hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2962 of 2981 FirstFirst ... 1962246228622912295229592960296129622963296429652972 ... LastLast
Results 59,221 to 59,240 of 59602

Thread: US Politics Thread

  1. #59221
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    17,829
    Is that wealth that eventually trickles down after pouring upwards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  2. #59222
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Is that wealth that eventually trickles down after pouring upwards?
    I dunno, how's your gag reflex?

  3. #59223
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    California’s prohibition on non-competes is unique in American law.
    It shouldn't be. Give the worker a reason not to move.
    I think we can all agree that there are quite a number of things that 'shouldn't be' in the US that still are ...

    My question (genuinely interested) is why only California prohibits non-competes ... why not every state in the US? Historical reasons?
    The history of voiding non-compete clauses in California employment contracts dates back to 1941 when the California legislature passed Section 1660 of the Business and Professions Code. This section of the Code makes it illegal to enforce any contract that is in “restraint of trade,” i.e., any contract by which the employee is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind. In 2008, the California Supreme Court held this restriction on restraint of trade clauses applies to all employment contracts. Since then it has been clear that non-compete agreements in California employment contracts are unenforceable.
    Loony Liberals.
    For what it's worth this doctrine is being somewhat eroded by the federal courts, who have recently decided a few cases where a "non-compete" agreement was enforced to the extent necessary to protect "trade secrets," relying in part on that other bugbear of the Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code, 17200, which is a very broad "unfair business practices" law.

    As to other states, in most jurisdictions not only can you impose a non-compete on an employee, you can do it at any time post-hire without any compensation other than "we're not going to fire you if you sign this."
    Grr. States rights. Grr.

    Well, I think it should work this way everywhere, because its actually very good for business (just not individual businesses).

  4. #59224
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,189
    Meanwhile, in Seattle a century ago:

    http://socialistworker.org/2019/02/0...r-ran-seattle/

    Hurrah general strikes.

  5. #59225
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    The fawning deference you folks give to (certain) politicians is hilarious. It's almost like you've never actually met an American Politician before...oh, right.

    Hint: They are not nearly as brilliant as you folks might like to believe, Economics degree or not. And they are rarely subject matter experts on anything, including what they went to school for.
    The condescending attitude you give to (certain) young people is annoying. It's almost like you've never actually met an activist before.

    Hint: They are not nearly as naive as you might like to believe, industry experience or not.

    But hey, lets' listen to the experts who know what they're doing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cohn
    “You guys are way over your head, you don’t know how the game is played.”
    Oh, and Tellenta? She's graduated almost a decade ago, so she's not "fresh out of college".
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  6. #59226
    mewninn's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    1,979
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...71047588649?j7

    At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.
    One morning several years ago, when most of the office staff was running late — the ex-staffer couldn’t remember the reason — Klobuchar wrote out tardy slips and placed them on each missing aide’s desk. The staffer recalls incredulous bursts of laughter as her co-workers arrived one by one to find the notes, but Klobuchar was deadly serious. An aide whom she called into her office walked back out in tears.
    Imagine having a giant tantrum because a few lanes on the beltway were closed or some security theater was going on in the capital...

    The most interesting part of this is the reactions to the article. Much of it runs between "that's what strong women and executives do" and "everyone in politics does this"

    Not a great endorsement either way

  7. #59227
    Lief Siddhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15, 2011
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    6,424
    awesome article tbh, the title is clickbait but the text is solid

    Russian-Style Kleptocracy Is Infiltrating America

    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...merica/580471/
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

  8. #59228
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...71047588649?j7

    At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.
    One morning several years ago, when most of the office staff was running late — the ex-staffer couldn’t remember the reason — Klobuchar wrote out tardy slips and placed them on each missing aide’s desk. The staffer recalls incredulous bursts of laughter as her co-workers arrived one by one to find the notes, but Klobuchar was deadly serious. An aide whom she called into her office walked back out in tears.
    Imagine having a giant tantrum because a few lanes on the beltway were closed or some security theater was going on in the capital...

    The most interesting part of this is the reactions to the article. Much of it runs between "that's what strong women and executives do" and "everyone in politics does this"

    Not a great endorsement either way
    Who is klobuchar again?

