soon as the stitches healed and need to take it out on the world.

Which is really one of those things that boggles my mind, the state of maternity benefits in the land of opportunity.
    what is there to have your mind boggle about ? simply treating the workers as disposable trash, who's only purpose is to increase profits, preferably 24 hours a day if at all possible splendidly explains that.

indeed, for the system to be properly efficient mothers should go back to work just after getting the actual stitches, who needs time with their offspring anyway?
    Viking, n.:

I believe mewninn's point was that dichotomy is fallacious to start with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    Quote Originally Posted by quarky View Post
    Make America great again, one threat at a time...

"A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly. [...] American officials sought to water down the resolution by removing language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breast-feeding” and another passage that called on policymakers to restrict the promotion of food products that many experts say can have deleterious effects on young children. When that failed, they turned to threats, according to diplomats and government officials who took part in the discussions. Ecuador, which had planned to introduce the measure, was the first to find itself in the cross hairs. The Americans were blunt: If Ecuador refused to drop the resolution, Washington would unleash punishing trade measures and withdraw crucial military aid. The Ecuadorean government quickly acquiesced."

"In the end, the Americans’ efforts were mostly unsuccessful. It was the Russians who ultimately stepped in to introduce the measure — and the Americans did not threaten them."

Make America fat again...

"During the same Geneva meeting where the breast-feeding resolution was debated, the United States succeeded in removing statements supporting soda taxes from a document that advises countries grappling with soaring rates of obesity."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/h...dor-trump.html

You can dicuss media bias all day long, but there us so much backward BS comming from this WH. Having watched Fox and MSNBC in equal parts during the election, yes US media landscape is a bizare shithole, but the media is not the real culprit here. Also, you can't really complain about bullying if you're the biggest bully.
    You have to break a few eggs (babies) to make an omelette (profit).
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

And yet still the centrists want to compromise with these people, despite the fact that they're clearly acting in bad faith.