hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2959 of 2976 FirstFirst ... 1959245928592909294929562957295829592960296129622969 ... LastLast
Results 59,161 to 59,180 of 59502

Thread: US Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I like that erich "bootstraps" knaar's ultimate defense against reworking the current system so its less sociopathic is "why don't we repay the colonies first?"

Peak Oakland/bay area liberal mentality where all these Poverty Abroad seminars and fundraisers are hosted on the same street that people are ODing on fent
    So what you are saying is that redistributing wealth will cure addiction?
    Yeah it's crazy, you can reduce the allure of addictive substances by making people's lives less awful.

Is this really such a big brain insight? jfc, we have hundreds of graphs from post soviet countries where substance abuse spiked and life expectancies went down right after the economy went into the toilet.
    Well sure. There where no addicts at all during the soviet period...
    Are you and elon sharing?

I have to ask...
    If only...

E: For clarity, perhaps if you read the line about addicts in like a bad Tim Curry Russian accent.
    Last edited by erichkknaar; February 7 2019 at 01:49:55 AM.
    meh

So what did everyone think of Trumps state of the union? I get all of my political opinion about such things from you people here and so far im lost on what I should be thinking and who I should be blaming for the terrible things that may or may not have happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    It isn't as simple as "give these people money and it'll solve their problems." In the most simple sense giving someone money will hurt them without making sure they use it correctly. Give a homeless guy $100,000 and he'll be back to being broke and homeless in a year or less.

Can elaborate more later but I'm gonna just have to +1 and shitpost for right now, but I don't expect much disagreement that people are mostly really shitty when it comes to their own financial well-being.
    I don't know about $100,000 but direct cash assistance has been done before and its useful for mitigating the pain when there's economic shocks

We gutted this aspect of our welfare state. Unsurprisingly poverty is on the rise and there's no sign of any bootstraps coming to save the day

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...stamps/552299/

What exists now is the shrunken remnant of a program that once served as the cornerstone of the American anti-poverty system. The value of cash benefits and the number of beneficiaries have receded over time, with little to show in the way of improved outcomes for people in poverty. Indeed, it might be appropriate to say that the replacement of AFDC with TANF has actually contributed to the continued entrenchment of the deepest levels of poverty in the United States. According to the CBPP report, TANF now only lifts about a third of the enrolled families out of “deep poverty” that AFDC did. That analysis supports the findings of a 2013 working paper from the National Poverty Center that found the number of people living on less than $2 a day increased from 636,000 in 1996 to 1.65 million in 2011.

A 2017 special United Nations envoy examining extreme poverty in the United States observed that “rates of extreme poverty (i.e., living on less than $2 per day per person) are also increasing, again because of declining employment as well as growing ‘disconnection’ from the safety net.” What’s more, the report also found that with stagnating wages and increasing costs of living, welfare and other means-tested programs are far from guaranteed income streams that incentivize dependency. In fact, they aren’t even really anti-poverty programs at all: They often barely provide subsistence for people who work minimum-wage jobs.

With TANF rapidly disappearing as a benefit even among those on the margins of American poverty, it’s really just SNAP and Medicaid keeping most of the nonelderly poor afloat. And degraded food-stamps, housing, and public health-insurance programs could have even more visceral effects than the loss of cash assistance. Sanctions for people who can’t work or can’t easily pass an increasingly difficult eligibility test don’t just mean the loss of a check—they mean the loss of meals, the loss of a home, the inability to get to a doctor, or worse.
    Last edited by mewninn; February 7 2019 at 02:00:01 AM.

I should add that the original program was called "Aid to Families with Dependent Children"

The standard welfare talk of dependency and motivation is complete insanity once children are put into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    So what did everyone think of Trumps state of the union? I get all of my political opinion about such things from you people here and so far im lost on what I should be thinking and who I should be blaming for the terrible things that may or may not have happened.
    Don't listen to Lana he's trying to steal and hog all the opinions for himself.

idk, I heard we would be in a major war with north korea if it wasn't for Trump.

I'd actually like some of what he's on.
    meh

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    idk, I heard we would be in a major war with north korea if it wasn't for Trump.

Has NK even conducted warfare since the 50s?
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

Quote Originally Posted by Nordstern View Post

Has NK even conducted warfare since the 50s?
    They haven't really stopped, it's more of an indefinite lull with occasional acts of violence.

Sounds like the domestic life of a cop's household.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

I like that erich "bootstraps" knaar's ultimate defense against reworking the current system so its less sociopathic is "why don't we repay the colonies first?"

Peak Oakland/bay area liberal mentality where all these Poverty Abroad seminars and fundraisers are hosted on the same street that people are ODing on fent
    Yeah it's crazy, you can reduce the allure of addictive substances by making people's lives less awful.

Is this really such a big brain insight? jfc, we have hundreds of graphs from post soviet countries where substance abuse spiked and life expectancies went down right after the economy went into the toilet.

I have to ask...
    If only...

E: For clarity, perhaps if you read the line about addicts in like a bad Tim Curry Russian accent.
    this is hilarious, bootstraps/10

inb4 "i have lived in shitholes too you know"

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    So which tax bracket are you in, so I can tell comrades not to fuck with it?
    Higher than some, lower than some.

How about we agree to leave folks who make less than $1 Million a year alone (or give them the breaks) and I'll agree to support fucking over anyone who makes more than that?

Seem reasonable.
    Reasonable in practice, because you'd need their support to pass that kind of legislation. But 1M$/year is already ridiculous in itself.

And it's not about fucking people over, it's about making them contribute to society

Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post

How about we agree to leave folks who make less than $1 Million a year alone (or give them the breaks) and I'll agree to support fucking over anyone who makes more than that?

Seem reasonable.
    Reasonable in practice, because you'd need their support to pass that kind of legislation. But 1M$/year is already ridiculous in itself.

And it's not about fucking people over, it's about making them contribute to society
    wut wot 1m?

Not even the prime-minister of my country makes 1m a year. If you make 140k euro after taxes in Holland you are allready considered higher middle class.
    Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident..

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vDJ View Post

Seem reasonable.

wut wot 1m?

Not even the prime-minister of my country makes 1m a year. If you make 140k euro after taxes in Holland you are allready considered higher middle class.
    How about we settle for 3 times the median income. 5? Surely you're very well off if you earn 5 times the median income, right? Right guises?

edit: how about a law that says that total income (including everything) for everyone working in a company can never exceed 5 times the lowest wage paid to anyone working there? 10?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikar View Post
    I dimly recall that's been proposed a fair few times in different countries. I don't think it passed anywhere though, unsurprisingly.
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miep View Post
    ...i have no idea whats realy going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomeus Crane View Post
    Let's string some rentiers up from the tallest lamppost, see how it'll go then? Deal?
    We should start with academics though, for traditions sake...
    meh

What do we do with academic rentiers?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post

I have to ask...
    If only...

this is hilarious, bootstraps/10

inb4 "i have lived in shitholes too you know"
    The joke is that there were no addicts, just hard gulag workers, thinking about their crimes, comrade.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    What do we do with academic rentiers?
    string up the lamppost from another lamppost, then the academic rentier.
    meh