hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2025 of 3021 FirstFirst ... 1025152519251975201520222023202420252026202720282035207521252525 ... LastLast
Results 40,481 to 40,500 of 60410

Thread: US Politics Thread

  1. #40481
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,550
    https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...roy-moore.html



    Obviously he's a shoe-in at this point. They're not gonna vote for no dirty D.

  2. #40482
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,232
    Roy Moore is pretty amazing.

    Spoilered for big image.
      Spoiler:

    Him casually waving a gun around at a rally. He bills himself as a judge, although he has been kicked off the bench twice.

    Most people, if they’ve heard of Moore at all, remember him vaguely as “the 10-Commandments judge.” This shorthand hardly does justice to the multi-year legal and PR spectacle Moore waged for the right to blend church and state. The flamboyantly pious Moore launched his career-making crusade in 1992, by placing a wooden plaque of the 10 Commandments in his Etowah County courtroom. The ensuing cultural and legal battles raised his profile and helped him get elected chief justice of the state supreme court in 2001. Shortly after being sworn in, he upped the culture-war ante by installing a massive granite monument of the 10 Commandments smack dab in the middle of the court building’s lobby. Lawsuits followed, and a federal judge ordered the monument—affectionately nicknamed The Rock—removed. Moore refused. Two years and multiple court rulings later (none in Moore’s favor), the conservative champion was officially booted from the bench by a judicial ethics panel.

    By then, however, Moore was a hero among social conservatives, a fierce Christian warrior who put principles over power. He spent the next few years traveling the country with The Rock, speaking—preaching, really—to fellow warriors about the need to restore this nation to its Christian roots.

    In 2012, Moore returned to the political arena, reclaiming his seat as Alabama’s chief justice. Before long, he was back on the national radar, this time for defying federal law regarding same-sex marriage. Now, Moore has never been a big fan of gay rights. He is on record as believing that “sodomy” should be illegal, drawing parallels between it and bestiality, and decreeing that homosexuality renders a person fundamentally unfit for parenthood. During his first run as chief justice, he used a 2002 custody case as an occasion to pen a fiery screed against “homosexual behavior,” denouncing it as “a crime against nature, an inherent evil, and an act so heinous that it defies one's ability to describe it.”

    Small wonder that, in 2016, the chief justice directed Alabama probate judges to ignore the Supreme Court’s recent decision legalizing same-sex marriages and to continue enforcing the state’s ban on such unions by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Once more, he was brought up on judicial-ethics charges and, in September of last year, was suspended from office. He resigned shortly thereafter to run for Senate.

    Just to review: Moore had his judicial wings clipped—twice—for refusing to uphold the law of the land.

    Even when not on the bench, Moore found ways now and again to grab the spotlight. In 2006, when Keith Ellison became the first Muslim elected to Congress, Moore penned an op-ed for World Net Daily, asserting that Ellison should not be allowed to serve in the House because of his religion. Ellison’s request to be sworn in on the Quran (rather than the Bible) really got Moore’s goat. In addition to arguing that someone who embraces the Quran cannot possibly commit himself to the U.S. Constitution (to be fair, Moore is an expert on the subject of putting one’s religious beliefs ahead of the rule of law), the erstwhile judge argued that “common sense alone dictates that in the midst of a war with Islamic terrorists we should not place someone in a position of great power who shares their doctrine.”
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-moore/541467/

    "I write specially to state that the homosexual conduct of a parent -- conduct involving a sexual relationship between two persons of the same gender -- creates a strong presumption of unfitness that alone is sufficient justification for denying that parent custody of his or her own children or prohibiting the adoption of the children of others," he said in one of the opinion's more tame passages.
    In others, Moore labeled "homosexual conduct" by parents as being "detrimental to the children," writing that it "is, and has been, considered abhorrent, immoral, detestable, a crime against nature, and a violation of the laws of nature and of nature's God upon which this nation and our laws are predicated."
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politi...its/index.html
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  3. #40483
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    17,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Roy Moore is pretty amazing.

    Spoilered for big image.
      Spoiler:

    Him casually waving a gun around at a rally. He bills himself as a judge, although he has been kicked off the bench twice.

    Most people, if they’ve heard of Moore at all, remember him vaguely as “the 10-Commandments judge.” This shorthand hardly does justice to the multi-year legal and PR spectacle Moore waged for the right to blend church and state. The flamboyantly pious Moore launched his career-making crusade in 1992, by placing a wooden plaque of the 10 Commandments in his Etowah County courtroom. The ensuing cultural and legal battles raised his profile and helped him get elected chief justice of the state supreme court in 2001. Shortly after being sworn in, he upped the culture-war ante by installing a massive granite monument of the 10 Commandments smack dab in the middle of the court building’s lobby. Lawsuits followed, and a federal judge ordered the monument—affectionately nicknamed The Rock—removed. Moore refused. Two years and multiple court rulings later (none in Moore’s favor), the conservative champion was officially booted from the bench by a judicial ethics panel.

    By then, however, Moore was a hero among social conservatives, a fierce Christian warrior who put principles over power. He spent the next few years traveling the country with The Rock, speaking—preaching, really—to fellow warriors about the need to restore this nation to its Christian roots.

    In 2012, Moore returned to the political arena, reclaiming his seat as Alabama’s chief justice. Before long, he was back on the national radar, this time for defying federal law regarding same-sex marriage. Now, Moore has never been a big fan of gay rights. He is on record as believing that “sodomy” should be illegal, drawing parallels between it and bestiality, and decreeing that homosexuality renders a person fundamentally unfit for parenthood. During his first run as chief justice, he used a 2002 custody case as an occasion to pen a fiery screed against “homosexual behavior,” denouncing it as “a crime against nature, an inherent evil, and an act so heinous that it defies one's ability to describe it.”

    Small wonder that, in 2016, the chief justice directed Alabama probate judges to ignore the Supreme Court’s recent decision legalizing same-sex marriages and to continue enforcing the state’s ban on such unions by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Once more, he was brought up on judicial-ethics charges and, in September of last year, was suspended from office. He resigned shortly thereafter to run for Senate.

    Just to review: Moore had his judicial wings clipped—twice—for refusing to uphold the law of the land.

    Even when not on the bench, Moore found ways now and again to grab the spotlight. In 2006, when Keith Ellison became the first Muslim elected to Congress, Moore penned an op-ed for World Net Daily, asserting that Ellison should not be allowed to serve in the House because of his religion. Ellison’s request to be sworn in on the Quran (rather than the Bible) really got Moore’s goat. In addition to arguing that someone who embraces the Quran cannot possibly commit himself to the U.S. Constitution (to be fair, Moore is an expert on the subject of putting one’s religious beliefs ahead of the rule of law), the erstwhile judge argued that “common sense alone dictates that in the midst of a war with Islamic terrorists we should not place someone in a position of great power who shares their doctrine.”
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-moore/541467/

    "I write specially to state that the homosexual conduct of a parent -- conduct involving a sexual relationship between two persons of the same gender -- creates a strong presumption of unfitness that alone is sufficient justification for denying that parent custody of his or her own children or prohibiting the adoption of the children of others," he said in one of the opinion's more tame passages.
    In others, Moore labeled "homosexual conduct" by parents as being "detrimental to the children," writing that it "is, and has been, considered abhorrent, immoral, detestable, a crime against nature, and a violation of the laws of nature and of nature's God upon which this nation and our laws are predicated."
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politi...its/index.html
    "pious"

    You don't get to say that when you are an evil retard.
    meh

  4. #40484
    Venec's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Europe's Mexico - Poland
    Posts
    8,427
    "Laws of nature"

    Which ones exactly? Made by whom? Always my favourite argument.

  5. #40485
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    10,005
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    "pious"

    You don't get to say that when you are an evil retard.
    Usually those go hand in hand don't they? Thus commanded supply side Jesus

  6. #40486
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    17,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    "pious"

    You don't get to say that when you are an evil retard.
    Usually those go hand in hand don't they? Thus commanded supply side Jesus
    Claims of piousness, sure. I've seen actual pious individuals. I'm not cynical enough yet to say they don't exist.
    meh

  7. #40487
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    14,550
    Trump is on a roll. Of being more awful every passing day.

  8. #40488

    Join Date
    July 14, 2013
    Posts
    2,100
    Going after the mayor of san juan is a special touch.
    Quarantined and loving life.

  9. #40489

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    You don't get to say that when you are an evil retard.
    He also thinks preschool is a liberal plot to indoctrinate children into their ways, much like the Nazis.

    Not even making this up.

  10. #40490
    SAI Peregrinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13, 2011
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    "Laws of nature"

    Which ones exactly? Made by whom? Always my favourite argument.


    * Only applies at "ordinary" energy levels. Warranty void near black holes, supernovae, etc. Some morons will talk about other laws, but they're generally religious claptrap.

  11. #40491
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    24,319
    That Roy Moore guy sounds like the sort of elected representative you'd get from the greatest nation on the planet. He's obviously smart, socially aware and a good role model for everyone :cryingeagle:
    Look, the wages you withheld from the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves for slaughter.

  12. #40492
    Omega Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    "Laws of nature"

    Which ones exactly? Made by whom? Always my favourite argument.
    The only kidn that matter.


  13. #40493
    vDJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Location
    �� out there
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    "Laws of nature"

    Which ones exactly? Made by whom? Always my favourite argument.


    * Only applies at "ordinary" energy levels. Warranty void near black holes, supernovae, etc. Some morons will talk about other laws, but they're generally religious claptrap.
    https://youtu.be/N3472Q6kvg0

    Rules of nature > laws of nature

  14. #40494
    Malcanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Posts
    18,630
    g = GMm/r^2 therefore god hates queers and helping poor people, true story
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    And btw, you're such a fucking asshole it genuinely amazes me on a regular basis how you manage to function.

  15. #40495
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    19,003
    Nah your thinking of the Rule of the Jungle

  16. #40496
    Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    Posts
    17,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Nah your thinking of the Rule of the Jungle
    No that's disco boogie breakdown rules

    Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    anything soviet is of evil

  17. #40497
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    12,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Going after the mayor of san juan is a special touch.
    Using the transport unions to hold the vital supplies hostage for political reasons is the extra special touch.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  18. #40498
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,232
    Well that was a quick week.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  19. #40499
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    10,005
    GOD BLESS THIS PRESIDENT


  20. #40500
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    Going after the mayor of san juan is a special touch.
    Using the transport unions to hold the vital supplies hostage for political reasons is the extra special touch.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...
    Johns Hopkins CSSE COVID-19 Dashboard (updated link)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •