hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2079 of 2098 FirstFirst ... 1079157919792029206920762077207820792080208120822089 ... LastLast
Results 41,561 to 41,580 of 41960

Thread: The Official Russian [USA Politics Thread]™

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steckersaurus View Post
    So. Is this incompetence on the part of the Republicans? Or deliberate malice, making higher education only available to the independently wealthy?
    it's obviously intentional, when building neo-feudalism restricting access to education is a good way to quiet dissent, especially when coupled with professionalising politics to such an extend that you cannot really function in the political system without a degree.

if you where "virtuous" (read "rich") enough to afford tuition then clearly you belong in the upper crust, if you are not, well then you best get back to the fields peasant.

that it's also going to be used to raise tuition fees by requiring professional tutors instead of letting universities exploit PHD students is just a added benefit, both in terms of profit extraction via student debt and for the bottom-line of universities.
    It's probably also intended to pave way for church and religious schools that don't offer formal degrees and whose teaching is basically bible-based while teaching relevant skills (just not critical thinking). They probably would have few classes only, but would consist mostly of apprenticeships in partner corporations. As the general approach seems to be moving towards proficiency-based diplomas, these skills could then be turned into a degree by a separate university or college. The removal of tax deductions from students/faculty members of proper universities and colleges would make these schools far more enticing than traditional schools. To me, it just seems like an effective strategy to both gut the liberal base and drive more people into the 'reeducation camps'.

But then again, the above is pretty far out in the land of conspiracy theories, I'm sure even Miep would be proud. More likely explanation would probably be that someone just went "fuck the liberal academia, let's cut their benefits".
    at this point, assuming the worst and reacting accordingly is a prudent course of action when it comes to politics, it's obvious that the "moderate center" has no fucking idea what they're doing so they aren't going to be acting as a "moderating force" on any of this bullshit, thus it's eminently reasonable to just assume that any and all initiative that serves to fuck over the 99% is going to get hijacked for nefarious purposes.

even if the intent right now is to fuck liberal academia the long term consequence is liable to end up somewhere around what you just described, though i suspect it will be somewhat broader than just religious schools, we will no doubt see non-religious permutations of the same underlying principle.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    So. Is this incompetence on the part of the Republicans? Or deliberate malice, making higher education only available to the independently wealthy?
    it's obviously intentional, when building neo-feudalism restricting access to education is a good way to quiet dissent, especially when coupled with professionalising politics to such an extend that you cannot really function in the political system without a degree.

if you where "virtuous" (read "rich") enough to afford tuition then clearly you belong in the upper crust, if you are not, well then you best get back to the fields peasant.

that it's also going to be used to raise tuition fees by requiring professional tutors instead of letting universities exploit PHD students is just a added benefit, both in terms of profit extraction via student debt and for the bottom-line of universities.
    It's probably also intended to pave way for church and religious schools that don't offer formal degrees and whose teaching is basically bible-based while teaching relevant skills (just not critical thinking). They probably would have few classes only, but would consist mostly of apprenticeships in partner corporations. As the general approach seems to be moving towards proficiency-based diplomas, these skills could then be turned into a degree by a separate university or college. The removal of tax deductions from students/faculty members of proper universities and colleges would make these schools far more enticing than traditional schools. To me, it just seems like an effective strategy to both gut the liberal base and drive more people into the 'reeducation camps'.

But then again, the above is pretty far out in the land of conspiracy theories, I'm sure even Miep would be proud. More likely explanation would probably be that someone just went "fuck the liberal academia, let's cut their benefits".
    at this point, assuming the worst and reacting accordingly is a prudent course of action when it comes to politics, it's obvious that the "moderate center" has no fucking idea what they're doing so they aren't going to be acting as a "moderating force" on any of this bullshit, thus it's eminently reasonable to just assume that any and all initiative that serves to fuck over the 99% is going to get hijacked for nefarious purposes.

even if the intent right now is to fuck liberal academia the long term consequence is liable to end up somewhere around what you just described, though i suspect it will be somewhat broader than just religious schools, we will no doubt see non-religious permutations of the same underlying principle.
    All of this brought to you by the 2 party system.. The whole mind set of 'if you arent with me you're against me' starts there...
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

I know it's not surprising, but the new republican tax plan does some really vicious shit to academia:

The bill proposes new taxes on some private-college endowments and on compensation for the highest-paid employees at nonprofit organizations, including colleges and nonprofit academic hospitals. The plan would also tax the tuition waivers that many graduate students receive when they work as teaching assistants or researchers.

Perhaps most significant, the bill would result in many fewer people itemizing their deductions for charitable gifts. Higher-education experts warned that that change could lead to a steep decline in donations to colleges.
    The bolded part will be devastating to many graduate programs. At my wife's university, their teaching fellows (PhD students they use to teach entry-level courses) make ~$21,000. They also get their tuition waived, which is between $40k and $50k IIRC.

So right now, she gets paid $21k and pays taxes on $21k. And if the waiver becomes taxable income, she'll get paid $21k and pay taxes on $60k or more. We will no longer take home enough money to live on, either I'd need to drop out of my engineering program to work, or she'd have to quit school to work. Both options are potentially ruinous to our career plans.

Works as intended: education is always a danger to regimes.

Trump feed fish and media went bananas.

Here’s the gif showing what really happened:

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    lol. It's a nice image though

CNN article isnt in that pic

I bet next beef against Trump will be about meeting with emperor.

"We now have a President who bows to no one." buhaha

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    twirling your hands in the air instead of clapping to prevent emotionally scarring someone
    wat
    Somewhere in the leftist database of stupid ideas of bullshit is that clapping (making loud noises) can trigger someone.

edit: So therefore clapping should be dissuaded and frowned upon.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ggers-anxiety/
    Yeah, no, that's dumb.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Crush View Post
    I bet next beef against Trump will be about meeting with emperor.

"We now have a President who bows to no one." buhaha
    Empress Michiko has bigger size shoes than Trump. Kek

Spoiler:
    I know this is distorted perspective, still funny.

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    twirling your hands in the air instead of clapping to prevent emotionally scarring someone
    wat
    Somewhere in the leftist database of stupid ideas of bullshit is that clapping (making loud noises) can trigger someone.

Yeah, no, that's dumb.
    This happened at the Washington state Democratic Convention last year. TBH I thought it was a bit silly, but it really made the experience of spending 12 hours in a convention hall full of people making brief speeches a *lot* less fatiguing.

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachesis VII View Post
    wat

Yeah, no, that's dumb.
    This happened at the Washington state Democratic Convention last year. TBH I thought it was a bit silly, but it really made the experience of spending 12 hours in a convention hall full of people making brief speeches a *lot* less fatiguing.
    is this an actual thing? fucking hell

The absolute state of the left
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

i need videoproofs

for science

Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    wat

Yeah, no, that's dumb.
    yep. Its pretty crazy; but I used to think all these things you see about snowflake college students was just jokes blown out of proportions; then I went to my girlfriends literally super-hippie college for a week, and no its actually true. They have separate lunches because there were enough vegans were freaking out about people eating meat in the same room as them. There was also some melt down between the kids taking the Forestry course and the tree huggers. Amazing, and smelly, scenes

On the bright side they will at least be crippled with debt for the rest of their lives paying off their tuition for illustrious degrees in highly desirable fields like Adventure Tourism and Sustainable Art.

Hyper-hippy sounds kinda cool.. Random thought for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    On the bright side they will at least be crippled with debt for the rest of their lives paying off their tuition for illustrious degrees in highly desirable fields like Adventure Tourism and Sustainable Art.
    That's OK, Saint Bernie will wave his hammer and sickle and cancel their student debt.

Edit: Wait, what?!? "Sustainable Art"?!? Is that really a thing?

Found a degree in "EcoGastronomy" from University of New Hampshire. Dual major, too!
    https://www.unh.edu/ecogastronomy/homepage

Fucking Millennials...
    Last edited by Don Rumata; November 8 2017 at 12:59:54 AM.

That's OK, Saint Bernie will wave his hammer and sickle and cancel their student debt.

Edit: Wait, what?!? "Sustainable Art"?!? Is that really a thing?

Found a degree in "EcoGastronomy" from University of New Hampshire.
    https://www.unh.edu/ecogastronomy/homepage

Fucking Millennials...
    I feel like you really need a hobby and a good lay
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Sorry, but you're not my type.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAfroMan View Post
    Sorry, but you're not my type.
    Educated?

(Boosh!)
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    wat

Yeah, no, that's dumb.
    yep. Its pretty crazy; but I used to think all these things you see about snowflake college students was just jokes blown out of proportions; then I went to my girlfriends literally super-hippie college for a week, and no its actually true. They have separate lunches because there were enough vegans were freaking out about people eating meat in the same room as them. There was also some melt down between the kids taking the Forestry course and the tree huggers. Amazing, and smelly, scenes

>being surprised at dramatic bullshit from uni students

I swear all the alt-righters screeching about SJWs either didn't finish their education or are strawmanning hard for attention