  9. #59229
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    awesome article tbh, the title is clickbait but the text is solid

    Russian-Style Kleptocracy Is Infiltrating America

    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...merica/580471/

    And I remain happy that I didn’t fall for the Big Law trap.

  10. #59230
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    I'm not going to say that Nordstern isn't showing a bias, but so are you in a big way by trying to build that strawman.
    That's perhaps fair. But I will respectfully maintain that most young and inexperienced "activists" are 99% passion and idealism, 1% actual meaningful knowledge of the subject they're advocating for/against.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    The fawning deference you folks give to (certain) politicians is hilarious. It's almost like you've never actually met an American Politician before...oh, right.

    Hint: They are not nearly as brilliant as you folks might like to believe, Economics degree or not. And they are rarely subject matter experts on anything, including what they went to school for.
    The condescending attitude you give to (certain) young people is annoying. It's almost like you've never actually met an activist before.

    Hint: They are not nearly as naive as you might like to believe, industry experience or not.

    But hey, lets' listen to the experts who know what they're doing!
    Oh, suddenly being a subject matter expert is a bad thing, lol. Can you imagine if someone posted your snarkey "But hey, lets' listen to the experts who know what they're doing!" about say, climate scientists. YES, we SHOULD listen to experts!!

    I've met more than my fair share of activists over the course of my time Nord. Being old and experienced has it's benefits.

    Young activists are generally ignorant and inexperienced kids with big ideals someone fed them that they bought into hook, line and sinker. They have no idea how X industry works in any specificity, they may not have much more than entry-level service job work experience themselves, but they can cite you papers their profiessor told them about (that they skimmed before a kegger) and commentaries they didn't actually understand to support their furious anger over their pet issue.

    Old 'activists' are generally rich, white, very well educated (or batshit crazy) and more about a specific political ideology that anything specific about the issue they are advocating. Bonus points when they're to relive the glories of the 60's.

    Point being, they have a position based upon reading a few lines in a paper, or more usually, watching a documentary or two. They're not informed, they're certainly not subject matter experts and they're not who we should have crafting policy.

    On the flipside, industry insider lobbyists are ALSO not who we should be having crafting policy either. They're clearly bought and paid for by that industry, and for obvious reasons should never be taken at face value.

    So, we hear both, but the folks we listen to most should be the folks in between, the people who have worked in those industries, are legit subject matter experts (either from experience or education/teaching/research in that field) who are not fiscally reliant/involved in that industry. There are plenty of these folks upon which to lean.

    Sure, you listen to the activist, you listen to the lobbyist, they represent the people and the industry. But you get the real meat from that third group. Trouble is, our political leaders rarely care enough to actually do so, and we wind up with elected officials who don;t know shit about the industry who either have the lobbyist, or the activist, driving their legislative agendas.

    Oh, and Tellenta? She's graduated almost a decade ago, so she's not "fresh out of college".
    That's right, she's fresh out of making Vodka Collins and Rum and Cokes for New York's barfly contingent.
    Last edited by Alistair; February 7 2019 at 09:04:52 PM.


  11. #59231
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,968
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...71047588649?j7

    At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.
    One morning several years ago, when most of the office staff was running late — the ex-staffer couldn’t remember the reason — Klobuchar wrote out tardy slips and placed them on each missing aide’s desk. The staffer recalls incredulous bursts of laughter as her co-workers arrived one by one to find the notes, but Klobuchar was deadly serious. An aide whom she called into her office walked back out in tears.
    Imagine having a giant tantrum because a few lanes on the beltway were closed or some security theater was going on in the capital...

    The most interesting part of this is the reactions to the article. Much of it runs between "that's what strong women and executives do" and "everyone in politics does this"

    Not a great endorsement either way
    It's going to be a massive shit-show watching Democrats tear themselves apart in the 2020 campaign.


  12. #59232
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,968
    By the way, I wonder if Nancy Pelosi hates women and is just obsessed with hate for AOC too.....

    Nancy Pelosi just threw some serious shade at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's 'Green New Deal'

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/polit...eal/index.html

    Nancy Pelosi, when asked about the "Green New Deal" in an interview with Politico on Wednesday, Pelosi dropped this amazing bit of shade on it:

    "It will be one of several or maybe many suggestions that we receive. The green dream, or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is, but they're for it, right?"
    .



