hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2090 of 2097 FirstFirst ... 109015901990204020802087208820892090209120922093 ... LastLast
Results 41,781 to 41,800 of 41929

Thread: The Official Russian [USA Politics Thread]™

Last edited by Aea; November 13 2017 at 09:53:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    The speaker just amplifies everything thats wrong with the venue: Low effort, low attention span public noise. Devoid of much meaning or content
    I fail to:

a) Actually agree with you
    b) Understand your point when taking the premise that your assessment is correct
    The way i see it, there are two competing reasonings:

1) Internet-savy people know that everything on here is one short step (sometimes up) from trolling. We are used to things being ephemeral, and the rules of the game state that the first one who ragequits, loses.

2) "Normal" people know that electronic forms of speech, just like any other, carry weight that reflects on the speaker, the platform, and anyone who associates with it. For someone whos only point of contact with the internet is Facebook, a Twitter post is essentially the same as a newspaper editorial in too few words.

I used to think that the gentrification of the internet meant that we would inevitably move from the wild west to a much stricter common etiquette (and that that would be our loss). Turns out its the other way around, the guns-free, never let them now if youre serious, shitposting culture has infected the regular discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

I used to think that the gentrification of the internet meant that we would inevitably move from the wild west to a much stricter common etiquette (and that that would be our loss). Turns out its the other way around, the guns-free, never let them now if youre serious, shitposting culture has infected the regular discourse.
    Turns out you're an optimist in the end. Personally I never doubted it wouldn't go that way with shitposters reigning supreme in the discourse. Allthough, shitposters reigning supreme while leading nations did catch me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

Turns out you're an optimist in the end. Personally I never doubted it wouldn't go that way with shitposters reigning supreme in the discourse. Allthough, shitposters reigning supreme while leading nations did catch me by surprise.
    The future is our mollusc.

Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/545738/

Tl,dr; Don Jr repeatedly contacted Wikileaks about info on Hillary and many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/545738/

Tl,dr; Don Jr repeatedly contacted Wikileaks about info on Hillary and many other things.
    The fake media as I like to call it.

Another woman has come forward saying that Roy Moore assaulted her.

McConnell has said that he believes them and thinks Moore should step down, but of course Moore doesn't give a shit.

Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Wait, why is a judge repeating political campaign slogans

I thought there was a separation between the justice system and politics?

Or is that not a US thing

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post

He was a judge *.

* Twice removed [and re-elected] for violating the constitution.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.

He was a judge *.

Why does he get to keep his title on Twitter?

Surely it's a one time thing?

He was a judge *.

Because the Internet is the Wild Wild West.

He was a judge *.

Because the Internet is the Wild Wild West.
    Everyday the US finds new ways to disappoint me

I mean, he can set his twitter name to whatever the hell he wants. You'll notice that the @ is for his senate campaign, because he's running for senate.

Also, in certain states, judges are elected rather than appointed, so they end up political as well because this systems is aaaaaalllllllllll fucked up.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    I mean, he can set his twitter name to whatever the hell he wants. You'll notice that the @ is for his senate campaign, because he's running for senate.

Also, in certain states, judges are elected rather than appointed, so they end up political as well because this systems is aaaaaalllllllllll fucked up.
    Sounds awful.

If I set my twitter handle to Senator Xenosis and start speaking as though I were a senator in my local island government, I'd be slapped pretty handily within 48 hours or so

Probably something like "impersonating a government official" or similar if it was a judge etc

You guys need to kill this concept of "freedom of speech" tbh, it's poisoning your concept of "don't be shitters"

either that or force Twtter to take actual control of their platform, but we all know that isn't going to happen
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; November 14 2017 at 12:16:22 AM.

Sounds awful.

If I set my twitter handle to Senator Xenosis and start speaking as though I were a senator in my local island government, I'd be slapped pretty handily within 48 hours or so
    Sounds awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post

Sounds awful.

Sounds awful.
    How so?

should anyone be allowed to use a public platform to speak as though they are a certain station?

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Highly influential Twitter accounts
    what a time to be alive
    Having read only a few of the replies.. I'm with razbro. What a time to be alive....
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

what a time to be alive
    It’s your country so I fully expect you to stand behind them. But time will tell if this is going to turn out being another tactical victory for Russia while being a strategic cock up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah man i'm all up for standing behind my country. Just not twitter posts.
    Not even sure what you're saying. As is tradition.
    Here is a quick question for you: do you take trump's rambling on twitter seriously?
    No because he's an idiot. The Russian foreign intelligence services on the other hand are well known for not being stupid and therefore their running of thousands of social media sockpuppets purporting to be burgers living in "the heartland" is of some concern.

what a time to be alive
    It’s your country so I fully expect you to stand behind them. But time will tell if this is going to turn out being another tactical victory for Russia while being a strategic cock up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah man i'm all up for standing behind my country. Just not twitter posts.
    Not even sure what you're saying. As is tradition.
    Here is a quick question for you: do you take trump's rambling on twitter seriously?
    No because he's an idiot. The Russian foreign intelligence services on the other hand are well known for not being stupid and therefore their running of thousands of social media sockpuppets purporting to be burgers living in "the heartland" is of some concern.
    Would you rather trust an ex KGB colonel or the entire US intelligence society?

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post

Sounds awful.

Sounds awful.
    How so?

should anyone be allowed to use a public platform to speak as though they are a certain station?
    So let me get this straight. You think that if someone has a username of say... Judge Dredd and starts posting they should be punished by the government for impersonating a public official?

If people are stupid enough to think that "senator Xenosis" is a senator even though your name is nowhere on the list of elected officials that's on them. Removing accounts that actually impersonate public officials is fine though legal consequences should be tied to whether they tried to commit fraud or something actually worth prosecuting.