hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2963 of 3021 FirstFirst ... 19632463286329132953296029612962296329642965296629733013 ... LastLast
Results 59,241 to 59,260 of 60410

Thread: US Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Does anyone have a link to AOC's Green New Deal proposal?

The only one I can seem to find online is the Green party's Green New Deal, which I get the feeling is similar but not what AOC is proposing.

A link to the text of the GND Proposed legislation would be very much appreciated.
    https://apps.npr.org/documents/docum...eal-Resolution
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Does anyone have a link to AOC's Green New Deal proposal?

The only one I can seem to find online is the Green party's Green New Deal, which I get the feeling is similar but not what AOC is proposing.

A link to the text of the GND Proposed legislation would be very much appreciated.
    https://apps.npr.org/documents/docum...eal-Resolution
    Also: https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...w-Deal-FAQ.pdf

This is the outline released by her office.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...71047588649?j7

At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.
    One morning several years ago, when most of the office staff was running late — the ex-staffer couldn’t remember the reason — Klobuchar wrote out tardy slips and placed them on each missing aide’s desk. The staffer recalls incredulous bursts of laughter as her co-workers arrived one by one to find the notes, but Klobuchar was deadly serious. An aide whom she called into her office walked back out in tears.
    Imagine having a giant tantrum because a few lanes on the beltway were closed or some security theater was going on in the capital...

The most interesting part of this is the reactions to the article. Much of it runs between "that's what strong women and executives do" and "everyone in politics does this"

Not a great endorsement either way
    News to me, and she's my senator.

edit: Having read the article, she seems more like a hardass than an abuser. Which doesn't surprise me too much.
    Last edited by Nordstern; February 7 2019 at 10:37:14 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

I've met old people who are experts in their industry and they've also been fucking stupid and incapable of thinking outside the box they've lived in for years.

Experience breeds a different form of stupidity to inexperience, neither is necessarily 'worse'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    I've met old people who are experts in their industry and they've also been fucking stupid and incapable of thinking outside the box they've lived in for years.

Experience breeds a different form of stupidity to inexperience, neither is necessarily 'worse'.
    “Beginner’s Mind” is a pretty well known concept. “In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Coutu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post

At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.
    One morning several years ago, when most of the office staff was running late — the ex-staffer couldn’t remember the reason — Klobuchar wrote out tardy slips and placed them on each missing aide’s desk. The staffer recalls incredulous bursts of laughter as her co-workers arrived one by one to find the notes, but Klobuchar was deadly serious. An aide whom she called into her office walked back out in tears.
    Imagine having a giant tantrum because a few lanes on the beltway were closed or some security theater was going on in the capital...

The most interesting part of this is the reactions to the article. Much of it runs between "that's what strong women and executives do" and "everyone in politics does this"

It's going to be a massive shit-show watching Democrats tear themselves apart in the 2020 campaign.
    Why do you assume that is what is going to happen?
    People still assume it will be bad, yet ignore the fact change only comes after events like this and the Democratic party needs to evolve and a nice shit show will do it well. Republicans underwent a horrible period in the 2016 primary and now they've united under a country fuckweasel and made it clear morals are nothing to them, let Democrats evolve beyond a party of knock over old nerds.

More savvy politicians like AOC please less trash like chuck and Nancy
    yea its funny that there's a sudden reverence for people who are only experienced in losing elections

Republicans have held a House majority for what, 20 years out of the last 25?

And Democrats held the House for almost 50 years before that.... when they were unashamedly in favor of social democratic policy and taking care of working people. Shortly after they abandoned that platform, they lost the House.

Really makes you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    And Democrats held the House for almost 50 years before that.... when they were unashamedly in favor of social democratic policy and taking care of working people. Shortly after they abandoned that platform, they lost the House.

Really makes you think.
    But they got it back without giving up their hate, so I guess that says a lot about the american people.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Spoiler:
    A reminder of what you're dealing with,

GOP leader apologizes for tweeting: 'Time for another Kent State'

Michigan Republican leader Dan Adamini is under fire for suggesting 'another Kent State' crackdown amid student demonstrations at the University of California-Berkeley.

But in an interview Sunday with the Detroit Free Press, Dan Adamini, the secretary of the Marquette County Republican Party, said he apologizes, supports peace and was merely trying to prevent further violence and hatred.

"I never should have tried to say that in 140 characters or in a Facebook post," he said.

He said that some have asked advertisers on his radio show to end their support.

"My advertisers are being harassed."

He stresses that "I was not speaking on behalf of the GOP" and he hopes that both sides in the U.S. can learn to disagree without being violent.
    bOtH sIdEs

Addendum: occurred in 2017, he ultimately resigned from his post 'because of death threats'/'so as not to be a hindrance to the GOP'.

Just a little emblematic footnote to the party that I stumbled over today.

IN CURRENT EVENTS,

Last edited by Sparq; February 8 2019 at 07:19:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
      Spoiler:
    A reminder of what you're dealing with,

GOP leader apologizes for tweeting: 'Time for another Kent State'

Michigan Republican leader Dan Adamini is under fire for suggesting 'another Kent State' crackdown amid student demonstrations at the University of California-Berkeley.

But in an interview Sunday with the Detroit Free Press, Dan Adamini, the secretary of the Marquette County Republican Party, said he apologizes, supports peace and was merely trying to prevent further violence and hatred.

"I never should have tried to say that in 140 characters or in a Facebook post," he said.

He said that some have asked advertisers on his radio show to end their support.

"My advertisers are being harassed."

He stresses that "I was not speaking on behalf of the GOP" and he hopes that both sides in the U.S. can learn to disagree without being violent.
    bOtH sIdEs

Addendum: occurred in 2017, he ultimately resigned from his post 'because of death threats'/'so as not to be a hindrance to the GOP'.

Just a little emblematic footnote to the party that I stumbled over today.

IN CURRENT EVENTS,

Jebus, not just what he says, but even the way he says it now. It's really bad. All the pauses. He's really gone downhill hasn't he? He was never a good orator behind the teleprompter (or at all, really), but this is really bad!

I've had special needs students do better than this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post

It's going to be a massive shit-show watching Democrats tear themselves apart in the 2020 campaign.
    Why do you assume that is what is going to happen?
    Because anyone paying any attention can see it's already happening now. I give you more credit that that Barth, come on Prof.
    It is not, actually. There was some pushback against the 'old guard' when the new guns came in, but unity was preserved, Pelosi mostly silenced/dealt with that. And with the GOP and Trump on a run, and which such a target rich environment, the Democratic candidates have all the material to need to run without have to shoot each other down.

And, frankly, they haven't. All the candidates, or potential candidates, have been nothing but courteous to and about each other. Things will, ofcourse, heat up, no doubt; but I doubt we'll see anything like the slagging match we saw on the GOP side in 2016.

Most of this 'it's already happening now' nonsense is mostly right wing media blowing up things again. And you fell for it, again.

Common Alistair: you can do better than that!

Knows all the words.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

We already have:
    Bernie is a racist for giving a response to the State of the Union after Abrams.
    Edit: Bernie singing with a bunch of half naked Russians.
    Gabbard is the 'motherload of bad ideas', supported by the Russian troll farms, toady to Assad.
    Warren claimed to be American Indian on Texas Bar registration.
    Booker is a sell-out to big-pharma and big finance.
    Harris laughed about sending homeless mothers to jail if their kids missed school.
    Edit: Biden is creepy hands child fondler.

This isn't the candidates openly attacking each other but shivs are being stuck in backs.
    Last edited by Nax; February 8 2019 at 11:19:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nax View Post
    Bernie singing with a bunch of half naked Russians.
    where can i watch this?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Bernie singing with a bunch of half naked Russians.
    where can i watch this?

We already have:
    Bernie is a racist for giving a response to the State of the Union after Abrams.
    Edit: Bernie singing with a bunch of half naked Russians.
    Gabbard is the 'motherload of bad ideas', supported by the Russian troll farms, toady to Assad.
    Warren claimed to be American Indian on Texas Bar registration.
    Booker is a sell-out to big-pharma and big finance.
    Harris laughed about sending homeless mothers to jail if their kids missed school.
    Edit: Biden is creepy hands child fondler.

This isn't the candidates openly attacking each other but shivs are being stuck in backs.
    Sorry, but a 'Democratic shit-show' reads as a shit-show where Democratic candidates slag each other off. Basically like the Bernie HRC debacle at the end of the 2016 primaries (which was mild compared to what went on in the GOP primaries).

All of the stuff you mention above is basically the alt-right conspiracy nuts going in overdrive throwing shit at every wall they can find, hoping some of it may stick.

How is that even remotely the same?

Whatever happens, the GOP and their minions will tar any and all Democratic candidate. And the right wing press will flag up any old bogus story about Democratic divisiveness. Because they (will) have nothing else. But that doesn't mean much or any of that will punch through. Especially not if the Democratic candidates keep it fairly straight among each other.

Which they will, because they have plenty of other targets to point their arrows at. Like Trump. Who a majority of the voters already poll as 'definitely not vote for'.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    https://www.npr.org/2019/02/07/69255...personal-photo

tl;dr:
    Enquirer: We have some embarrassing photos and texts of you, Mr. Bezos. Lie to the public or we'll publish them.
    Bezos: Hmm, these are indeed real and very private. How did you acquire these?
    Enquirer: We're not saying.
    Bezos: *directs his goon squad and WaPo to investigate*
    Enquirer: Stop investigating us or we'll publish more!
    Last edited by Nordstern; February 8 2019 at 11:54:08 AM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

I too think that trying to blackmail the wealthiest sociopath on the planet is a great idea that will have no negative consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2019/02/07/69255...personal-photo

tl;dr:
    Enquirer: We have some embarrassing photos and texts of you, Mr. Bezos. Lie to the public or we'll publish them.
    Bezos: Hmm, these are indeed real and very private. How did you acquire these?
    Enquirer: We're not saying.
    Bezos: *directs his goon squad and WaPo to investigate*
    Enquirer: Stop investigating us or we'll publish more!
    It takes balls to try to blackmail one of/the richest persons in the world, with a newspaper of his own at his back.

And when I say balls, I mean a complete lack of brains.
    Last edited by Bartholomeus Crane; February 8 2019 at 12:13:34 PM.

Two rich men throwing their toys at each other - said toys being major newspapers.