hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2008 of 2042 FirstFirst ... 1008150819081958199820052006200720082009201020112018 ... LastLast
Results 40,141 to 40,160 of 40825

Thread: The Questionably Fascist [USA Politics Thread]™

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    There was never any possibility of a good outcome in Afghanistan. The Macedons, Persians, Hindus, Mongols, Mughals, British and the Soviets tried it for years and couldn't tame the country.
    FYP

And I left out a few.
    Thanks Joe Autism.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    There was never any possibility of a good outcome in Afghanistan. The Macedons, Persians, Hindus, Mongols, Mughals, British and the Soviets tried it for years and couldn't tame the country.
    FYP

And I left out a few.
    By Macedonians, do you mean Alexander the Great?

Cause it was a bunch of Indians that stopped him, and mutinous soldiers on top of that. Not Arabians.
    Yes, Alexander. And I don't mean who stopped him, but who actually pacified Afghanistan. Hence I left out the Mauryan Empire and a few ancient empires as well.

EDIT:

FYP

And I left out a few.
    Thanks Joe Autism.
    nevar forget

Valid point there, I was thinking "Is he saying they stopped Alexander" and didn't read your intent of pacification.

I agree, those fuckers are rocking hereditary Holy Warrior, Mountain Expert and Defensive Leader traits. Fucking OP holy orders man.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    Since claiming free speech while saying terminally retarded shit is all the rage, Comcast decided to jump on the bandwagon:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...t-rights.shtml

While I do agree that Vermont cannot legally force Comcast to install anything, let alone 500 miles of broadband cabling, they do have a far better means of getting this done. Mainly being that they can threaten Comcasts business as a whole in Vermont by 1) offering tax incentives & fast tracking permits to any company that is willing to construct the network and 2) enacting eminent domain upon the utility pole & conduit lines that Comcast owns to facilitate in point 1. I mean why further entrench Comcast when you can actually create some competition.
    It's a symptom of the Net Neutrality war and Big ISP (Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T, etc) refusing to give up the fight to prevent becoming a utility and thus subject to federal regulation. They're scared shitless of becoming a modern day Standard Oil vs United States.

And from what I understand of the dispute, Vermont legally contracted them, Comcast is attempting to break contract/renege on it completely in order to not uphold it. Comcast has the funding and resources to do it. They just don't want to. And in many areas (I'm in one affected, down in the South), they're the only ISP provider you can get due to control over the phone line infrastructure network.
    From what the article says;
    Vermont Public Utility Commission (VPUC) recently tried to buck this trend by including provisions in Comcast's 11 year permit (pdf) with the state requiring it to not only retain public access programming in the state, but expand "no less than" 550 miles of additional cable into under-served Vermont communities over 11 years.
    So they were not contracted to do an upgrade; rather Vermont is stipulating that this is a requirement for them to get their permit to do business. This is almost certainly illegal.

But again the only way to put a stop to this kind of shit is by leveraging public regulations & incentives. The largest impediment to setting up a telco is the fact that you have to pay enormous fees to the incumbent provider to use their pole lines (often constructed using public funds); and that is if they do not out right refuse to let you use them. This is why for example you see google fiber only in areas where the municipality owns poles & conduits. States & individual municipalities could easy put a stop to this shit by utilizing eminent domain but it can be an iffy proposition because the incumbent will take you to court to try to stop it, and not every town has the means to fight a protracted legal battle with these fucks who have lawyers on retainer.

Some areas of the world just aren't worth ruling.

Since claiming free speech while saying terminally retarded shit is all the rage, Comcast decided to jump on the bandwagon:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...t-rights.shtml

While I do agree that Vermont cannot legally force Comcast to install anything, let alone 500 miles of broadband cabling, they do have a far better means of getting this done. Mainly being that they can threaten Comcasts business as a whole in Vermont by 1) offering tax incentives & fast tracking permits to any company that is willing to construct the network and 2) enacting eminent domain upon the utility pole & conduit lines that Comcast owns to facilitate in point 1. I mean why further entrench Comcast when you can actually create some competition.
    It's a symptom of the Net Neutrality war and Big ISP (Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T, etc) refusing to give up the fight to prevent becoming a utility and thus subject to federal regulation. They're scared shitless of becoming a modern day Standard Oil vs United States.

And from what I understand of the dispute, Vermont legally contracted them, Comcast is attempting to break contract/renege on it completely in order to not uphold it. Comcast has the funding and resources to do it. They just don't want to. And in many areas (I'm in one affected, down in the South), they're the only ISP provider you can get due to control over the phone line infrastructure network.
    From what the article says;
    Vermont Public Utility Commission (VPUC) recently tried to buck this trend by including provisions in Comcast's 11 year permit (pdf) with the state requiring it to not only retain public access programming in the state, but expand "no less than" 550 miles of additional cable into under-served Vermont communities over 11 years.
    So they were not contracted to do an upgrade; rather Vermont is stipulating that this is a requirement for them to get their permit to do business. This is almost certainly illegal.

But again the only way to put a stop to this kind of shit is by leveraging public regulations & incentives. The largest impediment to setting up a telco is the fact that you have to pay enormous fees to the incumbent provider to use their pole lines (often constructed using public funds); and that is if they do not out right refuse to let you use them. This is why for example you see google fiber only in areas where the municipality owns poles & conduits. States & individual municipalities could easy put a stop to this shit by utilizing eminent domain but it can be an iffy proposition because the incumbent will take you to court to try to stop it, and not every town has the means to fight a protracted legal battle with these fucks who have lawyers on retainer.
    Still though, it's retarded of them to cite its censorship of Comcast's free speech (which could be argued as applying to individuals not corporations) because Vermont is suing them to uphold the contract.

But as you said, there's issues stemming from poles and networks as I pointed out as well. Comcast has a monopoly, they do just enough so that Uncle Sam and the Department of Justice aren't paying them a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    The only reasonable basis to that Conspiracy theory would be that the Bush just let it happen despite knowing about it, rather than actually orchestrating it which would be beyond the capability of most politicians.
    Anyone who thinks someone wouldn't have talked by now doesn't understand Americans, but I agree that is the only reasonable hypothesis in terms of scope of a conspiracy.
    Why did building 7 go down?

Quote Originally Posted by Smarnca View Post
    The only reasonable basis to that Conspiracy theory would be that the Bush just let it happen despite knowing about it, rather than actually orchestrating it which would be beyond the capability of most politicians.
    Anyone who thinks someone wouldn't have talked by now doesn't understand Americans, but I agree that is the only reasonable hypothesis in terms of scope of a conspiracy.
    because 7 8 9

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    because 7 8 9
    I dont like your tone. This isnt funny

Fancomicidolkostümier- ungsspielgruppenzusammenkunft
    It got jiggy withit?
      Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    But islamism IS a product of class warfare. Rich white countries come into developing brown dictatorships, wreck the leadership, infrastructure and economy and then act all surprised that religious fanaticism is on the rise.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    walrus isnt a bad poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by cullnean View Post
    also i like walrus.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmaNutin View Post
    Yer a hoot

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Btw merry 9/11 Americans! I hope you'll never again have a president as mad as George W. Bush
    Bush did 9-11. Look into it.
    You are assigning an awful lot of competence to people that never really showed any.
    While it's true that junior isn't the brightest light in the shed his dad on the other hand is quite the character with plenty of connections. He and his buddies made quite the bank thanks to afghanistan and iraq and those sweet government contracts. Joke is on us I guess.

Now tell me that is the reaction of a man that isn't guilty AF.

Spoiler:

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Irrelephant View Post
    Btw merry 9/11 Americans! I hope you'll never again have a president as mad as George W. Bush
    You are assigning an awful lot of competence to people that never really showed any.
    While it's true that junior isn't the brightest light in the shed his dad on the other hand is quite the character with plenty of connections. He and his buddies made quite the bank thanks to afghanistan and iraq and those sweet government contracts. Joke is on us I guess.

Spoiler:

No one is saying there aren't actors who took advantage of the situation, but you clearly don't understand Americans if you think there was some large scale demolitions work going on under everyones noses.
    meh

Oh look, you can actually see it not falling into its own footprint. I wonder if there's a clue in that?
    meh

Oh look, you can actually see it not falling into its own footprint. I wonder if there's a clue in that?
    If you beleive this thing happened without internal help then you must be super brainwashed

Quote Originally Posted by Irrelephant View Post

Spoiler:

No one is saying there aren't actors who took advantage of the situation, but you clearly don't understand Americans if you think there was some large scale demolitions work going on under everyones noses.
    Or just any developed society in general that consists of hundreds of millions of people interacting with a public building.

If you beleive this thing happened without internal help then you must be super brainwashed
    The real problem is all the theories are super retarded and didn't happen either.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbones View Post
    Some areas of the world just aren't worth ruling.
    This in reference to Afghanistan or rural 'murica?
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

I'm not sure what this has to do with understanding americans, I'd guess it should be the same in every country. But if you think about it, all that would be required is getting access to the building during night, covered as maintenance work or whatever to place the charges. All 3 buildings have *all* the signs of controlled demolition, a payed job probably couldn't have done it better. And yet the NIST investigation ruled that out from the start. Everyone involved was a winner, from the new owner that overinsured the buildings against terror attacks just in time and got rid of 2 asbestos ridden liabilities "for free", to the hawks like Cheney and co getting their wars.

Quote Originally Posted by some austrian painter
    A big lie (German: große Lüge) is a propaganda technique. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
    “The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg

The tinfoil is getting thick in here.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang