hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2012 of 2036 FirstFirst ... 1012151219121962200220092010201120122013201420152022 ... LastLast
Results 40,221 to 40,240 of 40710

Thread: The Questionably Fascist [USA Politics Thread]™

  1. #40221
    The Pube Whisperer Maximillian's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,499
    The problem with Government measures like poverty rates, unemployment, CPI, and so on is that the Governments tend to change how they are calculated over time. So you can necessarily look back decades and see trends as the underlying data may well be different.

  2. #40222
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    The problem with Government measures like poverty rates, unemployment, CPI, and so on is that the Governments tend to change how they are calculated over time. So you can necessarily look back decades and see trends as the underlying data may well be different.
    these changes are however published and readily available, and thus possible to compensate for.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  3. #40223
    Liare's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,740
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

    Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

  4. #40224

    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    5,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    The problem with Government measures like poverty rates, unemployment, CPI, and so on is that the Governments tend to change how they are calculated over time. So you can necessarily look back decades and see trends as the underlying data may well be different.
    Observe: someone with no idea how public statistics work

  5. #40225
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Sadness
    Posts
    11,565
    A better metric for determination of rates of poverty would be to report on:

    -The percentage of people who cannot afford basic amenities, food, housing, healthcare.

    This should be reported after inclusion of people who receive public aid, i.e. if you get food, housing and healthcare from the state, you may have little, but your basic life-supporting needs are taken care of.

    Setting poverty at some arbitrary annual income amount is misguided and misleading IMO. Poverty is IMO the lack of basic components needed to sustain a basic no-frills life.

    Once the basics are covered, it's all a sliding scale of "how much to I have to enjoy life, as opposed to just live life".

    Also, historic comparisons are as invalid as county to country comparisons. Unless the metrics are done the same way, and equally effectively in terms of information gathering, you're getting a false comparison.

    It should be our goal to have a 0% number for folks living without food, shelter, healthcare and clothing. Beyond that, I'm far more conservative on the need for aid, although I could certainly support some things on an issue by issue basis.


    "Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany


  6. #40226

    Join Date
    May 9, 2011
    Location
    Ushra'Khan
    Posts
    2,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    It should be our goal to have a 0% number for folks living without food, shelter, healthcare and clothing. Beyond that, I'm far more conservative on the need for aid, although I could certainly support some things on an issue by issue basis.
    I'll take is one step further:

    Food
    Shelter
    Healthcare
    Clothing
    Basic Communication (Internet/phone) Access - The reason for this is without such access it is nearly impossible to apply for jobs/education/aid/etc without access to this. And while public libraries are very useful, their coverage is varied.


    Our country is too rich and powerful to allow our citizens to live in squalor and poverty UNLESS they choose that route via drugs/ignoring their mental health/etc. I believe our society should have a high acceptable "floor" for living conditions. And it wouldn't cost that much AND any money used towards these efforts is immediately put right back into the domestic economy.

  7. #40227
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    13,536
    >we need a high minimum standard of living
    >fuck socialism and all its adherents

    The mind boggles
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  8. #40228
    Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Posts
    17,027
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.

  9. #40229
    Alistair's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Sadness
    Posts
    11,565
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    It should be our goal to have a 0% number for folks living without food, shelter, healthcare and clothing. Beyond that, I'm far more conservative on the need for aid, although I could certainly support some things on an issue by issue basis.
    I'll take is one step further:

    Food
    Shelter
    Healthcare
    Clothing
    Basic Communication (Internet/phone) Access - The reason for this is without such access it is nearly impossible to apply for jobs/education/aid/etc without access to this. And while public libraries are very useful, their coverage is varied.


    Our country is too rich and powerful to allow our citizens to live in squalor and poverty UNLESS they choose that route via drugs/ignoring their mental health/etc. I believe our society should have a high acceptable "floor" for living conditions. And it wouldn't cost that much AND any money used towards these efforts is immediately put right back into the domestic economy.
    I think an argument could be made to add that, aye. Basic internet/phone access.

    I continue to argue that addiction and abuse are medical conditions and should be treated thusly.

    Plenty of existing money in the Offense Budget to cover these costs tbqh. America first is a good ethic if done right, i.e. Serving the needs of American Citizens in need.
    Last edited by Alistair; September 13 2017 at 02:12:28 PM.


    "Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany


  10. #40230
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    13,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.
    I mean, if you think you can free market your way to universally improved living standards Ive got a bridge to make a vast profit on.

    Alistair calls himself a libertarian except for all the shit he wants government to start providing for American citizens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  11. #40231
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    8,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.
    I mean, if you think you can free market your way to universally improved living standards Ive got a bridge to make a vast profit on.

    Alistair calls himself a libertarian except for all the shit he wants government to start providing for American citizens.
    Except as we clearly see, it's materially better now, for people, than it has literally ever been in history. What exactly is it that you want?

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/218981/am...gn=syndication
    meh

  12. #40232
    Lowa [NSN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    2,580
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.
    I mean, if you think you can free market your way to universally improved living standards Ive got a bridge to make a vast profit on.

    Alistair calls himself a libertarian except for all the shit he wants government to start providing for American citizens.
    Except as we clearly see, it's materially better now, for people, than it has literally ever been in history. What exactly is it that you want?
    Apologies but its such a setup:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarminic View Post
    I would create a dragon made out of vaginas. Then I would create a dragon made out of dicks. Then I would have them fight to the death.

  13. #40233
    Donor Tellenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    16,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.
    I mean, if you think you can free market your way to universally improved living standards Ive got a bridge to make a vast profit on.

    Alistair calls himself a libertarian except for all the shit he wants government to start providing for American citizens.
    I don't think there is a capitalist country without a socialist backend.

  14. #40234
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    13,536
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.
    I mean, if you think you can free market your way to universally improved living standards Ive got a bridge to make a vast profit on.

    Alistair calls himself a libertarian except for all the shit he wants government to start providing for American citizens.
    Except as we clearly see, it's materially better now, for people, than it has literally ever been in history. What exactly is it that you want?

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/218981/am...gn=syndication
    It's materially better for some people. If you work 12 hours a day making trainers until your fingers bleed in a warehouse that will fall over in a stiff breeze you would probably be happier subsistence farming in an agrarian community.

    We've progressed past the point of treating the advance of history as universally positive in every aspect, that died with the end of monarchic imperialism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  15. #40235

    Join Date
    June 6, 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.
    I mean, if you think you can free market your way to universally improved living standards Ive got a bridge to make a vast profit on.

    Alistair calls himself a libertarian except for all the shit he wants government to start providing for American citizens.
    Except as we clearly see, it's materially better now, for people, than it has literally ever been in history. What exactly is it that you want?

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/218981/am...gn=syndication
    Never trust a poll you didn't fake yourself..

    http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/22/news...rse/index.html
    “The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg

  16. #40236
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelephant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.
    I mean, if you think you can free market your way to universally improved living standards Ive got a bridge to make a vast profit on.

    Alistair calls himself a libertarian except for all the shit he wants government to start providing for American citizens.
    Except as we clearly see, it's materially better now, for people, than it has literally ever been in history. What exactly is it that you want?

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/218981/am...gn=syndication
    Never trust a poll you didn't fake yourself..

    http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/22/news...rse/index.html
    You uh, you realize those polls don't contradict each other?

  17. #40237
    SAI Peregrinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13, 2011
    Posts
    1,571
    Pure socialism fails because people want to get rewards and build hierarchies. People want some members of the tribe to be the leader and have lots of things. They also want rewards for their work in proportion to the quality/amount/value of their work. Too much equality is bad for happiness.

    Pure capitalism fails because it fails to account for externalities, monopoly abuses, imperfect information, and it assumes implicitly that P=NP. It also leads to massive inequality. Too much inequality is also bad for happiness.

    Capitalism requires regulation and wealth redistribution to achieve optimal equality. Socialism requires individual rewards and ownership to achieve optimal equality. A mixed economy is best, neither system alone can work. Libertarians and Communists both ignore basic human behavior.

  18. #40238
    Rakshasa The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    12,426
    The more is leaked from the Hillary book the more I want to buy it.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  19. #40239
    Rakshasa The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Posts
    12,426
    Quote Originally Posted by SAI Peregrinus View Post
    Pure socialism fails because people want to get rewards and build hierarchies. People want some members of the tribe to be the leader and have lots of things. They also want rewards for their work in proportion to the quality/amount/value of their work. Too much equality is bad for happiness.

    Pure capitalism fails because it fails to account for externalities, monopoly abuses, imperfect information, and it assumes implicitly that P=NP. It also leads to massive inequality. Too much inequality is also bad for happiness.

    Capitalism requires regulation and wealth redistribution to achieve optimal equality. Socialism requires individual rewards and ownership to achieve optimal equality. A mixed economy is best, neither system alone can work. Libertarians and Communists both ignore basic human behavior.
    Fuck off with that P=NP shit.

    It is o a level more tard than the communists assuming everyone is equal in potential.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

  20. #40240

    Join Date
    June 6, 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrelephant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Keckers starring in a new erotic drama: 50 shades of exclusively black or white.
    I mean, if you think you can free market your way to universally improved living standards Ive got a bridge to make a vast profit on.

    Alistair calls himself a libertarian except for all the shit he wants government to start providing for American citizens.
    Except as we clearly see, it's materially better now, for people, than it has literally ever been in history. What exactly is it that you want?

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/218981/am...gn=syndication
    Never trust a poll you didn't fake yourself..

    http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/22/news...rse/index.html
    You uh, you realize those polls don't contradict each other?
    First, what I linked is not a poll. As stated in the poll:

    The index was created in 2008 during the 2007-2009 Great Recession, helping explain why it has followed a generally upward path in the years since, as the U.S. economy gradually has recovered.
    What the poll basically shows is the recovery from the last recession, it's not surprising that over the past decade people would feel that their standard of living is getting better after such a major down. Looking at the statistical data however we see a different picture:

    Meanwhile, the bottom 50% of the American population earned an average of $16,000 in pre-tax income in 1980. That hasn't changed in over three decades.
    Obligatory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
    “The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •