hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2960 of 3021 FirstFirst ... 19602460286029102950295729582959296029612962296329703010 ... LastLast
Results 59,181 to 59,200 of 60410

Thread: US Politics Thread

  1. #59181
    Bartholomeus Crane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    I'm unaware of a tradition of stringing up academics ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

  2. #59182
    Bartholomeus Crane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    What do we do with academic rentiers?
    They're properly called: managers ... I'd hardly call them academic BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

  3. #59183
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    I'm unaware of a tradition of stringing up academics ...
    meh

  4. #59184
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    I'm unaware of a tradition of stringing up academics ...
    Unfamiliar with the Cultural Revolution? Plenty of Chinese academics were killed because they were seen as promoting capitalist/imperialist/colonialist values, and their knowledge was deemed suspect or tainted.

    Of course academic purges happen when fascists come to power, as well, because they’re seen as promoting communism/socialism etc.

    But who is it in America that’s leading the anti-academic and anti-intellectual movements? Hint: it’s not the left.

  5. #59185
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    I'm unaware of a tradition of stringing up academics ...
    Unfamiliar with the Cultural Revolution? Plenty of Chinese academics were killed because they were seen as promoting capitalist/imperialist/colonialist values, and their knowledge was deemed suspect or tainted.

    Of course academic purges happen when fascists come to power, as well, because they’re seen as promoting communism/socialism etc.

    But who is it in America that’s leading the anti-academic and anti-intellectual movements? Hint: it’s not the left.
    I really see this trait as an authoritarian populist defect, not necessarily a left/right defect.

    People who lie constantly don't like people who can call them out on it.
    meh

  6. #59186

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    5,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    What do we do with academic rentiers?
    They're properly called: managers ... I'd hardly call them academic BTW.
    Really?

    I was talking about researchers that managed to commercialise their IP.

    What sized lampost should we hang them from for daring to draw long-term income without additional labour?

  7. #59187
    Bartholomeus Crane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    I'm unaware of a tradition of stringing up academics ...
    Unfamiliar with the Cultural Revolution? Plenty of Chinese academics were killed because they were seen as promoting capitalist/imperialist/colonialist values, and their knowledge was deemed suspect or tainted.

    Of course academic purges happen when fascists come to power, as well, because they’re seen as promoting communism/socialism etc.

    But who is it in America that’s leading the anti-academic and anti-intellectual movements? Hint: it’s not the left.
    Ohhh well ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

  8. #59188
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    What do we do with academic rentiers?
    They're properly called: managers ... I'd hardly call them academic BTW.
    Really?

    I was talking about researchers that managed to commercialise their IP.

    What sized lampost should we hang them from for daring to draw long-term income without additional labour?

    No need. Just reform the patent system a bit to shorten the term and require mandatory licensing agreements.

  9. #59189
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    What do we do with academic rentiers?
    They're properly called: managers ... I'd hardly call them academic BTW.
    Really?

    I was talking about researchers that managed to commercialise their IP.

    What sized lampost should we hang them from for daring to draw long-term income without additional labour?

    No need. Just reform the patent system a bit to shorten the term and require mandatory licensing agreements.
    Patents belong to the (trans(wo))man. The company (x|s)he works for maybe gets a free license.
    meh

  10. #59190
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,431
    What is a work-for-hire agreement, Alex?

  11. #59191
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    What is a work-for-hire agreement, Alex?
    IF you are going to rework patents, rework that too. Make craftsmen great again.
    meh

  12. #59192
    Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    9,956
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1PV27N
    Banks weigh whether to embrace or avoid progressive firebrand Ocasio-Cortez

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Court, avoid or sideline?

    Barely a month into the new Congress, financial lobbyists in Washington are already strategizing how to handle the star power of rookie Democrat lawmaker Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

    The Democratic Socialist and Wall Street critic joined the 60-member House Financial Services Committee in mid-January and more than a dozen lobbyists interviewed by Reuters say the 29-year-old activist and former bartender is too high-profile to ignore.

    Richard Hunt, chief executive of the Consumer Bankers Association, said he had not encountered a lawmaker like Ocasio-Cortez in more than 20 years in Washington. “She has the ability to influence unlike a lot of other freshmen.”
    Translation: She's a threat to you.
    The youngest woman ever to serve in Congress, Ocasio-Cortez has become a social media phenomenon with her posts and live-streams on everything from climate change to skin care tips attracting millions of followers across Twitter and Instagram.

    The New York native has proved adept at using humor to explain complex concepts or rebuke opponents, often while preparing dinner or hanging out in her pajamas. A video of the lawmaker dancing outside her Congressional office last month has been viewed 21 million times.

    An economics major and self-confessed “science nerd,” Ocasio-Cortez campaigned on issues that put her at odds with the financial industry, including separating commercial and investment banking, breaking up large banks, and forgiving student debt.

    Central to her campaign has been the rejection of corporate campaign dollars, closing off a traditional avenue for industry access and influence on Capitol Hill.
    How dare that woman turn down your lobbying efforts!
    Now lobbyists fear that her enlarged platform will help the first-term junior lawmaker push her ideas into the mainstream and are trying to figure out how best to respond.

    Lobbyists representing big banks, such as JPMorgan Chase & Co, Citigroup, Bank of America Corp, Wells Fargo and Morgan Stanley, which have embraced progressive causes such as diversity, inclusion, gun control or above-minimum wages, want to push these credentials. They also want to highlight how they employ thousands of people in Ocasio-Cortez’s district in Queens and the Bronx, they said.

    Smaller and mid-size firms, meanwhile, want to distance themselves from Wall Street titans and emphasize their critical role as community lenders.

    Several financial lobbyists, noting she lacks a financial services background, said they were keen to meet with Ocasio-Cortez to explain their business models and issues.
    Most people lack a financial services background. That doesn't make her ignorant. Clearly, you weren't paying attention to her tweets during orientation, where she called out speakers for not disclosing they were lobbyists. A woman with a degree in economics who gives lectures on Modern Monetary Theory and ran on a platform attacking your business models doesn't need you to explain your business models to her.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

  13. #59193
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1PV27N
    Banks weigh whether to embrace or avoid progressive firebrand Ocasio-Cortez

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Court, avoid or sideline?

    Barely a month into the new Congress, financial lobbyists in Washington are already strategizing how to handle the star power of rookie Democrat lawmaker Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

    The Democratic Socialist and Wall Street critic joined the 60-member House Financial Services Committee in mid-January and more than a dozen lobbyists interviewed by Reuters say the 29-year-old activist and former bartender is too high-profile to ignore.

    Richard Hunt, chief executive of the Consumer Bankers Association, said he had not encountered a lawmaker like Ocasio-Cortez in more than 20 years in Washington. “She has the ability to influence unlike a lot of other freshmen.”
    Translation: She's a threat to you.
    The youngest woman ever to serve in Congress, Ocasio-Cortez has become a social media phenomenon with her posts and live-streams on everything from climate change to skin care tips attracting millions of followers across Twitter and Instagram.

    The New York native has proved adept at using humor to explain complex concepts or rebuke opponents, often while preparing dinner or hanging out in her pajamas. A video of the lawmaker dancing outside her Congressional office last month has been viewed 21 million times.

    An economics major and self-confessed “science nerd,” Ocasio-Cortez campaigned on issues that put her at odds with the financial industry, including separating commercial and investment banking, breaking up large banks, and forgiving student debt.

    Central to her campaign has been the rejection of corporate campaign dollars, closing off a traditional avenue for industry access and influence on Capitol Hill.
    How dare that woman turn down your lobbying efforts!
    Now lobbyists fear that her enlarged platform will help the first-term junior lawmaker push her ideas into the mainstream and are trying to figure out how best to respond.

    Lobbyists representing big banks, such as JPMorgan Chase & Co, Citigroup, Bank of America Corp, Wells Fargo and Morgan Stanley, which have embraced progressive causes such as diversity, inclusion, gun control or above-minimum wages, want to push these credentials. They also want to highlight how they employ thousands of people in Ocasio-Cortez’s district in Queens and the Bronx, they said.

    Smaller and mid-size firms, meanwhile, want to distance themselves from Wall Street titans and emphasize their critical role as community lenders.

    Several financial lobbyists, noting she lacks a financial services background, said they were keen to meet with Ocasio-Cortez to explain their business models and issues.
    Most people lack a financial services background. That doesn't make her ignorant. Clearly, you weren't paying attention to her tweets during orientation, where she called out speakers for not disclosing they were lobbyists. A woman with a degree in economics who gives lectures on Modern Monetary Theory and ran on a platform attacking your business models doesn't need you to explain your business models to her.
    First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you.

    Or something.
    meh

  14. #59194
    Bartholomeus Crane's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    What do we do with academic rentiers?
    They're properly called: managers ... I'd hardly call them academic BTW.
    Really?

    I was talking about researchers that managed to commercialise their IP.

    What sized lampost should we hang them from for daring to draw long-term income without additional labour?
    They won't be academics then, because the IP of their research (almost always) belongs to the university/institute.

    As for IP rentiers; researchers, academics, or whatnot: as said, minor tweaks to IP laws and regulations should suffice. The issue here is 'long-term', and that's a relatively easy one to fix.

    As long as you ignore the likes of Disney etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

  15. #59195
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,431
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    What is a work-for-hire agreement, Alex?
    IF you are going to rework patents, rework that too. Make craftsmen great again.
    Perhaps we could adopt some ideas from the former SSRs, which require significant compensation to the worker any time an employer appropriates or uses the worker’s IP to improve the business, and require that any attempt to enforce a non-competition or trade-secret agreement is backed up by compensation to the employee during the period of the contract.

    Of course those former SSRs (or at least the few I’ve had to do significant research into for clients) also have specific carve outs for software, so lol.
    Last edited by Lachesis VII; February 7 2019 at 02:38:37 PM.

  16. #59196

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    2006
    Posts
    5,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    What do we do with academic rentiers?
    They're properly called: managers ... I'd hardly call them academic BTW.
    Really?

    I was talking about researchers that managed to commercialise their IP.

    What sized lampost should we hang them from for daring to draw long-term income without additional labour?
    They won't be academics then, because the IP of their research (almost always) belongs to the university/institute.

    As for IP rentiers; researchers, academics, or whatnot: as said, minor tweaks to IP laws and regulations should suffice. The issue here is 'long-term', and that's a relatively easy one to fix.

    As long as you ignore the likes of Disney etc.
    Woah woah woah now.

    We are talking about revolution here. Hanging rentiers from lamposts and what not.

    This is not a time for rational, well thought out changes to the existing system or subtle nuance between different types of rentiers.

  17. #59197

    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    14,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1PV27N
    Banks weigh whether to embrace or avoid progressive firebrand Ocasio-Cortez

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Court, avoid or sideline?

    Barely a month into the new Congress, financial lobbyists in Washington are already strategizing how to handle the star power of rookie Democrat lawmaker Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

    The Democratic Socialist and Wall Street critic joined the 60-member House Financial Services Committee in mid-January and more than a dozen lobbyists interviewed by Reuters say the 29-year-old activist and former bartender is too high-profile to ignore.

    Richard Hunt, chief executive of the Consumer Bankers Association, said he had not encountered a lawmaker like Ocasio-Cortez in more than 20 years in Washington. “She has the ability to influence unlike a lot of other freshmen.”
    Translation: She's a threat to you.
    The youngest woman ever to serve in Congress, Ocasio-Cortez has become a social media phenomenon with her posts and live-streams on everything from climate change to skin care tips attracting millions of followers across Twitter and Instagram.

    The New York native has proved adept at using humor to explain complex concepts or rebuke opponents, often while preparing dinner or hanging out in her pajamas. A video of the lawmaker dancing outside her Congressional office last month has been viewed 21 million times.

    An economics major and self-confessed “science nerd,” Ocasio-Cortez campaigned on issues that put her at odds with the financial industry, including separating commercial and investment banking, breaking up large banks, and forgiving student debt.

    Central to her campaign has been the rejection of corporate campaign dollars, closing off a traditional avenue for industry access and influence on Capitol Hill.
    How dare that woman turn down your lobbying efforts!
    Now lobbyists fear that her enlarged platform will help the first-term junior lawmaker push her ideas into the mainstream and are trying to figure out how best to respond.

    Lobbyists representing big banks, such as JPMorgan Chase & Co, Citigroup, Bank of America Corp, Wells Fargo and Morgan Stanley, which have embraced progressive causes such as diversity, inclusion, gun control or above-minimum wages, want to push these credentials. They also want to highlight how they employ thousands of people in Ocasio-Cortez’s district in Queens and the Bronx, they said.

    Smaller and mid-size firms, meanwhile, want to distance themselves from Wall Street titans and emphasize their critical role as community lenders.

    Several financial lobbyists, noting she lacks a financial services background, said they were keen to meet with Ocasio-Cortez to explain their business models and issues.
    Most people lack a financial services background. That doesn't make her ignorant. Clearly, you weren't paying attention to her tweets during orientation, where she called out speakers for not disclosing they were lobbyists. A woman with a degree in economics who gives lectures on Modern Monetary Theory and ran on a platform attacking your business models doesn't need you to explain your business models to her.
    The fawning deference you folks give to (certain) politicians is hilarious. It's almost like you've never actually met an American Politician before...oh, right.

    Hint: They are not nearly as brilliant as you folks might like to believe, Economics degree or not. And they are rarely subject matter experts on anything, including what they went to school for.

    So yes, she probably does need to be educated on their business model, even if she still wants to kill it afterwards. And that has nothing to do with her being her, I'd say the same re: almost every politician.

    It's even funnier when your biases get involved, AOC is a genius because something something economics degree, but some random Republican who worked in a field for 20 years and has 4 degrees is an idiot.....because he doesn't agree with you. Just lol.


  18. #59198
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    What is a work-for-hire agreement, Alex?
    IF you are going to rework patents, rework that too. Make craftsmen great again.
    Perhaps we could adopt some ideas from the former SSRs, which require significant compensation to the worker any time an employer appropriates or uses the worker’s IP to improve the business, and require that any attempt to enforce a non-competition or trade-secret agreement is backed up by compensation to the employee during the period of the contract.

    Of course those former SSRs (or at least the few I’ve had to do significant research into for clients) also have specific carve outs for software, so lol.
    There are no no-competes, while we are here. Trade Secrets are ok-ish. The worker(s) being compensated is covered with the mandatory license thing. The worker(s) create the work, and the business is granted a license automatically, but must pay a mandatory license fee, to the patent term of, say, 5 years. Patent law was designed when we had literal blacksmiths making shit. CNC machines have vastly bought time to market, etc, manufacturing ramp up times down. The company sponsoring the research gets first mover advantage, maybe an additional 5 year use fee for others who want the license, which should be enough for a lithe, agile business.
    meh

  19. #59199
    Lachesis VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20, 2011
    Location
    Egghelende
    Posts
    3,431
    California’s prohibition on non-competes is unique in American law.

  20. #59200
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    12,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    California’s prohibition on non-competes is unique in American law.
    It shouldn't be. Give the worker a reason not to move.
    meh

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •