hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2525 of 2525 FirstFirst ... 152520252425247525152522252325242525
Results 50,481 to 50,499 of 50499

Thread: USA Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    When was the last time inequality was this bad?
    Edwardian England. I'd need to check Pickety to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Your understanding of history is abysmal.

Your edit doesn't even make sense, do you even understand basic economics?
    Are you actually saying that society has more inequality now than when you could literally own other humans?
    No I asked the question. Obviously things change when you consider income inequality vs wealth inequality, globalised vs localised etc.

The obvious 'recent' spike in inequality which comes to mind was the late 20s. Don't know how that compares to others though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Is this a real question

edit: oh, you're being a cheeky chap and using the "total" inequality between the ultra rich and the poor, not the relative inequality from say... slavery? I should have remembered to parse your question through the "capitalism REEEEEEEEE" filter first.
    Well, the OECD definition for income inequality is the difference between the highest and the lowest 10% earners of the population in a country. The question is very real, of course, and makes complete sense: OECD says the last time it was this bad was "half a century ago". It's not a question that really requires any filters.

That's a relative measure, of course. In absolute terms of course things have gotten better, but that's not a measure of inequality. What does inequality mean to you?

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I remember Pickety to say around the turn of the previous century, i.e., around the Boer war. For the UK that is.

WW1 destroyed a lot of capital, particularly for the wealthy, the Great Depression still more, and WW2 wiped out the moneyed classes in the UK. Since the 80ies things have gone down again. Peak wealth equality was around the 60ies for the UK.

Wealth equality got screwed big time when the baby boomers hit 40.

All from memory ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

Wealth equality got screwed big time when the baby boomers hit 40.

All from memory ...
    Speaking of that. I am amazed the inter-generational 'got mine, fuck you' babyboomer discussion has shut down the last few years. Well in Hollandistan it has maybe not so much in your country. Or maybe there is new lingo that i am missing for that.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post

Speaking of that. I am amazed the inter-generational 'got mine, fuck you' babyboomer discussion has shut down the last few years. Well in Hollandistan it has maybe not so much in your country. Or maybe there is new lingo that i am missing for that.
    Baby boomers are a significant voting and consumer bloc with a disproportionate share of generational wealth. Why would any media company risk pissing off the cash cow and why would any politician want to alienate them?
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    ...yet, I also know that that Friendliness is almost always skindeep.
    Your world must be a sad and lonely place.
    meh

Half of American adults say they suffer from loneliness, seems pretty reasonable to make the statement that friendliness is skin deep there.

Half of American adults say they suffer from loneliness, seems pretty reasonable to make the statement that friendliness is skin deep there.
    Is it more than than anywhere though?

You guys actually appointed a government minister about it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#1f0bfc8f6cc5
    meh

Damnit. Missed the first post on the page.

Lordy, there ARE tapes!!!

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s longtime lawyer, Michael D. Cohen, secretly recorded a conversation with Mr. Trump two months before the presidential election in which they discussed payments to a former Playboy model who said she had an affair with Mr. Trump, according to lawyers and others familiar with the recording.

The F.B.I. seized the recording this year during a raid on Mr. Cohen’s office.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/u...rump-tape.html

Edit:
    "Rudolph W. Giuliani, Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer, confirmed in a telephone conversation on Friday that Mr. Trump had discussed the payments with Mr. Cohen"
    Last edited by Don Rumata; July 20 2018 at 04:16:22 PM.

He just publication said he'd happily turn over a US ambassador to Russia and 79% of the GOP voters were happy with that. No one gives two shits if he gave money to some skank. He could coat hanger a registered on live TV and they'd forgive him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

The best part about Giuliani talking on the record about Cohen tapes is that he destroyed any ability to claim attorney-client privilege between Trump and Cohen regarding that discussion.

These people are incredibly stupid.

they dont need to be smart when they can just ignore the judical branch and put you on a kill list in the disposition matrix and no one will protest because americans are spineless

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...l-list-699334/

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    The best part about Giuliani talking on the record about Cohen tapes is that he destroyed any ability to claim attorney-client privilege between Trump and Cohen regarding that discussion.

The tapes were already confiscated.

The contents were already leaked to the media.

Apart from "not admissible in court" if it ever reached a court.....what privilege was left exactly?

I expect we'll be hearing (via the media) a whole assortment of "privileged" communication between Cohen and Trump over time as the contents of the Cohen raid are disseminated by leakers.

In this case, the Court of Public Opinion > Some Theoretical Future Court Case that would require this evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    they dont need to be smart when they can just ignore the judical branch and put you on a kill list in the disposition matrix and no one will protest because americans are spineless

From Wikipedia page on "Disposition Matrix" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposition_Matrix:

Developed by the Obama administration beginning in 2010, the "Disposition Matrix" goes beyond existing kill lists and is intended to become a permanent fixture of U.S. policy. The process determining criteria for killing is not public and was heavily shaped by National Counterterrorism Director and former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director John O. Brennan.
    I remember debates on this back when. Wasn't a fan of it then, not a fan of it now.

Interesting in that this policy has survived when the other policies of similar questionable legal status (from the Bush Era) have all been halted/publicly renounced for the most part.

The U.S. extrajudicial drone-strike program (and it's rather large amount of innocent/civilian victims) will I think be a black eye (one of many) for the future view of post-9/11 United states history.
    Last edited by Alistair; July 20 2018 at 06:51:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post

The tapes were already confiscated.

The contents were already leaked to the media.

Apart from "not admissible in court" if it ever reached a court.....what privilege was left exactly?

I expect we'll be hearing (via the media) a whole assortment of "privileged" communication between Cohen and Trump over time as the contents of the Cohen raid are disseminated by leakers.

In this case, the Court of Public Opinion > Some Theoretical Future Court Case that would require this evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

From Wikipedia page on "Disposition Matrix" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposition_Matrix:

Developed by the Obama administration beginning in 2010, the "Disposition Matrix" goes beyond existing kill lists and is intended to become a permanent fixture of U.S. policy. The process determining criteria for killing is not public and was heavily shaped by National Counterterrorism Director and former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director John O. Brennan.
    I remember debates on this back when. Wasn't a fan of it then, not a fan of it now.

Interesting in that this policy has survived when the other policies of similar questionable legal status (from the Bush Era) have all been halted/publicly renounced for the most part.

The U.S. extrajudicial drone-strike program (and it's rather large amount of innocent/civilian victims) will I think be a black eye (one of many) for the future view of post-9/11 United states history.
    You know what's funny? How Hollywood was one step ahead of general public with all those spy thrillers. Ones where bad guy was an excel guy vs old school boots on the ground guy. Winter Soldier, latest Bonds etc.

Lemme tell ya what Trumptin's 42D chess strategy is:

Whites are good, brownies are bad. Ergo US and Russia are friends when the race wars begin due to ecologic meltdown.

Truly the darkest timeline