hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2032 of 2032 FirstFirst ... 103215321932198220222029203020312032
Results 40,621 to 40,633 of 40633

Thread: The Questionably Fascist [USA Politics Thread]™

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    "People lived longer, had healthier bodies and were happier in primitive times" isnt an argument, it's three statements the first two of which are trivially provably false and the other of which is completely beyond any possible method of us knowing - what we can say is that the vast bulk of people in the world today who have the choice between moving to a city and getting a factory job OR remaining in undeveloped rural areas and subsistence farming or "huntergathering" choose the former.
    Ive already shown the evidence for healthier bodies in that link. That primitive tribe has the healthiest hearts ever measured. Im not talking about Primitive VS Post industrial stat off, im specifically referring to third world factory workers. Can you actually read?

Also what do you mean we couldn't possibly know? Im sure the field of anthropology has done some studies on this. you can go ask the fucking tribes.
    Agree most people chose to move to the city. Its the economic reality of the modern world. Your forest is gonna get its ownership shifted and cut down anyway, might as well get on the rat race. Doesn't make the people happier. I suspect it might make some suicidal. Foxconn sorted its act out yet on that front?

Im not making an argument for Ludditism. Modernity is glorious. But with it comes some regression. Its not a steady even smooth march forward.
    Counter point, infant mortality
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

One of the key thrusts of genetically engineering plants is to reduce reliance on chemicals (fertilizer and pesticides) so not really following that argument
    It would be nice if that were true, but it's actually more about creating reliance on specific, patented chemicals (eg: Roundup)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    "People lived longer, had healthier bodies and were happier in primitive times" isnt an argument, it's three statements the first two of which are trivially provably false and the other of which is completely beyond any possible method of us knowing - what we can say is that the vast bulk of people in the world today who have the choice between moving to a city and getting a factory job OR remaining in undeveloped rural areas and subsistence farming or "huntergathering" choose the former.
    Ive already shown the evidence for healthier bodies in that link. That primitive tribe has the healthiest hearts ever measured. Im not talking about Primitive VS Post industrial stat off, im specifically referring to third world factory workers. Can you actually read?

Also what do you mean we couldn't possibly know? Im sure the field of anthropology has done some studies on this. you can go ask the fucking tribes.
    Agree most people chose to move to the city. Its the economic reality of the modern world. Your forest is gonna get its ownership shifted and cut down anyway, might as well get on the rat race. Doesn't make the people happier. I suspect it might make some suicidal. Foxconn sorted its act out yet on that front?

Im not making an argument for Ludditism. Modernity is glorious. But with it comes some regression. Its not a steady even smooth march forward.
    What is infant mortality?
    http://bfy.tw/E3pj

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    One of the key thrusts of genetically engineering plants is to reduce reliance on chemicals (fertilizer and pesticides) so not really following that argument
    It would be nice if that were true, but it's actually more about creating reliance on specific, patented chemicals (eg: Roundup)
    It can be both. Im sure Big Daddy Monsanto has our best interests at heart, we should just leave them to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk Pacus View Post
    Is less than two dollars a day really a fair indicator of poverty? That wouldn't get you fucking anywhere in over a third of the world - even the lowest UK welfare payment going (flat JSA, under 25, no other income support) is significantly more than that at around 8 a day, and I'd definitely be unable to live on that (wouldn't cover my rent, let alone anything else)
    Well, sure, it must absolutely suck. I mean, subsistence farming really does mean that. It's a horrible existence. It's not something to be aspired to. That's why I'm glad, in some ways, that agribusiness and things like mining automation are obsoleting those jobs. There's literally no wage high enough to expect people to live in those conditions so we should really figure UBI out so people have pocket money to spend, but really we're better off if people don't have to be coal miners or whatever imo.

I think you are derping a bit there Duckslayer. Have you considered how survival of the fittest works when survival is really fucking hard and how easier lives produce an (on average) less healthy populace?

The reason hunter-gatherers had such amazing physiques is because anyone who wasn't genetically predisposed to grow into an adult with the capabilities of an Olympic athlete, would die. I don't really view moving away from that as a bad thing.

"Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    I think you are derping a bit there Duckslayer. Have you considered how survival of the fittest works when survival is really fucking hard and how easier lives produce an (on average) less healthy populace?

The reason hunter-gatherers had such amazing physiques is because anyone who wasn't genetically predisposed to grow into an adult with the capabilities of an Olympic athlete, would die. I don't really view moving away from that as a bad thing.
    I agree with that. Good points well made and without any vitriol.
    I wasnt of course at any point advocating moving back to the jungle, despite the responses my post garnered. But there you go.

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor

The reason why merit-based eugenics is considered evil is that only white aryan super-men would remain after the cleansing.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Wellllllllll, it's sort of a bad thing. You go too far in the other direction, and you end up with 'Merica today, fatbodies full of suger-filled goo.

Too much of a good thing is often bad.

"Nothing left to do, but smile, smile, smile......" Robert Hunter, "He's Gone"
    "...we looked very closely at the matter and concluded that unfortunately arseholes also get to benefit from democratic freedoms." Andreas Geisel, Interior Affairs Senator, Germany

Please. Everybody knows the only solution is an extreme. I mean it's the one thing our two parties could agree on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also how did this thread get so derailed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Also how did this thread get so derailed?