  13. #59233
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    12,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    I'm not going to say that Nordstern isn't showing a bias, but so are you in a big way by trying to build that strawman.
    That's perhaps fair. But I will respectfully maintain that most young and inexperienced "activists" are 99% passion and idealism, 1% actual meaningful knowledge of the subject they're advocating for/against.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    The fawning deference you folks give to (certain) politicians is hilarious. It's almost like you've never actually met an American Politician before...oh, right.

    Hint: They are not nearly as brilliant as you folks might like to believe, Economics degree or not. And they are rarely subject matter experts on anything, including what they went to school for.
    The condescending attitude you give to (certain) young people is annoying. It's almost like you've never actually met an activist before.

    Hint: They are not nearly as naive as you might like to believe, industry experience or not.

    But hey, lets' listen to the experts who know what they're doing!
    Oh, suddenly being a subject matter expert is a bad thing, lol. Can you imagine if someone posted your snarkey "But hey, lets' listen to the experts who know what they're doing!" about say, climate scientists. YES, we SHOULD listen to experts!!

    I've met more than my fair share of activists over the course of my time Nord. Being old and experienced has it's benefits.

    Young activists are generally ignorant and inexperienced kids with big ideals someone fed them that they bought into hook, line and sinker. They have no idea how X industry works in any specificity, they may not have much more than entry-level service job work experience themselves, but they can cite you papers their profiessor told them about (that they skimmed before a kegger) and commentaries they didn't actually understand to support their furious anger over their pet issue.

    Old 'activists' are generally rich, white, very well educated (or batshit crazy) and more about a specific political ideology that anything specific about the issue they are advocating. Bonus points when they're to relive the glories of the 60's.

    Point being, they have a position based upon reading a few lines in a paper, or more usually, watching a documentary or two. They're not informed, they're certainly not subject matter experts and they're not who we should have crafting policy.

    On the flipside, industry insider lobbyists are ALSO not who we should be having crafting policy either. They're clearly bought and paid for by that industry, and for obvious reasons should never be taken at face value.

    So, we hear both, but the folks we listen to most should be the folks in between, the people who have worked in those industries, are legit subject matter experts (either from experience or education/teaching/research in that field) who are not fiscally reliant/involved in that industry. There are plenty of these folks upon which to lean.

    Sure, you listen to the activist, you listen to the lobbyist, they represent the people and the industry. But you get the real meat from that third group. Trouble is, our political leaders rarely care enough to actually do so, and we wind up with elected officials who don;t know shit about the industry who either have the lobbyist, or the activist, driving their legislative agendas.

    Oh, and Tellenta? She's graduated almost a decade ago, so she's not "fresh out of college".
    That's right, she's fresh out of making Vodka Collins and Rum and Cokes for New York's barfly contingent.
    I see her as a smart, younger woman, following in Trumps footsteps, using a populist message to connect with a pretty decently sized portion of the under 35 demographic, and a fair number of more left leaning older ones, I’m sure.

    After the orange shitweasel and his daily blatant lying, I’m oddly OK with her just saying whatever because it trolls the Rtards.
    meh

  14. #59234
    Bartholomeus Crane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...71047588649?j7

    At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.
    One morning several years ago, when most of the office staff was running late — the ex-staffer couldn’t remember the reason — Klobuchar wrote out tardy slips and placed them on each missing aide’s desk. The staffer recalls incredulous bursts of laughter as her co-workers arrived one by one to find the notes, but Klobuchar was deadly serious. An aide whom she called into her office walked back out in tears.
    Imagine having a giant tantrum because a few lanes on the beltway were closed or some security theater was going on in the capital...

    The most interesting part of this is the reactions to the article. Much of it runs between "that's what strong women and executives do" and "everyone in politics does this"

    Not a great endorsement either way
    It's going to be a massive shit-show watching Democrats tear themselves apart in the 2020 campaign.
    Why do you assume that is what is going to happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

  15. #59235
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    8,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    By the way, I wonder if Nancy Pelosi hates women and is just obsessed with hate for AOC too.....

    Nancy Pelosi just threw some serious shade at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's 'Green New Deal'

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/polit...eal/index.html

    Nancy Pelosi, when asked about the "Green New Deal" in an interview with Politico on Wednesday, Pelosi dropped this amazing bit of shade on it:

    "It will be one of several or maybe many suggestions that we receive. The green dream, or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is, but they're for it, right?"
    .

    No shit, she's an elderly woman who grew up in a different era. She should be in a retirement home, not in a position of power.

    And of course she hates AOC, she unseated one of her oldest colleagues and Pelosi definitely resents her for it. Plus, Pelosi is all about bowing to the wishes of big business.

  16. #59236
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...71047588649?j7

    At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.
    One morning several years ago, when most of the office staff was running late — the ex-staffer couldn’t remember the reason — Klobuchar wrote out tardy slips and placed them on each missing aide’s desk. The staffer recalls incredulous bursts of laughter as her co-workers arrived one by one to find the notes, but Klobuchar was deadly serious. An aide whom she called into her office walked back out in tears.
    Imagine having a giant tantrum because a few lanes on the beltway were closed or some security theater was going on in the capital...

    The most interesting part of this is the reactions to the article. Much of it runs between "that's what strong women and executives do" and "everyone in politics does this"

    Not a great endorsement either way
    It's going to be a massive shit-show watching Democrats tear themselves apart in the 2020 campaign.
    Why do you assume that is what is going to happen?
    Because anyone paying any attention can see it's already happening now. I give you more credit that that Barth, come on Prof.


  17. #59237
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,968
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    After the orange shitweasel and his daily blatant lying, I’m oddly OK with her just saying whatever because it trolls the Rtards.
    Turnabout IS fair play, after all.


  18. #59238
    Jack Coutu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    marketjacker
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...71047588649?j7

    At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.
    One morning several years ago, when most of the office staff was running late — the ex-staffer couldn’t remember the reason — Klobuchar wrote out tardy slips and placed them on each missing aide’s desk. The staffer recalls incredulous bursts of laughter as her co-workers arrived one by one to find the notes, but Klobuchar was deadly serious. An aide whom she called into her office walked back out in tears.
    Imagine having a giant tantrum because a few lanes on the beltway were closed or some security theater was going on in the capital...

    The most interesting part of this is the reactions to the article. Much of it runs between "that's what strong women and executives do" and "everyone in politics does this"

    Not a great endorsement either way
    It's going to be a massive shit-show watching Democrats tear themselves apart in the 2020 campaign.
    Why do you assume that is what is going to happen?
    People still assume it will be bad, yet ignore the fact change only comes after events like this and the Democratic party needs to evolve and a nice shit show will do it well. Republicans underwent a horrible period in the 2016 primary and now they've united under a country fuckweasel and made it clear morals are nothing to them, let Democrats evolve beyond a party of knock over old nerds.

    More savvy politicians like AOC please less trash like chuck and Nancy

  19. #59239
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    13,968
    Does anyone have a link to AOC's Green New Deal proposal?

    The only one I can seem to find online is the Green party's Green New Deal, which I get the feeling is similar but not what AOC is proposing.

    A link to the text of the GND Proposed legislation would be very much appreciated.


  20. #59240
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    By the way, I wonder if Nancy Pelosi hates women and is just obsessed with hate for AOC too.....

    Nancy Pelosi just threw some serious shade at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's 'Green New Deal'

    https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/polit...eal/index.html

    Nancy Pelosi, when asked about the "Green New Deal" in an interview with Politico on Wednesday, Pelosi dropped this amazing bit of shade on it:

    "It will be one of several or maybe many suggestions that we receive. The green dream, or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is, but they're for it, right?"
    .

    Dueling headlines, huh?

    Green New Deal: Ocasio-Cortez, Pelosi paint united front on climate

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/2801407002/

    WASHINGTON – Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi displayed a united front on climate change Thursday despite signs they differ on an ambitious plan to remold much of America's economy.

    "We are 100 percent in this together," Ocasio-Cortez said at a news conference as she unveiled the bold proposal that calls for moving the power grid to 100 percent renewable energy by the 2030s. "We have different solutions, and different mechanisms. (But) this issue faces all of us and we are not going to get divided over it. Period.”

    Earlier Thursday, Pelosi pronounced the Green New Deal an "enthusiastic" plan that she welcomes.
    You really can’t get enough of the “Dems are divided” narrative, can you?
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; February 7 2019 at 10:10:11 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •