hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2090 of 2097 FirstFirst ... 109015901990204020802087208820892090209120922093 ... LastLast
Results 41,781 to 41,800 of 41929

Thread: The Official Russian [USA Politics Thread]™

  1. #41781
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    13,893
    Last edited by Aea; November 13 2017 at 09:53:04 PM.

  2. #41782

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    The speaker just amplifies everything thats wrong with the venue: Low effort, low attention span public noise. Devoid of much meaning or content
    I fail to:

    a) Actually agree with you
    b) Understand your point when taking the premise that your assessment is correct
    The way i see it, there are two competing reasonings:

    1) Internet-savy people know that everything on here is one short step (sometimes up) from trolling. We are used to things being ephemeral, and the rules of the game state that the first one who ragequits, loses.

    2) "Normal" people know that electronic forms of speech, just like any other, carry weight that reflects on the speaker, the platform, and anyone who associates with it. For someone whos only point of contact with the internet is Facebook, a Twitter post is essentially the same as a newspaper editorial in too few words.

    I used to think that the gentrification of the internet meant that we would inevitably move from the wild west to a much stricter common etiquette (and that that would be our loss). Turns out its the other way around, the guns-free, never let them now if youre serious, shitposting culture has infected the regular discourse.

  3. #41783

    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Posts
    2,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

    I used to think that the gentrification of the internet meant that we would inevitably move from the wild west to a much stricter common etiquette (and that that would be our loss). Turns out its the other way around, the guns-free, never let them now if youre serious, shitposting culture has infected the regular discourse.
    Turns out you're an optimist in the end. Personally I never doubted it wouldn't go that way with shitposters reigning supreme in the discourse. Allthough, shitposters reigning supreme while leading nations did catch me by surprise.

  4. #41784
    Donor lubica's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    On the shitty side of the Alps
    Posts
    4,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Dax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilalaunebör View Post

    I used to think that the gentrification of the internet meant that we would inevitably move from the wild west to a much stricter common etiquette (and that that would be our loss). Turns out its the other way around, the guns-free, never let them now if youre serious, shitposting culture has infected the regular discourse.
    Turns out you're an optimist in the end. Personally I never doubted it wouldn't go that way with shitposters reigning supreme in the discourse. Allthough, shitposters reigning supreme while leading nations did catch me by surprise.
    The future is our mollusc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Narmio
    Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

  5. #41785
    Omega Supreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    6,407
    https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/545738/



    Tl,dr; Don Jr repeatedly contacted Wikileaks about info on Hillary and many other things.

  6. #41786
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    13,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/545738/



    Tl,dr; Don Jr repeatedly contacted Wikileaks about info on Hillary and many other things.
    The fake media as I like to call it.

  7. #41787

    Join Date
    July 14, 2013
    Posts
    1,369
    Another woman has come forward saying that Roy Moore assaulted her.

    McConnell has said that he believes them and thinks Moore should step down, but of course Moore doesn't give a shit.

    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

  8. #41788
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,526
    Wait, why is a judge repeating political campaign slogans

    I thought there was a separation between the justice system and politics?

    Or is that not a US thing

  9. #41789
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    13,893
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Wait, why is a judge repeating political campaign slogans

    I thought there was a separation between the justice system and politics?

    Or is that not a US thing
    He was a judge *.

    * Twice removed [and re-elected] for violating the constitution.

  10. #41790
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Wait, why is a judge repeating political campaign slogans

    I thought there was a separation between the justice system and politics?

    Or is that not a US thing
    He was a judge *.

    * Twice removed [and re-elected] for violating the constitution.
    Why does he get to keep his title on Twitter?

    Surely it's a one time thing?

  11. #41791
    Donor Aea's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    13,893
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Wait, why is a judge repeating political campaign slogans

    I thought there was a separation between the justice system and politics?

    Or is that not a US thing
    He was a judge *.

    * Twice removed [and re-elected] for violating the constitution.
    Why does he get to keep his title on Twitter?

    Surely it's a one time thing?
    Because the Internet is the Wild Wild West.

  12. #41792
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Wait, why is a judge repeating political campaign slogans

    I thought there was a separation between the justice system and politics?

    Or is that not a US thing
    He was a judge *.

    * Twice removed [and re-elected] for violating the constitution.
    Why does he get to keep his title on Twitter?

    Surely it's a one time thing?
    Because the Internet is the Wild Wild West.
    Everyday the US finds new ways to disappoint me

  13. #41793

    Join Date
    July 14, 2013
    Posts
    1,369
    I mean, he can set his twitter name to whatever the hell he wants. You'll notice that the @ is for his senate campaign, because he's running for senate.

    Also, in certain states, judges are elected rather than appointed, so they end up political as well because this systems is aaaaaalllllllllll fucked up.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

  14. #41794
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    I mean, he can set his twitter name to whatever the hell he wants. You'll notice that the @ is for his senate campaign, because he's running for senate.

    Also, in certain states, judges are elected rather than appointed, so they end up political as well because this systems is aaaaaalllllllllll fucked up.
    Sounds awful.

    If I set my twitter handle to Senator Xenosis and start speaking as though I were a senator in my local island government, I'd be slapped pretty handily within 48 hours or so

    Probably something like "impersonating a government official" or similar if it was a judge etc

    You guys need to kill this concept of "freedom of speech" tbh, it's poisoning your concept of "don't be shitters"

    either that or force Twtter to take actual control of their platform, but we all know that isn't going to happen
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; November 14 2017 at 12:16:22 AM.

  15. #41795
    Donor Tellenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    16,197
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    I mean, he can set his twitter name to whatever the hell he wants. You'll notice that the @ is for his senate campaign, because he's running for senate.

    Also, in certain states, judges are elected rather than appointed, so they end up political as well because this systems is aaaaaalllllllllll fucked up.
    Sounds awful.

    If I set my twitter handle to Senator Xenosis and start speaking as though I were a senator in my local island government, I'd be slapped pretty handily within 48 hours or so
    Sounds awful.

  16. #41796
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    I mean, he can set his twitter name to whatever the hell he wants. You'll notice that the @ is for his senate campaign, because he's running for senate.

    Also, in certain states, judges are elected rather than appointed, so they end up political as well because this systems is aaaaaalllllllllll fucked up.
    Sounds awful.

    If I set my twitter handle to Senator Xenosis and start speaking as though I were a senator in my local island government, I'd be slapped pretty handily within 48 hours or so
    Sounds awful.
    How so?

    should anyone be allowed to use a public platform to speak as though they are a certain station?

  17. #41797
    Lana Torrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    Bonding around
    Posts
    17,935
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Highly influential Twitter accounts
    what a time to be alive
    Having read only a few of the replies.. I'm with razbro. What a time to be alive....
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

  18. #41798
    Donor Spawinte's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,034
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Highly influential Twitter accounts
    what a time to be alive
    It’s your country so I fully expect you to stand behind them. But time will tell if this is going to turn out being another tactical victory for Russia while being a strategic cock up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah man i'm all up for standing behind my country. Just not twitter posts.
    Not even sure what you're saying. As is tradition.
    Here is a quick question for you: do you take trump's rambling on twitter seriously?
    No because he's an idiot. The Russian foreign intelligence services on the other hand are well known for not being stupid and therefore their running of thousands of social media sockpuppets purporting to be burgers living in "the heartland" is of some concern.

  19. #41799
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawinte View Post
    Highly influential Twitter accounts
    what a time to be alive
    It’s your country so I fully expect you to stand behind them. But time will tell if this is going to turn out being another tactical victory for Russia while being a strategic cock up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah man i'm all up for standing behind my country. Just not twitter posts.
    Not even sure what you're saying. As is tradition.
    Here is a quick question for you: do you take trump's rambling on twitter seriously?
    No because he's an idiot. The Russian foreign intelligence services on the other hand are well known for not being stupid and therefore their running of thousands of social media sockpuppets purporting to be burgers living in "the heartland" is of some concern.
    Would you rather trust an ex KGB colonel or the entire US intelligence society?

  20. #41800
    Donor Tellenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Posts
    16,197
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    I mean, he can set his twitter name to whatever the hell he wants. You'll notice that the @ is for his senate campaign, because he's running for senate.

    Also, in certain states, judges are elected rather than appointed, so they end up political as well because this systems is aaaaaalllllllllll fucked up.
    Sounds awful.

    If I set my twitter handle to Senator Xenosis and start speaking as though I were a senator in my local island government, I'd be slapped pretty handily within 48 hours or so
    Sounds awful.
    How so?

    should anyone be allowed to use a public platform to speak as though they are a certain station?
    So let me get this straight. You think that if someone has a username of say... Judge Dredd and starts posting they should be punished by the government for impersonating a public official?

    If people are stupid enough to think that "senator Xenosis" is a senator even though your name is nowhere on the list of elected officials that's on them. Removing accounts that actually impersonate public officials is fine though legal consequences should be tied to whether they tried to commit fraud or something actually worth prosecuting.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •